PDA

View Full Version : 13th lock. Short movie

Chanchito
09-05-2005, 06:59 PM
http://www.legendia.se/Martin/images/collage2.jpg
Hi everyone!

Finally back in sweden after my college graduation and decided to put my movie and reel online to get some feedback.

The 2 minute movie is heavily inspired by the Diablo and warcraft series and is supposed to be a short game cinematic inbetween levels. It mostly shows modeling and texturing but this past year I´ve begun working with animation and it has been a blast! The rigging in particular was great and felt very rewarding, once I got it to work though =) I didn´t go detail crazy on the character this time to make animation easier since it´s the first time I'm tackling animation which means, no dynamics and cloth simulation.

And here´s the meat and potatoes.

13th lock movie, right click to save(40mb):
http://212.105.84.59:8080/martin/movie.mov

demoreel, right click to save(80mb..sorry:sad: )
http://212.105.84.59:8080/martin/reel.mov

The movie does not have the sound effects added, only the music(5th element soundtrack).

The demoreel has the sound effects for the movie though, which is played at the end of the reel (will correct this in the near future). *Sound effects made by Pri studios*

Production sheet for the short movie: 13th lock

Production time

Design, modeling and texturing: 2 months
Rigging: 1 ˝ months
Animation: 2 months
Composition: 1 month

Total time: 6 ˝ months

Rig specs

IK/FK stretchable Spine
IK/FK arms with twist/rotation script
Reverse foot IK setup
“Stop staring” face setup method

Also a lot of other rigging jazz that I "invented" as the need for new solutions arose =)

Colour, specular, bump, displacement, alpha, diffuse and specular colour maps were used for texturing the character and environment.

50 Targa format textures were used that ranged from 512*512 to 2048*2048 in resolution.
Polycount for character, Smooth: 362849 triangles, regular: 153532 triangles
Polycount for environment: 417186 triangles

Shots in Maya were rendered out in 7 different layers:
Environment, character, specular, sky, shadows, particles, occlusion pass (dirt map).

Effects added in post-production using particle illusion and Adobe after effects:
Dust and grain, dust particles, environment glow, some armour/environment reflections/highlights, explosions, fire simulations, transition effects.

Tools used:
Maya
Photoshop
Particle Illusion
After effects

Chanchito
09-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Come on guys not a single comment.. is it that bad?

blz
09-07-2005, 02:07 PM
hi there Martin
i just watched it.
in fact i think its really good, there were some small bugs here and there, like the explosion 0 could use some lil more work, but this is really good piece.
ofcoz im talkin about "13th Lock"
the d/l for me was ver slow, maybe thats the reason why ppl dont comment this one.
i think its worth seeing.
nice modelling and texturing, good animation, interesting plot.
keep up the good work and all the best :)

zaipha
09-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Hey there,

I enjoyed watching your short film. Nice models and textures.It looks very much like a game cinematic.. your environment is pretty cool. The animation didnt blow me away, and I found the pacing kinda slow here and there, which I didnt mind since it was visually pleasant to look at. All in all, a pretty tight student film, especially for what is basically a one man job.

oh yeah...and I thought the lighting was really solid. There are some areas of improvement, but good job all around!

Kid-Mesh
09-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Modeling and texturing for the short film were just totally impressive bro...wow. You got a wild and vivid imagination, very cool. Some better or more audible sound effects would have helped to carry it but nonetheless it was very good.

The animation was ok but it wasnt terrible either, considering that you did "everything" I felt it defintely shows you have skill. Good luck man...

FatFatFatty
09-07-2005, 08:47 PM
I can't get the links to work. I'll try again later at home. Based on the pictures, the modelling and texturing look great.

hummersepp
09-08-2005, 02:50 PM
I liked your animation especially the atmoshere and great textures.
But there is one thing: you forgot the shadow of the character. So sometimes it looks like the figure flys over the bottom. Maybe you can also blur the shadows to get rid of the hard edges.
keep it up!

Heber
09-08-2005, 03:21 PM
very nice models and textures ! i can tell you worked very hard on this.
I thought the animation was lacking in alot of parts but for one person this is alot of work. Best of luck chancho.

Zoox
09-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Hi,
I really liked your short :applause: and your reel was great too :). great charactor I think he just looked really believeable, and the over all look of the short was really cool looking. what insperid you too make this short. I too have been wanting to make a short thats been in my head for some time now. your animation has made me really want to get moving on makeing my short now :) Thanks for the inspiration, and keep up the great work :thumbsup:

Chanchito
09-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Hey, thanks for all your feedback guys!Yeh my two major issues with this short is the overall animation and the lack of shadows between character and environment. In the end it boiled down to time constraints and render times but I hope my next project will be a bit stronger in those areas. Also I just started animating and so I´ll keep working on the basics of animation some more before sinking my teeth into another project like this again.

Right now I´m just happy the movie was well recieved=)

Hey Zaipha, thanks again, you´ve been a great support!

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2005, 10:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.