PDA

View Full Version : backflip test

dmonk
11-06-2002, 01:45 AM
Can I get a honest critique. Just some practice animation.

Test (http://www.toonfreak.com/~dmonk/flip.html)
Thanks!:wavey:

Rogue
11-06-2002, 02:43 AM
Ok, some things I see wrong

1) When he goes down to jump, his upperarms should bend back, his forearms need to bend up and he needs to bend at the waist some more.

2) When he first jumps, he goes nearly straight up and then goes backwards. He should be leaving the ground in the direction he wants to go.

3) When he recoils from the landing, he moves up too fast. He quickly pops back up. Slow that down some.

4) At the height of his jump, his limbs should be a little more tucked in. Bring his knees towards his head and his arms closer to his body.

5) In the beginning when he's looking up, have his waist move a little and his spine rotate as well. Now, his head is the only thing moving...and that just looks odd.

Address those issues and repost. We'll go from there.

dmonk
11-06-2002, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the input I'll work on it.

AWAKE
11-06-2002, 07:01 AM
Here's my crit:

Right now it's lookin pretty stiff, but there's a good foundation in there.

1. Keep him in frame so we can see the animation

2. Bend his back on the crouch before the jump as well as in the middle of the flip.

3. Backflips work by throwing the knees towards the chest. (It is in there, but right now it's too subtle. Exaggerate it.

4. The arms are not bending in the elbows.

add these to the list for the next run..

dmonk
11-07-2002, 01:50 AM
test (http://www.toonfreak.com/~dmonk/flip.html)

an update. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

AWAKE
11-07-2002, 06:14 AM
Much Better...

I think it can still be pushed further.

The Jump timing is off now. He stops in mid air and then continues down once the flip is done. He should continue his travel in one smooth arc, accelerating down for the landing. That will bring back the overall feel of the first try.

His back is not bending enough on the crouch. He is bending more from the waist right now. If his spine itself bent on the crouch and in the flip it would really loosen it up alot.

Rogue
11-07-2002, 06:46 AM
Yes, much better. I agree with AWAKE. It looks as though on the jump his velocity in the Z direction (assuming he's jumping in the z direction) comes to a brief stop at the height of his jump. It shoudn't do that. The only channel that should have some tension on it should be the y (at the height).

Bend those forearms up (towards his head) some when he crouches down.

Lastly, at the end, when he raises up, he just sort of comes to a stop. Give him a little over shoot when he straightens out. Try doing this: Go to the last keyframe of whatever object or bone you're using to move him with. Then create that same keyframed position 20 or 30 frames later. This should give him a little over shoot and the return to his position. Then adjust the timing and the curve between those two keyframes until it looks good.

You're getting there. Just some more tweaking (that's what I tell my boss) :)

MosaFacku
11-07-2002, 08:43 PM
here's what i see:

looks like you've got a lot of twinning going on.

the crouch looks a little slow to me.

the jump looks like an actor being raised by wires.

keep on tweakin ;) you'll get it.

Grayscale
11-07-2002, 09:34 PM
When he lands, the left knee freaks out abit. Also...I agree with Mosafacku on the twinning... Bend the arms more at the shoulders and at the elbows. His hands/fingers never move. Give him some movement in them (Like making a fist in the beginning and then release it once he lands.
Just keep working.

dmonk
11-08-2002, 02:29 AM
Probably no updates until this weekend as always thanks for the input though.
:wavey:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.