PDA

View Full Version : Graphic card question

orijinel
11-06-2002, 01:19 AM
I am working on a small movie(my first attempt). I have a mac dual 500mhz 960mb with a radeon card 32mb (osx.2). I was looking into getting an upgrade. If I upgraded to a radeon 8500 will I see a big difference from what I have now or should I stick with what I have now. The output will be vhs tape and cd. I plan on using photoshop 7, LW 7.5, and After effects 5.5.

Psyhke
11-06-2002, 02:42 AM
What is your current radeon? If you're going from a 7500 to an 8500...you may not see much difference.

I think you might need to jump up to something with a little more kick to really feel a difference. Do you know which nVidia cards are available for Mac? (I'm not sure if they all work with Mac:shrug: )

wgreenlee1
11-06-2002, 02:45 AM
A video card is only going to affect your refresh rates in openGL at least thats been my experience.
As far as rendering times I dont think youre going to see any affect thats mainly processor but with dual processors you should be clicking along anyway...

orijinel
11-06-2002, 03:46 AM
I am sorry it is a aty rage6 32mb card. I do not know of any Nivida cards avaliable. I do plan on getting the G2 when it comes out for the mac!!! Will a more powerful card help when I get this app. since it is in realtime.

Psyhke
11-06-2002, 04:05 AM
I don't think the video card will affect G2 much. Something like G2 is going to respond better with faster and faster processors.

A better video card, though, generally helps you out with one thing: working with 3D meshes in openGL (realtime). Moving points around, rotating models, etc. is where fast video card helps you out.

Going from your older ATI to a radeon 8500, I would say you would notice a difference (in the way mentioned above). How much of a difference? Depends on what your expctations are, so the answer is sort of relative, if you know what I mean.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.