PDA

View Full Version : Handling videos

Leonard
11-06-2002, 12:15 AM
Hi guys,

There are going to be some issues with the use of video and handling them, so I'll just point out a few things.

1) I have to code a separate challenge submission and viewing system for handling Quicktime files.

2) Final showcase will only be acceptable as Quicktime so that we maintain consistency and view the files embedded in webpages. Although other technologies (Windows Media, Real and DivX) provide just as good compression quality, we all have to settle on one standard so that everyone can view the files embedded in webpages - so we're using Quicktime.

3) If you haven't already, please learn how to compress videos into Quicktime format using the Sorenson encoder.

4) When compressing videos, please look out for "Prepare for Internet Streaming" - Fast Start. This makes your file progressively download.

I will write a tutorial of sorts for those who've never handled web video before. It is possible to get really good quality at 320x240 over the web while retaining a small filesize.

For WIP, we can't give out webspace but the final selections on CG Challenge will have space for your animations - it won't be much, so do learn how to compress those videos!

Leo

CobraX
11-09-2002, 09:25 PM
Hey Leonard,

Can you or anyone else, tell me how to put the video i recorded on a DV cam to a computer? What software do i need to use.

Thank you.

Leonard
11-09-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by CobraX
Hey Leonard,

Can you or anyone else, tell me how to put the video i recorded on a DV cam to a computer? What software do i need to use.

Thank you.

Oh boy...

- Firewire card
- Adobe Premiere or editing software that can interface with Firewire

Leo