PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular 2D Entry: Atle Mæland

am7
09-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Atle Mæland is entered in the "Spectacular Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/view_entries.php?challenger=7955)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: Decided on a final concept
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7955/7955_1128689896_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2716401#post2716401)

Arc80
09-05-2005, 08:18 PM
hahaha, good to see you again mate.

Comlock
09-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Looking forward to your entry du norske glunt..

NOOB!
09-05-2005, 08:46 PM
welcome back am! liked ur m and s entry.

am7
09-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks guys! I'm currently very busy with freelacing work (doing 2d gfx for a game). So it might take a while before I get my pencil kicking out some concepts, but once I do I'll promise to keep a good progress. Good luck to you all! I'll make sure to check you'r threads regulary and try to help with some comments.

am7
09-06-2005, 06:25 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7955/7955_1126027501_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7955/7955_1126027501_large.jpg)

So.. i did sit down in the couch anyway, with my pencil and sketched something. But without any new idea yet come to my mind I just did a revision sketch of an concept I also did for my old master and servant entry.

Not really going to do anything with this idea, but the composition might spawn some new ideas for me later.

umbrellasky
09-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for this, good luck with your ideas!

NOOB!
09-06-2005, 06:28 PM
yeh i was gunna say this is very similar to ur m & s,cmon work that head of urs!!!

Arc80
09-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Look who is starting out really early. Good start. THis better be spectacular or else i'll fly to Norway and give you some :wip: , hehehe. Goodluck buddy and i'll be watching.

cheers

duddlebug
09-06-2005, 07:09 PM
This looks fun!! :)

I'll have to check out your M&S entry...

forbidden.inspiration
09-06-2005, 09:33 PM
turtles are my favorite! I love the concept. Cant wait to see what you do with it.

am7
09-07-2005, 12:59 PM
enialadam: thanks! I'm also curious on what my ideas will spawn, always exciting in the start.

NOOB!: Yes, I know.. I'm working my imagination and twisting my hair, and somethings slowly evolving. I now have a first quick concept sketch for something I'd like to start with..

Arc80: Haha, good to know that someone will spam me if I get lazy and inactive in this challenge! I'll do the same for you then! :)

duddlebug: Hey man, thanks! I just loove you'r style, its so simplistic but yet express so much. I'm following you'r ideas aswell closely, I like the circus idea. Keep it up! (Oh, and I added my master and servant entry to my signature, incase anyone else wants to see it aswell..)

forbidden.inspiration: Thanks! I love turtles aswell, but I'm not going with this concept though, I've gotten to sketch something much better now.. It will feature some animals but not sure if I'll get to include a turtle. We'll see :)

Oh, and just for a update.. I've done some composition sketches on my new idea, but I won't really post anything yet until I got a composition I can work with. Should not take to long though before I'll get something right that I think is worth posting as a concept, but until I do.. I'll have to keep you waiting. :)

am7
09-07-2005, 08:48 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7955/7955_1126122505_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7955/7955_1126122505_large.jpg)

So I decided to post one of my early concepts after all.. Since one of the main ideas behind challenges like this are to show everything through our workprocess.

The idea I got in my head so far.. this girl on the 3wheel bike, screeches in the tires as she's sliding around a corner. I'm still not sure about the other character involved in this. But my first composition idea I have a dog with goggles on sitting in a one wheel cabin connected to her bike. But as you can see it gives some problems with the giant jet engines she got installed. Which btw. comes from an old mad scientist that has done some "minor" modifications to her bike. He's hanging on behind her, screaming - almost a sec. from flying out into the air. And then there is another wierd small creature (gizmo) in her pocket.

Hm.. that's all?

No! I forgot, ofcourse i'll include a villain.. was first thinking of some kind of wizard behind her raging at his tower with his hands out in the air (casting spells, and summoning magical guards to chase her). And why do they chase her? Well.. she has her schoolsack full of gold and magical items she has stolen from the wizard.

But wizard? that's been done before.. I might think of something more original. And I might not go with this concept at all.. time will show.

Comments?

Comlock
09-07-2005, 09:33 PM
I like the idea=) It can be a realy spectacular and fun painting. Cant wait to see some consept sketches of those :bounce:

Arc80
09-08-2005, 01:51 AM
comparing both of your sketches. I'm leaning towards the first one. The turtle looks coool :D but theres more time, so we'll see what happens. Yes, and expect a lot of spamming from me :twisted:

cheers

am7
09-08-2005, 07:06 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7955/7955_1126202764_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7955/7955_1126202764_large.jpg)

Okay.. so this is my first draft.. didn't do any thumbnails here, so I should perhaps do that in order to improve my composition. Not even sure if I'll go with this theme.

As usual I was kinda satisfied with the girl and dog character and couldnt help myself doing some details.

If I'm going with this, ill change the entire background.. not sure though yet what will happen there. And ofcourse I'm not happy with my design of the mad inventor, not even sure if I'll include him.. might think of someone else to be hanging on the back of her bike screaming.

So enough doodling for today.. I'll try to think of something cooler, in the meanwhile give me some comments about this pic please. Should i work on it and improve it? or loose it and do something else?

umbrellasky
09-08-2005, 07:15 PM
wow cool! Great sense of excitement! Nice work, I can't wait to see some more updates :)

NOOB!
09-08-2005, 07:17 PM
schweet! Am7,didn't know u had it in u,especially since ur m and s was a pretty fast decision.

this looks really great,nice angle.

spacesnail
09-08-2005, 09:07 PM
That's really funny :thumbsup::thumbsup: Especially love the dog Ha HA...I don't clearly the spectacular side but I love your pic.

Cheers

Manu

Arc80
09-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Looking good. I'm hoping this time you would stick to one idea...wait, i shouldn't say that since i do the same, hehehe.
Anyway, really like the angle choice. Something really interesting developing on this one. will be waiting for more :thumbsup:

peaze

Comlock
09-09-2005, 06:31 AM
I realy like this. So fun and exiting all at the same time.
Great Consept. I like the idea that the dogs tounge is hanging out and waving in the wind like that =)

beelow
09-09-2005, 07:12 AM
Nice composition, hope to see more from ya,holla!:thumbsup:

am7
09-09-2005, 10:38 AM
enialadam: hehe thanks, i also like the dynamic feeling of this perspective.

NOOB!: Thanks man, i hope I can do something better as I have more time on this than I had on my M&S entry. :)

spacesnail: Hehe, that dog rules! it's actually my girlfriend little sisters dog. And the cool thing is that it looks just like a fox (yes, it even has a white pointed tale). You can check out more images of theese characters at my webpage.

Arc80: Yep.. I'm really ready to change my concept again. Just waiting for that excellent idea to pop in my head. Cause as spacesnail said, It's not quite obvious what the picture has to do with the theme "spectacular". In the meanwhile I'll try out some stuff as this concept along the way. It's good for spawning composition ideas etc.

Comlock: Waving tongue in the wind, I like that to - it's exactly what was missing in my first concept of the dog in order to give the correct character perception of him that I wanted.

beelow: Thanks! You'll see much more from me. (I hope)

ihamid
09-09-2005, 11:41 AM
cool pov and the characters! for a doodle its pretty awesome:) !

xric7
09-10-2005, 05:42 AM
very nice sketch!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
can't wait for more.

am7
09-10-2005, 12:51 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7955/7955_1126353069_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7955/7955_1126353069_large.jpg)

Hm, so I still haven't figured out what I should decide on to draw for the "spectacular" theme.

Meanwhile, I evolved my idea on this concept. I'm planning to put an gnome on her back, with glasses and lots of potions hanging around his robe. And he's holding a casket, which is full of unicorns. That they collected from the tree-ent chasing them.

It still doesn't relate so much to the theme "spectacular" so I'll not go with this. Atleast I hope I come up with something more original and suited for this challenge.

NOOB!
09-10-2005, 04:57 PM
i really like,isn't that one of the tree guys from lotr?

umbrellasky
09-10-2005, 05:58 PM
haha! Cool idea! I like what you've done with this. Nice work! I'm looking forward to seeing the Gnome :thumbsup:

am7
09-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Hehe, perhaps he looks like three-beard? :) I'll have to move on soon I think. To something more spectacular.. Just so hard to get an idea I think is original enough.

Will leave it for some days, and then come back fresh and start sketching.

Arc80
09-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Hey, where the hell did that gnome came from?, hehe. I kinda like the mad scientist better. It somehow fits the story much better. Guess we all have to wait for another update.

peace :thumbsup:

Vahn
09-10-2005, 09:50 PM
bah no monkeys this time! :(

hehe looks pretty cool so far ... maybe the tree could throw them or something :D

beelow
09-10-2005, 09:52 PM
You r steppin up with this image good stuff, I check back, lata!:thumbsup:

luciferous
09-10-2005, 11:04 PM
looks nice but your right its not quite fitting for the them spectacular, maybe make it more grand up the scale abit have it so its not just an ent after the wee lassy, maybe the whole forest (including ravenous squirrels and mongooses/ mongeese/ mongi!.... what ever, lol

Leep it up

am7
09-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Arc80: Hehe, yeah.. perhaps the scientist is a better choice. Will do some character study later sometime.

Vahn: No monkeys on this challenge sorry :) Atleast I think so..

beelow: Thanks man!

luciferous: I agree, and I've finally got my theme straight!

So just wanted to update you, I got my theme nailed down I think (doing something completely different from this). And I am just now sketching and doing thumbnails to look for the best approach to get the composition and feeling I want. I'll post the sketches/thumbnails later if I have problems selecting one to continue with. But for now I'll keep my theme/idea abit secret. :)

am7
09-14-2005, 08:32 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7955/7955_1126726329_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7955/7955_1126726329_large.jpg)

So new concept.. pretty "out there" stuff this time. Not sure if it works so good. I'm thinking in real large scale here, with lots of nice details. Like people trapped inside the city (dirty with moss etc), trying to get out from an invisible shield. And the people in his net.

Also I want to have him come out of the skies to show the real huge scale this is. And to add abit more character to it I'm planning to sketch a couple characters looking up at him from the foreground to the left.

What do you think? I think perhaps it atleast could be considered as spectacular concept.

Oh, and I'm not sure about the composition yet.. might do some thumbnails later.

xric7
09-14-2005, 09:11 PM
.. Like people trapped inside the city (dirty with moss etc), trying to get out from an invisible shield. And the people in his net.

realy cool concept.I like it a lot.the sketch is excellent.cheers.:thumbsup:

Vahn
09-15-2005, 12:43 AM
nice idea and sketch ... the hands are good :thumbsup: and i like the smug expression on his face hehe

Llynna
09-15-2005, 01:03 AM
he has a really cool facial expression. i think this idea is really promising, maybe there can be some little people tying to climp him too

waiting for the next sketch :thumbsup:

Arc80
09-15-2005, 02:39 AM
I think it's another great idea. I'm definately liking the goat looking creature. the idea is definately interesting to play around with. Is that creature catching people like butterflies or what? i guess i have to find out later, hehe.

cheers

FrozZT
09-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Hi!

Really nice sketch and concept! You should give the "human catcher" (or whatever you call him) a belt with glasscontainers hanging from it, with people in them! That would be cool :p

am7
09-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Thanks for comments guys! But I've decided to go with something completely different again. :) I remember when I was a kid the most spectacular thing for me, was the first time I went to a circus. So I want to do a circus themed picture. Planning to include the following characters:

wolfman
woman with beard
sword swallower
clowns
acrobactic twins

And ofcourse the sircus director. Not quite sure how I will angle it though, if I'll make like an action pose. Or if I will draw them IN action showing off to the crowd. We often think of something different or unique/never seen before as something spectacular. But why is that so? I hope to get this through this concept.

Comlock
09-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Love the Sketch!=) Yeah, and the composition could have been changed so the camera would either be from above or beneath to make the goat creature seem bigger and more mysterious. But then it would be harder to draw those people in that "butterflycatcher-thing" I guess ^^

Oh, Like your new idea. That can be very spectacular if you get it right!
im shure you will..

Keep up the great work :bounce:

MarieL
09-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Love the sketches! I'd try and get some time to scan some of my drawings in and comment some more around here..I don't really have much time to do so though. :(

Arc80
09-25-2005, 06:51 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Stop being lazy and put something up :p
Now hurry up and draw, hehehe :D

cheers

am7
10-07-2005, 01:58 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7955/7955_1128689896_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7955/7955_1128689896_large.jpg)

Whoah! It's really hectic here atm. I'm working on graphics for a game, and I've also got school and stuff..

Seems like I'll finish this very close to the deadline (58days left).

Anyway, I've decided on a concept.. I just need to move on I think. And this is the best idea I've got so far I think. I wanted to emphasise the spectacularness of our dreams, how many time's haven't we dreamt of being able to fly etc.

Well that's what I want to capture, I've selected a small girl as the subject of this. And I'm planning to have her at the bottom of my image, sleeping.. and then the image fades into her dreams above, flying on some wild large insects/butterflies perhaps or something like that? I just tried out a couple of pose's I'd imagine could work.. And I've also done a very quick composition-thumbnail on the right as you can see.

Sorry for the lack of update guys! I'm not lazy, im just very busy atm.! :) I'll finish this though, no matter how many nights I have to spend painting.

Arc80
10-08-2005, 05:43 AM
Excuses, excuses, excuses....hehehe. I said draw something not squiggle a bunch of lines :twisted: Just kidding bro. Good to see you finally up and running i hope. I like the sketch, very realistic on capturing a kid and i like the new concept too. So i guess i have to wait for more update (i wonder when would that be....... :p ) pardon my sarcasm.

cheers bro

Arc80
11-10-2005, 10:10 PM
So where is this good idea.... i'm waiting bro :D :p

catch you later bro. Hope everything is well over there :thumbsup:

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2005, 10:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.