PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular 3D Entry: Robert Mack

Pages : [1] 2 3

DaddyMack
09-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Robert Mack is entered in the "Spectacular Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/view_entries.php?challenger=7930)

Latest Update: Final Image: The other side
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1133707634_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2879392#post2879392)

hhssuu
09-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Hello fellow australian, nice to see you at it again and good luck :thumbsup:

DaddyMack
09-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Lets geddit on lets geddit on lets geddit onnn...

I'm gonna play with the topic for a while before throwing up any sketches;)

Looking forward to a good clean fight folks...

:wavey: see you in your threads

Lemog
09-05-2005, 02:10 PM
It's a true good thing you're here an another time Robert... that certainly a great pleasure to follow this thread and best wishes for you :thumbsup:

monsitj
09-05-2005, 02:25 PM
yeah! how are you , glad to see you here again! good luck man!

Gunilla
09-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Hey Daddy! Looking forward to see what you come up with this time - have fun :wavey:

erilaz
09-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Ahh... splendid. :D

Have fun with this one Robert... I expect vast and impressive things!

Neeno
09-05-2005, 02:59 PM
hey man all the best in your entry dude! :thumbsup:

CryingHorn
09-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Hey mate, it's nice to see you here again :thumbsup: good luck!

Icarus
09-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Good Luck, Definatly Looking foward to seeing what can be done by the Aussies :D

TheFirstAngel
09-05-2005, 05:32 PM
dripdroppin by to wish ya best of luck and loadsa Daddy Mackey Fun and a great trip! weeeeeeeeeeeeeee good to see you're in!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

handlebar
09-05-2005, 05:34 PM
DaddyMac is back and i'm taking a front row seat. Can't wait to see what you have installed for us.

6foot5
09-05-2005, 06:09 PM
good to see you back...good luck !

eddieellis
09-05-2005, 06:18 PM
hey my cg buddy, looking forward to working with you agian, best of luck to ay dude. i cant wait to see what zany things you come up with this time.

3dRaven
09-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Good to see you in this one too Daddy M. Can't wait to see your next crazy idea. Keepin my fingers crossed :D

AIR
09-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Hi pal,,,I just have this grin,,,this huge smile over my face,,,I can't wait to see
what U'r up to.
Seeya Robert.

ace4016
09-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Good luck:thumbsup:

DaddyMack
09-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Hi pal,,,I just have this grin,,,this huge smile over my face,,,I can't wait to see
what U'r up to.
Me too mate! Cheers... I can't wait to see what \pwOps/ out of my skull with this:D I'm just gonna let the concept settle into my brainspace for a coupla days...

BIG THANKS to all you guys too, for making me feel so welcome here again *sniff.. wipes tear from cheek* You're the best!:bowdown:

blakbird
09-06-2005, 06:33 AM
Good luck!! :)
Let the best wins.

Climax
09-06-2005, 06:41 AM
• Hey there Robert! Great to see u in, I wish u FFFFFFUN!
:beer:

arLutiK
09-06-2005, 07:15 AM
Hey Mack mate!

Good to see you back.

sonicstrawbery
09-08-2005, 11:57 AM
woot !

I hadn't seen your thread man, glad to see you around !
I wish you the best of luck and i can't wait to see your concepts :buttrock:

:thumbsup:

Neeno
09-08-2005, 04:10 PM
ok enough time for concept to settle in the brain... no it must settle on the forums.. lets go! :thumbsup:

DaddyMack
09-08-2005, 09:21 PM
ok enough time for concept to settle in the brain... no it must settle on the forums.. lets go! :thumbsup:

Indeed... I lay there after bundying off from work at midnight, still caffeinated, picturing explosions, lens flares, exaggerated perspectives and lots of shiny things and I just thought how F**king lame... I realised that if I don't approach this pfoject from a 'connecting' angle (mental, emotional, spiritual) then it aint gonna hold my attention for 3 months... Spiritual... Hmm that could work... While the actual image is still unclear, I plan to somehow communicate the spirit world in this piece- in an umm.. spectacular way of course...;) For now tho, all I can toss into the ring is a name...

'...The other side...'

:D:wavey:

handlebar
09-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Droools with anticipation http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gif Is that the other side of this side or the other side of the other side. lol. Way cool concept with lots of scope.

Russell-Nash
09-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Hey, nice to see you in here. :thumbsup:

Good luck.

Russel

kmest
09-09-2005, 12:05 PM
hey its good to have you here again robert daddy,,,,,waiting to see some scetches:thumbsup:

DaddyMack
09-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Hey hey hoowuhuhuhuhuh...Umm.. sorry... Damn early morning krusty possessions... I should get more sleep...

I took a break from all my work and met up with cgtalk member Muzwan last night... Mental, mental evening:thumbsup:... Anyways, I came up with a coupla ideas while killing off my few remaining brain cells.

Likeable idea 1 a big doom and gloom alien ship shooting a massive beam into earth, earth already in the initial stages of exploding, chunks flying everywhere and thousands of spirits fleeing the destruction...

2 A shaman conjuring up a portal for his apprentice into the spirit world, I'm seeing a vortexy tunnel with massive shafts of light and dark, many, many spirits, in, and representing the light and in darkness...

3 A death scene- yet undetermined cast and venue- with an insight into our world as it would be seen from the eyes of a spirit who has just left their bod... I see characters subtlely overlaid with their spirits, communicating their true intentions and a gateway or heaven and hell kind of aspect of the spirits both coming from above and below to retrieve their freshly freed soul...

Needless to say, it was a great night and I'm more than a little hungover this morn, I'll bounce these ideas and some others around my head this weekend and hopefully I can toss a sketch into the ring soon... Right now I'm off to go paint with my kids in the garage:P :wavey:

JacquesPena
09-10-2005, 01:22 AM
Going to suggest idea 2 and 3. The shaman idea would look great visually, but the death scene would make for a dramatic scene. Story wise the death scene be beyond your average idea, which is great. But not to take away from the shaman idea also. You could definetly make some great effects reagrding light and dark.

Good luck and get going.:thumbsup:

ace4016
09-10-2005, 04:42 AM
I like the death concept! hehe, it's about time i find someone who's doing something with souls. Waiting to see some sketches or hear more ideas.

alexfalchi
09-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Heye buddy!! have best luck!!:thumbsup:

Alex.

Claireabella
09-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Hey Daddy Mack. Good luck with the challenge - can tell you're having fun already........! :bounce:

DaddyMack
09-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Sleepinglion.. ace4016.. Thanks for the endorsements guys, this is always the hardest part of the process for me... finding a concept I can commit to realising... Much appreciated;)

alexfalchi.. You Legend! great to see you here again my friend:thumbsup:

Claireabella.. Humble thanks, and it's only just begun:D... I plan to really enjoy this ride:bounce:

I did a little inspiration shopping for the death scene concept and found these for anyone interested
http://www.ucalgary.ca/applied_history/tutor/imagemid/inferno.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/bruegel/mad-meg.jpg
http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Global/8/87F9139F-9048-4B33-9C12-C48A933FFAC3/0/chp_lovers_blake.jpg
http://www.rudehouse.com/desktops/1280/Inferno-1280.jpg

I'm kind of liking the potential of creating a fairly realistic scene with a fearsome spirit element but still as yet not quite committed...

Gunilla
09-11-2005, 06:26 AM
Dont forget this one (http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/bosch/delight/delightr.jpg)
Garden of earthly delights - lots of yummy details here...

This is going to be a fun one to follow - no doubts you will make it something shining in your own twisted way. Now, some sketches please :)

eddieellis
09-11-2005, 08:25 AM
Hey Mate... still waiting ?

handlebar
09-11-2005, 12:11 PM
OK DaddyMack, stop watching the cricket and get to work. http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

makaron
09-11-2005, 02:06 PM
*pour a lot of coffee* into DaddyMack letīs see if that helps.
get you crayons and lets us see what you are up to... :bounce:

soapy
09-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Hey Daddy-M, good to see you in again. Looking forward to seeing what crazy visages boil to the surface this time around... cheers, good luck.

DaddyMack
09-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Hmmm... Gunilla.. (cheers, that was actually what I was looking for, I couldn't remember it's name) eddieellis.. handlebar.. makaron.. Thanks for riding me and cracking that whip! Much appreciated:buttrock:and Soapy.. great to see you here again too mate;)

I really dig the ideas I've posted thus far but realised when approaching them with my good ol 2b that they're more 'the other side' than they are spectacular... Being that the challenge is called spectacular, and after re-reading the brief, I figured it would be smarter to do some rethinking... I did some and currently I'm looking at combining as many sppectacular things as I can into one image...

and it goes a little sumthin like thiis..

Concept 4- We've just trekked to the top of one of the highest mountains in Tibet, it's sunrise and we're above the clouds, in the distance the tops of mountains and clouds are bathed in the bright oranges to hot reds of sunrise, it's misty, dewy and mysterious... On the plateau we've reached, surrounded by huge statues of deities, there is a massive and ornate monastery which houses an obscure order of monks who- (undecided branches) / breed and train some sort of mythological flying creature and or \ Practice the art of astral travel... I envisage a monk to be passing us on our path to the temple, head bowed, no eye contact, but we see his spirit, trailing behind him somehow, it warmly acknowledges our presence, while on the midground, around the monastery, there is either a display of astral spirits or monks flying upon winged beasts... 'The other side'

I love my brain sometimes:D...

I'll give this concept a day to settle in and do a little research, but I get the feeling that I'm almost on track now...
:wavey:

Atwooki
09-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Rob, Rob, Rob - How are ya doing my friend and mentor?
Great minds think alike:

Concept 4- We've just trekked to the top of one of the highest mountains in Tibet, it's sunrise and we're above the clouds, in the distance the tops of mountains and clouds are bathed in the bright oranges to hot reds of sunrise, it's misty, dewy and mysterious... On the plateau we've reached, surrounded by huge statues of deities, there is a massive and ornate monastery which houses an obscure order of monks who- (undecided branches) / breed and train some sort of mythological flying creature and or \ Practice the art of astral travel... I envisage a monk to be passing us on our path to the temple, head bowed, no eye contact, but we see his spirit, trailing behind him somehow, it warmly acknowledges our presence, while on the midground, around the monastery, there is either a display of astral spirits or monks flying upon winged beasts... 'The other side'
Take out the winged beastie and astral travel, and this is so damn close to the concept I was going to submit, I'm reluctant to do so now :rolleyes:

You have to be psychic, man :eek::eek::eek: It's frightening....!

Edit: Spend ages downloading the most useful reference for this too...Best of Luck, and watching closely ;)
C.

DaddyMack
09-13-2005, 03:59 AM
Rob, Rob, Rob - How are ya doing my friend and mentor?
Great minds think alike:

Take out the winged beastie and astral travel, and this is so damn close to the concept I was going to submit, I'm reluctant to do so now :rolleyes:

You have to be psychic, man :eek::eek::eek: It's frightening....!

Edit: Spend ages downloading the most useful reference for this too...Best of Luck, and watching closely ;)
C.

Gadzoox!! I was wondering where that thought came from... Sorry Chris, it came to me in half sleep too bro- Spooky... Now I'm a psychic pilferer as well... (adds to CV)

I'm kinda thinking that there's gonna be lots of explosion threads, lots of shiny threads, lots of fast threads, and, (like this one) lots of altitude threads... It could be fun to try and outzen each other mate... Today I'm thinking of going a slightly alien buddhist theme but unsure, it's still growing... Go nuts with it, never mind me and my little concept Chris;) It's a big world after all...

Oh, and btw it spins me out to think that a friend who I look up to for so much would call me 'mentor' ...Humble thanks for giving me my afternoon chuckle:scream:... You Legend!

Gunilla
09-13-2005, 07:08 AM
I love my brain sometimes:D...

And so do we :thumbsup:

This is a really cool concept - can't help but thinking Tintin in Tibet here... flying monks, strange yetis... lots of fun mysterious things happening. Shangri-la!
This will be a suitable project for you, I'm looking forward to the first sketches!

Hooch
09-13-2005, 08:10 AM
DaddyMack (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=85530)! Good to see you again man, now stop talking & start working! :scream:
This time we have more time than the last time!! :D

Go go go! :bounce:

DaddyMack
09-13-2005, 10:25 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1126603526_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1126603526_large.jpg)

And I said to myself once again it's on!

We've just trekked to the top of one of the highest mountains in Tibet, it's sunrise and we're above the clouds, in the distance the tops of mountains and clouds are bathed in the bright oranges to hot reds of sunrise, it's misty, dewy and mysterious... On the plateau we've reached, surrounded by huge statues of deities, there is a massive and ornate monastery which houses an obscure order of monks who breed and train dragons... The rest kind of writes itself...

Sorry for the wacked perspective... I'm just itching to rip into some polys...

ihamid
09-13-2005, 10:52 AM
hey nice .. never know it might actualy exist!:) cool concept!
cheers mate!

handlebar
09-13-2005, 11:27 AM
could be an epic DaddyMac, i like the way the storyline is developing http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gif

DaddyMack
09-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Gunilla.. You made me blush... Thanks:love:

Hooch.. Hey man, thanks for dropping in on me and laying the boot in;) and yeah, that extra month will hopefully make a huge difference

DaddyMack.. Well it's about bloody time!

yunisirees.. Thank you kindly, I had to strip back many layers of consciousness to find this concept

handlebar.. Much appreciated mate:thumbsup: I'm ready to take the plunge and let it make itself now...

Yeesh! I've never really tried to create such a complex scene and I haven't really got it figured yet how I'm gonna tackle this... I'm thinking I'll run a lowpoly mockup of the scene to layout the relationships of the many elements and then get into some serious modelling and see how far that takes me...

Any suggestions?:shrug::wavey:

JamesMK
09-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Yeesh! I've never really tried to create such a complex scene and I haven't really got it figured yet how I'm gonna tackle this... I'm thinking I'll run a lowpoly mockup of the scene to layout the relationships of the many elements and then get into some serious modelling and see how far that takes me...
That is usually the best way to handle big scenes like this... simple proxy objects... makes it easy to see what it takes to make the composition work, and also makes it a breeze to set up the lighting.

I like the overall idea here, however I would prefer a slightly different camera angle... not looking down as much as in your sketch, but closer to zero pitch.... but such things are also easy to experiment with once you have your proxies set up :wise:

claudiojordao
09-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Hello DaddyMack, I very anxious to see that alternative postcard of Tibet :)
Maybe it will convince me to do that voyage I've ever dreamed off.

ziriguidum
09-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Hi, DaddyMack.

I like dragons. :D . Good Luck.

DaddyMack
09-13-2005, 09:21 PM
JamesMK.. Cheers James, will do... I apologise again for the whacked perspective... I was trying to get zero g, looking up, but my pencil kept having me look down... I'm on drugs (hopped up on painkillers after dental surgery) And will be all week so I probably wont make any real sense until then... Assuming that I make sense sometimes:argh:... Thanks for your advice:thumbsup:

claudio_jordao.. ziriguidum.. Thanks guys, I'll try not to disappoint;)

Now to get my hands dirty in Maya... I see Pixologic has released a Zbrush 2 demo... (rubs hands in anticipation) I've been looking for an excuse to add that baby to my toolkit...

Hooch
09-13-2005, 09:38 PM
hmmm... Myst, monks, dragons...

You gotta a lot of work to do mate! :eek:
but your concept is worth while the effort. :wise: :thumbsup:

DaddyMack
09-13-2005, 10:45 PM
hmmm... Myst, monks, dragons...

You gotta a lot of work to do mate! :eek:
but your concept is worth while the effort. :wise: :thumbsup:

A lot of work indeed... I'm gonna write a process checklist and outline shortly...

I love jumping in at the deep end... Now let's see if I can still remember how to swim:argh:...

Thanks for the boost Hooch;)

eddieellis
09-13-2005, 10:50 PM
hey Daddym... get modelling already will ya..... lol

otherwise you might as well work on a 2d thread.... only joking dude, :thumbsup:

Ramteen
09-13-2005, 10:59 PM
hey man , It looks like good .:thumbsup:

Lemog
09-13-2005, 11:20 PM
I like a lot your latest concept... I imagine well the monastery, dragon, mountain, etc... with an impressive sight... for a spectacular show :bounce: :wip: Go !

AIR
09-13-2005, 11:30 PM
I like the idea Daddy man.
i should be shame of my self,,I started in D&D challenge,,and my idea was to create
somekind of dragon in epic struggle with hero,,or somethin like that..dunno if I finish it now with spectacular at hand.
Anyway,,I like the concept you are after.Really bugs me how you pull this one out.
Whatever goes on Im here to stay until it ends..seeya soon Daddy man. :thumbsup:

ace4016
09-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Great concept. Along with a better perspective, maybe you could aslo as some motion in the scene, like a few dragons doing something (doesn't have to be all action packed and all). Just a suggestion.

DaddyMack
09-14-2005, 02:07 AM
eddieellis.. Hah! Made me laugh mate... I'm always a little slow off the mark... I'll hit my strides soon me thinks... Did I mention I'm on drugs, recovering from dental surgery -with the cu-tting and the dri-lling and sti-tchiiing bwooheyyhey... Damn you frinky not now...

Ramtin_moom.. thanks man!

Lemog.. much appreciated Lemog, it's going to be a long road to this final destination...

A I R.. I'd just started a character WIP and this came on... needless to say the character is gathering dust atm... The concept came when (after trying to do what I thought other people would call spectacular) I looked inside myself to find a concept that would affect me deeply if it was my experience...\pwop/ out it came and now my mind is in the clouds over Tibet...

ace4016.. Absolutely will do! Thanks for watching over me mate

I'm too smashed atm to really start modelling I might make a project list soon... for now, I'm gonna go curl up with some silly dvds and feel sorry for me for a little while... Save my seat yeah... I wont be long:wavey:

DaddyMack
09-14-2005, 06:25 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1126675557_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1126675557_large.jpg)

Hi guys, just a quick little play in Maya to check out the scene... Aaahh humble, innocent beginnings... it all seems so simple... now...

Lemog
09-14-2005, 06:32 AM
It's very pleasant, but when I saw your previous sketch... I imagine a more impressive framing... especially more depth... but maybe it's only my imagination... and monastery ? :)

makaron
09-14-2005, 08:00 AM
like you concept... this one can emerge to something really nice, with lot of things to look at and little stories in the story.

but DaddyMack I have 3 questions...
where are you gonna put the fireplace? and the coffeepot? do dragons eat nuts?... :bounce:

chrish
09-14-2005, 08:24 AM
Dragons, where did they go! such a great idea. I hear that, poly time,

-ch

My Spectacular (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=275761)

handlebar
09-14-2005, 12:40 PM
A small acorn now, a mighty oak later, me thinks. http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gif

ihamid
09-14-2005, 02:29 PM
nice the latest sketch! but i have to agree with lemog the previouse one had more dynamic dof and that cool pov! and the monastery :D!

DaddyMack
09-14-2005, 07:59 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1126724384_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1126724384_large.jpg)

Hi Guys... Sorry, I can't get my head around the composition atm... I may be trying to combine too many things... I'm striving toward spectacular in every aspect... I'll probably begin some modelling today and play with the composition as the picture clarifies itself throughout the challenge... Thanks for watchin over me;)

DaddyMack
09-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Lemog.. I wholeheartedly agree... Thank you for your honesty my friend... I'll endeavour to create some sense of grandeur in every aspect. I'm planning to find myself a book on composition theory asap

makaron.. Thanks Mona, It's going to be busy... and yes, yes and yes;)

chrish.. My brain is full... the dragons must have pwopped out one of my ears... Poly time indeed!

handlebar.. A humble bow to you my friend for the kindest words yet sent my way at cgtalk:bowdown: I'm hoping I can give it some real soul...

yunisirees.. I agree on all counts as well, it needs much, much work!

This is looking to be a mammoth project for my little brain to crunch out but I feel compelled to give it my energy already, still in its humblest form... Thank you my imaginary friends out there for your magic support and advice, without you folk holding my hand I don't think I'd undertake such an overwhelming mission...*sniff... wipes away another tear*
You guys rock!:bowdown: :wavey:

3dRaven
09-15-2005, 12:26 AM
UUUU I see some nice lighting possiblities on this one Robert :D The vertical compo seems to catch a lot more of the picture (also gives some possiblities of flying dragons in the background) Hang in there

Damn I've got some catching up to do :D

DaddyMack
09-15-2005, 04:12 AM
Hanging in mate... just... I'm picturing a mountainside to house a series of temples, dragons everywhere, a monk here and there, one detailed temple in the foreground, a monk offering us the reigns of a dragon in the foremost of the shot... Should keep me off hte strrets...

Cyro
09-15-2005, 05:41 AM
I am spending most of my time trying to find the best composition too, but it's worth it. Looking good so far!

Lemog
09-15-2005, 07:10 AM
I like the first one of this 2 pictures... but surely with a camera a little bit more high to give more depht... and a monastery at right, more close, as the one in the second picture, but bigger... Like that, you can obtain 3 distinct plans... the background with your valley... at the middle, your subject. and to finish the third at right and cut by your frame, the monastery in close up.
I'm not really clear, I hope you understand what I trying to explain... I think my english is very bad. :scream:

DaddyMack
09-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Cyro.. I love being in over my head like this... composition is such a weak point for me... Thanks

Lemog.. I understand... What you interpret sounds most similar to what I'm trying to achieve... I'm thinking of placing the viewer almost at the base of some stairs that lead to the close up monastery on the right and place the monk offering us a dragon in the middle, just off the stairs... I'm thinking of extending the 'courtyard' outside the closest monastery to reach across to the left side, as if the mountains are in a horseshoe or 'U' shape to add space for some details, a garden etc... I deeply appreciate you taking the time to help me out here man:bowdown:

I've been chipping away at some stock models for this scene and doing some basic shader tests... I'm trying to find a balance between detail and efficiency... Definitely yet to see anything 'spectacular' yet... It's all looking 'pretty average atm... I'll post some 'humble beginnings soon
Thanks

Gunilla
09-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Ah yes - that scene can really be working fine! The top comp seems the most exiting ... I'm so glad to see you on the roll on this :thumbsup:

ziriguidum
09-15-2005, 02:13 PM
hi Daddy! The cenary staying excellent!!!

(sorry my english! hehe)

suk-grigorij
09-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Hey, mate, nice to see you here!:thumbsup:

DaddyMack
09-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Gunilla.. Thank you kindly... It's becoming clearer in my mind each day

ziriguidum.. Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting serious with it

suk-grigorij.. привет! Comrade Sukhov, how are you my friend? I hope you will compete again, your work is stunning

Looking at this project I realise that I've never made clouds before, and haven't the first clue how to do ... Same goes for the rock structures I'm visualising... I love the deep end... not drowning, waving... :wavey:

soapy
09-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Nice work Daddymack. I sort of liked the overhead sketch that you put up earlier. I am sure you will go through lots of changes along the way. Of course that is one kool thing about 3d, you can change the POV on the fly...

agou
09-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi ! I like your two comps, and I see most people like the first one. At first sight I'm rather attracted by the second one, I can hardly explain why; maybe because of the angle of camera, I had the feeling it gives a panoramic view. In fact, I would prefer the first one, with the point of view of the second one....and I just realize I repeat what Lemog said.:scream:

However, nice concept, you can make a beautiful illu!!!Keep it up!

ace4016
09-16-2005, 05:19 AM
Good luck with the comp! I have always had a hard time getting the comp in my head out and the comp is what makes or breaks a piece (as I've seen with my own entry and the concepts). I have no tips for flushing out the comp, but I do know once you get close, it's easy sailing from there. Just keep at it:thumbsup: .

Muzwan
09-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Hey there DaddyMack,

woah, gotta be quick to get a word in edgewise around here. Diggin it. A cunning change of direction my compadre. It's still got soul. Maybe for some inspiration you could take the train up to the Blue Mountains with a sketchbook in hand. You might find a spectacular perspective there :shrug:. Well good luck, and look on with interest as your piece takes life.

Catcha soon,

Muz.

DaddyMack
09-16-2005, 10:23 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1126862585_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1126862585_large.jpg)

Hi guys, well here it is... The first of many ugly rock tests... I'm kind of taken with the lamps idea, they will add subtle detail around stairs and other less ornate areas... My todolist grows steadily:) thanks...

ihamid
09-16-2005, 10:31 AM
hey yup the lamps look good and they alone gives the mysterious feel ! the design looks good too and hehe wont comment on the ugly rocks since its a test :)

cheers!

Lemog
09-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Yes... the lamp design agree me a lot... just waiting a texture stone we can find in Tibet now, or paint coating... often paint in white, no ? just an idea...

makaron
09-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Finally! some fire in your image... :applause:

DaddyMack
09-16-2005, 01:24 PM
soapy.. Cheers mate, i'm hoping to have the viewer looking down on a main monastery while looking up at the distant ones... The horizon line is giving me trouble atm... nearly there tho;)

agou.. Thank you kindly, I hope to create a real panoramic feeling, an expanse of space and light...

ace4016.. Hey James, good to have you here again mate while I fumble my way through another challenging concept... I'm gonna spend some energy building stock models for the scene while the comp sorts itself in me 'ed

Muzwan.. You Legend! How goes my friend? I went through a few ideas to get this... apparently I fished it from the mind of a good friend in the UK while he slept... It poses many unknown factors atm... as for the mountains, I'd love to but as usual- no time, I'm lucky I can squeeze in enough to throw in the humble offerings I have so far... Aaaah the long and winding road... Catch ya soon;)

DaddyMack.. Eeeyeeewwww...

yunisirees.. Momma says ugly is as ugly does sir..

Lemog.. Funny mate, as I watch your stonework grow, I think hmmm... monochromatic, What if my rocks were all one colour... very nice but I think I'm gonna go with the untouched, bare minimum natural look, Many references have a slate and sandstone so I may go with them...

makaron.. :D

handlebar
09-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Cool start DaddyMac, i like the atmosphere, lights are great mate.http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

soapy
09-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Kool stairs, they remind me of that game Return to Castle Wolfenstein a little bit. Maybe you should have some German soldiers with machine guns patroling. ;-)

DaddyMack
09-16-2005, 09:55 PM
handlebar.. Thanks mate, just shedding a tiny bit of light on the long road ahead... I'll be saying 'nearly there' for the next 3 months... always great to hear from you;)

soapy.. Hah! I can just see the headlines 'secret society found and slaughtered by overzealous gamers...'

It's Saturdaaayyy :bounce::bounce::bounce: Saturday mornings are 'art and craft' time here at Mack Manor... Today is 'paint some canvases to decorate your freshly renovated rooms with' day with my girls:D joyeee :wavey:

eddieellis
09-17-2005, 12:28 PM
hey my friend, youve done loads since that last time i looked at your thread... looking goos though man, although i think the texture ion the walls are alittle weak...

Keep on rockin dude :thumbsup:

ThierryS
09-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Hi DaddyMack,
I like the concept, it's different from what I read sofar in the other threads and has a lot of potential.
First modeling and textures are cool.

Good luck with it.
Will be back again :thumbsup: :)

suk-grigorij
09-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Зорова! Hey I was thinking about that thing you said about clouds. Damn, I just realized that I have the same problem:sad: .
Ha-ha, it's interessting how many things we don't know ho to do in 3d.
Good Luck, mate. Like your concept:thumbsup: .

DaddyMack
09-18-2005, 12:08 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1126998503_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1126998503_large.jpg)

Hi again, finally a semi worthy mesh, the dragon ornaments are placeholders, they will be more detailed soon. This pagoda is a meeting place for the monks... It shows the basic style I'm going for with the piece...

Cheers;)

ihamid
09-18-2005, 12:17 AM
hey cool DaddyMack! nice modeling development! this will look great with the detailed ornaments i for see :)!
cheers man!

beelow
09-18-2005, 12:19 AM
Nice pagoda man, can't wait to see some details, good luck!:thumbsup:

AIR
09-18-2005, 01:43 AM
I see a roof top,feels like middle east,NIPPON kinda ,or better CHINA kinda stuff.
Whatever it is me like that.So bring us some more of that. :buttrock:

Daddy man,Do you have msn or icq,,I'd like to chat a bit with you people.
Want to komunikado with cg challengers bit.
If you are ok with that,if you have time an all.i wont mind if you dont.i'l find other victims:)
Im in Australian mood wright now.I like Australian outdoors,thinking of buying
australian bearded dragon (pogona vitticeps)lizzard,cos of my reptilian urges eversince I was a kid.
I mean,,dinosaurs 'n stuff,pretty obvious. :rolleyes:

DaddyMack
09-18-2005, 12:20 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127042427_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127042427_large.jpg)

Hi guys, here it is again, same place, different day... Did I mention I hate rock yet? It'll get there...

Chhers;)

alex.h.
09-18-2005, 12:27 PM
great start and good luck mate. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

handlebar
09-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Confusious he say 'DaddyMack with computer can make really cool render'. Keep up the great work http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gif

Gunilla
09-18-2005, 05:05 PM
That's a sweet looking pagoda- are you going to hang some brass gongs on it for the monks to hammer on?
This is going really well Daddymack :thumbsup:

DaddyMack
09-18-2005, 10:18 PM
eddieellis.. Thanks man, I agree, I'm donning a big flashing neon L plate (warning learner driver) for my texturing...

thierry2005.. Thanks mate, I always try to be a little different, much appreciated

suk-grigorij.. Hahaah, aint it funny that our brains can be so full but we still need to find ways to cram new learning in there...

DaddyMack.. That's a little less embarassing...

yunisirees.. This piece is gonna be all about the detailing and rendering me thinks... Cheers

beelow.. Thanks, me too!

A I R.. I look forward to losing my msn virginity soon;) Bearded dragons are among the cleverest lizards I've ever met, I used to cherish chasing, catching and releasing them as a kid... Great choice for a pet IMHO... Definitely a cut above the average reptile:thumbsup:

DaddyMack.. What is with that stone texture man:argh: sort it out:rolleyes:

alex.h... Hey man, long time no see... Cheers

handlebar.. Aaaah honorable handlebar have big smile in his voice, spreads sunshine wherever he go, is much appreciated by silly old geek:bowdown:

Gunilla.. Thanks gunilla, gongs are on my miscellaneous decorations list, This pagoda is just one of about 30 different structures I hope to include in this image... what a mission

Thanks again all you amazing folk who take the time to pat me on the back or kick me in the bum on this project, it is always greatly appreciated...:bowdown:

3dRaven
09-18-2005, 10:40 PM
I see the enviroment is slowly coming together. Good on ya mate :thumbsup:. Looking forward to seeing you on msn. Keep up the good work.

DaddyMack
09-19-2005, 01:30 AM
I see the enviroment is slowly coming together. Good on ya mate :thumbsup:. Looking forward to seeing you on msn. Keep up the good work.

Cheers and likewise mate;)

makaron
09-19-2005, 06:48 AM
the basic color on the pagoda is fine. the Monks are gonna be happy there. ... but, but, the rock? :scream: Is it a kind of marble you going for?

DaddyMack
09-19-2005, 08:22 AM
the basic color on the pagoda is fine. the Monks are gonna be happy there. ... but, but, the rock? :scream: Is it a kind of marble you going for?

Daddymack laughs at self then hangs head in shame... It's supposed to be sandstone:cry: Cursed texturing noobness:D It shall be fixified shortly

DaddyMack
09-19-2005, 12:41 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127130072_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127130072_large.jpg)

Pheyew! What a day... Had no 'spare' time for this but managed to sneak in and crush some of my stone issues... At least now it's semi presentable... Looks like this is gonna be a fun ride;)

Cheers!

claudiojordao
09-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Hey DaddyMack, cool update... very good modeled, and the colours are great.

DimitrisLiatsos
09-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Nice texturing on pagoda mate!...updates! :bounce:

JamesMK
09-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Moving along fine here. The red bits strike me as somewhat overly saturated, but that on the other hand is not very difficult to adjust, so pay no attention to what I just said :D

makaron
09-19-2005, 05:00 PM
stone the crows! (an old english expression, for Yoinks)

it starting to look like sandstone... :eek: what next? monks or dragons?

suk-grigorij
09-19-2005, 05:34 PM
suk-grigorij.. Hahaah, aint it funny that our brains can be so full but we still need to find ways to cram new learning in there...

Full? Full of ideas or full of sh..? That is a question! It also depeds on the kind of stuff our brains are floating in. In my case it's mostly vodka.

Very nice updates, mate. Work hard and make us happy. Viva la Australia.

Best of luck.

soapy
09-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Good looking models DaddyMack. The new sandstone texture looks a lot better, they still have that procedural allover look to them, but hell, tough to solve?

DaddyMack
09-19-2005, 08:38 PM
DaddyMack.. Umm.. Shouldn't you be madly modelling instead of living life so much?

claudio_jordao.. Thanks, for the first time I'm actually using a palette

DimitrisLiatsos.. What? no comment on the beautiful monk I've created... Can no one see the real star of the show... Thanks Dimi

JamesMK.. Cheers mate! I'm trying to develop base shaders from which to evolve most shaders for the scene... So duly noted;)

makaron.. Strewth you're a whip cracker... BTW it's dragons :P

suk-grigorij.. Full of S**t of course;) Cheers and it's great to have you back Comrade Sukhov

soapy.. Agreed indeed soapy.. Thanks for looking out:thumbsup:

You guys just started my day with a huge boost:bowdown: Thank you... I'll try and squeeze in some new meshes today...:wavey:

DaddyMack
09-20-2005, 04:23 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127186625_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127186625_large.jpg)

Hi guys, I kinda got lost in the bamboo for a while... I made some structural booie too... and just testing some stock model ideas... I got (literally)a lot of ground to cover Please ignore the 'orrible shaders

I think I'm gonna set up a near final light rig ala Lemog to get some consistency going in my images picture... Maybe then I can develop some right proper materials...

Cheers;)

ihamid
09-20-2005, 06:31 AM
cool progress !

I think I'm gonna set up a near final light rig ala Lemog to get some consistency going in my images picture... Maybe then I can develop some right proper materials...

i agree there mate could even put a similar background to get the feel!

cheers!

sonicstrawbery
09-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Hey Robert, great work and progress here ! I like this little place actually :)

Agreed about your remark about metal shader, it looks a bit plastic but i'm sure it will be better in the future with more work !

Keept it up, i'm looking forward :thumbsup:

Lemog
09-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Well... that's come really better, and we start to really feel the mood you want to give to your scene... nice... I'm just waiting the continuation... seeya Daddy :beer:

handlebar
09-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Ah Grasshopper, when you here the sound of one hand clapping you will truely be on the road to enlightenment, either that or completely nuts. Great addition to your quest DaddyMac, i'm realy enjoying your progress http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gif

suk-grigorij
09-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Nice update, mate. I like your plant, very realistic one.

KangarooMan
09-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Hey Robert, another excellent entry I see! :buttrock:And you've really been busy, great job on modeling and texturing the pagoda, can't wait to see more! :D

Matt

DaddyMack
09-20-2005, 09:24 PM
DaddyMack.. Good boy... but you're still just fluffing around... get serious!

yunisirees.. It's been bumped up my list... I plan to work in a set format- title background etc so I get some clean portfolio shots

cipher.. Hey man, nice to have you back!.. It's great to have guys like you around while I'm fumbling my way through another difficult concept

Lemog.. Thanks and I agree, it's a step closer to my goal... I'm yet to pull a rabbit outta my hat tho... BTW LYW!!

handlebar.. Aaahhh wise man say- One who leaves cg challenge with sanity in tact not try hard enough...

suk-grigorij.. Thanks mate, it was a good little detour

mmbenya.. Thanks for the boost Matt, and it's great to see you back here too

Thanks again all you nutters! It's cool to start my day with getting your impressions and visiting your threads.. Much appreciated :bowdown::wavey:

Atwooki
09-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Hey Daddy; know what? that's looking, er... Spectacular!!!
A very worthy update, mate, and nicely modelled too - I'm in now, and on your tail; hehe ;)
Keep it chugging.... :D

Chris

DaddyMack
09-21-2005, 03:21 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127269276_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127269276_large.jpg)

Hi guys, just a little start on some layout play... The flare near the especially fine character will be a large fire in an urn... The upper grab is kinda what my scene is probably gonna end up looking like... Fun fun fun

Cheers;)

Lemog
09-21-2005, 06:50 AM
Thanks for this concept sketch... we understand very well the topology of your scene... for sure, Spectacular... :thumbsup:

ihamid
09-21-2005, 07:32 AM
hello DaddyMack
thats a vast scene how are u going to render this :eek:! yess things are falling into place now i see! love the specialy fine character :rolleyes:!
cheers man!

Gunilla
09-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Oh Yay! It's all coming together now... we can alreday smell that special Yoinks! :)

The lower cocept seem to have a better angle to me - we can see the landscape opening up in front of the monk - this is going to be just great :love:

Lemog
09-21-2005, 11:28 AM
The lower cocept seem to have a better angle to me - we can see the landscape opening up in front of the monk - this is going to be just great :love:
Mmmh... I think that the first pic is only the explanation about positionning of each elements in the scene or... I do a mistake ? :blush:

Gunilla
09-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Mmmh... I think that the first pic is only the explanation about positionning of each elements in the scene or... I do a mistake ? :blush:

Ohh! Yes, of course - you're right, my misreading. Forget about that comment DaddyMack! :blush:

AIR
09-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Hey man,,You are buliding this or some of theese mountains will turn as a good old matt painting.
Whatever you do it is a big chunk.Keep the edge sharp at any time.
Seeya arround fellow daddy. :thumbsup:

DaddyMack
09-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Atwooki.. That's great to hear mate! Love the concept too... I looked at the brushheads, I'm going with the pointyhats

DaddyMack.. Hah! good luck with that!

Lemog.. lol Thanks Lemog... What a great boost!

yunisirees.. Thanks mate.. Dunno about the render yet... maybe some layers... My little guy was wondrering if he's not special... much appreciated;)

Gunilla.. It's OK I hardly read anything either.. too many great pics

A I R.. Cheers Damir, all elements, even the sun, will be modelled;)

Thanks again you guys for my morning boost :D I often envy the vast creativity from the minds I see here and it's really great to get such feedback from you guys:bowdown: Humble thanks

KangarooMan
09-21-2005, 09:21 PM
Hey Robert, cool layout! I just gotta ask you, are you insane? :eek: This is one huge scene, I'm definitely looking forward to watching this progress! Keep the updates coming! :thumbsup:

Matt

DaddyMack
09-22-2005, 02:25 AM
Hey Robert, cool layout! I just gotta ask you, are you insane? :eek: This is one huge scene, I'm definitely looking forward to watching this progress! Keep the updates coming! :thumbsup:

Matt

ROFL Matt... Thanks man... I'll try my wee little heart out you know...

DaddyMack
09-22-2005, 06:19 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127366387_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127366387_large.jpg)

Well here's the humble beginnings of my base dragon mesh... The dragon from which all other dragons will be born... I hope to give the Zbrush demo a whirl with this when I get the whole body roughed out...
Something is bothering me about this head so far but I can't quite figure what... Any suggestions?

makaron
09-22-2005, 06:46 AM
maybe the dragon need some ears and nostrils? maybe you can slim down the underjaw a little bit. :) guess that the teeth, tongue and eyes is coming later on...

MacAndre
09-22-2005, 06:52 AM
nice progress. hope you can finish this hugh projekt. ;)

Lemog
09-22-2005, 07:09 AM
Nice design for this dragon... well start... as Makaron... I'm waiting some nostrills and ears, good continuation Daddy :thumbsup:

KangarooMan
09-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Hey Robert, great start already! I agree with the suggestions made. Great job man! :bounce:

Matt

handlebar
09-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Nice start to the dragon DaddyMack, are you going to give them different properties, like fire, water, wind and motherinlaw dragon? The model would look better with some ears. Do a google search for Dragon tattoos, you might find some cool reference.

DaddyMack
09-22-2005, 12:03 PM
DaddyMack.. Interesting direction but I think there's way too much geometry in some places on that mesh mate:shrug:

makaron.. There goes that whip again:eek: Flee!.. Will do Mak, thanks

mac_andre.. Thanks man... I'll finish it;) it's times like these that it's handy to be as obsessive as I am...

Lemog.. Cheers mate! I put him at around 10% complete atm... I'm gonna try make him my best mesh to date;)

mmbenya.. Thanks Matt... I'm on it...

handlebar.. handlebar.. handlebar.. You never cease to amaze me mate:thumbsup::bowdown:... Unfortunately, due to the nda, I'm no longer allowed to make mother in law dragons or jokes... You wouldn't believe me if I told ya;) They will all be fire dragons to go with my first ever colour palette:scream: Aaahh noobness... Love it!

Thanks guys, I'm probably a little over ambitious with what I want too achieve with these dragons, I'm not sure if I have the skills to achieve what I see yet... I deeply appreciate having you folk to hold my hand a little while I dive a little deeper than I have yet:bowdown: thanks :wavey:

claudiojordao
09-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Hello DaddyMack, your dragon is looking so good... it reminds me an animated serie that I loved to see when I was 5 or 6 years old. Very good job mate.

DaddyMack
09-22-2005, 03:47 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127400445_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127400445_large.jpg)

Hi guys... Had to catch up on some work tonight.. so only a few minor (but well aimed me hopes) tweeks could be skweeezed out of my tired old head before I go to the other side myself...

I think he's found the first inkling of a persona... Hope you like

DaddyMack
09-22-2005, 03:48 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127400519_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127400519_large.jpg)

Hi guys... Had to catch up on some work tonight.. so only a few minor (but well aimed me hopes) tweeks could be skweeezed out of my tired old head before I go to the other side myself...

I think he's found the first inkling of a persona... Hope you like

Gunilla
09-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Well - those last tweaks really made miracles with him - he's got personality all right.
Now, go get some welldeserved sleep :wavey:

Lemog
09-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Whaouw Robert :thumbsup: it's simply marvellous... with some magic real good attitude... as Gunilla said... He have much personality yet...

...I can't wait Step #3 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

handlebar
09-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Nice tweekin' DaddyMac, it's made all the difference.

KangarooMan
09-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Hey Robert, the dragon had life before that just pushed it that much higher. The changes you made since the last update look great! :thumbsup: The additions will give a lot of possibility for the facial morphs. :D

Matt

suk-grigorij
09-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Great work on the dragon's head:thumbsup: . Very convinsible expression.

soapy
09-22-2005, 06:19 PM
On the plateau we've reached, surrounded by huge statues of deities, there is a massive and ornate monastery which houses an obscure order of monks who- (undecided branches) / breed and train some sort of mythological flying creature and or \ Practice the art of astral travel... How far out are you going to go?
The dragon looks kool, great modeling, will he have any alien friends? :-)

DaddyMack
09-22-2005, 09:00 PM
claudio_jordao.. Thank you so much Claudio, I love hearing about how people connect with the mess I make:)

DaddyMack.. Hah! I see you've finally figured out how to double post... Goose!... at least it was a half decent post to mess up with;)

Gunilla.. Thank you kindly my friend, I tried my little heart out... Really enjoyed my ration of 4 hours sleep and I'm back attit again;)

Lemog.. Cheers Laurent, I get the feeling that there will be many, many steps for this character... The 'dragon returns' etc, after I get the fundamentals down I'll probably have to move on to the many other aspects of this shot that also need to magically appear... Then the dragon will really start to emerge... Thanks for your guidance:thumbsup:

handlebar.. I can see clearly now the rain is gone... Amazing the difference a sphere and a black dot can make...

mmbenya.. Agreed Matt, I hope to make this one my most appealing and impressive character to date... i plan to do a fairly heavy rig... so thanks for a well aimed comment mate:thumbsup:

suk-grigorij.. He's honestly starting to remind me of my flat friend (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/masterandservant/image.php?entry_id=33996)

soapy.. You're a trip soapy, I was just thinking last night of ways to add to the spectacularity of the image and my first idea was that the dragons are aliens who landed on the mountain thousands of years ago... The main temple was built around, and integrates with their ship... The dragons are a sort of overseers of modern society and offer the monks wisdom that they send down the mountain to their people... That's where the Dalai Llama gets his teachings... but then I thought let's just model the dragon for now... You're a trip:applause:

Once again my imaginary friends, you've made this silly old dad smile with enthusiasm at diving into the next steps of this project...:bowdown: Thanks... Back soon:wavey:

shakes
09-22-2005, 09:37 PM
this looks great so far DaddyMack- I like the concept. the temple and wall look really good, and I love the dragon.I'll keep my eye on this one!

DaddyMack
09-22-2005, 10:24 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127424264_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127424264_large.jpg)

Hi guys, here's the quick bash I had at him this morn... I think I may have gone too far... What do you guys think? Any opinions?

Step 2 on left step 3 on right... Sorry about the shader.. had to rush it and I'm not really awake yet;)

I've got a quick little .mov of the morph ...here... (http://www.brainchilddigital.com/spec/dragon.mov) (2mb) between step 2 and 3 for anyone interested...

ace4016
09-23-2005, 06:22 AM
Looking good. Are you going for a more friendly dragon or more serious/scary? If serious/scary, I would make the eye socket smaller, and the eye ball a seperate mesh (with reptilian eyes). Hope to see the rest of the body soon.

fgdf
09-23-2005, 08:15 AM
I love this dragon you're going in right direction .It reminds me of those chinese paper dragons (and ofc the neverending story one!!). keep up your good work
-cheers

DaddyMack
09-23-2005, 02:21 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127481691_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127481691_large.jpg)

Sorry for that last lame effort guys... not enough zzz's

Hopefully this is a little more to your liking... Hope to start on his headgear and bod soon;) More power to you other late night rockers out there!!!

Cheers

DimitrisLiatsos
09-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Who's your Daddy?....It's Daddymack..:thumbsup:

This is becoming better and better...thanks for the wireframe on Chinese Dragon head (..right click saves)..hihi! :bounce:

makaron
09-23-2005, 05:52 PM
what a cutie... he is really talking shape... :bounce: you gonna give him small or big wings?
and I can tell he is not so old this dragon, he is not bold and itīs more than 4 hairs on the head...
me /run and hide. *giggling*

suk-grigorij
09-23-2005, 06:07 PM
suk-grigorij.. He's honestly starting to remind me of my flat friend (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/masterandservant/image.php?entry_id=33996)

NOOO! DON'T YOU DO THAT ROBERT! DON'T DARE. I SWARE GOD, I STILL SEE THAT DAMN FLAT CAT OF YOURS. JEEEZ, I'LL NEVER FORGET THAT BEAST.

SO, MR. MACK PLEASE, SPARE MY POOR BRAINS, DON'T FLATTEN YOUR PRETTY DRAGON.

(just kidding, friend, just kidding)

Nice updates. I like'em.

CryingHorn
09-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Hey mate,

nice dragon, very clean modeling, a bit more of details and you could scream: Look mom no zbrush! :scream:

good luck I'll be waiting for a tail... oh I mean body... All body with a tail.. and the legs of course... that's right... I am not confused... :argh:

soapy
09-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Oh yeah, nice work that dragon head is looking sweet!

claudiojordao
09-23-2005, 09:04 PM
Hey DaddyMack, I love those details, great job.

DaddyMack
09-23-2005, 10:06 PM
shakes.. Hey thanks man! I'm glad you can get the idea through the mess I'm makin 'ere...

DaddyMack.. You goose..

ace4016.. Cheers for the pointers James, very handy... I'm going for 'mystic realism' in detail and the main dragon should be welcoming but somewhat intimidating in his stance and expression... later for that...

the_fgdf.. Thanks mate... Now that you've said it he does remind me of Falco from Neverending Story.. Glad you're liking;)

DaddyMack.. I take that back... But ... I laugh at the thought of you unwrapping that mesh for texturing... Enjoy...

DimitrisLiatsos.. :blush: Cheers!

makaron.. Sorry... no wings... He's solar powered... Yeah you better run girl! Picking on those less fortunate than you... I'm just having a bad hair life 'k rapunzel... *mumbles* stupid hair... who'd want hair anyways:D

suk-grigorij.. Sorry mate:D had to be done once...

Crying Horn.. Thanks muchly... I was thinking before that it almost looks like a zbrush piece... Can't wait to see what happens after I run him through zbrush later in the project..

soapy.. Cheers bud!

Claudio_Jordao.. Hey thanks, he's only just started really behaving for me;)

Once again I start the day with a big smile... Thanks you guys:bowdown: I'm now into school holiday territory so my time for everything will be a little displaced and sketchy for the next 2 weeks while I play my days away:bounce:... I might just have to stop this sleeping habit I've picked up again...

ace4016
09-24-2005, 03:08 AM
Wow, update looks impressive. Who needs Zbrush:D ? Really looking foward to the body. Yea, unwrapping that looks like a toughy, but you can do it:thumbsup: .

Hooch
09-24-2005, 03:13 AM
That dragon sure looks promising man!
keepup the good work mate! :wip: ;)

shakes
09-24-2005, 06:30 AM
nice new detailing!

hhssuu
09-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Hi DaddyMack, you got some cool character going on there, and nice modelling dude :thumbsup:

ThierryS
09-24-2005, 09:32 AM
Nice modeling man, I like it a lot, makes me think I gotta start my monster too sometime.
Keep it up, it's coming along nicely:thumbsup:

Gunilla
09-24-2005, 05:55 PM
Oh Daddy - I bow before thee ... this is really a beautiful dragon :love:

So, tell me - do you plan to Unwrap it? If so, how? (That is my learning lesson for today)

EDIT: after reading more carefully I see that you have such plans - so, how did it go?

DaddyMack
09-24-2005, 08:38 PM
ace4016.. Thanks James, I like it when my characters start behaving... Hopefully I can create a complimentary bod for him;)

Hooch.. Cheers mate, I'll keep striving..

shakes.. Thank you kindly good sir..

hhssuu.. They thanks mate

thierry2005.. Yeah I've been looking forward to seeing how you approach your monster mate... Good luck!

Gunilla.. :blush: I bow back in humble admiration... Unwrapping.. one of the few things that I still don't look forward to... I plan to try Zbrush soon and hope to avoid it, otherwise I'll probably extract the mesh into sections (inner mouth- lips- whiskers- face) and deal with them each individually...

As always, you guys have warmed my little heart in my waking moments:buttrock: Much appreciated... With that fresh in my mind, I'm gonna go now and try and pull a body out of my head...:wavey: Thanks

DaddyMack
09-24-2005, 11:03 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127599389_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127599389_large.jpg)

Hi guys... just spent most of my time playing with proportions... I think this is close to right for what I'm after...

I can't wait to rig these babies;)

monsitj
09-25-2005, 10:49 AM
nice chinese dragon! your model has many detail! good job!

DaddyMack
09-25-2005, 12:56 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127649386_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127649386_large.jpg)

Hi guys, just some blocking and sketching of the saddle and headpiece for the dragons as well as a close to final underbelly... I'm looking forward to really ripping into his bod but have little time atm...

Thanks;)

Kanga
09-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Kewl Dragon man!
Geddit on Daddy:thumbsup:

Lookiing forward to whuts a cookin.
Best luck and cheers!

keetmun
09-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Wow I can just imagine that model all smoothed out and textured, will look really good!

Cheers
:buttrock:

Atwooki
09-25-2005, 06:42 PM
OK Rob -
Your progressing very fast and efficiently; this dragon's looking very slick, my friend....
Be trundling over to your thread pretty frequently now, watching closely to see wassup :thumbsup:

best of luck!

C.

frenzymedia
09-25-2005, 07:43 PM
The dragon is looking great...keep it up!
cheers::bc

DaddyMack
09-25-2005, 09:01 PM
monsitj.. Hey thanks man, much appreciated;)

DaddyMack.. Excuses.. excuses.. excuses...

Kanga.. Hey there mate, great to hear from you... As you can see I'm in over my head again;) Thanks for the kind words...

keetmun.. Thanks, I hope so...

Atwooki.. I'm trying my little heart out again mate;) Good to see you're in for the long haul too:thumbsup:

frenzymedia.. Cheers , he'sgetting there

Thanks for all the input guys... As always much appreciated:bowdown: :wavey:

Lemog
09-26-2005, 07:14 AM
Wahouw... that's comes very good mate... all theses new details are incredible and beautiful... very nice Daddy :thumbsup:

shakes
09-26-2005, 07:26 AM
loving all the detail- this is going to be an awesome dragon- will it be fleshy or bronze like?

makaron
09-26-2005, 08:15 AM
I wonder... is the dragon gonna breathe fire? does solarpowered chineselike dragons do that? :hmm:

ihamid
09-26-2005, 08:19 AM
ahh yess the dragon wakes up!:eek: very cool and great modeling at that!
cheers!

DaddyMack
09-26-2005, 10:48 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127728117_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127728117_large.jpg)

Hi guys, just the steps I took to create the new saddle, hope you like... saddle to follow soon;)

Cheers!

DaddyMack
09-26-2005, 12:42 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127734936_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127734936_large.jpg)

Hi guys, here's the shot's of the saddle. fitted... still yet to be decorated...

Cheers;)

makaron
09-26-2005, 01:44 PM
thatīs a seat worthy a spectacular monk... :bounce:

Lemog
09-26-2005, 02:06 PM
fsssssssssssss.... Nice and marvellous rendering for sweet parts of the dragon... BRAVO :applause:

Gunilla
09-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Very nice renders for the new saddle! So... you're going with Zbrush too, eh ? Isn't that... sort of cheating..? :D
Just kidding of course, mostly envious of all that have the tool and skills to use it.
Oh - and the dragon is going to be red, right? That would be nice indeed, keep it up mate :buttrock:

DaddyMack
09-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Argh! browser crash and I lost all my blab...

I need to keep it short this time...

Lemog.. :D is how you make me feel, thanks!

shakes.. If I can pull it off they will have fleshy scales..

makaron.. Hopefully.. time allowing..

yunisirees.. Also:D Cheers!

DaddyMack.. Umm... shouldn't you be hanging out with your girls?..

makaron.. or monkey?

Lemog.. As above my friend;)

Gunilla.. 'hope' to use zbrush... hope to cheat.. haven't a clue yet.. red they will be yes, with orange and gold hilites

As always seeing your comments has made my morning very smiley and joyous:bowwdown: Thanks:wavey:

makaron
09-26-2005, 09:09 PM
a monkey in the saddle, thats a spectacular idea :bounce:

DaddyMack
09-27-2005, 12:19 AM
a monkey in the saddle, thats a spectacular idea :bounce:

Could be a great way around modelling my first photoreally humans too;) Instead of monks the place could be populated with super monkeys:curious:...

ace4016
09-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Great dragon and saddle:thumbsup: . Will you add the scale/feather thing to the end off the tail? Can't wait to see a rigged version of the Dragon:bounce: .

makaron
09-27-2005, 05:50 AM
Could be a great way around modelling my first photoreally humans too;) Instead of monks the place could be populated with super monkeys:curious:...

yeah, and the boss over the super monkeys can be Big Foot him self, :applause:isnīt he living in the kind of place?

handlebar
09-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Cooler than a refrigeration unit at the south pole with a penguin on top.http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gif Great progress DaddyMac.

ChrisD01
09-27-2005, 01:22 PM
I am really very curious to see composition final of your image, in any cases the dragon is very nice

DaddyMack
09-27-2005, 11:03 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127858578_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127858578_large.jpg)

Hmmm, here's a little test of the first concept for the scales on these fellas... Tragic IMO...

It's back to the old drawing board for this step me thinks...

Any pointers?

hhssuu
09-27-2005, 11:46 PM
The dragon is coming along nice man, interesting technique, and cool design, keep it up... make me wanna get going with mine~

DaddyMack
09-28-2005, 02:00 AM
ace4016.. Hey James, cheers! Yep details will go all the way to the tail feathers

makaron.. :blush: Who told you about my feet:curious:

handlebar.. :D:D:D

ChrisD01.. Hmm yeah me too mate! Cheers;)

DaddyMack.. Umm.. you should know better by now... no shortcuts... Try diagonal scales instead of in rows... I think all the horns should have a rim at the skin join as well and the underbelly should be a little tighter...

hhssuu.. Hey thanks mate, I'm waiting to see how far you push your concept, your M+S was killer:thumbsup:

Thanks Guys... I went to an information night for a Masters in Animation course last night and I was a little overstimulated by the prospect:bounce: ... So sorry for the poor update... Avengance coming soon me hopes:wavey:

shakes
09-28-2005, 02:21 AM
all those new details look good Mackster! as for the scales, if I were doing it,not sure what your programme uses but in Cinema 4d I'd make one scale, then make an array of it to form one loop of scales around the neck, then copy/paste it to make the next row, adjust the size, and so on. should be pretty easy.
shakes

DaddyMack
09-28-2005, 07:29 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127888965_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127888965_large.jpg)

Ok guys here's the theory, triangulate the mesh, delete all my lovely loops, left with a diamond mesh, extrude and tweak away until sunrise... I think I'm on the right track now... Above is just a test of said theory, I'll start the concept from scratch tonight...

I'm using this principle to maintain the naturally mathematical order in detailing these dragon characters;)

Cheers!

DaddyMack
09-28-2005, 07:37 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127889451_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127889451_large.jpg)

This is just the render of the above test... It will need much work in tweek time to get the right look I'm after but it's a step in the right direction...

It looks like I'm making a good rigging nightmare for myself too :)

Cheers!

eddieellis
09-28-2005, 07:50 AM
hey Daddy M, i like it allot, ive always wanted to model a dragon but never got around to it.

loving the design, but it looks alittle low poly at the moment, especially the horns.. maybe alittle smoother and you set

Lemog
09-28-2005, 08:12 AM
and you obtain a marvellous result :thumbsup:

:)

DaddyMack
09-28-2005, 12:14 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127906045_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127906045_large.jpg)

Hi guys...Some disatrous results of my testing:) the lowest image of course is closest to where I'm going... I can't get those bottom rows to behave though, they are intent on going their own way and I can't figure why... Any takers?... I'm gonna try rebuilding them and see if that helps...

Cheers!

Gunilla
09-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Tests looks good, Mack! But I was thinking - have you tried it with a displacemap instead? That should be much easier - if it works. Just a thought.

This scene is coming on tremendously well :thumbsup:

Lemog
09-28-2005, 01:29 PM
The result is pleasant, but I can't imagine polycount :scream:

JamesMK
09-28-2005, 01:44 PM
I think you have managed to capture the essence of the typical chinese dragon really well here... should be down to the shaders and light for the final touch now. And that's one sick mesh! :D

DaddyMack
09-28-2005, 03:15 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127916897_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1127916897_large.jpg)

I think I need a break from this for a coupla days guys, my brain's full... The look of the scales is there now and I'm happy with the general R+D I did to get there...BUT... The bottom four rows refuse to 'go with the flow, so I'm losing that beautiful mathematically natured look I'm after... I played with the normals, even rebuilt that section... Anyone out there got any idea why this would happen? Anyways, I'll hang around and check out some threads I've been meaning to look into over the next coupla days while my processor cools from the strain... and I drain my brain;)

Cheers!

sonicstrawbery
09-28-2005, 04:08 PM
wow i missed so many works on cgtalk, it's a really cool work evolving in this thread, this dragon is an impressive beast, great work on the skin and head !

Can't wait to see more and more of your concept Robert :thumbsup:

suk-grigorij
09-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Hey, DaddyMack, don't you think that your dragod is a bit overdetailed?

AIR
09-28-2005, 05:34 PM
this is awsome stuff daddy man.The details on the dragon,just great.im just curious what is he going to look like in the end with coloring and stuff.

Keep it sharp pal.seeya arround.:thumbsup:

shakes
09-28-2005, 09:53 PM
you nailed the scales really well- i must remember that triangulate trick.this is going to be an awesome looking dragon!

DaddyMack
09-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Shakes... Hey thanks for the tip mate;) I'm a maya nutter, and if I can't get the look I'm after with the all over technique I'm using I'll need to give your idea a shot...Cheers:beer:

DaddyMack.. There goes your obsession with topology down the gurgler...

eddieellis.. Hey thanks Eddie, I'm going to put a final smooth on it after I finalise the details;)

Lemog.. :blush: It's getting there... Thanks for your encouragement!

DaddyMack.. That's starting to look better

Gunilla.. That will be my last resort, I'm after a real 3d look if I can get away with it... like in the bottom of the image with all the side shots

Lemog.. Thanks mate! I've turned off my HUD, I don't wanna know about the polycount... I'm keeping lower poly versions for the more distant dragons as well;)

JamesMK.. Shucks, thanks James, shading will indeed be interesting... *laughs at self for getting in well over my head once more*...

DaddyMack.. Almost... but not quite...

cipher.. Hey thanks mate;) He's putting up a bit of a fight atm little bugger!

suk-grigorij.. Hah! lol... You think so... I'm only just getting started my friend... ;) :P

A I R.. Thanks mate;) I'll try my little heart out you know...

Shakes.. Hey thanks a bundle mate, I'm still struggling with them tho... BTW Love the pink bunny...

Well guys, I dare say it's high time I leave this alone for a coupla days and play elsewhere... I'll hopefully return fresh for the fight;) Thanks for all your support! :wavey:

makaron
09-29-2005, 08:36 AM
first give the dragon a razor to shave his legs, smooth out most of his scale their, send him out on a workout, tell him to build and tune his legs up a bit, with muscles.. while you rest... :bounce:
CYA

suk-grigorij
09-29-2005, 07:19 PM
suk-grigorij.. Hah! lol... You think so... I'm only just getting started my friend... ;) :P Wow, you are scaring me friend.

DaddyMack
09-29-2005, 09:39 PM
makaron.. That would need to be soome razor...:argh:

suk-grigorij.. Hahaah.. lol.. flee! A very detailed dragon is approaching

I probably wont touch this for a coupla days guys;) I can feel my sanity returning already:curious::rolleyes::shrug::D:wavey:

mmoir
09-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Hey Robert,

Just read through some of your thread, like your idea about monks training dragons:thumbsup: Your dragon is looking great , nice character design . Keep up the good work.

soapy
09-29-2005, 11:56 PM
The dragon is looking good, but he is kinda bumpy, can you make him smoother?

J/K, the dragon is absolutely steller.

DaddyMack
09-30-2005, 06:08 AM
mmoir.. Humble thanks mate... Oh yeah... I've got a concept too... I got so immersed in the dragon I lost sight of the rest of the proj briefly... Cheers mmoir;)

The dragon is looking good, but he is kinda bumpy, can you make him smoother?

J/K, the dragon is absolutely steller.

R RRIGHT! NNNNOo ssoup for you!!!

lol

AndyH
09-30-2005, 07:00 AM
Lookin real nice! The detail on the dragon is astonishing - at first i though you were using a displacement map, but no, its pure, hard polygons. Sir, i salute your patience!
Its pretty hard to crit the dragon because you never see them straight - i think this will really shine once hes twisted and turning around.

Keep it up, and dont beat yourself up over those bottom rows - i didnt notice anything wrong with those renders.

shakes
09-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Keep it up, and dont beat yourself up over those bottom rows - i didnt notice anything wrong with those renders.

I agree, and there's always post in photoshop !! heh

Hooch
09-30-2005, 10:24 AM
way to go daddy!

keep it coming mate!

alexfalchi
09-30-2005, 12:08 PM
Goooood work Robert!! I like a lot the dragon!!:thumbsup:

Alex.

DimitrisLiatsos
09-30-2005, 01:33 PM
I like this Dragon very much....update u NUT! :bounce:

ThierryS
09-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Just polys sofar? wouch! superb work. Congrats man :thumbsup:

ihamid
09-30-2005, 05:32 PM
hei DaddyMack
thats really cool stuff!.. talk about insane detailing :eek:...!
cheers! and get back to the fight soon!

DaddyMack
09-30-2005, 09:53 PM
:cry: *sniff* You guys are the best!!! Thanks for such greeat comments and support... I'm feeling fresher by the day but today I've got to run the kids birthday party gauntlet with my girls so I'll prob be pretty useless afterwards... I'm gonna have to hang out with the 'mothers club' lol... I've got some new cake recipes to exchange with them too:D (no.. really... I do)

Andy H.. Your kind words brought a large and cheery smile to my face mate.. Cheers:beer:... I can't leave the bottom rows because I'll know they're there forever:curious: I'll see them every time I pass the image... I have a plan tho...

shakes.. lol.. Famous last words to me mate 'fix it in post...' Should be sorted soon

Hooch.. :D... Will do!

alexfalchi.. Also:D.. Great to hear from you mate!

DimitrisLiatsos.. Hah! Thanks and soon... Dimi... your scene is kicking my ass every time I visit:beer: Thanks for the extra motivation to take this further

thierry2005.. Yeah.. I never thought how unorthodox it really was 'til you guys started pointing at it... Thanks!

yunisirees.. Thanks Yuni, I'm working on a final strategy to ensure I defeat this guy in my next attack...

Well guys, I'm off to go play tween girl games for the day:argh:

Back soon, hopefully with something a little more befitting of a beast of this stature...:wavey:

BobbEr
09-30-2005, 10:13 PM
Great modeling!!! Good luck :thumbsup:!

angel
10-01-2005, 04:18 AM
lots of detail work in that dragon! for some reason it reminded me of "The Never Ending Story" keep going!

ace4016
10-01-2005, 04:59 AM
Nice R&D on the scales. A little critique form me would be that with the distance away from the skin that the tip of the scales are, the bigger, fewer scales looked better, but with the small and larger number of them, I think it would look better if the tips of the scales were way closer to the skin mayeb to the point of scale on top of scale (like a fish or snake). You could even combine the two for certain areas (i think the back would have the scales bigger with tips far away while the legs would have more of a mix, and the sides with the smaller scales). I guess what may help is lookig at real reptiles and looking at the purpose for thier scales and why their scales do such and such so that it can help you when deciding on the scale type and pattern for each area (this mainly goes for teh legs and joints). Might also help in keeping the head matched with the body. Just small suggestions.

fgdf
10-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Keep adding more details dude It's getting fantastic!! best dragon in the area so far Great
- cheers

eddieellis
10-01-2005, 04:23 PM
nice one mate.... the scales really set it off :thumbsup:

DaddyMack
10-01-2005, 09:04 PM
BobbEr.. Cheers Mr Megamecha

SNoWs.. thanks Angel, I get the Falco vibe as well, probably his smile...

ace4016.. Wow James, thanks for taking the time to give me just the right kind of booting;) I'm gonna take a way more 'manual' approach to this guy soon, I plan to break him down into segments and work on each chunk individually, then whack him all back together again... Plan D!... Thanks man, Your critique and advice helps me immensely, and I'll try to do it justice in the short time I've left budgeted for the dragon...Cheers:beer: for making me think a little further outside my box...

the_fgdf.. :blush: thanks man...

eddieellis.. Cheers Eddie, almost there...

Well, I've almost had enough of slacking off but it's gonna be 28 degrees here today:cool: our first warm day this spring... So... 'almost' means beach bash with my kids... I'll try maybe beating this fella into shape a little this evening:wavey:

makaron
10-04-2005, 11:47 AM
are you still on the beach? :wavey: I wanna see some more dragonscales or maybe a monk soon...

BlackDidThis
10-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Hello Robert;

Firstly I have to state that this is one of the best models I have seen you present yet through all that you have shared for me to see.
Great job!

Now since I read your post I am looking at the bottom of it as best as I can... but I am not too sure if I got what you are talking of being so wrong.

I think though in general your aprouch to break it into segments would be a good idea. Thus to be able to be more what free on the scales per portion. Sort of like how you would have to deal with asighing fur and simiallar.

Now for what I think seems to look odd and might be things you may want to work on are parts like the elbows of the beast and the uniformness of the same texture... I am more than sure that you have done your research if not already bought a dragon of this sort to examine... but through your ref's you shall notice that the oriental dragon was textured in influence of armour.. and towards the belly the thick coat of spiked scales blend into dropping rows of crescents and semi circles. Sort of how the links of a chain mail would overlap...
You may want to keep that in mind.

I don't know which version of MaYA you are using. But if you have updated to the latest (I am hopefully next week! :bounce: ) version of it then you have the option of painting blend shapes.. what this would help you do is to duplicate your dragon, then to average vertices on it a couple of times.. if not for you to manually play around with it's parts.
And THEN you can go on off and asighn this non spikey dragon as a blendshape to the first and paint the more averaged/modified vertices effect onto only the original more towards the belly of it and flood it with smooth... this would give you a smoother passage from the hard and sharp to the flat and smooth maybe (IF thats what your troublilng is about)

Shall you not be using the latest version of MaYA there are free Mel scripts out there for in-between's in blend shapes... Maybe not as advanced as what was used for Gollum. Email me on the matter if you ned help on this.. might be able to modify one for you.

I would also again encourage you to examine refferences over the elbow and the arms... there are a variaty of carvings and drawings done in the manner.. but try to eliminate them to the ones that display spectacular observation and detail... you will notice that in some of these the spiked scales stop on the legs where the sun stops hitting it.
And that infact in a great amount of them the arms have aditional growths or spikes. IT might be a good idea to do the playing around thing offered above about painting blendshapes.. and then just extruding weirder shapes at the elbows and so on.

It is TOO obvious that this particular model is going to be fantastic.. and I am so hoping for you to spare more time this time in laying out it's UV's and deservingly decorating it.

On your way to Spectacular Robert :thumbsup:!

Black

velascodearmas
10-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Wow, thatīs a crazy technique for the scales! :) This will be quite a pain inthe butt to rig, for sure... If I may make a suggestion (not sure if itīs too late, but alas), one way to make the scales that might be a lot simpler, and allow for you to tune your topology and add muscles& all that (as well as rig him easier) is to use Zbrush. If you can get a pattern that will work well for your scales (probably a faded diamond shape) all over him, you can use that as a mask, and then move out those points just the amount that you want with the move brush. So youīd get smaller, more discrete scales in the legs, etc. Also, you could first pose your creature, and then decide in the end if you want to keep the diplacement map in the render, or else export the obj into zbrush again to bake out that deformation. Thatīs how Iīd do it, at least ;).

melkao
10-04-2005, 05:24 PM
hey amazin texture and very cool model.:thumbsup:

soapy
10-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Hey maybe that dragon is a Rhodesian Ridgeback dragon and that is why the scales on his belly go the other way?

DaddyMack
10-05-2005, 09:41 PM
makaron.. Yep! Beach, school holiday fun, and working on my submission for the masters degree;) Shall return with avengance soon tho...

BlackDidThis.. WooHoo!!! Hey there BlackGoodSir:wavey: I hope all is spectacular in your world... I've had to take a break from these scales to tend to good ol' real life but your idea about blendshaping to smoothed will help me immensely come texturing:beer: Thanks... My last post was just a little test of the current stage of R+D... I had become hurried with it as I could see my life about to creep in and take over... The time is nigh that I will be able to dedicate energy to this creature again and rest assured that my energy will go into pushing the level of realism and detail beyond what I can envision at this stage... My reference folder for dragons, temples, monks and mountains is quite extensive atm and I'll be paying extra close attention to the placement of scales on the bendy bits like elbows and shoulders (or for that matter, the entire creature...) The main dragon will actually be viewed mostly front on, standing a little over human height on his front legs so all this fuss over scales will probably only be for my own purposes... Eh? It's just gotta be done me thinks... Absolutely made my morn to see your avatar and fine voice appear here again my friend:bowdown::D

dvelasco.. Hmmm, I considered diving into Zbrush with this guy already but I think I will stick with the method I'm currently using to keep the mathematically natural feel it was heading toward... I hope to use ZBrush for texturing... but I may do a Zpass before scaling him to define his meatyness more before covering him up...:beer: cheers for the nudge:thumbsup:

melkao.. lol, thanks, it's not actually textured yet...

soapy.. (curly attacks)...* Owh, a wwise guy uhh... nyuk nyuk nyuk... *walks away chuckling at what life in soapy's head must be like* LYW mate:thumbsup:

I hear this creature taunting me every night when I lay down to sleep... I dare say it wont be long at all before I take him up and give him a real Macking (TM)...
Humble thanks to all you mental folk who have been holding my hand while I learn to swim in the deep end:bowdown: :wavey: I'll be in over my head again in no time...

melkao
10-05-2005, 09:53 PM
is doesn't textured?.....wow that means that you do somethig great....the bump on the model seems like a texture:buttrock:

DaddyMack
10-06-2005, 02:09 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1128604186_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7930/7930_1128604186_large.jpg)

Hi guys, I think I got most of my scale issues sorted out, he's still far from finished but I thought I'd throw him into a quick pose to see if his mesh would behave... So far so good

Cheers;)

AndyH
10-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Looks real nice - good deformations.
Whats with the sudden bald patch on his rear legs though?

suk-grigorij
10-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Awesom detalisation, mate. Is your dragon fully rigged, or you just posed him this way?

Lemog
10-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Fantastic details... I can't imagine the number of scales... the "most" for the final touch :thumbsup:

Gunilla
10-06-2005, 05:12 PM
He looks so splendid, DaddyMack! :thumbsup:
Well worth all the work, I'd say.

DaddyMack
10-06-2005, 09:19 PM
melkao.. Thanks, I'm trying my little heart out...

DaddyMack.. nearly there mate;)

Andy H.. Cheers mate.. The bald patch is just because I was impatient... I wanted to do a quick pose before I finished scaling him...slacker:p

suk-grigorij.. Thanks my friend, he's not rigged yet, just posed him with a quick centreline skeleton, I plan to use this model for future pices so he will be fully articulated, including a kooky facial rig I'm developing...

Lemog.. Thanks man and YOINKS!! my scene is already getting heavy... I've kept a 'quarter res' mesh though for distant dragons, rigging etc...

Gunilla.. Thank you, I think this guy will exceed my initial expectations... That always makes me really happy;) and motivates me to be infinite in detailing... Cheers

You guys are the best:bowdown: Humble thanks to you all...:wavey:

ihamid
10-06-2005, 09:26 PM
aha an update atlast DaddyMack!cool skining there and its supposed to be a quick pose ;)!
well done mate!
cheers!

shakes
10-06-2005, 09:29 PM
yeeow!- looking great! just love all those scales-you're going to have lots of fun texturing it!
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9609/crazysmiley3rh.gif http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9609/crazysmiley3rh.gif

makaron
10-06-2005, 09:31 PM
He is sooo cute, this big, happy worm :) Itīs gonna be something really good see in color and the right pose later on... :bounce:

DaddyMack
10-07-2005, 12:13 AM
yunisirees.. Hey thanks Yuni! I will get to articulating him soon... Believe it or not rigging is one of my favourite pastimes :p (funny whenever I say that I always feel reeeally uncool...)

Shakes.. http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9609/crazysmiley3rh.gifhttp://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9609/crazysmiley3rh.gif Indeed.. But I do have a (theoretical...ulp...) plan.. for both painting weights and textures for this bugger.. :beer:

makaron.. ... cute... worm... Grrr... lol... He should be be a good rig when I'm finally done with him and I dare say he should hopefully provide for some fine eye candy too... hopefully...

Thanks again guys I could never do this without yuz:cry:, I'm almost through the school holidays so I'll soon have more headspace and energy to really crash tackle this project... For now tho... I'm being dragged off to watch Wallace and Grommit :p :wavey:

JamesMK
10-07-2005, 10:31 AM
He looks great now, and the pose at the bottom of that last render is really sporty!

The thighs on his hindlegs look a bit naked though.

By the way, I recently discovered that 'YOINKS' or rather 'YOINK' is an officially valid expression - in an episode of Simpsons, where Mr Burns has lost a 1000-dollar bill, which is subsequently found by Bart (in Milhouse's hair incidently), the 'Yoink!' is used by Mr Burns himself when he snatches the bill back from Bart. Yep.

GavinYoul
10-07-2005, 10:57 AM
fantastic detailing, keep up the great work mate!

handlebar
10-07-2005, 11:17 AM
you should change your middle name to eye candy DaddyMac. Wonderful http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gif

LAURO_MX
10-07-2005, 03:47 PM
This dragon is being answome!!
The details of the scales are impressive!
cheers