PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular 2D Entry: James McWilliams

JMcWilliams
09-05-2005, 09:34 AM
James McWilliams is entered in the "Spectacular Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/view_entries.php?challenger=7867)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: Getting the feel
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7867/7867_1126115736_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2615187#post2615187)

JMcWilliams
09-05-2005, 09:34 AM
I was not planning on joining, but this topic sounds fun :D

ace4016
09-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Good luck:thumbsup:

MichaelZHsee
09-05-2005, 10:52 AM
just have fun~i'll try to squizzz some time into this one~hehe.good luck and enjoy the challenge.:thumbsup:

JMcWilliams
09-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Thank you both, good luck to you. :thumbsup:

I've pretty much decided on what I'm going to do, no sketch so far, but here is the story behind what I'm probably going to do...

i'll put the final story up at a later time (when the image is finished probably) but I'll quickly write down the crux of it here for the time being...

---------------------------------------------
The aircraft a young android is travelling in with his 'family' (ie. his creators and thier children) is destroyed mid flight and breaks apart. He freefalls with a family member, a young girl. They tear through the canopy and lose sight of each other (she is killed at that point). The android impacts several branches, smashing through them. Unfortunaly his fall is still not at an end and he hits a cliff edge. He tumbles further and further down the rock face, his body being torn apart.
Finally he comes to a rest under the thick canopy inside the deep gorge. His body is in ruins.
The Android transfers himself into a tiny robotic insect buried within his head.

He climbs outside of his head to the surface of his shattered bodies skin. Hairs tower above like tree's, spiraling and trailing skin patterns appear like vast channels in an alien landscape.

Using nanotechnology the Android rebuilds his body over many years by using the nearby particles as resources. He begins building more nanobots to aid his reconstruction. No matter is unusable, vegitation, rock, insect life. All is harvested and used.
---------------------------------
I'll probably base the image in the reconstruction phase.

Anyhow,
Sketches to come when I get some time.

JMcWilliams
09-07-2005, 05:55 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7867/7867_1126115736_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7867/7867_1126115736_large.jpg)

Here is a quick 'speed paint' :D
I'm just trying to get a feel for what I am aiming for. This is not what my final image will look like in anyway other than the scale, I just want to do some quick concepts to find the right atmosphere.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a sort of montage... kind of ;)

Squibbit
09-07-2005, 05:58 PM
welcome dude , excpecting to see some cool stuff :thumbsup:

JMcWilliams
09-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Thanks man :D

umbrellasky
09-07-2005, 06:23 PM
hmmmmm...interesting concept :) I can't wait to see more! Good luck with your ideas :thumbsup:

BaronImpossible
09-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Cool, good luck and have fun :)

JMcWilliams
09-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Thank you, Good luck to you both. :bounce:

coCoKNIght
09-08-2005, 04:32 PM
so what's it gonna be INSIDE those drops? :)
me too has great expectations! :bounce:

JMcWilliams
09-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Well, I'm thinking of using an extreme wide angle view... possibly doing a panoramic that completely links up on each side of the canvas. possibilities include a view from the robotic bugs POV (with compound eye distortion) and also shots of other bots reaping resources for the reconstruction. So they'll be mid breaking down dead insects (that look huge compared to the bot-bugs), plantlife, rocks. The body will also be seen half re-built.

I've yet to do any more work on this yet, because I have several projects running along side this and they all need my attention. Anyhow, I'll try and get a sketch done sometime soon-ish, but I'm off on holiday for 3 weeks from saturday and so will take my lappy and midget tablet with me. :D

... off to florida... so farewell! ;)

ace4016
09-08-2005, 10:45 PM
I like that the concept. The microscoptic world is truely spectacular with how different things look like upclose and the scale. Good luck and enjoy your stay in Florida (hehe, this must mean im on vacation year round:D ).

M477
09-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Good to see you in another challenge!

So far so good, looking forward to seeing more posts - have fun in the US :beer:

JMcWilliams
09-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Hello everyone!
Thanks for the comments, I'm in the Apple shop in some mall in Florida... only chance I've had of internet access :D

Cya in 2 weeks. :P

CGTalk Moderation
09-16-2005, 07:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.