PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular 2D Entry: jonny duddle

Pages : [1] 2

duddlebug
09-05-2005, 08:39 AM
jonny duddle is entered in the "Spectacular Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/view_entries.php?challenger=7812)

Latest Update: Final Image: The Spectacular Cirque de Spectaculaire!
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1133901005_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2887526#post2887526)

It was a grey day.

It was always a grey day.

The dark grey mills belched out their dark grey smoke into the dark grey sky as thousands of children scampered along cobbled streets to be greeted by the dark grey foremen of the dark grey mills.

But something felt different this morning.

There was the faint burble of music and a strange red tint to the dark grey clouds.

Joseph stopped on his way to the dark grey clog factory where he spent most of his dark grey days. He could see shafts of red light spilling through the archways in the dark grey viaduct. And from the other side of the dark grey terraces he could hear music. It wasn't beautiful, but he so rarely heard music that it seemed to him to be so very beautiful.

Other children stopped.

A thousand children stopped.

A thousand children breathing light grey mist into the dark grey air.

And then it appeared between the dark grey arches.

A burbling, trundling, tumbling circus of scarlet and ivory shrouded in a creeping, crawling, inquisitive mist.

As it edged towards him along the dark grey cobbles, Joseph had never seen anything like it. He had never seen anything so colourful. He had never seen anything so red. So very very red.

In all of his dark grey life, Joseph had never seen anything so Spectacular!

duddlebug
09-05-2005, 08:42 AM
oooOooOoh... this is exciting, isn't it??

Spectacular, eh?

Didn't Poshspice guess this one...? He'll think he's a really clever boy now.

Squibbit
09-05-2005, 08:42 AM
welcome duddlezzz!!

ace4016
09-05-2005, 08:44 AM
I missed your past challenge entries and I regreted it, won't miss this one. Good luck:thumbsup:

AlyFell
09-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Hi Jonny! Woohoo! This is gonna be fun!

duddlebug
09-05-2005, 08:45 AM
welcome duddlezzz!!

Thankzzz Squibbitzzz!!

I must try and finish this one. The last couple of challenges have gone a bit pear shaped.

Spectacular spectacular spectacular.... hmmmmm??

MichaelZHsee
09-05-2005, 08:46 AM
welcome again duddle~all the best!:scream:

TheFirstAngel
09-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Cant wait to see what u come up with! Best luck and have loadsa fun!

tlggungor
09-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Good luck :) :bounce:

Velinov
09-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Go Jonny, go!!! Nice to see you around! Good luck buddy! :thumbsup:

coCoKNIght
09-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Hey johnny, this time I won't mind you using that cintiq tablet, this time I won't go 5D :)
So let's see what you've got! :buttrock:

monsitj
09-05-2005, 09:22 AM
Hi jonny! glad to see you again ! good luck!

duddlebug
09-05-2005, 09:44 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1125909865_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1125909865_large.jpg)

So here's a first doodle... had to be quick because i've gotta start some 'proper' work... it's 9.30!!

And it doesn't look very spectacular yet... but then you can't see what's behind him... :)

It's got a circus feel, which may not be the most original interpretation of the word 'spectacular', butit's a start...

And this little chap thinks he looks spectacular. Or is he just embarrassed?

MichaelZHsee
09-05-2005, 09:49 AM
ahh~~!i wanna see the sketch~its not showing here,or is it ust me?
u r fast~wish i could do it now but i'm in office~:)

duddlebug
09-05-2005, 09:52 AM
ahh~~!i wanna see the sketch~its not showing here,or is it ust me?
u r fast~wish i could do it now but i'm in office~:)

Bah!! That's rubbish! Maybe there's some bugs in the system... ho hum.

I can see it here. But i can't see Xillions... and a i can't see my thumbnail now!?

I'm sure it'll all work like buttered clockwork by lunchtime. :)

Elsie
09-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Hmm, the little thumbnails showing for me but when I access the thread it's not working...ah well, thumbnail looks really nice - good luck with the challenge ^_^

duddlebug
09-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Hmm, the little thumbnails showing for me but when I access the thread it's not working...ah well, thumbnail looks really nice - good luck with the challenge ^_^

no worries... the thumbnail's probably more interesting than the sketch. :)

i couldn't see Xillion's sketch when i first went to his thread.... but i can now. Very strange. I'm sure it'll all sort itself out.

MichaelZHsee
09-05-2005, 10:06 AM
cool~it shows now~as always~cute sketch u've got there~:scream:

Xillion
09-05-2005, 10:09 AM
hi! as promised here I am!...the sketch is coming along fine , cant' wait to see what's in the background! As for the image bug ...I think the problem lies when you edit the post. I think you could not se the image because I was somewhat messing with the text in the edit window. All run fine again as I finalized the edits.

authentic
09-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Hope you'll have more time for this challenge to make us a great picture.

good luck.

AnimZiggy
09-05-2005, 10:21 AM
*humbly subscribes* :scream:

NinjaA55N
09-05-2005, 10:25 AM
I hope u'll make it this time, good luck! I have faith in u :bounce:

Yongkiat
09-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Look like a good start. A simple image (doodle) you did can later become something really spectacular :)

Yong

AndyH
09-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Nice to see thee on board mr duddle - a concept idea already?! Aint yo got work to do?

Lookin ace so far - love the idea.

flyingP
09-05-2005, 10:47 AM
jonny duddle is entered in the "Spectacular Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/view_entries.php?challenger=7812)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: balloons
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1125909865_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2603535#post2603535)

brilliant :applause:

how's the sleep dad ?

AlyFell
09-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Aint yo got work to do?

Yes he has got work to do...! Ahem..., and so have I.... *skulks off*...

duddlebug
09-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Yes he has got work to do...! Ahem..., and so have I.... *skulks off*...

Pah!! I know i said i wouldn't kick up CGtalk until 11am... but... but... i.... just... can't... help... it....

umbrellasky
09-05-2005, 11:04 AM
hey hey! looking good. Hope all goes well for ya, good luck with the challenge!

MrFreeman
09-05-2005, 11:24 AM
:) Good Luck Jonny

I'll be watching this space as always....don't mean to put the pressure on but you always come up with something....spectacular!!

:thumbsup:

TheFirstAngel
09-05-2005, 11:35 AM
sweet. seems you already are ready to lift off! keep it up mate! :scream:

artjunkie
09-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Great start there duds! Welcome to another challenge. I'm sure you'll finish this one in time for the judging. Looking forward to seeing more of your magic, bro.

Cheers and good luck!

duddlebug
09-05-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm gonna post another sketch soon... it's another quickie but it's more indicative of what the final image could look like. I've just gotta do some tweaks in photoshop.

But first...

Squibbit, ace4016, Poshtart, sh@ke, the1stangel, -tolga-, velinov, coCoKNight, monsitj: Thanks for saying 'hello' before i'd even drawn anything. I love the community in these challenges, and it's great to see new people joining each time!

Elsie: i hope you can see it now...?

sh@ke, authentic, anim_ziggy, NinjaASSN, Yongkiat, enialadam, MrFreeman, artjunkie: Cheers! And i promise to finish this one. (I don't think my girlfriend could pop another little tinker out in the next three months!) I'm gonna try and settle on a final image early on and spend my time getting it just right. (Instead of spending two thirds of my time thinking up a story and getting distracted by a new baby or a new job just before the end of the challenge!)

Xillion: Yup... i think it was a glitch with post editing. All seems to work fine now. Good luck with your entry!

Andy_H: And you can't be working too hard with all this browsing... :p

FlyingP: Cheers Brian! The sleeps not so bad... must've managed five hours or so last night, and i feel positively perky! And the sleepless nights are worth it for just one of Daisy's smiles... (see, i'm even going all soft and sentimental)

I'll post my next sketch soon... and then i'll relax and do some browsing...

:bounce:

duddlebug
09-05-2005, 12:53 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1125921193_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1125921193_large.jpg)

So here's another rough sketch...

I've got this vision of a really colourful circus arriving in a drab northern mill town. If you're from the UK, then you'll know exactly the sort of drabness i mean...

I want a 'spectacular' contrast between the townsfolk and the circus.

And at the front of the circus will be the little boy on the tricycle...

And everyone will be looking at him...

OooOoooh.......

Overchord
09-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Lol - love your first sketch - the kid looks like he's somehow tired of life already :D

Good luck in the challenge - looking forward to seeing the expansion of the sketch!

yAdam
09-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Good luck man! Cool idea:scream:..looking forward to this one. So many people already working hard on this challenge! I need to start!

crowley
09-05-2005, 01:09 PM
*take a look*
*whine*
*whine some more*
*suscribe*
(glad to see you there Duddle :D)

Adamos
09-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Yo Jonny!

Hows ya Little Daisy? Hope you guys are one 'FAT' happy trio! Just checked out your site recently, loved the one where Vern and Fluff are about to have dinner...

And RESPECT for not sketching on a wacom ON PURPOSE! :) Neither can I! :D
It's just not paper...

By the way wicked perspective!

AnimZiggy
09-05-2005, 01:30 PM
I like your idea a lot... Especially with that contrast...similar to mine lol...Lovely sketch!

NinjaA55N
09-05-2005, 01:32 PM
damn, ur sketches r so awesome, full of emotions even if there r just some lines put together. I really admire u! And this idea of contrasts seems very promising as well, I'd just play a bit more with the angle of camera. Otherwise, this is great! Keep posting, more sketches, let us drool :drool:

duddlebug
09-05-2005, 01:34 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1125923673_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1125923673_large.jpg)

Here's another version of the last sketch, but with some tone added.

The circus will be much more 'spectacular' but the funny 'schindler's list' look seemed to work and i only wanted to spend fifteen minutes or so playing around with it. I'll start a fresh sketch next. And decide if i really want to head down this route. I might knock ot a few different ideas before i settle. But i do think that this theme really suits the circus idea. It's probably a cliche. But we all love a cliche...

That's probably it for today...

Xillion
09-05-2005, 01:37 PM
oh gosh...I'm just out of the competition :(, this last sketch really is Spectacular! Can't stand no chance. Good bye dear BoXX....:sad:

just kidding! :scream:. Lovely atmosphere!

calisto-lynn
09-05-2005, 01:46 PM
hiyaaa! wellcome, duddlebug! nice sketches!!:)

NOOB!
09-05-2005, 01:49 PM
isn't the circus supposed to be fun? they look hella depressed heheh,great imagery though!

AndyH
09-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Excellent start duddle (i love saying that name)

Youre making me really miffed because you have an idea and an initial sketch, whereas i havent an idea in my head. And doing WORK isnt helping much either!

:cry:

I need a week off......

duddlebug
09-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Overchord: Ta! Yup... he does look a little 'jaded' doesn't he...? I might make 'he' a 'she' yet...

yAdam: I think the sudden burst of doodling is just a release of the tension built up whilst waiting for the challenge!! I'm not gonna be doing any more drawing today. Got other stuff that needs doing!

crowley: Hey!! Thanks for looking in! It's gonna be a fun challenge methinks!

Adamos: Hey! Cheers! And the 'Fat' is quite appropriate... i've put nearly two stone on since Jane got pregnant. I think it was a sympathy pregnancy... it just didn't disappear when Daisy arrived. Hmmm. And i'm actually getting better at sketching with a Wacom... but only at work... i got a Cintiq at the office a few weeks ago. It's amazing!

anim_ziggy: Cheers... i'll go have a look at yours in my next break!

NinjaASSN: Thanks a lot! I think i'm gonna bring the angle of the camera down for the next sketch...

Xillion: Thankyou... i think this is gonna be a great competition because the brief is so darn open! It'll be a hard one for Linda and DAryl and the other Judges...

calisto: Cheers!

NOOB!: Haha... yup... they look kinda depressed. In the finished pice i want a kinda strange feel to the whole thing, so i think the townsfolk will look depressed and the circus folk will look a bit too happy... Odd happy... Spooky happy...

Andy H: Thanks Andy! You've got that great name too, Mr.Hickinbottom. As a matter of fact, i think one of the circus folk may be a Mr.Hickinbottom... :) And i need six months off. That's what i need... That'd be splendid!

Mythmaker
09-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Jeeez! Don't waste any time do you?!! :D

I really like the idea - I'm sure you'll pull it off spectacularly! ;)

Art2
09-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Johnny finish it, ok? Heheh, good luck!
Great sketch allready :thumbsup:.

Nox
09-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Hi nice to see u back duddlebug look good, like your technique but just need that WOW factor now.

ArtisticVisions
09-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Nice to see you in this, duddlebug. :)

You have some interesting and creative ideas so far.
However... as it is right now, the scene just doesn't seem very spectacular to me. Maybe it's the angle of the viewer or the camera, but the fantasical nature of a circus just doesn't come across well in the current sketch.

I'll definately be watching this, as I think it'll still turn out to be a great entry.

AndyH
09-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Looking ace, but to combat some of the responses you have so far, i would think bigger! Think wider scope, think more colourful, think ticker tape parade with confetti, fireworks and lots of other colourful stuff floating about in the air. The end scenes in kiki's delivery service when she saves the boy springs to mind.

Keep at it, lad!

Squibbit
09-05-2005, 05:11 PM
so u like the circus much huh? :D

really nice pic, funky angle :thumbsup:

duddlebug
09-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Mythmaker: Thanks! They're only quick scribbles... but i hope i can work them up into something spectacular... hmmm.

Art2: I will finish this one. I promise. I can't foresee any decent excuses not to finish. :)

Nox: Cheers... there's a lot to do to this idea... if i even stick with it. These sketches were a gut reaction. I may stick with the circus... i may not. But hopefully i'll have fun trying to decide!

ArtisticVisions: Thanks! I agree that the circus isn't 'spectacular' enough in this sketch. if i go for something like this i want to contrast the grey, forlorn, tired looking people with the very spectacular circus folk. I just ran out of lunch hour and couldn't colour this version. But i may just get on with a fresh sketch. Or maybe some other ideas.... I hope i don't disappoint...

Andy H: Cheers ANdy... And you're thinking along the lines that i have planned. If i stick with it. :) I've not seen 'kiki's delivery service' though... :shrug:

Squibbit: Hahaha... yup... another circus... but it's a very very very different circus to Monkey Girl's Mechanical Monkey Circus. Maybe i've gone back to the theme because i didn't really explore it with the Monkey Girl images... Or maybe i should try something completely different?? Maybe i could do a monkey circus with frankenstein child musicians performing for a little kid who just so happens to be the King of Space...? :p

pushav
09-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Nice drawings! good luck.

TheFirstAngel
09-05-2005, 06:18 PM
saawwweet! promisses a colorfull and lovely piece :sceam: looking forward to this!

W-I-L
09-05-2005, 07:28 PM
concept looks original and promising... glad to see u in it.

Arc80
09-05-2005, 08:14 PM
great start dude. goodluck and i'll be dropping by.

cheers

Comlock
09-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Looking nice so far=) love the composition and the "archy" "cartoony" angles.
great style!

Dutchman
09-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Wow man... Whát an ideas! :cool: That's really cool stuff what you got down on that paper! :bowdown:

Especially the mood and coloring in the final image will be stunning, as well as your brushstrokes will be!

I can't wait for updates... In every case you work is always inspirational! :)

Good luck! & Keep it up!,
Gijs

spyroteknik
09-05-2005, 10:19 PM
first sketch is pretty kickass, and can see where you're headed, am most definately going to pop in here a bit, best o british mr bug

BaronImpossible
09-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Ha, that's wonderful, love the perspective on the street. Good luck!

Kirt
09-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Good luck to you Duddle ... I'll be watching this one.
I hope I have time to provide more comments this challenge than in previous ones.

Looking good so far, but maybe it needs more "Spectacular!" for your circus. They seem kinda' ordinary to me.

coCoKNIght
09-06-2005, 12:44 AM
That looks very promising, i like the perspective and point of view a lot. very good fitting to the theme. just be sure to add loads of crazy colorfull circus stuff on the bg ;)

Smash.rs
09-06-2005, 12:52 AM
Circus uh!?! This gonne be FUN!!
Good Luck!

se7enthcin
09-06-2005, 12:55 AM
nice idea... I really dig it! Keep going :cool:

Kid-Mesh
09-06-2005, 02:59 AM
Looks like one to watch :twisted:

Subscribing

MichaelZHsee
09-06-2005, 03:17 AM
nice going johny~always have a style of ur own~keep em coming mate:thumbsup:

duddlebug
09-06-2005, 08:47 AM
WoW!! I haven't had chance to get online since leaving work yesterday, and there's been lots of posts... Cheers!! :)

pushav: Thanks!

the1st_angel: Thanks sacha! I'm not 100% set on this yet... i've got a few other ideas with similar characters... in the dressing room, backstage, marching along with a lovely sunset, mid-performance etc etc... Sketches to come!

W!L: Ta! I'm wondering whether the idea is a bit cliched really. Although it depends how i approach it i 'spose. And i did have some kinda circus theme to my 'Monkey Girl' image, even if it was very different.

Arc80: Thanks! I'll try and get some more stuff drawn then... :)

Comlock: Thankyou... I'd like to keep some of the 'cartoon angles' and proportions while getting more real and textural with my painting. I might even try and get this image done in Painter. Or at least a combination of Painter and Photoshop.

Dutchman: Thanks Gijs! I think mood will have big part to play. I want a kind of dark feel to the circus whilst still being spectacular. I'll see how it goes...

spyroteknik: Haha... i'm glad you can see where i'm headed bcause i'm in a quagmire of not-spectacular-enough ideas!!

Baron Impossible: Thanks Simon. I see this story taking place in Buxton (where i live) or somewhere like Ffestiniog in Wales. Both of which are very hilly, and would make an old thirties truck struggle. We went to Ffestiniog on a school trip when i was about nine (i grew up in North Wales and want to move back there... it's beautiful!) and i love the feel of the slate mines and the dark slate terraced houses. I want that kind of contrast with the colourful (but spooky!) circus... I also might try the circus arriving by train...

Kirt: Thanks Kirt... I agree about the circus. It was a quick sketch. I'll have to start some proper character design i reckon!! And then make them colourful (but spooky). And spectacular (but spooky). :)

coCoKNIght: "just be sure to add loads of crazy colorfull circus stuff on the bg"... i'm working on it!! Honest!!

Smash.rs: Oh yes... it's gonna be a circus! :)

se7enthcin, Kid Mesh, sh@ke: Thanks guys!

Phew... thanks a lot everyone! I'll try and get some more sketches posted soon! I'll have to wait until my lunch hour though... bah!!

ROWAN
09-06-2005, 09:13 AM
wow nice design im really looking forward to this one good luck

AlyFell
09-06-2005, 09:50 AM
I think this idea's wonderful Jonny! Full of the magic and innocence you do sooo well! A few dancing girls and this'll be a winner! ;)

shaddax
09-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Yeah Great Idea ! What is more spectacular than a circus ? ;) Good Luck !

TheFirstAngel
09-06-2005, 10:26 AM
ah just lovely. THe set you created instantly gives a greeat feeling for the upcoming piece :)
well cant wait to see your spectacular parade, this is goin to be just great!:beer:

LadyMedusa
09-06-2005, 10:33 AM
It looks really nice at the moment
Looking forward to see the final result :)

DimitrisLiatsos
09-06-2005, 11:08 AM
That's it ...now i am subscribed....u are bound to bubble zone..:bounce:

duddlebug
09-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Poshspice: Dancing Girls, eh? You can never have too many dancing girls.... and the less innocent the better, in my view... ;)

The Witch: Thanks... I've just gotta make this circus look spectacular!?

the1st_angel, Lady Medusa, ROWAN: Cheers!

DimitrisLiatsos: Um... just try and keep me out of the bubble zone!! Yeh!!

Nachev
09-06-2005, 02:38 PM
nice sketch man. Good luck!:thumbsup:

anilduran
09-06-2005, 05:06 PM
hi
it's really very different looking side...it's going interesiting. i'm looking forward other sketches....
good luck..bro...

AirbORn
09-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Nice to see you again in the challenge. Love the concepts so far!

wildekyote
09-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Your style of work is awesome. The use of color in all your images really makes your images stand above. The set is proving to be one that will be watched throughout the whole competition. Keep it up. I can't wait to see more.

paperclip
09-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Hey jonny!!

Looking good so far! I'm just making the rounds to see who's involved this time around, glad to see you pushing out the boat already. I'll keep an eye on this one. :D

duddlebug
09-06-2005, 10:07 PM
I've not had chance to update today. I had a busy day at work and i've had some stuff to get on with at home this evening... i'll post something tomorrow. I promise!

Nachev, anil6tr, AirbORn, wildekyote: Thanks for the interest.. i'm hoping to get really into this challenge... lots more to come over the next few weeks!!

SideAche
09-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Good luck Johnny, always good to see familiar names!

duddlebug
09-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Looking good so far! I'm just making the rounds to see who's involved this time around, glad to see you pushing out the boat already. I'll keep an eye on this one. :D

hi Theresa! you must have jumped in there as i was posting! I hope you enjoy what i'm going to post... i think this could be a really fun project! :)

Sideache: Cheers! I love the community these challenges develop! It's gonna be a laugh methinks!

XIA
09-07-2005, 12:53 AM
Jesus Chris, Duddie! How long have you been hiding in here. 6 PAGES already! Slow down man! wait for the fellas. Damn!

LOOKIN GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

duddlebug
09-07-2005, 02:22 AM
Jesus Chris, Duddie! How long have you been hiding in here. 6 PAGES already! Slow down man! wait for the fellas. Damn!

hahahaha... i am going slow! I've not even had chance to draw anything today!! i did those sketches yesterday in about twenty minutes each! I need to start working on the idea but i'm too busy!

I'm gonna get cracking tomorrow though.... you'll see!! woohoo!! :D

jeromoo
09-07-2005, 03:06 AM
Hey there jonny! I am a bit confused with the theme. I thought we are supposed to come up with something extraordinary that might happen in the future. Something like futuristic city, close encounters of the third kind, new inventions, etc. Your current concept seems to suggest the past instead. Anyhow, the theme sounds quite open-ended, so I hope all of us here didn't unknowingly cross into the no-that's-wrong zone.

botched
09-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Nice! What could be more spectacular than a circus! I very much like this sketch...

walrus
09-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Good to see you back, Jonny. Don't have any kids this time 'round and you should make it to the finish line, no prob at all! :)

-mike

duddlebug
09-07-2005, 08:53 AM
I am a bit confused with the theme. I thought we are supposed to come up with something extraordinary that might happen in the future. Something like futuristic city, close encounters of the third kind, new inventions, etc. Your current concept seems to suggest the past instead. Anyhow, the theme sounds quite open-ended, so I hope all of us here didn't unknowingly cross into the no-that's-wrong zone.

Hey Jeremoo!! Thanks for dropping by, but i think you've been thrown by CGtalk's introduction (like a few other people have). They say:

"Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history as one of those iconic spectacular images that grasps viewers by the throat"

They don't want an image that portrays 'future history' necessarily... more that it could become 'future history'. They want a Spectacular image that could become iconic. Like they say... an image that "that quickens the pulse; that excites and scares at the same time".

It doesn't need to be set in the future... honest. It just needs to be spectacular, iconic, memorable, exciting and all that!! There's more discussion on this point in the FAQ... although it becomes a confusing read at times! :)

Thanks again for dropping by, jeremoo!

botched: Thankyou! And precisely!! What could be more spectacular than a circus?? (Other than a circus exploding, perhaps? Or a spaceship crashing into a circus!! Or a dragon eating a circus for breakfast!? Or a great battle between tow circuseses!! Or a circus falling into a volcano!? Or... or... um... ok i'll shut up...)

walrus: Hi Michael! Thanks! Actually i still do have a kid... :) . As they say: "a kid's for life, not just for easter". :p

And, yes, i am 100% definitely going to make sure i finish this challenge!! (Ooh 'eck... i've said it now!)

jbballaran
09-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Very original man. Your picture feels weird... Or is that just cause of the circus idea? :P Love it, nonetheless.

duddlebug
09-07-2005, 09:29 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126081747_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126081747_large.jpg)

To avoid confusion, I'm still going with the Circus theme (i think), but i had this idea when i was looking at the sky last night.

So here's some russian monkey whose lost in space, sat on an asteroid, looking back at the milky way and thinking back to his happy childhood in a russian zoo (??) or some jungle somwhere before he was grabbed by the monkey team from the space program. And he's thinking how pretty the Milky Way looks. And he's thinking about home...

But, like i said, i'm going with the circus probably. This is just a fun piece. For fun. And it's a monkey. I can't go a whole challenge without drawing a monkey!

MichaelZHsee
09-07-2005, 09:34 AM
haha johny,u must have stuff going on with monkeys,thats a nice sketch yet its pretty amusing too.u have quite a way on most of ur ideas.keep it going mate!:)

AndyH
09-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Damn! Thats one of my potential ideas scuppered!
I was thinking of a space-chimp looking down on earth from his space capsule.

But you and monkeys go sooo well, so :thumbsup:

duddlebug
09-07-2005, 09:48 AM
But you and monkeys go sooo well

Erm... i don't know what you're talking about. Nothing was ever proven. They let me off with a caution...

(and like i said, i don't think i'm going with this one... probably heading for the circus!)

And thanks Sh@ke!!

Elsie
09-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Heh, the monkey sketch is cool, but definitely go with the circus. I love the little kid on the tricycle...circus people give me the creeps so it's kinda like "Ah, he's sweet but I'm not going anywhere near the creepy little *$&"^!". I love the faces in the crowd too - I think the pic is very Tim Burton actually.

BaronImpossible
09-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Space Monkeys! You can't go wrong with a monkey, so the saying goes. Let's see more :)

Screenblind
09-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Maybe you could incorporate the spacemonkey as a feature of the circus? it would be a shame not to include him - especially if he had big spectacles on too.

ahem.

Loving the graffik style though duddle, just had a nice click on your King of Space which made me smile.

I'll keep an eye on your already-spectacularly-long thread too.

Squibbit
09-07-2005, 11:32 AM
a little trip to space for fun ,huh? very nice

Rudeone
09-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Hahaha kickass sketches Duddle, spacemonkey rocks!
I do prefer the circus though.
Good luck man and finish this time!!

duddlebug
09-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks folks!

Glad you like my monkey. But he's merely a distraction! I'll be back on the circus this lunchtime! (although ihave had an idea about a kid on a BMX jumping all his mates in an evil knievel styleeee... i'll have to sketch that out!!)

Elsie: It's definitely gonn abe a creepy circus. And i'm working the idea up in my head with a big unecessary story. More of that later...

Baron Impossible: probably no more monkeys this time, Simon. Unless i sneak one into the circus parade..?

Avatarist: Haha... nope!! My circus story is a 'period drama' and the space race was another 30 years in the future! Although space can do funny things to the space-time-continuum! But i do like him... so he might appear in the King of Space!!

Squibbit: Oh yes... Just for the view!

Rudeone: I'm gonna finish this one. I think i actrually promised i would a bit earlier. And a duddle never breaks a promise!! (That's what my grandad says anyhow)

AndyH
09-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Hey - i love the evel kenievel idea! You should definately give that one a sketch. Maybe have him wearing a cereal box on his head painted in stars n stripes like evel's

Go for it

duddlebug
09-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Maybe have him wearing a cereal box on his head painted in stars n stripes like evel's

Haha... that'd be cool!

I thought he could have his mates lying on the ground behind the ramp (with the obligatory chubby kid!) and a row of girl's in the background looking on in either amazement or total disinterest!

Overchord
09-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Hehe nice sketch, but was getting worried that you were ditching the circus there for a moment :eek:
I'm sure you can manage to squeeze a monkey into the circus sketch as well :bounce:

Looking forward to seeing more - Now really gotta get started myself :eek:

duddlebug
09-07-2005, 01:43 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126096987_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126096987_large.jpg)

Especially for AndyH... but he's got a pan on his head for a helmet and not a cardboard box! It's got stars painted on it just like his hero, Evil Knievel!! It's the 1970s after all! And you don't get more spectacular down my street than jimmy jones jumping fatty arbuckle!!

Everyone else... please ignore... it's just another idea i had to visualise. I'll be back on the circus later today... or will i...?

BaronImpossible
09-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Ha! Excellent :)

GonzaloGolpe
09-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Good luck with your circus!:) It will be interesting to watch your evolution of this work:thumbsup:

AndyH
09-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Wooo! Nice job!

Keep the crackin ideas comin, lad!

Damn... I need to get my idea sorted - your ideas are pretty close to what i want to do.
I dont wanna go for anything dramatic, just something kinda ordinary, comical and cartoony.

Lookin forward to seeing whats next :thumbsup:

duddlebug
09-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Lookin forward to seeing whats next

i think i'd better get back to that circus actually...

Another circus image hopefully coming today!! Probably similar to the last circus image though...

And i've gotta think of a name for the circus too. I'm thinking of maybe a 'Cirque du ........' or a 'Cyrk ........' (what language is 'cyrk'?). If anyone's got any suggestions to fill in the blanks, then they'd be most appreciated. I want the circus to seem incredibly exotic in the dark grey streets of Ffestiniog... or Buxton...

ArtisticVisions
09-07-2005, 03:25 PM
I love the little Evil Knievil sketch (I can relate :rolleyes: ), but I think it should be grander - like 50 little kids lined up in a row and lil' Evil flying over them with his bike wheels on fire! :applause:

The space monkey concept is interesting; I see almost a sadness to it (even though I think you were trying for humorous).

Keep the ideas flowing, duddlebug; can't wait to see more. :)

OKMER
09-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Hy there Jonny!!Nice drawings and ideas there!!!Like the ape thing in space.Could be huge with this wide open universe around him.
But also like the kid impressing his friends,etc,etc...
Anyway impatient to see you working ya things out!!!
Good luck and espacialy loads of fun!!!

pushav
09-07-2005, 04:49 PM
LOL. I found this image to be funny. It reminds me of my childhood. Very nice.

Comlock
09-07-2005, 05:05 PM
haha. The last sketch is realy cool =)
Love the cartoony look
:applause:

duddlebug
09-07-2005, 06:16 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126113396_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126113396_large.jpg)

I thought it'd be best to get back to the Circus theme, after my irrelevant shenanigans earlier today.

So i've done some more doodling on top of the last circus image. I still haven't added colour to the image (other than the tricycle boy) but the circus folk will be coloured!!

Played around with smoke from the chimneys too. The cpomposition's all over the place but i'm just trying to tidy up my ideas in my head before i start on a 'fresh' version.

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

NOOB!
09-07-2005, 06:19 PM
nothing really to crit yet,its looking great!

AndyH
09-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Superb work once again! Can you spare some of your brain? Mail me some of your right hemisphere so i can think of a great idea and pull it off well!

Great composition, perspective and its got a lot of character. Everyone looks kinda morbid and depressed, what with those dead eyes and drab clothes, but it goes well with the image. Maybe try another version with everyone jumping around with bright, smiling faces and see what it looks like?

Zephyri
09-07-2005, 07:32 PM
That last sketch is pure duddle. Great Stuff this far Jonny, as ever, you have a masterful eye for character, this looks like it could turn into something straight out of a tim burton animation.

CodeNothing
09-07-2005, 07:52 PM
awsome! im liking this more. should mabie the viewers on the street not look so gloomy? like they are cliche 50's white american suburbia and these strange gloomy freak show is coming to town? possibly warm happy colors in the neighborhood but the show is bringing with them a cold desaturated shadow with them?
looks realy cool. I like seeing the characters all have personality like the siamese twins and stuff. this is gona be good. :)

duddlebug
09-07-2005, 10:51 PM
should mabie the viewers on the street not look so gloomy? like they are cliche 50's white american suburbia and these strange gloomy freak show is coming to town? possibly warm happy colors in the neighborhood but the show is bringing with them a cold desaturated shadow with them?

Hmmm... interesting suggestion, codenothing! I actually had it the other way around. That the townsfolk would be grey and drab and the circus would bring colour with it... but in a spooky stylee... worth thinking about the inverse of that though. I think i had the town as drab because it's based on the Wales where i grew up in the 70s and 80s. But it was based on all the tediousness and not the sunny days on long bike rides or building dens in the woods with my mates. I'm starting to develop a story for this, based in Ffestiniog, a slate mining town in Snowdonia in North Wales. A drab town and the lure of a spectacular circus (no matter how spooky!) are currently key to the plot. And possibly key to the 'story' of my final image and it's emotive elements... I'll see what happens as the ideas evolve...

Zepyhri: Cheers! Maybe Tim'll like it so much he'll buy the story off me and i'll live happily ever after writing stories and drawing characters for Tim Burton animated films!? That'd be splendid. But really rather unlikely... *sigh*... Thanks for the comment. I love Tim Burton stuff. Can't wait to see 'the Corpse Bride'!!

Andy H: i always seem to allow my characters to wallow in melancholy... maybe it's a release for all my woe and sorry feelings..? There may well be some smiles later...

NOOB: Thanks! There's still plenty of time for crits!

hdri
09-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Hello, Johnny!
Fabulous sketch, as usual! Have fun! It's an interesting challenge, and there will be plenty of original ideas and concepts. Yours is one of my favourites. Are you planning to add one of those terrific weirds of the XIX century circus?
Very nice composition.

calisto-lynn
09-07-2005, 11:47 PM
woow!! great sketches!!:D cheers!

matlars
09-08-2005, 01:19 AM
Hi
Great concept I must say. So nice to se something that is not a big explosion:) Characters design is spot on!

I like the fact that the street is gloomy and the people are sad. That makes the circus arriving so much more spectacular!

Only critic I have is that the little boy on the bike might be too far on the bottom of the images.
Maybe just add a few more pixels att the bottom and he will be a better framed...

Good luck. Will keep an eye on how this progress.
Its going to be great!

Mathias

duddlebug
09-08-2005, 08:50 AM
hdri: Thanks Antonio! I think there'll be a few strange faces and bodies in the circus... i'm actually planning on doing a few charcater studies as practice before i relly get stuck into my finished piece. I'm gonna try and use Painter for a good chunk of my painting (which i bought a couple of weeks ago and feel intimidated by every time i launch it up) so i'll need all the prcatice i can get!

calisto: Thanks!

matlars: Thanks... I'm glad you like the gloomy townsfolk! The story i'm developing is about a girl who joins this strange circus, so i want her to have an incentive. And escaping the drudgery of her small industrial town to join a spectacular circus is a great incentive! (just had an idea... 'Cirque du Spectaculaire'!! I've got the name sorted! Thanks for the prompt!) And i have to agree about the boy... i'll tweak it when i get on with the finished piece. But i think it's time for some charcater development, which fortunately is the bit i like best. Hurrah!!

Claireabella
09-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Looking good Jonny.................... :bounce:

AlyFell
09-08-2005, 11:05 AM
I like the one with the puppy and the deck chair...

Vahn
09-08-2005, 11:06 AM
hehehe very cool so far :)

i had a similiar idea as andyH and codenothing when i saw this last sketch... the circus troop is very gloomy but the crowd is really excited, dancing around and cheering the marching circus folk with lots of paper and ballons flying in the air ... i just saw howls moving castle and had those scenes of the street festival in mind .... would be a great contrast : the huge excited party crowd cheering this very gloomy expressionless circus troop marching trough the streets :D

uggh i got carried away... anyway great sketch and take a holiday so u can finish this time :P

duddlebug
09-08-2005, 11:07 AM
I like the one with the puppy and the deck chair...

um?

eh?

wha...?

(and thanks clairebella!)

duddlebug
09-08-2005, 01:34 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126182894_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126182894_large.jpg)

I spent my lunch hour having fun with puppet design...

I'm just starting to think about the various characters in 'Cirque du Spectaculaire' before i start on my final composition.

I'm probably gonna do quite a bit of this character stuff (to really get into the circus theme!) before i start on a finished piece.

MattDixon
09-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Haha! Wicked.

" Looking forward to watching this develop. "

AlyFell
09-08-2005, 01:40 PM
I LOVE this! It scares me... Top work Jonny! And I know I go on about him, but spooky in a Tor Lundvall way as well!!

Titanix-Avalon
09-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Ooh, awesome...circus theme! I can't wait to see the progress on this.

ArtisticVisions
09-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Oooooo... me like it, me like it! :applause:

I kinda agree with codenothing's suggestion about the townspeople: make them less gloomy and a little more upbeat (maybe a look of "What the f***?" :D ). Right now, just having the people in grey and the circus in color doesn't change the overall "gloom" nature of the piece. There needs to be a reason that this circus is spectacular to the townspeople; it has to be something they've never seen before, something that is different from "their" definition of a circus (happy, perky, smiling, etc.).

Just my own thoughts on it. Looking forward to see more, Johnny. :)

JasonChan
09-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Hey Johny! Ideas are looking good! Very creepy and cute at the same time :)

Can't wait to see where you take this!

duddlebug
09-08-2005, 04:50 PM
I kinda agree with codenothing's suggestion about the townspeople: make them less gloomy and a little more upbeat (maybe a look of "What the f***?" :D ). Right now, just having the people in grey and the circus in color doesn't change the overall "gloom" nature of the piece. There needs to be a reason that this circus is spectacular to the townspeople; it has to be something they've never seen before, something that is different from "their" definition of a circus (happy, perky, smiling, etc.)

Thanks for the comments, Jason. The gloom is kinda integral to my story at the moment. As usual i'm making my life more complicated than it needs to be and developing a whole project around this challenge. And in my story, the town needs to be gloomy. If you'd ever visited some of the british towns i've got in mind (especially on a gloomy day in the rain) then you'd know what i'm thinking. And in the 20s or 30s it'd have been even more grim. "It's GRiM Up NoRTh!" as they say in the flouncy green countryside of the southern counties!

And i've imagined that they've never seen a circus before. A circus has never visited. Ever. So any circus would seem spectacular.

And, of course, the circus is going to be far more spectacular and colourful than the rough.
I just need to do a whole chunk of character design first. Which is what the last (spectacularly red) image is the beginning stages of (which funnily enough was what i was listening to as i painted it... the Beginning Stages of the Polyphonic Spree! Maybe it had an influence..?)

thanks for the comments again... everything is taken on board and i'm gonna do a lot of meandering over three months...

MattDixon: Ta! I'll look forward to seeing it develop too...

Posh: Hooray! I scared Aly! My life is complete! I may go now and have a look at those Tor Lundvall images you sent me...

Titanix-Avalon: Thankyou!! Yup yup... a circus... but a strange and spooky circus with macabre intentions and a thirst for laughter...

eDiT: Hey Jason, missed you there while i was writing my waffley essay on stuff i'm not actually sure about. Thanks for looking in. I'll be dropping by yours for a look as soon as you post an image! Don't make us wait too long!

AndyH
09-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Gah! Thats scarily good! Is this another road youre heading along, or just some research into the puppet design? I think that kid looks a bit like elmer fudd :)

Looking hella ace!

OKMER
09-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Just excellent that last one!!!Like the little guy!!!

botched
09-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Those are some pretty twisted looking pupets. I like 'em!

duddlebug
09-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Is this another road youre heading along, or just some research into the puppet design? I think that kid looks a bit like elmer fudd!

Nope... not another road! The big puppets are part of the circus. If you look carefully at the previous post (the latest version of the circus arriving in town), there's one of these fellas to the left of the procession. Although it has got me thinking about doing an image during a performance, rather than their arrival... And he is a bit Elmer Fudd. the cheeks were actually more of a reference to my four month old daughter! She's got a sulky face just like it, but slightly less macabre!

Cheers OKMeR and botched!

am7
09-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Man! you'r style is so great. I love everything, keep this going! I'm really looking forward to see you'r final composition.

Keep it up!

duddlebug
09-08-2005, 06:34 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126200892_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126200892_large.jpg)

This one's a bit of a 'SPot the Difference'!!

I've had a play in Painter with some subtle impasto brushes and experimented with blenders... going for a more blocky 'illustrated' feel.

Just an experiment and a bit of fun!

AlyFell
09-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Goodness, I love you!

artjunkie
09-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Whew, duds... that's alotta thread to read through, LOL. Popular fella! :D Anyhoo, I've said it before and I'll say it many times over... I love your character design. Wonderfully simple with overtones of dark humour. Genious. Glad to see you're going with the circus theme, but dude, that space monkey... that killed me. LOL! And the kid jumping over his buddies to impress the girls... c'mon... who hasn't done THAT during their childhood?!
*sniff, memories*

Love them puppets too... they scare the hell outta me. Especially CLOWN puppets. Where's my shotgun? :twisted:

Keep up the great work bro... it's a pleasure to see a master at work :buttrock:

Cheers!

evanfotis
09-08-2005, 11:25 PM
You got a nack with atmospheric images. I like the fact that although these characters are supposwd to be funny, the carry an undercurrent tension and darkness of some kind.

Arc80
09-08-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm really liking the characters dude. they're very interesting. I'll see how everything plays out :thumbsup:

cheers

Squibbit
09-08-2005, 11:36 PM
cool munsters

duddlebug
09-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Poshspice: Um... er...

artjunkie: Thanks a lot... I'm glad you're liking it so far. I'm still in a bit of a quandry about the finished piece! But i'll get there... and I'm not sure whether to work this one up a bit, or just head onto another piece.

evanfotis: Thankyou!! "although these characters are supposwd to be funny, the carry an undercurrent tension and darkness of some kind" That's exactly the kind of mood i'm looking for!!

Arc80: Thanks! Hopefully everything will play out with me actually finishing a challenge!

Squibbit: And them munsters is coiming to get yooooooooooou... :p

I'm not sure what to draw today... hmmm. More circus folk... composition stuff... or tighten up the last drawing...?? ho hum.

Vectorius
09-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Like always your incredible style rocks!!:arteest: ... i wish you a good luck for this challenge and i 'll come back soon see next step of your work..cheers

calisto-lynn
09-09-2005, 11:23 AM
great wor!! the colours are great!! looks so dramatic!:thumbsup:

MichaelZHsee
09-09-2005, 11:51 AM
looks fab as always mate,both the big puppets behind are interestingly design,love the lil guy infront too~haha:thumbsup:

keko
09-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Great work so far. Always love your character design. Your characters have a lot of appeal.I'm really looking forward to see you'r final composition too. best of luck:thumbsup:

duddlebug
09-09-2005, 01:51 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126270286_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126270286_large.jpg)

Ho hum... It's back to the final image... and here's a fiddle to try the image with a landscape format. It's a quick job but i'm just experimenting. There's plenty of time, after all!

Landscape could give me greater scope for adding a few more circus folk, but now i've done it i think it diminishes the scale of the circus truck and i lose the feeling of claustrophobia i think i had with the earlier version. The claustrophobia added to the dark and eerie feel of the circus, so i think i'll probably go back to the portrait format.

But i posted it here to show the process i'm going through to get nowhere in particular... :)

I've decided to concept a good chunk of the circus characters on the red background... the clowns, ringmaster, lion tamer, contortionist, conjoined fire eaters (!!), stilt walker, acrobats etc. It'll be a great exercise for me (especially if i'm incorporating Painter into my workflow) and i'll end up with a nice set of images.

So, with the three month deadline, the plan is to draw up the circus performers over the next few weeks and start the final image at the start of October(I'll be reviewing my final compsition periodically though!)

Any feedback or crits most appreciated!

NOOB!
09-09-2005, 02:03 PM
yeh man ,nice idea,3 months will go by like a snap and b4 u know it,its gunna be christmas and u've missed the deadline lol

so i hope this gets done

duddlebug
09-09-2005, 02:06 PM
3 months will go by like a snap and b4 u know it,its gunna be christmas and u've missed the deadline

haha... yup yup... you're probably right. But i reckon two months will be enough for the final image. That gives three weeks for designing chacters, mucking about with the composition and having fun!

But i think you should remind me just how relaxed i was today, on the 1st December!! :p

duddlebug
09-09-2005, 03:43 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126276998_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126276998_large.jpg)

I was just looking at the rough composition during my tea break and tried flipping it in the horizontal. And now i think i prefer it this way around.

Although it'll still probably go portrait for my next update.

NathanielWest
09-09-2005, 03:51 PM
This is fantastic! I really love the circus theme. It has a Tim Burton quality to it, which is really nice. Keep going at it! I'll check in to see more! :thumbsup:

jbballaran
09-09-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure man. This landscape layout seems to be a lot more interesting since there's going to be a lot more stuff in it for the viewer to look at. I checked out your portrait layout again, and yeah, it suddenly looked claustrophobic... It suddenly looked so "boxed-in". I dunno know if that's such a good thing, coz I felt like I could carry the whole scene with one hand... You know? It suddenly doesnt look too heavy. Just a thought though.

Vectorius
09-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Yes you've done the good choice. I agree with you, i prefer this one too. The first did not give this feeling of depth which you succeeded in having with this one. That gives more facility to look at it, I find.:thumbsup:

andreasrocha
09-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Nice work, man. You've got a peculiar style. It certainly improved with the flip. It reads much more "confortably". The approaching from the left is friendlier.

Good luck, Jonny.

pushav
09-09-2005, 04:53 PM
The people don't look happy that the circus is coming to town. Maybe that is the lok that you are going for?

Keep up the good work.

NOOB!
09-09-2005, 05:38 PM
i liked it the way it was,but hey,everyone always flips the image.

i bet if u started with it like this,u wudda flipped it the other way,lol.seems like a cgtalk tradition.

duddlebug
09-09-2005, 06:04 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126285478_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126285478_large.jpg)

Yeh... i know... you've seen it before...

But i've tidied this one up a bit. It was a bit of a quick tidy but i reckon it's looking finished. And it does look different to the other two. Promise.

As i mentioned earlier, this is the first of a series of character concepts to help populate the final composition of the circus arriving in town.

duddlebug
09-09-2005, 06:07 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126285617_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126285617_large.jpg)

Just a close up...

As i said, i've been experimenting with Painter (and switching between Painter and Photoshop), so i wanted to show some of the brush marks that get lost on the whole image at this size.

NOOB!
09-09-2005, 06:09 PM
oooooooooooohhh excellent!!

KOryH
09-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Jeez! You have lots going on here. Keep it UP!

monsitj
09-09-2005, 07:29 PM
excellent choice of color! good work! do u decided to go with circus concept?

monsitj
09-09-2005, 07:35 PM
sorry , double post!

AndyH
09-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Damn, duddle - this is lookin fantastic! I really like the landscape take on your composition too. What sorta colours are you gonna use for the finished pic? Im getting a schindlers list vibe at the moment because of the kid being the only coloured character in the pic...

duddlebug
09-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Nathaniel West: Cheers! As i've said before, i'm a fan of Tim Burton (Edward Scissorhands is a favourite!) but hopefully one day people might say "it's got a Jonny Duddle style"! I'm glad you like stuff so far! And i couldn't resist the circus theme when 'spectacular' came up as a theme. It may be a bit cliched, but that's bacause it's so much fun!

ahbeejieh: I'm in tow minds about the landscape format. I think this does work better than the last version in portrait, but i think i'll carry on switching for a while!!

Fiolka Alexandre: Landscape seems popular! And i am listening... but i'm still not sure... hmmmm.

andreasrocha: I'm glad you preferred 'the flip'. I'm wondering whether it's a 'right-handed' vs 'left-handed' thing..?

pushav: haha... yup... that is kinda the look that i'm going for. Although thier will be smiles in the finished piece, i'm certainly after a drabness...

NOOB!: Ha... flipping the image willy-nilly is a luxury of digital art! I just prefer it this way. But maybe you're right and if i'd drawn it the other way and flipped it i'd prefer it the other way! The grass is always greener. ;)

KOryH: Cheers! A challenge is always a good incentive to get stuff done!! It's fired me up f'sure!!

monsitj: I'm very decided on the circus theme. like i nsaid, it's a bit of a cliche but you can't say it's not spectacular!

Andy H: Thanks Andy! I'm planning on keeping all the townsfolk and buldings subdued and pretty monotone, whilst i'm gonna get the whole circus more colourful! It'll take a bit of working out, but that's the general idea! I'm hoping for a terraced streets and chimneys background. It might be a bit northern and british and may get lost on some CGtalkers from other countries and cultures, but it's fun and particularly personal to me. I'm from Preston, Wales and Manchester! What can i say!?

birdybear
09-10-2005, 08:20 PM
duddlebug: best of luck with this entry. Love your work and all your previous entries!

paperclip
09-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Yea Jonny, I say go with the circus coming down the road, that one is much more punchy and dynamic, they will look cool with fantastic colors amongst all that gray dreariness of the town...

I thought of a name-- Cyrk Makaber.... it's an idea anyway! (or cyrk mamothika)

BaronImpossible
09-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Creepy but good. Hope you keep the deep red in the final image. Great stuff.

flyingP
09-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Great stuff as usual :thumbsup:

beelow
09-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Good sketch and interesting theme to this, good duddlebug!:thumbsup:

Kyena
09-11-2005, 11:00 AM
awesome angle and those characters just have such a cool feel to them.
The concept of the circus thingiemajings is spot on. Specially the colors will work perfect with the overall feel of your characters.

Damn - a lot of carneval going on huh? :D

Vahn
09-11-2005, 11:07 AM
hehe cool design :thumbsup: not sure about the flip ... check it right after waking up with your morning coffee/tea in hand ... you have a good feeling then. for me the other reads better :D

Korline
09-11-2005, 11:29 AM
moja kolexzanka tam mieszka, sorry ale mam dosyc jest 3 w nocy
a Opania dalej uczy

duddlebug
09-11-2005, 05:53 PM
moja kolexzanka tam mieszka, sorry ale mam dosyc jest 3 w nocy
a Opania dalej uczy

um...? Sorry Korline, but i don't understand!!

birdybear: Thanks Crystal! And good luck for your entry! I'll pop by when you've posted something... i hope we won't have to wait too long?

paperclip: Hi Theresa. I'm 100% going with the circus arriving in town, and i'm glad you like the idea of a grim town as the backdrop. The other image, with the big puppets, is just character concepts for the main image! Are the circus names completely made up? Or are they real words? I'll add them to my list of 'maybes'!

Baron Impossible: Cheers Simon... I'm going with the procession for the final iamge, but have been thinking about some deep red smoke around the arriving circus.

flyingP: Hey Brian! Thanks! Are you joining in this time..?

beelow: Thanks... i think the circus theme is a fairly obvious reaction to the word 'spectacular', but i'm hoping to add some originality with my approach to the circus and the town. Hopefully it'll work out...

Kyena: Thanks Natascha! There's a few carnivals and circuses about (they suit the theme so well!)... but i'm sure they'll all be approached very differently. Good luck with your entry!

Vahn: Ta... and i'm gonna keep the flip under review!

AlyFell
09-12-2005, 08:57 AM
C'mon Mr Duddlebug! It's Monday, it's 8.55 and I want more carnival/circus goodness! Are there going to be sinister spooky clowns in the parade? How about a Harlequin character? :)

duddlebug
09-12-2005, 09:21 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126513273_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126513273_large.jpg)

Just thought i'd canvas opinion and see what peeps prefer. So i've put the two images next to each other. I think i know which one i prefer...

There's also a couple of Portrait versions soon!

xric7
09-12-2005, 09:26 AM
interesting idea and great sketch!:thumbsup:
good luck.

Elsie
09-12-2005, 09:29 AM
It looks good either way, but it looks more like it's coming out of the frame when it's flipped. Or maybe that's just because its a new perpective...Coming along nicely anyway ^_^ Look forward to seeing the next update.

duddlebug
09-12-2005, 09:31 AM
C'mon Mr Duddlebug! It's Monday, it's 8.55 and I want more carnival/circus goodness! Are there going to be sinister spooky clowns in the parade? How about a Harlequin character? :)

Monday 8.55!? And that's why there's nothing new! I get nothing done at weekends with 'other work', DiY, nappy changing and vsiting folk!

There'll be a clown design coming in the next day or two! And he'll have an enormous tuba!! Oh yeh!

duddlebug
09-12-2005, 09:34 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126514070_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126514070_large.jpg)

And a modified portrait version... with a bigger truck and circus...

duddlebug
09-12-2005, 09:35 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126514144_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1126514144_large.jpg)

And t'other way...?

flyingP
09-12-2005, 09:43 AM
number 2 :)

I do feel you need to break the mid ground up a bit though

MichaelZHsee
09-12-2005, 09:44 AM
whoa~tough choice~but i think i prefer landscape as it didnt give too much space on the upper portion of the pic.as for flipping or not..i dont know why but my feeling tells me that i like it flipped:)keep it going johny~

newcenturydsn
09-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Crazy S**t Jonny! I love your style, so consistent and all your own I don't think I've seen anything like what I've seen you produce.

What are your influences if you don't mind me asking?

Ducklator
09-13-2005, 12:33 AM
wow, great new update... keep it up!:thumbsup:

Gloklund
09-13-2005, 12:53 AM
Awesome idea Mr. Bug! I am quite fond of the vertical format, version number 2. I can't wait to see your progress on this, I love the idea. Good Luck!

WesleyTack
09-13-2005, 01:30 AM
No. 2 would be my fav.

flyingP
09-13-2005, 01:42 AM
flyingP: Hey Brian! Thanks! Are you joining in this time..?

not this time, no :)

element5
09-13-2005, 02:19 AM
Hello Jonny,

Great image, I see a nice Tim Burton movie in this one :)

I will have to hang around and watch this one...

E5

beelow
09-13-2005, 03:22 AM
I think that because it is new and different, for some odd reason, I like the second!

Arc80
09-13-2005, 03:38 AM
Definately the flip version. For some weird reason, the focal point is much interesting to read with the flip version than the original one. Keep going mate. It's looking really nice and somehow it reminds me of Howl's moving castle :thumbsup:

cheers

Korline
09-13-2005, 03:58 AM
Sorry about this, that was meant for somebody else, I was writing an email, had to mix it up somehow, it was 3 in the morning,
anyway love your pic, really like the way you draw, have fun, :)

Korline
09-13-2005, 04:00 AM
like portrait, better

duddlebug
09-13-2005, 08:48 AM
flyingP: Cool. I didn't actually say, because i wanted some unbiased opinion, but i prefer the second portrait version. SO i'm chuffed a lot of people preferred the second 'flipped' version. hope you join in the next one... we'll miss ya... :)

sh@ke: Would you prefer the portrait version if there wasn't so much 'dead space' in the top? I'll probably play around with that space if i go with this image. When i look at the landscape version now it seems too vertically claustrophobic...

newcenturydsn: Thanks! I get frustrated that i haven't got a 'style' sorted... not one that i'm happy with anyway. So it's nice to get positive feedback about where i'm heading stylistically. I dunno about influences. I think it's probably a mish-mash of all sorts of influences and not any particular artists. A short list of influences in vague order from childhood onwards (almost an autobiography!) would include Eric Carle, Maurice Sendak, Dr.Seuss, The Magic Roundabout, Beano, Dandy, The Muppets, Terry Gilliam (Time BAndits was the first film i remember seeing at the cinema!), Asterix, Wacky Races, HKPhooey, Trapdoor, 2000AD, Tim Burton, Jeunet et Caro (The City of Lost Children is visually incredible! And now i think of it, there's a few direct influences appearing here! I've not seen it for years but i might watch it again this week! Delicatessen and Amelie are great too), Vaughn Bode, Norman Rockwell, Arthur Rackham, Edmund Dulac, W.Heath Robinson, Pixar. There'd be more, but that's a few favourites of mine from over the years. Sorry to waffle!

Ducklator: Thanks!

Gloklund: Cheers... that one's my choice too! Yippeee!

simon.wt: :)

element5: Thanks... and i'd be quite happy to discuss the rights if he gives me a call. Hahaha! ;)

Arc80: Yup... i agree. I don't know why it loks so much better to me... Myabe it's to do with the way i draw, all to tit and boswonk. Ho hum. I've heard 'Howl's Moving CAstle' mentioned on a few diffreent threads. I haven't seen it but might chase it up... it seems to be a favourite.

Korline: HAha... no worries. It just confused me for a minute. Not a terribly difficult thing to do! Thanks!

Well, No.02 in Portrait seems to be the top choice, and it was secretly my pick of the bunch, so i'll probably plump for that one. I'm gonna do some more character concepts this week, but i've got some other stuff that needs doing, so i might be a little slower than last week. Thanks for all the interest so far!

SigFire
09-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Very cool concept I like where this is going.
Very cool. I'll keep poping back here to see how it goes.

I really need to get cracking. I havent even decided if Im doing 2D or 3D yet.

SLUCT
09-13-2005, 11:40 AM
hi duddlebug,
gogogo :bounce:
me would prefer the flipped one.
most viewers watching a piece from left to right (like reading).
for example, didnt, realized the bear in cage at first look on the original one.
n i dont know why, got the feeling that in the orig. version the circus is a lil bit
tilting, in the flipped not.
in rendering stage it´ll be a lot of fun. keep it going. :wip:

NinjaA55N
09-13-2005, 01:04 PM
the flipped one works better for me. After all, most of ppl read from left to right and thats the way we read the pictures as well. so the circus should travel from left direction and coming into the main scene. It also looks more balanced. And I really like the progress u've done while I was away. nice job and keep up with the good work!

jbballaran
09-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Watsup duddlebug? I agree with the viewers reading a scene from the left to right thing. You dont want your viewers seeing and getting lost with the crazy things happening with the circus behind the lil' guy first, coz you might lose the idea that he's the one leading the circus. I think the lil'-guy-at-the-bottom-left-of-the-screen flip will make it seem like the circus is coming towards you, in contrast to the other flip, wherein it seems like it's going away already.

CG-AvangarD
09-14-2005, 03:24 PM
the sketch looks awesome ....great concept ...really looking forward 2 c the final result ..carry on!!!

FrozZT
09-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Hi! You've got one of the best concepts in the challenge so far.. ;)

BluePulse
09-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Fantabulous! This looks to be a really fun piece. Good luck to you!:thumbsup:

elnady
09-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Nice work man

keep it up:)

W-I-L
09-14-2005, 03:56 PM
that last one is really good.... can't wait to see this developing more

LadyMedusa
09-14-2005, 04:00 PM
I prefer the portrait vertion. It makes it look like a bigger and more spectaculas event.

Hope to see more updates soon :)

Slav
09-14-2005, 05:46 PM
i so very much admire your work. not much to say about your image but i will stress one thing.

updates !!! more updates!

Donsam
09-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Interesting,, I specially like the composition:) good going dude!

duddlebug
09-15-2005, 09:36 AM
SigFire: Cheers! There's plenty of time to get going! It's a three month challenge! Good luck!

comaone: Thanks! Yup... like i said before, i prefer flipped. There'll be a bunch of other stuff making it into this compostion as i design up characters. And it looks wonky to me in both images. I might have to do some tweaking of the main angles and shapes, but without losing the 'quirky' perspective!

NinjaASSN: Cheers Blaz! Another vote for 'flip' makes me happy! :)

ahbeejieh: Thanks for the comments! I think i'm going with the boy in the bottom right. There's arguments for both when yu consider we read left to right. Do i want to see the boy first? Because he's at the front of the parade and he's the focal point of the circus? Or do i want the eye to flow across the circus and finish up on the boy? There's benefits and drawbacks to both, but at the moment it seems to work both ways, so i'm gonna aim to use the boy bottom right but can flip it as i go along and keep it under review! Ahhh... the benefits of digital!!

CG-AvangarD, FrozZT, BluePulse, Ahmed Hosny, W!L: Thanks! I hope the final image doesn't disappoint!

Lady Medusa: I agree! The portrait version can accommodate the height of the circus and i can exaggerate that more than in the landscape!

Slav: Updates coming soon! I've been busy on some other stuff this week... I'm hoping to get some character drawing posted today or tomorrow...

Donsam: Thankyou! Hope i keep you interested... :)

As i mentioned... More updates to come today or tomorrow, but i've had to slack off this week because i've had a bunch of other stuff to get done. Plenty of time left though, and i'm gonna finish this one. And that's a promise!

MichaelZHsee
09-15-2005, 09:56 AM
it took me awhile to make the choice as both the format looks simultaneously good~:scream:yeah,keep playing with it.i'll be watching closely on the progress:)

Zephyri
09-15-2005, 10:00 AM
This is coming on great jonny! I looked at all of the options on your challenge page, and after a few minutes, I closed my eyes and just looked at which one grabbed my attention most, and it's definitely the last one, the shapes seem to work better flipped this way, and the portrait format seems to make everything grander. My two cents, anyhow.

And did you just say you don't have a style...? *looks incredulous* Ai, man, you have one of the most unique and recognisable styles on this website! Hell, you want to see an artist who hasn't settled on style, you should see my deviant site... I really love your style!

duddlebug
09-16-2005, 08:06 AM
sh@ke: yeh... i'm gonna keep fiddling. I'm hoping to get a lot more done on this next week!

Zepyhri: Thanks Sam... glad you prefer the last one! And regarding style, i just get a little frustrated that i don't have more time for my own work and really exploring where i want my 'style' to be. I'd say that in the last eighteen months, i've pretty much relied on CGtalk challenges for getting personal work done! Painter IX is the next step... i bought a copy a couple of weeks ago and i'm fiddling with brushes (there's so many!?) to try and find a more natural media 'look' i've got in mind!

calisto-lynn
09-16-2005, 09:30 AM
so dark!! looks great!:applause:

BaronImpossible
09-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Wonderful, you've created a little corner of a macabre yet believable world. Looking forward to seeing some colours in there (though maybe not too bright!)

p4b10
09-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Good luck with your entry, i really love your character designs. Please post more!

pablo

Luter
09-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Hello johny !

Nice to see you here, nice to see your work with all these so nice characters, this particular mood...
Well, I think this challenge will be fun, and a little bit...hard...spectacular theme is like a liitle trap it seems..:)
see you soon.
luter

2xbo
09-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Hi duddlebug. I'm going to enjoy your Work. Looks pretty good. I love the Idea and your Characters have a good sad feeling. :thumbsup:

Keep it up.

Good luck.
xbo :scream:

kboss
09-19-2005, 11:58 AM
I generally like your stuff mate. This is no exception. Reminds me of that game; Grim Fandango. I especially like the skewed angle. Looking good.

elmasfeo
09-19-2005, 01:59 PM
great! I love your style... we're waiting for updates :D

This one's going to be...mmm...what was the word....oh, yep, Spectacular!

MVDB
09-20-2005, 11:37 AM
I know it's irrelevant to say, but you've got skill! Great style!
I'll be lurking.. :thumbsup:

duddlebug
09-21-2005, 01:52 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1127307159_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1127307159_large.jpg)

I've been very quiet on this thread over the last week, but i've been a bit busy with other stuff and then had a spot of tummy bother that laid me up for a couple of days... but i am still here... and still thinking about the 'spectacular'...

I've done various bits and bobs of sketches and i'm thinking as much about the 'style' of my piece as anything else. Here's some clown doodles. (Very very quick and sketched direct into photoshop!) More to come...

AndyH
09-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Woo! Aceness! Great character designs there johnny!

The one at the bottom right is my fave - i love the simplicity of his head shape.

Elsie
09-21-2005, 02:00 PM
I love those clowns there Johnny. I don't know why, but I just start laughing whenever I look at them - something about that expression. Priceless. :D I agree with Andy H, bottom right.

This is definitely one of the threads I'm following most closely, the mood in it is just so dead on (just realised how much I sounded like some sort of hippie there). Look forward to the next update.

kboss
09-21-2005, 02:12 PM
The ones on the right rule. 'specially the one top right, looks like he's forgotten his false teeth. Makes me giggle. Top stuff.

sirBS
09-21-2005, 04:14 PM
:thumbsup:
Duddlebug, i very much like your characters!

duddlebug
09-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Didn't have time before... but thought i'd sneak some replies into a tea break!

calisto: Linda... it won't be quite so dark visually in the final piece, but even with some vibrant spectacular colours, i'm hoping to keep it dark in mood.

Baron Impossible: Cheers Simon... i'm a bit busy with 'stuff and things' at the moment, but i'm hoping to get some charcater concepts done over the next week or so. The colour on this image will come later! Still 74 days to go!

Luter: Yup... i think 'Spectacular' is much more difficult than it first appears...

p4b10, 2xbo, kboss, elmasfeo, MichaelMotion: Cheers!

Andy H: Ta ANdy... Bottom right would be my favourite too!

Elsie: Thansk Elsie, Clowns are fun aren't they? I'm gonna have more fun with them before i settle on one, but the bottom right is the direction i'll be heading. Although he'll be aside a tiny tricycle and have a huge tuba wrapped around his shoulders!

kboss: "looks like he's forgotten his false teeth"... hahaha! Now that is a good idea!

Sergey: ta! More coming soon!

Zephyri
09-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Looking through the thumbs onthe entries page, I knew this one was yours even without reading the name! Lovely characters, I love the one in the middle best, it has this ugly old woman feel to it that really makes me giggle. And the one bottom left reminds me of the character from the Superman Lover's music video with the potato-headed guy and the mouse with the disturbingly dangly nose. Can't wait to see you get started on this Jonny. :bounce:

2xbo
09-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Hi duddlebug. I'm agree with the others guys. Bottom right or that Mom in the middle. Looks great those one. I'll like to see more about the small kid. I think that kid give you Spirit to your scene. :D Work on your Kid.

Nice work.

xbo :scream:

rongen
09-22-2005, 02:30 AM
..just subscribing.. Your ideas and style are fantastic.

duddlebug
09-22-2005, 01:44 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1127393055_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1127393055_large.jpg)

Just a progression of the clown sketches i posted yesterday.

This fella is the preliminary design for one of the clowns cycling along behind the kid on the tricycle.

I might colour this one up...

AndyH
09-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Damn, thats ace! I love his tiny feet and creepy fingers.
When are you gonna start drawing the final thing? I know we have 70-odd days left, but ill slap you if this doesnt get finished in time :scream:

MoonVisionStudio
09-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Great Character!

MattDixon
09-22-2005, 01:59 PM
He's great, JD! He looks all sad and glum, but I'm imagining the squeak of his trike wheels being accompanied by a rousing version of Herb Alpert's 'Spanish Flea' honking out of his tuba!

duddlebug
09-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Haha, Matt. I'm not sure it'd be particularly 'rousing'... maybe a little melancholy and out of tune..?

Jose Pardo: Cheers... and only another twenty or so charcaters to design!

Andy H: Chill out, dude! I'm gonna finish this one! Honest! :p

rongen: Thanks for siubsrcibing... hope i keep you entertained!

2xbo: tried to go with the bottom right fella from the last sketch... hope you like it! The little kid ain't going anywhere!! He might even appear in the colour study of this clown..?

Zepyhri: Thanks Sam! Didn't go with the middle one, but i hope you like this fella...

I'm off to Scotland for the weekend so i won't be updating until next week sometime. There'll be more character concepts coming then!

Rudeone
09-22-2005, 02:41 PM
hahahahahaha that's one cool looking clown man! awesome :beer:

Overchord
09-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Lovely work as usual :thumbsup: - hope you're fully recouperated now!

Have you gotten anywhere with the crowd around the cirucs yet? Obviosuly the characters in the circus are progressing really well, so jsut wondering :)

MattDixon
09-22-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure it'd be particularly 'rousing'... maybe a little melancholy and out of tune..?Fair enough. 'Stranger on the Shore' then. I think a tuba would do that ditty better justice than a clarinet anyway. You'll have to give the clown a bowler hat, though.

And a little beardy.

duddlebug
09-23-2005, 09:20 AM
Fair enough. 'Stranger on the Shore' then. I think a tuba would do that ditty better justice than a clarinet anyway. You'll have to give the clown a bowler hat, though.

And a little beardy.

Bah! You keep suggesting songs i don't know! I think 'Spanish Flea' was perfect, if it was tuba'd out all boswonk...

And the clown's kinda got a bowler hat... albeit a stretched bowler hat. :)

Rudeone: Thanks!

Overchord: I'm recuperated! Me, Jane and baby Daisy had what you might call a 'vomit relay'. As soon as someone seemed to get better, someone would get sickly! I ran the final leg of course. :)

I've got a very clear image in my head of the crowd, inspired by a mixture of period photos of kids in cobbled british streets.

beelow
09-23-2005, 09:29 AM
Nice sketches, I will wait for the next update holla!:thumbsup:

duddlebug
09-23-2005, 02:05 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1127480723_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1127480723_large.jpg)

Here's a development from the clown sketch i did yesterday. I'm just playing around with the feel of the piece and thinking about character design. I'm kinda limited with the time i can invest in the challenge at the moment so drawings are confined to my lunch hour. So this was probably about an hour's work. Which ain't enough time for colour for me.

I might work this up into more of an illustration and add colours to the clown. Or i might just get on with another character design....

AndyH
09-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Looking good - i love the dog and the kids on the right of the shot, but the clown looks more like an ugly fat dog or sometihng now. I dunno why.... I cant really make out his mouth or facial features other than the eyes. It looked much clearer in the pencil sketch you did earlier

AlyFell
09-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Oooh! He's a cheerful fellow. It looks like the notes are falling like rain upon the merry crew observing his antics. Lovely work Jonny. Your art is a window into a timeless world; a world of 'time-for-tea', 'would-you-like-another-muffin', 'eh-oop-chuck' and 'would-you-like-gravy-all-over-that-love?' I smile, with a melancholy tear resting at the corner of my eye...

stefan
09-23-2005, 02:38 PM
it is soooo nice.

duddlebug
09-23-2005, 02:39 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1127482770_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1127482770_large.jpg)

Okay... teehee... especially for Andy...

Here's the same sketch with the face from yesterday and some text.

Just having fun.

:)

duddlebug
09-23-2005, 02:45 PM
I smile, with a melancholy tear resting at the corner of my eye...

But you always have melancholy tear resting at the corner of your eye... don't you?

What you need, my good man, is another muffin!

AndyH
09-23-2005, 02:46 PM
YEeeeeeaaa! Thats muchos betross :thumbsup:

Its much easier to read his face now.

MoonVisionStudio
09-23-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm lovin the dog, not even botherin to look up!

Tyrus88
09-23-2005, 03:17 PM
Your style is so fantastic, love it! Want to see more!:)

duddlebug
09-23-2005, 03:26 PM
stefan, Tyrus_88: Thanks!

Jose Pardo: haha... everyone knows that dogs have no interest in clowns. No matter how musical or melancholy! Unless they're trying to deliver a letter or have a squeaky toy. :)

Andy H: Phew... glad i've kept you happy. I'll pop by your 3D thread today and request some changes. Hahaha. ;)

duddlebug
09-23-2005, 05:37 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1127493446_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/7812/7812_1127493446_large.jpg)

Just a few tweaks to the tonal layer and i used some 'proper' musical notes.

This piece has really sparked off some ideas...

zpapageo
09-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Great Characters! The poor dog looks so downtrodden.