PDA

View Full Version : First Matte Painting

Pixelcritter
09-05-2005, 06:53 AM
Well guys,

I have decided to attempt my very first matte painting.

To start off I just took this really quick (and quite crappy) sketch I did of a landscape on my free time as the basis for the matte painting. I've already been working on it for a few hours so I'll post the steps I've gone through thus far. (Theres 6 I think, too lazy to count that high :P)

F.Y.I. all the images I'm using in the matte painting are all taken by me on the few vacations I've acutally had.

umbrellasky
09-05-2005, 02:56 PM
wow looking good so far, keep it going!

Pixelcritter
09-05-2005, 05:52 PM
added more mountains and tweaked a few things here and there.

Pixelcritter
09-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Another update. Feel free to give some feedback. :)

umbrellasky
09-05-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm no expert on Matte Painting but this is looking fantastic! I don't no what I can crit right now, just keep it going! :)

Pixelcritter
09-06-2005, 12:53 AM
thx enialadam, seems you're the only one who has anything to say. I dunno if that's a good thing or not.

Anyway, here's another update http://www.bzassociates.ca/3nvision/portfolio/cg/step-10.jpg

williamwonka
09-06-2005, 01:06 AM
Fine start. Just keep going. It's hard to "critique" right now because it's still difficult to see the forms of the landscape.

Pixelcritter
09-06-2005, 01:33 AM
So are you saying it's not clear enough?

Pixelcritter
09-06-2005, 02:14 AM
Well the original sketch is entirely covered. Now I'll start tweaking some things and adding more details in places.

Still Looking for some feedback.
http://www.bzassociates.ca/3nvision/portfolio/cg/step-13.jpg

Euphrosyne
09-06-2005, 06:24 AM
The overall atmosphere is really cool, however you need to tweek some things and get rid of some of the obvious repeating patterns, it is not convencing to see the same mountain or pools of water over and over again in a painting. Varing the size alone is not enough. I hope this helps. The overall impression is quite nice though.

Helgi
09-06-2005, 11:21 AM
This looks really nice though there are some minor glitches and some of the perspective is a bit off. I also agree with Euphrosyne that you have to get rid of some of the repeating pools and mountains. The mountain in the top left corner is maybe a bit too saturated, you might also try to add something to brake up the rock/mountain/trees theme like a small boat in the middle of the valley or a small hut on the beach :)

But this is coming along very nicely for your first matte, I like it :)

Pixelcritter
09-10-2005, 03:59 AM
Ok I havent touched this for a while but I'm workin on it again. Right now I'm just concentrating on removing some repeating elements.

(I removed a bunch of the previous images becuase I'm runnin out of webspace)

http://www.bzassociates.ca/3nvision/portfolio/cg/step-14.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2005, 03:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.