acacia
09-05-2005, 06:52 AM
Here's a link to my animation demo reel http://www.3dsig.com/3d/index.html

I welcome all critiques.

Thank you,
Acacia

acacia
09-09-2005, 12:07 PM
I have just updated my website to include Quick Time format to display my reel. I want to apologize to all the MAC users that have been hitting my site and were unable to view my demo reel. Computer issues were delaying me in getting this to you but, alas, here it is...

Please give it a moment to load......

http://www.3dsig.com/3d/index.html

I look forward to all of your critiques!

acacia
09-23-2005, 04:57 AM
My site was down for a while so I thought I would repost this. I have gotten a ton of hits to my demo and I want to thank all of you for viewing it but I would love some critiques. I am primarily intersted in critiques of the animations.

Please note that you the demo reel requires Quick Time 7 or you can download the WMF.

Thanks again for viewing and I look forward to your critiques!

Geese Howard
09-25-2005, 12:20 AM
I think it's not bad, is it your 1st demo reel?
I might've re-arranged the order from your strong stuff to the less strong stuff. Also I could tell you tried to cover many diff styles within one demo. The pieces i liked would probably be the martial-arts knight, and the dude that's in jail. Besides squash/stretch, i'm not sure what the 1st piece was really about. The jail piece i liked because it looked like u spent alot of time tweakin curves, timing is smooth.

acacia
09-25-2005, 02:28 AM
Hello Geese,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Yes this is my first demo. Does it show that much? I did try to cover different styles in one demo. I wanted to show that I could be versitile.

Ironically, I spent the least amount of time on the "jail piece" aka loony bin. I think the smoothness can be attributed to a pretty good rig. The rest of the rigs, except for the characters in the South Park scene, were done by fellow students. Some were good and some were quite a challege to work with. You are correct that the character jumping on the bed was all about the squash and stretch and to show off the rig made by a fellow student.

I wouldn't mind if you told me what you thought could be improved.

Again thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated!!

amannin
09-25-2005, 03:46 AM
Okay, now for the breakdown:

Your demo reel should start out indicating what position you are applying for, i.e. character animation -- so that a potential employer will know what exactly you are showing them, and obviously, which position you interested in.

Also, keep your demo reel as just one subject, meaning, cut out the 2D traditional art, and make it its own demo reel. *If I was an employer, I wouldn't want to see anything non-related to the position you were applying for*

Neg/Pos Crits:

Your blue character seems to definitely have a looseness to him, but an unrealistic jiggle. His walk cycle seems more focused on jiggle than anything else, so maybe rework it to emphasize a loose, flowing walk, with little (hardly noticable) jiggle IMO.

Your second character seems much better. Better sense of weight and timing. A couple parts don't quite have a sense of tension/weight, i.e. when he breaks the bench and gets back up, it seems he gets up effortlessly (just sort of pops up)

The generi characters have pretty good lip sync -- though, the one w/ carmens voice, his bottom lip seems a little weird, maybe pulled too far -- other wise good

Umm, the frog/low poly woman, seem kind of pointless (they don't really show anything new) --- well, the frog would be something new, cos it shows a different style character, but the girl is not needed -- and isn't as convincing as some of your others. *maybe do something else with her???* -- [the hand gesture seems awkward]

however, the frog seem pretty decent...

and the "crazy" character at the end, was pretty good, no crit here.

So I'd say your strongest charcters were "crazy" guy, the generi's, and the fighting character. So maybe re-work your reel around them... Also, if you fix the over-jiggleness of the blue character, and maybe emphasize a certain style to his walk and movement, that could also be a strong point for your demo reel.

---I don't mean to sound all negative, but I'm just pointing out everything that I think could help you when it comes to applying for a job.

ALSO, here's a couple good sites of some awesome character animators, for some inspiration maybe -- if not, just cool to watch.

http://www.jaganimations.com/jaganimationscom.html

http://www.jimjagger.com/JPages/JLinks/Inspirational_Animators.htm?page=1

***again, I hope you find these crits useful not aggravating -- after all, they are just my opinions...

goodluck

acacia
09-25-2005, 08:17 AM
amannin,

Not aggrevating at all. It took a few reposts to get any critiques at all so I'm very greatful that I'm finally getting feedback. As a matter of a fact this is the kind of critique I was looking for. Critiques from people in the industry with an eye for detail. I don't just want to hear what's good. Although it would be nice to hear what's good about it too ;). So thank you very much for your opinions. They are very helpful.

In school we were told that the industry doesn't just look for people that can learn the software and but those who also have an artistic background barring that they are talented in the position they are applying for. Do you think this is so? Does the 2d work hurt my demo and chances of stepping foot into the industry more than it helps?

Thanks again for your comments. Keep the critiques coming!

Heber
09-25-2005, 09:23 AM
hi,
i think its fine having 2d on your reel but i think you can cut it down a bit. The idea of it should be as "supplementary material" not the highlight of an animation reel for sure. As for critiques i think there are several things that stood out to me and im sure any pro animator looking at this would catch even more things.
First scene the talking with no lips there to animate just feels strange to me, i do like when he gets stuck in the lamp though that was good.
South park scene when the purple guys laughs his head pops uncontrollably...
The frog scene was ok until the female model smiles, that blendshape has to go ....
I do like some of the paintings and i wish you had shown them all in full screen instead of paning around and zooming in/out was kind of distracting to me.
Anyhow I hope you can fix some of those things that stood out and by doing so bring the quality up.
Best of luck

acacia
09-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the Feedback Herber!!

The giggle/talking was my instructor's idea. He suggested having a kid giggling while jumping on the bed. So I got some audio of a kid jumping on the bed and modified it to work with the reel. SInce the character had no real mouth to speak of...I had to add it without lip movement. :( I know it looks wierd and people seem to not take to it well. But I think the giggle helps add to the "fun" of jumping on the bed. As you can see, I'm torn about the audio.

With the artwork movement, that's the Ken Burns effect. Also recommended by the instructor. Helps keep the still images interesting to look at. YOu can check them out on my site though at http://www.3dsig.com/2dt/index.html and they don't move there ;).

I agree about the blend shape. I needed another character to have interaction and she was all I was able to get my hands on at the time.

Oh and I took a look at your site... NICE WORK!!

Keep the critiques coming!!!

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2005, 01:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.