PDA

View Full Version : Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 003

Rebeccak
09-05-2005, 06:45 AM
NOW OPEN!!! OPEN FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOP 003!!!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/rebeccak4/Open%20Figure%20Drawing%20Workshop/Hong-Ly-Announcement.jpg

Welcome to the THIRD thread of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop!!! I am truly excited about this, and am very grateful to good friend and old Art Center chum Hong Ly, with whom I spent many hours in the Open Figure Drawing Workshops from 6:45 - 9:00 pm back in our art school days.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/rebeccak4/Open%20Figure%20Drawing%20Workshop/hong_work.jpg

I had the idea for this thread, but was unsure how to procure decent photographs ~ but, having reconnected with Hong in LA during SIGGRAPH after many years, I discovered that he was an accomplished photographer who already had taken model reference photos for use on his website, dedicated to Character Art and Design, at which Hong is an accomplished professional. It is lucky for us here at CGTalk that Hong has agreed to be a part of this community and to allow us to use his photographs as model reference. Thank you very much, Hong! :)

>>RULES FOR THE THREADS<<

1. Photographs are the property of Hong Ly and are copyrighted as such.

2. Photographs are NOT to be used for ANY other purpose apart from Figurative Drawing Reference for this thread on CGTalk.

3. The drawings created from the photo reference provided here MUST be TASTEFUL, SINCERE, RESPECTFUL, and for the purpose of serious study of the human figure. Those who post silly, disrespectful, or tasteless work will have their posts deleted immediately
and will no longer be allowed to post on this thread. Hong Ly, Rebecca Kimmel, and Roberto Ortiz reserve the right to determine which drawings are considered to be in poor taste and / or disrespectful to the model/s, who have generously agreed to allow their images to be used on the condition that they be used for the tasteful and serious study of Figurative Art only.

4. There is NO TIME LIMIT for posting on this thread.

5. New threads containing new photographs will be posted on a bi-weekly basis, depending on the number of photographs available.

6. There is NO LIMIT to the NUMBER of posts an artist may make. However, we ask that you post only your BEST WORK, even if it is considered unfinished.

7. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this and other threads.

8. Hong Ly has generously offered his time to critique work on occasion; however, with a full-time job and a demanding schedule, he will not be able to answer everyone's requests for assistance. He has agreed, however, to stop by the threads when he has time to offer comments and critique. Hong is a great guy and incredibly generous ~ however, please respect his time. I will also be offering the occasional comments / critique ~ however, the main focus of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop threads should be on Group Critique and interaction. :)

9. ANY MEDIUM or STYLE may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing or Painting, Gestural, Sketch, Finished Render, etc.

10. EDIT: 3D Artists who wish to use the reference for 3D models are free to do so. I just ask that you post your work here as well as in any 3D forum in which you post your work.

11. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 600 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please!

12. Have fun, enjoy, and create great art! :)

LINKS to Photographs: WARNING: Nudity:

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 1. (http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20003/characterdesigns011.jpg)

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 2. (http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20003/characterdesigns010.jpg)

Good luck! :)

Hong's Website is Now Open! (http://characterdesigns.com/)
http://characterdesigns.com/

~Rebeccak and Hong Ly

Rebeccak
09-05-2005, 06:45 AM
Guys/Gals,

Remember that all Open Figure Drawing Workshops (OFDWs) remain OPEN on a continuous basis. However, my primary critiquing will be focused on the current and most recent OFDWs (so now OFDW 003 and 002 will receive most of my attention, though 001 remains open for posting indefinitely). I anticipate that most people will be moving on to the newest OFDW 003. Look forward to seeing your posts!

If you are new to the OFDW series, check out the great work that has been done in the recent past ~ I recommend starting from the end of the thread, as more finished work can be found there. :)

NOW OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 002 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=269454)

NOW OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 001 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=266229) (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=266229)

Rebeccak
09-05-2005, 06:46 AM
Space Reserved 2

Per-Anders
09-05-2005, 09:18 AM
oof, well that just prooved to me how badly i need to be joining in! ah well, more hours are needed in the day. thanks for setting this up!

an hour or so of painter

http://www.peranders.com/general/lifedrawing/lifedrawing001.jpg

veljko-lemonade
09-05-2005, 10:20 AM
here is a drawing made in photoshop with intuos drawing pad- about 30 mins to an hour to complete-
hope you like it!
please, take the time to click on the thumbnail to view the image in full size:)

oh yes, and if anyone knows how to post an image so that is not a thumbnail i would apritiate if he could pm me or something:)

veljko-lemonade
09-05-2005, 10:39 AM
just a quick comment to mdme_sadie
i find it best to draw rather then paint when i have a short time frame for a figure image- and concentrate on just one part of the figure- like the thorso. This gives you time to explore and understand the subject much better then when painting. Beside this the use of colour allso is a huge task which would call for more hours devoted to the image-
This offcourse is valid only if you are studying the human form- if its an art piece then anything goes!:)

warpy
09-05-2005, 03:59 PM
hey rebecca :)
started on it, will post here when i finish .. just wanted to say i realy like where this thing is going

i'd like to state i can clearly see all the scale and proportional problems, i want to say before you start pointing all the bad things that this is my first full body sketch, up until now all i did was head profiles, fronts, 3/4 but mostly profiles of my class mates. i have never taken an art class in my life. i started sketching on my own this year after doing 3d models.
i am how ever interested in shading advice, strokes, mass, volume :)
thanks in advance to rebecca and everyone else who comments on this.

p.s it took about 1 hour (i was watching some tv). its night and i snapshot this picture using my digital cam so thats why it looks so horribly yellow

http://static.flickr.com/28/40473478_8ec122fc5e_o.jpg

zhuzhu
09-05-2005, 04:44 PM
pencil on sketchbook

find some bugs when i finished this sketch, next one will be better...

http://usera.imagecave.com/zhuzhu/003figure01.jpg

Rebeccak
09-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Wow, already some really nice posts!!! :bounce:

mdme_sadie,

Great to see you here! Thank you for posting! :)

I like the blocky stroke approach, and the fact that the bkgrd is filled in with a darker tone. I would caution you not too go too light on the figure too soon, as you will run out of a proper range of values. You will be surprised at how dark even light skin can be in midtone and shadow areas ~ to see this, desaturate a copy of the reference photo (Ctrl + Shift + U in Photoshop) and you will see what I mean.

Keep going with this, I look forward to seeing your update! :)

veljko-lemonade,

Welcome to the Forum as well! Wow, this was done in Photoshop? You have achieved a lovely pencil or pen ~ quality sketch, and I think your style is lovely! :) Will you be working on the face / arm? I really would love to see where this goes! Please post updates! :)

warpyy,

Look forward to seeing your work! :)

zhuzhu,

Great to have you here! I really like the torso and arms, even if they are too skinny / narrow ~ but you really show good use of Opposing Curves here, which is great! Look forward to your update! :)

~~~

Cheers! :)

~Rebeccak

warpy
09-05-2005, 05:32 PM
omg, my work pales in comparison to that beautiful sketch.
maybe i should try to copy it ?

@zhuzhu what kind of pencil are you using and what kind of papers?

pushav
09-05-2005, 06:06 PM
wow a 003 workshop plus new cgtalk challenge. I will be busy for a while.

Rebeccak
09-05-2005, 06:07 PM
warpyy,

This sketch is not bad at all, in fact ~ I think it shows a lot of potential!!! You really have the torso done very nicely, and have definitely exhibited an understanding of Opposing Curves. While the legs are small, the torso is nicely proportioned, and the arms are an easy fix. When I get the chance I will do a drawover for you. Good work so far, and kudos for braving comparison to the zhuzhu ~ he is indeed very talented, but it is always good to have people with experience around to learn from. :)

One exercise which I always recommend to beginners at figure drawing is to trace the photograph ~ either traditionally or digitally ~ a few times to get the feel of proportions. Once that is done, then do another freehand sketch, and notice if you see a big improvement. :)

Good work so far, and if you feel like doing another drawing and posting it, please feel free to do so! :)

~Rebeccak

warpy
09-05-2005, 06:20 PM
This sketch is not bad at all, in fact ~ I think it shows a lot of potential!!! You really have the torso done very nicely, and have definitely exhibited an understanding of Opposing Curves.
thanks, i cant remember taking notice of opposing curves, it might have been a happy accident. i do remember opposing curves in your first anatomy study. i will try to work on them from now on.

One exercise which I always recommend to beginners at figure drawing is to trace the photograph ~ either traditionally or digitally ~ a few times to get the feel of proportions. Once that is done, then do another freehand sketch, and notice if you see a big improvement. :)
i tried tracing something a while ago. it was my first and last, i dont realy like tracing it feels like cheating. i enjoy so much freehand sketching and i dont feel like tracing. i also remember that the author of "drawing on the right side of your brain" said that tracing is a first stage but afterwards you should stop it and continue.. that is also one of the reason i feel like its going back.

never the less thanks for all the advice, its much appreciated.

veljko-lemonade
09-05-2005, 06:51 PM
here is the update of my work-
i think i will stop here with this one
what do you guys thing?
i started working on the face but somehow it just killed the composition and the image..too many small details in the face that break up the form and this effects the entire image imho
still im opened to suggestions
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b318/veljko-lemonade/nude_v004.jpg

p.s. thx a bunch rebeccak for explaing how to post the image which is not displayed as a thumbnail! :) :)

default-rol
09-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Can you tell I haven't drawn in a week? lol... (- As usual my "roughing out" of the image first, resulted in it spilling over the boundary of the paper... #*%$!!? :banghead: )

http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/7397/firstpencildrawing5iu.jpg

ZhuZhu's work stuns me into silence as usual...:D

Looking forward to some amazing work from everyone

MIKE

Rebeccak
09-05-2005, 07:04 PM
veljko-lemonade,

This is a really lovely sketch. :) However, having said that, I think that there are certain areas which are working better than others, and it's because of the concept of Opposing Curves.

I think the upper torso is working the best, because there is a lot of movement set up by the rhythmic opposition of the curves which you have employed in its drawing. The angle of the head also works well with this to create a feeling of movement and contrast between it and the upper torso.

Other areas of the figure are more static (and therefore a bit less interesting) because there is not as much movement happening there ~ for example, the right leg and arms both have relatively:

parallel () lines vs. offset curves...

such as you have used in the torso. Offset curves are always better, as they describe the organic nature of human form to a much better degree.

Check out this thread for an in~depth explanation of Opposing Curves ~ there is a demo at the beginning of the thread which explains what I mean:

(http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=255700) Anatomy Review 002: OPPOSING CURVES (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=255700)

Also, technique~wise, what is working best is the shading around the breasts and the general upper torso, as what you are doing there is following form. Predictably, where the shading is less successful is where it is not following form, such as in the legs and arms. It takes a lot of work to shade this way ~ hatch by hatch ~ but if done carefully and consistently, you will be really happy with your results.

Hope this helps! I think you have done a fabulous job so far, and I really look forward to seeing more work from you in these workshops! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

D4ng3rmouse
09-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Hey, thought id finally join in with one of these sketching sessions. Ive been watching the others as they have been going but just not had a chance to do anything. This is just an inital sketch just trying to make sure ive got proportions and stuff right. Sorry for the bad scan, i sketch very very lightly (perhaps too much so) and so i had to increase the contrast of the image so anything would show up :blush:. Im gonna continue with it a bit tonight, start doing some shading, although this is the part im have probs with most of the time so it will probably take me a while :arteest:. Anyway if anyone has any comments id love to hear them ta.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/Gandalf82/chracter_scan2.jpg

Rebeccak
09-05-2005, 07:19 PM
D4ng3rmouse,

I'm thrilled to see you posting work! :) Thank you for posting here. :)

I think your approach to this is very solid. It's great to put in the lay~in of the full figure first, and build from there. It can be useful to do this over and over again, for the same figure. I highly recommend doing so, in fact, as it builds confidence, and half of drawing is a confidence game.

I also recommend taking a sheet of paper and just drawing free~form, organic lines ~ don't worry about making anything realistic~looking, just create a series of nice, organic, free~form lines to loosen up your wrist and hand. This can be a helpful exercise before doing any drawing. :)

Her upper torso and left leg are looking really good ~ I particularly think that you have shown confidence with the drawing of the left leg, and it shows a really great use of Opposing Curves. We will work on feet and hands ~ what I recommend is to use this figure pose as an opportunity to do several small sketches of individual components ~ the head, the torso, the arms, the legs, the hands, and the feet ~ separately. This may seem like a daunting task, but I really think it would be a worthwhile exercise.

I propose that you draw the head ~ only ~ and draw this to fill about 3/4 a sheet of paper, and then post that. Or, alternately, drawing ONLY the torso (or body part of your choice) and posting that. :)

Good luck, and I look forward to your update! :)

~Rebeccak

warpy
09-05-2005, 07:47 PM
another update, this one is a little bit better, still some arm problems, and the leg is too small. the left foot is too small.
i am still too confused about the shading part.. lots more to learn.

http://static.flickr.com/23/40519189_c44c66b085_o.jpg

Rebeccak
09-05-2005, 08:02 PM
warpyy,

Thank you for reminding me about the Shading thing...working on a short tut... :)

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

warpy
09-05-2005, 08:05 PM
warpyy,

Thank you for reminding me about the Shading thing...working on a short tut... :)

~Rebeccak

much appreciated.

default-rol
09-05-2005, 08:14 PM
And the other one - I should really get around to shading my next lot... :scream:

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/1912/secondpencildrawing6qu.jpg

MIKE

PSR
09-05-2005, 08:22 PM
I can already see this is going to be good. Great start everyone.

veljko-lemonade. You can't leave her without a face, surely.There is a lot more room to increase the depth, and tonal range of this already lovely drawing. The shadow behind her near arm, and below her leg, for example. Afford a great opportunity, for echoing and counterbalancing that wonderful swathe of black hair. It is Photoshop after all, if you don't like it delete the layer.

Rebeccak
09-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Alright, Mike's back in action! But...where is AOAH?? :)

~Rebeccak

PSR
09-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Snap :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
09-05-2005, 08:31 PM
PSR,

Snap? :) As in, magic powers? You and AOAH must know each other. :)

~Rebeccak

warpy
09-05-2005, 08:31 PM
its definitely looking good, i realy enjoy seeing other styles than mine.
how come my neighbours grass is allways greener ? keep it coming ! :bounce:

Rebeccak
09-05-2005, 09:03 PM
For those of you who are interested in learning more about Traditional Shading techniques, I have posted a REALLY brief tutorial on the Anatomy Forum:

TUTORIAL - Shading Techniques (Various Media) - By Rebeccak (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2606261#post2606261)

I may add to it as I go along, or as people request things.

~Rebeccak

D4ng3rmouse
09-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Hey rebeccak, ta for the quick response. Ill have ago at what you said. Ive always found i hard to do things without planning which can make things seem a bit rigid but i just seem to get everything outta whack most of the time. I guess it comes of being more technically minded :shrug:as my teachers were always telling me. I think ill have ago at the head to begin with and if i get on well with that then the torso. Its all good practice for my major project for when i go back to uni anyway :). Ta again and ill try to put up an update as soon as pos.

Also just wanted to say that some of the other stuff thats been posted looks amazing. I have no idea how some of u guys produce work that fast and that looks that nice. I guess its all down to practice :).

warpy
09-05-2005, 09:19 PM
i guess its practice, and some of it is second nature.
but seriously my work is very novice, i looked at the body edges and kind of copied it. then interpeted the shading but it clearly isnt that good.

hmm.. :banghead:

Rebeccak
09-05-2005, 09:24 PM
D4ng3rmouse,

No problem! :) Yep, that's what these threads are here for...practice, and to motivate one another to get better. It's not a competition, it's inspiration...and I feel lucky to be part of a community outside of school where one's work in progress can be seen. Quite frequently, people don't create art once they are outside of school because their audience is gone ~ I think the CGTalk community is quite amazing for providing that audience which gives all of us encouragement to continue to practice creating art. :)

warpyy,

There is an old saying that it takes 10 years to learn how to draw, 7 if you're a genius. Not being a genius, it has taken me a good 10, and I still don't feel like I know what I'm doing! Really. It's practice. That's what we're here for, baby! :)

~Rebeccak

warpy
09-05-2005, 09:28 PM
@Rebecca

its true it takes a lot of time to learn, but i dont want to wait 10 years, or even 7 :)
i guess i like to learn about things fast ..
on the other hand time will clearly make sure i will mature my drawing skills the right way.

Rebeccak
09-05-2005, 10:34 PM
warppy,

Lol, well, I think the Internet is turning out to be an amazing tool for learning / teaching, but it still takes good old fashioned hard work to get there. ;)

Here is a trick you may know but which always helps me to simplify things when I draw / paint something complex, such as this figure: use the concept of Negative Space to draw ~ instead of drawing the figure, draw the Negative Space around the figure. Here is an example of Positive and Negative Space for this figure:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20003/003_Neg-Space_Ex_SET.jpg

This is a great exercise to try, and I highly recommend it. Hope this helps. :)

~Rebeccak

zhuzhu
09-06-2005, 02:50 AM
@zhuzhu what kind of pencil are you using and what kind of papers?

just common sketch pad, and i use two kind of pencils.the golden one is really good!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/zhuhaibo/Figure%20Drawing/sketchpad.jpg

pushav
09-06-2005, 03:33 AM
zhuzhu- What kind of pencils are those especially the gold one.
Is it a lead holder?

So you ar using a .05 pencil and leadholder.

warpy
09-06-2005, 04:45 AM
just common sketch pad, and i use two kind of pencils.the golden one is really good, made in Korea.

@zhuzhu - how long have you been sketching ?
the black one looks like a Pilot 0.5, i cant tell which is the Golden one and what kind of led it has. also are those 2B pencils i see in there ?
how did you get a black bally eraser like that.

@Rebecca
i am familiar with the concept of negetive space , it is one of those things i picked up on my
own and then after i saw the "drawing on the right side of the brain" i knew how to name it :). for all of those newbies like me around here, the idea is to block in the big shapes and then after the basic shape is there you can add smaller details and work on all the positive space curves shading etc..

drawMonger
09-06-2005, 07:04 AM
here's my attempt...the edges are a bit dodgy...i messed up the background and tried to fix it with a fill.

http://picserver.org/view_image.php/G5G85V8T3BP9

zhuzhu
09-06-2005, 07:08 AM
@zhuzhu - how long have you been sketching ?
the black one looks like a Pilot 0.5, i cant tell which is the Golden one and what kind of led it has. also are those 2B pencils i see in there ?
how did you get a black bally eraser like that.

do you mean how long that i have start learn drawing? since high school, in 1990, almost 15 years ago. if you ask me how long that i finish that sketch, about 1 hour.

it seem you and pushav are interested in which pencil what i used. the balck one is 0.7mm HB pencil.i always used it for details. the golden one just like holder, you can choice different "stick". about that "balck eraser", it was waxiness eraser, but dirty already~~~:)

i think the tools choice is not very important thing, pay attention to the basic of drawing, that's the point.

warpy
09-06-2005, 07:12 AM
do you mean how long that i have start learn drawing? since high school, in 1990, almost 15 years ago. if you ask me how long that i finish that sketch, about 1 hour.

it seem you and pushav are interested in which pencil what i used. the balck one is 0.7mm HB pencil.i always used it for details. the golden one just like holder, you can choice different "stick". about that "balck eraser", it was waxiness eraser, but dirty already~~~:)

i think the tools choice is not very important thing, pay attention to the basic of drawing, that's the point.

lol 15 years, no wonder i am not even close to your level.
i have experimented with many "tools" the last year and i still havent found my selected choice of tools :)

thanks for the info.

Rebeccak
09-06-2005, 07:14 AM
zhuzhu,

Thank you for sharing your art materials! This is cool to see. :)

drawMonger,

Great to have you on the thread! :)

You have a great start so far!! :thumbsup: The overall attitude is working well, and your proportions are, for the most part, very good. Proportionally, what I would recommend would be to elongate / extend her lower left leg, as right now it looks to be too short. The relationship of the head to the body looks good, as do the arms to the body. I think the right arm could be a bit thinner, and her lower right leg thicker, as right now these are approximately the same width.

With respect to values, the major thing I would recommend would be to really go ahead and just completely darken the bkgrd value to a deep brown, as this will give you a much greater range of values, and will show the lightness of her skin tone to a much greater degree. Right now, if you squint your eyes at the piece, she sort of blends into the bkgrd.

Finally, I would recommend making her skin tone not so light all over, as you are currently limited in the value range that you can go up on the skin. Many times, light areas are darker than you think, even on light skin, and so you want to afford yourself the full range of possibilities value~wise from the beginning. You want to gradually build the lights from a mid~range value up to the highlights, and down to the shadows.

Looking great so far! Looking forward to your update! :)

~Rebeccak

zhuzhu
09-06-2005, 07:26 AM
lol 15 years, no wonder i am not even close to your level.
i have experimented with many "tools" the last year and i still havent found my selected choice of tools :)

thanks for the info.

ha ha , not full time dawing during the past 15 years. if as that, i think i can do better job now. i just learn drawing at art school for 2 years. after that, i have be a professional model (for fashion show and another modeling job) many years, even right now. drawing just free time hobby. since 2002, i find painted in digital have fun, and i have go back to drawing again.

it's me, photo in 2000, 5 years ago.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/zhuhaibo/04.jpg

Rebeccak
09-06-2005, 07:30 AM
zhuzhu,

Very cool, it's funny, you don't look at all like I expected, lol! :)

Nice Garfield picture! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

zhuzhu
09-06-2005, 07:36 AM
zhuzhu,

Very cool, it's funny, you don't look at all like I expected, lol! :)

Nice Garfield picture! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

ha ha, this is the charm of internet. and, i just know you are a lady...ha ha. as before, i just confuse an old man have a female name...:) now i know, you are the girl who play the laser sword. sorry i am too slow.

Rebeccak
09-06-2005, 07:40 AM
zhuzhu,

I am laughing out loud!!! That is too funny!! :scream:

This might clear up the confusion: :)

I have just created a new thread:

Post a picture of yourself and / or your workstation / art space (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2607990#post2607990)

Please feel free to post your picture and other pictures there! :)

(The Female) Rebeccak :scream:

veljko-lemonade
09-06-2005, 08:34 AM
veljko-lemonade,

Other areas of the figure are more static (and therefore a bit less interesting) because there is not as much movement happening there ~ for example, the right leg and arms both have relatively:

~Rebeccak [/left]
[/center]
Hi- i know what you are saying, and i understand perfectly-I also noticed that the upper part of the thorso was done the best in this sketch- I also feel the most comfortable in drawing forms like that one, where the forms of the body are broken into smaller coliding elements, rather then upright standing figures where you have lots of parallel long lines
thx for the link and for your time:)

warpy
09-06-2005, 09:15 AM
same here, i knew you were a female. but everytime i saw the old man's picture without looking at the name i thought i was talking to him :) until it hit me :banghead:

Per-Anders
09-06-2005, 09:41 AM
thankyou for the comments and crits viljko-lemonade and rebeccak!

veljko-lemonade, i agree on what you are saying about focusing in on certain area, but i have to disagree about the exploration aspect or paint versus drawing though! i think it's good to work against the media, and never get too slick, adding to the challenge to give life to the work. it's about learning more than just anatomy after all (which you could do from any book)! and each media brings it's own set of challenges and benefits to learn.

rebeccak - yes you're right far too light, i've toned it down a bit here.

anyhow, i've updated after another hours work tonight. unfortunately the more i work with it, the more apprent all the terrible flaws are lol, i don't think this one's working into any further, so maybe i'll start another one (when i get the time).

http://www.peranders.com/general/lifedrawing/lifedrawing002.jpg

D4ng3rmouse
09-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Hey i decided to try and sketch just the head like you suggested Rebeccak. This is what i came up with last night. Did it in about 2hours which for me is very quick :shrug: hehe. Its my first attempt and i tried to plan it out less than i would do usually so there are a lot of things that are off. The left side of the face (from our perspective) is to far out, the eyes are terribble as well. I probably shouldn't have tried shading it before i made sure it all looked ok but i didn't notice until i started shading. Well anyway here it is hope its ok, im gonna try starting a new sketch of the head again later and ill see if i can get a better result :). Oh yeah at the mo im just sketching it right way up in a portrait way just to make it a bit easier for myself to begin with hope thats ok.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/Gandalf82/head.jpg

actually if u cover up the left side it loks a lot better lol.
Hey zhuzhu ive got one of those lead holders as well, they rock :buttrock:hehe. Gotta say your sketches are amazing, i especially like the water colour ones. I tired using water colours for a little while but they are so hard to use!

drawMonger
09-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Rebecca, I've made the chages you suggested...Cheers!
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/26WG109GOP96

EAD
09-06-2005, 03:45 PM
In response to subtle hints, I thought Id better do a quick sketch for this one, so here it be.

She has a few issues with limbs--- I recon she could smash through concrete walls with that left arm :p I only wish my bicep was that impressive.

Lemonade :thumbsup: - Im lovin your work, the hatchings teriffic, keep it up.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2411/whatanarm8sl.jpg

Rebeccak
09-06-2005, 04:11 PM
mdme_sadie,

Definitely better with darker values! :) Why not try taking this into Photoshop? You might find that things are easier to control there...but everyone works differently, so you may just want to experiment a bit. Looking forward to updates! :)

D4ng3rmouse,

Kudos for trying this exercise! This will be a great approach, and I look forward to seeing more work from you! I may try to post a little review later on today. Good work so far, and keep it coming! :thumbsup:

drawMonger,

Ah, much much better! :thumbsup: Just make sure you don't leave a halo around her (esp. noticeable about the hair). I still think her lower leg could use more length ~ what do you think? Do you plan to take this piece further? :)

Andyonahill,

He lives! Do you plan to paint this one? Her upper torso looks great, but I would work more on her limbs ~ I think people hit a wall when they get to long, narrow, relatively straight features (such as limbs can be) and you have to exaggerate these features to make them interesting by using Opposing Curves. Also, you might want to try a separate study of the head, as I'm sure you could go into much more depth in a full~size study. Good luck, and look forward to your updates!

~~~

Good work, guys, keep it up! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
09-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Mike,

I didn't see your drawing before ~ sorry for that! Here is a belated review. :)

http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/7397/firstpencildrawing5iu.jpg

Really decent start, and I like the linework! :) Howerver, there are things which could be improved. I think her ribcage looks a bit emaciated. The lines which indicate rather thin ribs are contributing to that effect. Her left leg is looking a bit small with respect to her torso and right leg. Additionally, I think her head, while well~realized, looks a bit small for her body.

Good start, and are you going to have time to paint this? Looking forward to your updates. :)

~Rebeccak

drawMonger
09-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Ah, much much better! :thumbsup: Just make sure you don't leave a halo around her (esp. noticeable about the hair). I still think her lower leg could use more length ~ what do you think? Do you plan to take this piece further? :)

Thanks again...I'll fix those last things for my own benefit but the changes will be pretty close to this one and I don't want to flood the thread with my pic. One question, what part of the leg do you think I should extend?

Rebeccak
09-06-2005, 05:29 PM
drawMonger,

Do not be afraid to 'flood' this thread with one pic. You should see the way I flooded OFDW 002 with my one pic, lol! The purpose of the Anatomy Forum being a Sub~Forum under WIP is to encourage everyone to post their works in progress for continuous critique. So, I highly encourage you and everyone to post *significant* modifications when they have made them ~ the point is to post the work and receive feedback until the piece is truly 'finished', or at least reasonably so within our time constraints. So don't be shy about posting away. :)

I think her lower right leg needs to be extended quite a bit. I could be wrong, but take a look at the photo and compare.

Good luck, and post those updates! :)

~Rebeccak

EAD
09-06-2005, 05:32 PM
I think people hit a wall when they get to long, narrow, relatively straight features (such as limbs can be) and you have to exaggerate these features to make them interesting by using Opposing Curves. ~~~

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak :thumbsup:
I agree entirely with this. I always find the limbs tough as they are long expansive surfaces without the detail of the torso and head and are therefore harder to map accurately due too lack of reference points. I have noticed how peoples drawings tend to be weakest in the limbs as there always seems to be the most guesswork involved. The length of the femur seems to me to be the hardest proportion get right on the human body as it is the most expansive and feature-void part. I think knowing about the muscle structure can help with this (Head buried in a anatomy book) as well as providing the knowledge to emphasized opposing curves as you suggest.
:D

a quick question for teacher>> Do you (or anyone else) find it easier to draw more muscular people over standard mortals, and do you find the male form easier/harder than the female ? (I ask because Im considering drawing some muscle clad steroid eaters to improve my rather limited knowledge).

default-rol
09-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Mike,

I didn't see your drawing before ~ sorry for that! Here is a belated review. :)

Really decent start, and I like the linework! :) Howerver, there are things which could be improved. I think her ribcage looks a bit emaciated. The lines which indicate rather thin ribs are contributing to that effect. Her left leg is looking a bit small with respect to her torso and right leg. Additionally, I think her head, while well~realized, looks a bit small for her body.

Good start, and are you going to have time to paint this? Looking forward to your updates. :)

~Rebeccak

WOW! MY FIRST REVIEW BY THE RebeccaK - FORUM LEADER! I'm honoured... lol! :bowdown: No probs for missing it before 'Becca.

Totally agree with everything you said. I usually look at my drawings again about 30 minutes after I post, and notice all these things that are horribly wrong... :blush: I will try to correct it/ redo it again and improve.

MIKE

Rebeccak
09-06-2005, 05:41 PM
AOAH,

(I hope you don't mind that I've shortened your name to an acronym) :D

That is a GREAT point about muscle~bound men and women. My answer is a resounding YES. It's why I do and have done so many master copies, particularly from Rubens and Michelangelo ~ because they exaggerate (and invent) musculature EVERYWHERE and it is clear.

I really recommend, in a more modern context, drawing from photographs of sports icons ~ basketball players, the aforementioned muscle~men (just google "weighlifters" or "bodybuilders" or the like) and you will come up with a lot of great reference to draw from in terms of muscles. Now, not every figure you draw need be Arnold Schwarzeneger~like, but drawing from the muscle~bound can really help one's drawing ability a lot.

Try to make these drawings ARTISTIC ~ and not just basketball fan boy pics of favorite stars. ;)

This reminds me that I am trying to finagle a deal with a friend of a friend who is a bodybuilder ~ I am going to ask him if he will do some free poses for us, either nude or semi~nude, as he has done professional photos before. I can't make any guarantees, but I for one prefer to draw from men (I know I am in the minority here, lol), but I think for musculature, men tend to be more buff (though I have drawn from fairly muscular women as well).

I would try just doing maybe 5-10 drawings using basketball players as reference ~ then post them on the appropriate thread (not here) and we'll take a look then.

Good luck, and I hope this helps! :)

~Rebeccak

warpy
09-06-2005, 06:09 PM
may i suggest www.3d.sk ? its free and stuff

EAD
09-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Rebecca, Thanks for the suggestions. feel free to acronymize(I think I just invented that verb) my name as much as you want. :thumbsup:

Go for it with the bodybuilder, that would be really good and beneficial to all in terms of understanding human form (and Im sure youd enjoy taking the photos).

:applause:
I have concluded that in order to imrove my drawing and understanding of opposing curves I need to draw people with as many curves, blemishes and creases as possible, so I recon my ideal subject will be a 75 year old, 280 pound bodybuilder with excessive body fat. :eek: :eek: :eek: NICE

Rebeccak
09-06-2005, 07:08 PM
My uncle Bob? :eek: *I'll stop spamming now.* :)

~Rebeccak

pushav
09-07-2005, 12:32 AM
Uncle bob. Lol
He forgot my Christmas gift last year.
Now I am emotionally wounded for life.

drawMonger
09-07-2005, 11:49 AM
In sketch group i've been spending an hour on a pic and forgetting about it, and here I find myself spending yet another hour on this one!!...this forum is redefining 'finished' for me :D

http://picserver.org/view_image.php/X2A31MCQU84H

I found out today that my display was very poorly calibrated. So hopefully now i've got the halo problem under control.

veljko-lemonade, I really admire your shading :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
09-07-2005, 03:55 PM
drawMonger,

Ah, the edges look much better! Kudos for continuing to improve this. :thumbsup:

A few things could still be worked on to make this even better. I notice that your best shading is in the head / face area and upper torso (chest) and left arm. I think the reason why these areas are so successful is that you have a range of values ~ from mid dark to light, so you are able to build form there. However, the legs and right arm are losing out a bit because they are too light, causing them to appear washed out. Additionally, I think that the drawing of the lower right leg could be beefed up a bit and refined. :)
Finally, do you plan to do anything with the background? :)

Hopefully you will not take offense to any of these comments. :) You'll find that the closer a piece is to being 'finished', the more comments I will make. ;)

This looks great so far! Looking forward to your updates! :)

~Rebeccak

pushav
09-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Wow nice job drawmonger!

Samanthie
09-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Getting a late start. I need some help with my proportions. Something is off and I am having trouble figuring out what. I have the 'real' image open alongside mine..even still I can't seem to find the problem. Thanks!

Please forgive me if I miss anyone. I've looked at all of your images. Some really great starts and some drawings that are really super. Seems everything is in a rush for me today.

DrawMonger this is really good and you've captured her expression nicely too.

Zhuzhu I like your drawing so far. Makes me want to practice more.:)

Yours too Veljko..very good job.

Warpy...Good start and hope to see your image develop.

Mdme_Sadie..I think your image is lovely and has a nice watercolor appearance.

Nice portrait James.:) Here is something that really has helped me with eyes. Get a hand mirror and just look at your own eyes and sketch them. It really will help.

Rebeccak
09-08-2005, 03:19 AM
Samanthie,

Great to see you back for OFDW 003!!! :bounce: Can't wait to see how this progresses!!! Make sure to keep those files handy for future tutorials!

~Rebeccak :thumbsup:

drawMonger
09-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Thanks pushav and Samanthie for the feedback...if the pic is turning out OK, it's mostly due to Rebecca's good advice :)

Rebecca, There is no way I would take offense at any of your comments...i'm just so thankful that you're taking the time to make such useful crits!

I see what you mean about the values being too light on the legs and right arm and agree that the right leg needs more work...I look forward to making an update in the next few days and will give the model something to sit on ;)

Cheers!!

lhiondaig
09-08-2005, 03:04 PM
this workshops are amazing, and a very good learning place =)
I already did 1 and 2 but was afraid of posting them. I ll color that soon- hope its ok to post in an early state? If not I ll remove it

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/treehuger/003.jpg

Rebeccak
09-08-2005, 03:12 PM
hagarun,

Welcome to the thread, I'm happy to see you've posted! :) You are absolutely welcome to post work in progress, as the Anatomy Forum is housed under the main WIP 2D Forum. :) I really encourage people to do so, as it helps us all see your working method and allow us to give comment, critique, and encouragement as we go along. :)

Very nice work so far! I think that the linework is looking good. :)

I think that the head may be a bit too big for the body right now...if this is done in Photoshop, then it should be very simple to scale just the head down. Her right leg should be a bit thicker, and I would recommend lengthening her lower leg and enlarging the foot a bit. The torso looks great, I would just caution against making her too skinny. I really like how you've drawn the arms, and I think it will be great to see a painting of this! :)

Good luck, and I look forward to your updates! :)

drawMonger,

You are most welcome! Look forward to more great work! :)

~Rebeccak

Llynna
09-08-2005, 03:38 PM
wow, all these really cool images you all :)

i am a little bit short on comments and drawings these days because of a fever but i hope this will be over soon. back to bed for me.

keep up your great work :)

bonedog
09-09-2005, 12:44 AM
i just discovered this forum and i'm totally excited about it. here's my first attempt... hopefully i'll have a bunch more to follow.

cheers,
bonedog
http://www.imaginarydog.com/daily/oatmeal1.jpg

Rebeccak
09-09-2005, 12:57 AM
bonedog,

Glad you found us, welcome to the Anatomy Forum!! This is lovely work, thank you for posting! :)

I checked out your homepage, and you are an artist after my own heart with your use of charcoal and studies of anatomy...it's great to see! :) Lol, you've dones the same copy of the leg bones as I have, which is really neat to see! :) I look forward to seeing more of your work on the forum! :)

With respect to your first sketch for the OFDW 003, I think you've got a lovely start. :) I would say that the head is a bit too big for the rest of the figure...not an easy correction traditonally, but if you were to paint this up in Photoshop, it would be a really easy fix. The shading, particularly around the stomach area, left leg and arms, is quite nice, tho I miss the same treatment on the lower right leg and foot. The pedestal is really nicely sketched in gesturally, which is great since the primary focus is the model. :)

Great start, and I look forward to updates! Please feel free to post work in progress, as that is really the purpose of this thread and forum. :)

~Rebeccak

lhiondaig
09-09-2005, 08:06 AM
thank you rebecca! - I tried to fix the wrong parts =) still very unsure about her lower leg- I think its in a wrong perspective and too long now
There is something about the pose and face that reminded me on a wood nypmph taking her morning shower- so I decided to try that setting with =)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/treehuger/003-02.jpg

@Llynna heya, didnt know you are around here too. Hope you are well soon again =)

@bonedog welcome =) very nice done. I especially like her legs and her belly. I look forward for more!

Katea
09-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Hello I just wanted to say hi :)

I'm hoping to join you in this exercise soon :) I like this kind of sketches a lot. Rebbeca - This was a great idea :) :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
09-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Katea,

Looking forward to having you join us! :)

~Rebeccak

Kalorlo
09-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Whoops, I managed to vanish from the face of CGTalk for a few months (I blame working 50-hour weeks and also playing World of Warcraft...)

Anyway, this is me messing about as I'm a bit out of practice.

http://www.kellyhouse.force9.co.uk/art/anatomy/figure_09_11_05.jpg

Hand and foot - I don't really know what I'm doing with the light lines, so they're going in all directions a bit :)

Then I had a very quick go at the face.

Rebeccak
09-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Kalorlo,

It's great to see you back on the Anatomy Forum! :) Thanks for posting your work! :)

Your studies are REALLY lovely...you have a really unique shading style which I think is fantastic ~ I like that these are not over~rendered or over~baked as you could say ~ the sketches really seem to have life! Also, it's great that you've tackled the three most challenging items ~ the head, feet, and hands. :thumbsup:

Great work, and I hope to see more of your work on the forum! :)

~Rebeccak

EAD
09-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Here's the beginnings of a painting Im working on, Its been a major learning process so far as ive never seriously attempted to render flesh in ps before..It takes ages...! :D... but it has given me an excuse to avoid real work and therefore avoid using dreamweaver... hurrah

check it out and let me know what yer recon :thumbsup:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4158/post18zt.jpg

bonedog
09-09-2005, 11:05 PM
hagarun: that's looking great so far... i especially like the pink touches on the knees/elbows. The head could use some work, but it's better than mine =)

AOAH: good start... i'd try using a harder brush, though. it makes me uncomfortable looking at all those blurry edges.

rebecca: i saw your knee/femur study and i was like "oh crap she's got better values on her study" :) anyway, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, as there are some definite similarities in the things we've studied and appreciated. that last drawing is beyond repair but i went ahead and attempted the other picture.

+bone

http://www.imaginarydog.com/daily/crazy.jpg

Rebeccak
09-10-2005, 01:43 AM
AOAH,

Hey, this is a great start! Kudos for leaping into the pool and doing swimmingly...get it? :scream: Ok.

The areas which you've worked on the most are working well ~ the face and the chest area being primary among them. I also like how you're approaching the stomach / lower torso area, by keeping things blocky from the start. Proportionally, I think things are looking good, though I think her head and neck could be raised a bit more height wise (select the head and neck area with lasso or path tool, feather selection by maybe 5 pixels, copy merge, paste and move up several pixels) so that she does not look quite so squashed.

You may have seen this brief tutorial, but if not, check out:

TUTORIAL - Digital Figurative Painting from OFDW - by Rebeccak (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=275436)

TUTORIAL - Digital Figure Painting - by Samanthie (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=274082)

My tut goes thru a black and white approach, and Samanthie takes you through a color approach. These are of course not the only ways to go about painting ~ there really is no 'right' way ~ but they can give you some guidance and tips about how to go about using Photoshop to paint.

Also, I think the key here is to simplify the working process by just obliterating the bkgrd as a factor ~ I would fill it in with either black or a mid to dark gray at 100%, and spend the majority of your time correcting and refining the drawing and painting of the figure. The beauty of filling in the bkgrd with a solid shade is that you can easily use it to correct your drawing.

And finally, remember that you can paint both additively and subtractively. Additive painting is where you are using the brush to add successive strokes of lighter or darker 'paint'. Subtractive painting is where you add typically a darker tone over a lighter tone and use the eraser at various opacities to reveal the lighter tone beneath. Additive and subtractive methods can be used successfully together to build form through value.

And that, dear Dreamweaver refugee, is the end of me sermon. :)

Keep it coming, AOAH! :)

bonedog,

Great to see you do a new piece! I think this one is MUCH stronger as I'm sure you realize.
The drawing and tonal strokes are much more considered and complete, and I think you've ended up with quite a nice drawing. :)

The thing I notice is that her head appears a bit too large for her body. If you look at the body while covering the face, everything appears to be in good proportion, and matching style. I think that the face is a bit more labored, and is throwing the drawing off a bit...but believe me, I know the difficulty of working in traditional medium, and there is no such thing as copy and paste there, so I give you a lot of credit for pulling an entire figure off with apparent ease. :)

I think her upper left arm appears to be too perfectly cylindrical, and her right arm a bit too straight. I still think that curves in the arms and legs must be exaggerated to make them more interesting to look at ~ even when this is not always exactly what the reality is in the photo reference or live model.

I think you've done a fantastic job, and I have to ask you if you are planning to paint this?

It is nice to make your acquaintance, too. :)

~Rebeccak

pushav
09-10-2005, 01:59 AM
good work everyone!:thumbsup: Keep it up.

rebo
09-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Can I have some advice please, I suck at joints that why I stopped where I did. I think the upper arms are too short and the shading is uneven.

Thanks

http://www.fortress-forever.com/upload/woman4.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Hi Rebecca and everyone
This is what I have so far
#1 broad brush strokes just feeling out the figure's gesture with color and light
oil brush - Painter
#2 using the liquid lens brushes -
I pull, compress, carve and generally sculpt the figure
as if it were clay. Trying to get the energy into figure.
Done rapidly to bring the form to life, flow of line, rhythm etc.
#3 starting to refine figure, working from shadow to light,
bringing background color into figure, creating atmosphere.
Paying more attention to color, lighting, shadow etc.
Using spotlight, contrast and just add texture for yellow tint over whole figure
to unify colors, found under 'effects' in Painter.
Well that's it for now.
Hope this information is helpful to someone if only just a little.
Everybody's stuff looks great and seems to be getting better.
Thanks to Rebecca and everyone else for sharing their knowledge.
Team work makes it work for everyone.
Take care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/nude_003-1.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/nude_003-5.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/nude_003-8.jpg

EAD
09-10-2005, 01:21 PM
wow rebeccak.. thanks for that,

nice sermon.... if only our religious leaders could enlighten the minions to such a extent ( I bet jesus never considered using a negative paint layer in photoshop..!, although to be fair to him he was probably only using version 2)

cheers for the tips.. v' usefull info. Im on it :thumbsup:

pixelkeg
09-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Hello, may I participate too?

Here's my sketch, it took about 20 minutes to do. As you can see I ran out of room on my 8x10 sketchbook, so I had to tape on an extension. :P That usually happens with me.

Everyone else's work is very cool, keep it up!

http://pixelkeg.com/images/2dArt/figure/cgtalkSketch1.jpg

Thanks
=pK=
pixelkeg.com

Rebeccak
09-10-2005, 04:00 PM
AOAH,

I word: LOL!!!

pixelkeg,

You're more than welcome to join us. :) Thanks for posting your work! :)

I think you have a good start here. I think the torso, arms, and head are in good proportion to one another. The legs have grown a bit long ~ look at the torso, arms and heads as a group, and then look at the legs separately, and I think you will see what I mean. You've gotten a nice twist in the pose, and I really like the emphasis you are placing on opposing sides of the figure to give it rhythm.

Do you plan to take this further by painting it, either digitally or traditionally? :)

~Rebeccak

pixelkeg
09-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi Rebeccak,

Thanks for the feedback! It's my day off, so spending some time playing with the image. Thanks for the note about the legs, I hope they look a little better now.

http://pixelkeg.com/images/2dArt/figure/cgtalkSketch2.jpg

The actual image is much much bigger, about 18x19.3 inches at 300 dpi. Might even go bigger to get more detail in her eye.

Figure:
-Used photoshop to cut and shorten the legs.
-Used the blur brush(and pen tablet) to soften the inside fleshy parts.
-Used the smudge tool to try and clean the lines up, and help refine some anatomy. I'm taking some liberty with it, but it's for fun.

Sky:
-Used a gradient to get the overall tone.
-Used soft and gritty brushes to burn and dodge some clouds.

Wings might be 3D. My wife thinks I should put some clothes or angel armor on her. Might do that.

Edit, sorry. I'm gonna have to read your other tutorials, because getting the color into her skin is gonna be a challenge. Basically what I want is to take the greyscale image and use that layer to define the skin color values. Might try to do layer glazes a la oil painting. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Sergioooooooooooooo

Rebeccak
09-10-2005, 09:17 PM
pixelkeg,
WOW, great to see you taking this to the next level! :bounce:

The bkgrd looks great...and 3D wings sound cool, so long as they don't look 3D while the figure looks 2D ~ but that's common sense. ;)

Her right leg still looks rather large for the figure, though by itself, I like the drawing of it a lot. But right now she still has one giant leg and one proportional leg, so you may want to tweak with that ~ up to you. :)

One thing I would say is too go a bit darker on the figure, as you will quickly run out of value range if you begin too light. At the moment, the highlights are all pretty bright and at the same level of brightness ~ you want to reserve your brightest brights for only a select few areas, so that the figure does not appear to be washed out.

Can't wait to see where this goes! Keep up the great work, and definitely keep posting updates! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

pixelkeg
09-11-2005, 04:09 AM
Last one for today, might come back to it tomorrow or the next day. Reading the tutorials, and trying to come up with my own thing. Gotta fix the hands on the wings too.

What will probably happen is I'll print the b&w layer out and draw the new parts freehand,the pen tablet isn't working out. I like it for broad strokes, but for drawing...give me a pencil, you know?

http://pixelkeg.com/images/2dArt/figure/cgtalkSketch3.jpg

drawMonger
09-11-2005, 04:55 PM
I've had fun with this...thanks Rebecca for your guidance...do you think it's finished?

http://picserver.org/view_image.php/2F748B63W1F0

pixelkeg, very creative! I like the skin tones and hair against the blue background.:)

Rebeccak
09-11-2005, 05:14 PM
drawMonger,

WOW!!! This has really come a long way! It's great to see all of the hard work you've put into this. You've done a great job with the figure, and I really like what you've done with the bkgrd. The gradations and textures work really well! :thumbsup:

Whether or not this is 'finished' is up to you. There are a few things which I think you could tweak to make this better. A minor thing which I notice right away is that there is a bit of wall texture behind the top of her head which is making her look as though she has a spiky haircut. I would just recommend blending that texture more into the bkgrd or reducing it's contrast so that it's not so distracting.

I think her lower left leg looks less finished than the rest of the figure. It seems a bit thick in comparison to her upper left leg and to her lower right leg. It also appears to have the least amount of modeling, and therefore is looking rather flat and washed out ~ too bright. I think it would help a lot if you shaved some volume off of the back of her left calf and slimmed the ankle.

Also there is that bit behind the knee which additionally stands out to me as being too thin and frail.

Finally, I think that the pedestal could use a bit of work to bring it up to the same quality of rendering as the figure and bkgrd. You might try blending the darker folds a bit more and using dark red instead of black in the shadows. It's a bit unclear where her right foot is resting, so you might try developing that part of the stool a bit more. A few highlights should do the trick.

Hope this isn't too nitpicky ~ it's just that when I see work that approaches the finish line, I get a bit more critical.

Excellent work ~ the head, torso, arms, and right leg are really amazingly well~done! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

b2dermawan
09-12-2005, 12:12 AM
whew joining late as usual. but great works everyone!! and nice to see new faces bringing more amazing arts, will give c&cs later perhaps, when i've got more brain power to do so.

meanwhile this my early wip for the class entry. and hey looks like me and pixelkeg share the same idea (or more likely that i'm inspired by his piece :)), or perhaps the fig just has the right aura.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/bdermawan/class03fig1wip.jpg
off to sleep now.

drawMonger
09-12-2005, 12:13 AM
I think this will do it...

http://picserver.org/view_image.php/OXNLKVO3973H

Mucho gracia!!!

Rebeccak
09-12-2005, 12:23 AM
b2dermawan,

Great to see you starting on a new OFDW!!

As per usual, I love your color palette and textural approach to paint. Nice start so far! I do think she needs more lower torso and that her legs are a bit small for her body at this point.

Just keep going ~ I'd definitely like to see where this goes! :)

drawMonger,

I think this looks great!! While I still think her left leg looks a bit chubby, overall this is a really beautiful piece, and it has been a pleasure to have you in the Workshop! :)

You've definitely modeled the lower left leg more, and it looks much better ~ the leg now feels much more unified and complete. You've also been great about taking suggestions in stride ~ the corner of the stool under her right foot is now resolved, and I like the textural feel which you've kept with the cloth. Great work!!

The hair is really nicely done as well ~ you can almost feel its texture, which is nice since it's not over~rendered. I think overall in this piece there is a nice balance between rendering and keeping it loose enough to feel like a traditional painting.

Overall this is a beautiful piece, and I hope you will continue to participate in future OFDWs! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

drawMonger
09-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Rebecca! This might sound strange, but finishing a drawing like this is a first for me and I'm really glad you were able to show me how to take the piece from start to finish.

Yes, i can see it...I 'll shave a little more off the leg.

I think the OFDWs are bloody *fantastic* and will participate as much as possible :D

Rebeccak
09-12-2005, 12:58 AM
drawMonger,

Wow, that is awesome to hear! Thanks for that! :)

Wow, really this is your first finished piece? I wouldn't have guessed it. And I don't think I've 'shown' you much, just given the nudge and you've known what to do. :thumbsup:

Great to hear that you will be continuing to participate in these! :) It's great to have you aboard.

~Rebeccak

drawMonger
09-12-2005, 01:19 AM
Wow, really this is your first finished piece?
Yes, i started drawing in sketch group last February, but haven't spent more than a few of hours on any one drawing. I have spent years working with photoshop as a web designer, but web graphics ain't fine art ;)

And I don't think I've 'shown' you much
I disagree...it's a case of 'you can't fix what you can't see', so those nudges make us look at problems that we may not find for ourselves...and your tutorials are very informative.:)

Rebeccak
09-12-2005, 01:29 AM
drawMonger,

Thank you! :) That's cool of you to say. :) You know, if you have energy to spare, feel free to tackle the second pose in this OFDW ~ there's still another week to go! :)

BTW, what, may I ask, is your background/training?

~Rebeccak

drawMonger
09-12-2005, 02:32 AM
Thanks for asking...I'm a programmer and have been working freelance for the past five years. I think if It wasn't for art i'd go nuts (presuming i was sane in the first place).

I'd like to give the other pose a go...I might 'bite the bullet' and go pencil and paper for that one ;)

Rebeccak
09-12-2005, 02:38 AM
drawMonger,

Thanks for that. :) It's always nice to know a bit about the people on the forum. :)

I agree, I think for most of us here, art keeps us 'sane', eg, interested in life and in where we can go with our artistic capabilities. :)

Looking forward to your traditional version!

~Rebeccak

pixelkeg
09-12-2005, 05:59 AM
Hi folks, here's some more work on the image, including an almost complete reDraw of the figure. Basically printed it out, traced in ink, then scanned again. The feathers are created with Maya's paint effects, converted to polygons, rendered, and color corrected. Any comments are appreciated!

http://pixelkeg.com/images/2dArt/figure/cgtalkSketch4.jpg

Rebeccak:
I tried to fix up the porportions, specifically on the leg. Is it looking a little more porportional? Tried to get the wing arms to do a little forshortening, but i'm not sure if it reads that way.

drawMonger:
Wow, that's so cool! You really have some great skills. :)

b2dermawan
Very nice work! I like your color choices. You're right, her pose has a great flowing feel. :)

Rebeccak
09-13-2005, 06:27 AM
pixelkeg,

It's great to see you take this in a cool direction! :)

The thing I have to say is that the background, as it is now, is not working so well with the foreground figure...I think pictorally, the image is suffering because you have a sort of 'shocking' or unusual character in the midst of something of a Sears backdrop sky, and placed smack in the middle of the picture plane ~ so that while the character is rather interesting, the pictorial arrangement is not. I think that were you to expand the canvas so that the figure is not so centered, and then gave the sky more interesting colors than the kind of standard sky texture blue it has now ~ maybe something with red, to offset the green of the figure ~ then it would definitely become more interesting from a viewer's standpoint. :)

I also think that what is causing the picture to suffer a bit is the fact that there is little VALUE differentiation between the figure and the sky. The figure looks as though it might be lit within an interior scene, while the sky is really bright and sunshiny. I think a darker, more moody background would suit the character much better, and would also offset the figure by providing contrast. :)

I hope you continue to work on this, and to post your results! :)

~Rebeccak

PSR
09-13-2005, 08:05 AM
drawMonger. Wow. Seriously impressive work, even more so since you say it is your first fully finished piece.
Very nice feet, hands and head. I love the drapery and the textured background. Overall a great image. Watch the upper body though, it does seem to be a little too elongated and somewhat straightened out. The angle of the crease in her abdomen on the near side, (bottom of her ribcage), doesn't quite tally with the angle Where her abdomen meets her hair. I'd definitely leave it as is though. Because of the elegant, classical feel those proportions give to the figure. Well done, look forward to seeing more from you.

b2dermawan. Nice Start. Trickiest of the two poses, I think.

pixelkeg. It's been great fun watching your image progress. I just see a seated nude, you see a winged creature. Marvellous. I think this image would make a great album cover, if there were still such things.

lhiondaig
09-13-2005, 11:11 AM
this workshops really show some great improvments and artworks =)
just some comments I wanted to through in if thats ok

drawmonger this turned out really great I love the brown tones you used
kaloro simply beautyfull- nice expression on her face
bonedog hehe thanks, yes we both seem to made the head a bit weird ;) - but expect for the head I think your turned out really nice- like her feet alot
pixelkeg I really like the concept here! Hope you dont mind if I critiquize a bit?
As you can see I m not good at anatomy but here are some things that popped into my eyes, like the legs. Especially the feet look like facing in another direction, and the left leg looks a bit to long. The left arm looks also a bit weird -compared to the right arms they are really good!
For the backround you might (since I personally find she looks like sort of a godess)want to add maybe a jungle - and shes looking down on it. Maybe a small river- something like that.
Hope I dont feel offend by my critique- would like to see further upgrades on that one =)

zhuzhu
09-13-2005, 02:56 PM
wow~~~! so many great works here, i'm later~~~:bounce:

sketch in openCanvas 3

http://usera.imagecave.com/zhuhaibobo/533.jpg

Rebeccak
09-13-2005, 03:05 PM
zhuzhu,

Great start! :thumbsup: I only think the legs need to be bigger ~ to match the upper body. Beautiful upper torso and arms! :) Thanks for posting! :)

~Rebeccak

b2dermawan
09-13-2005, 10:25 PM
drawMonger: wow very nice! and congrats for finishing figure 1 with such success! great rendering and values used in general, esp. on the face and the upper torso! can't wait to see u taking the next fig.

pixelkeg: thank you, i really appreciate it. And wow, you've got cool imagination, very creative indeed. quite an interpretation that her left foot would stand on her right knee, but it seems believable enough, so i guess it's okay:thumbsup: . agree w/ Rebeccak about the bg to improve your piece. keep updating please!

PSR: hey thanks a lot :). and yes, it's tricky on its own account with the perspective thing. trickiest of the two? damn, i wrongfully picked my hell then *lol* (well, got to do them soon or later, anyway).

zhuzhu: wow that's awesome! your sketch certainly looks like finished product to me! and great interpretation for the face, love it!

Rebeccak: thanks for the support and your usual invaluable insights! work a lil bit on it tonight, mainly on the head and hands. i've added more of the legs, as you suggested, does it look more proportional now? (wanna make sure before dive to detailing). i've added a lil bit of the lower torso too (there's some perspective issue on it, hopefully will be solved by playing in darker values). and i'm really looking forward to your further directions! thanks in advance!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/bdermawan/class03fig1wip2s.jpg

pixelkeg
09-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Rebeccak
Thank you for the honest feedback! :thumbsup: Too bad we didn't meet during the Master and Servant challenge, I could have used the help. :) I agree 100% about the background issue. I should download an actual Sears backdrop and use it, lol. Anyway, I'm gonna try a few things in a widescreen format. Possibilities:

-She is a parrot creature who is imprisoned in someone's home, then escapes.
-She lives in a Jungle setting with a huge Mayan pyramid in the background. (thanks Hagarun for the suggestion) She can be looking down on a young Mayan warrior or something.
-She's in a mating flight with a male birdman type, with more of a red bg.

PSR:
Thanks! We should start a band and make an album, then we can use her for the cover. :twisted:

Hagarun:
No offense at all. The proportions of the limbs have been a big challenge for me, I think i draw things to where I think the image flows in an interesting way, and kind of take liberties on the lengths. I'm working on it, though. :)

b2dermawan:
Thanks! Now that you mention her left foot, it feels a little too small, might try to work on that. Nice refinements on your piece, by the way. If you're planning to expand on the wings idea, it might be good to have them tilt in the same way that her back does so it can be all flowy and stuff.

=pK=

Rebeccak
09-13-2005, 11:28 PM
b2dermawan and pixelkeg,

A wee bit short on time at the moment, but b2, looking good, and I will definitely comment more later, and pixelkeg, thanks for being such a great sport, and I will also respond in a bit to your thoughts.

Cheers guys! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
09-14-2005, 02:10 AM
b2dermawan and pixelkeg,

Instead of critiquing your pieces individually, I thought it might be useful for everyone if I just did a brief demo using the photoreference from which you were both working.

I worked up a bit of a demo for this pose just highlighting a few key basic concepts which are important for constructing any complex figure ~ hopefully this will be useful for anyone working from this particular photograph.

The key thing to establish is the head's direction. The head can be represented simply with a circle and some simple axes representing the center of the face and the axes of the brow, eyes, nose, lips, and chin.

The basic direction of the neck is of secondary importance.

The major thing to establish third is the center line of the torso. In this instance, the figure is seen from the front, so her center line runs from the pit of the neck (the hollow space between the clavicles) down the sternum, thru the belly buttn, to the base of the pelvis. When you draw this, of course this is an approximation.

The basic volumes of the torso and pelvis can be expressed with a simple spheres. The goal is to keep things loose until the figure is laid in and basic proportions established.
I've chosen to just represent the torso with Opposing Curves which loosely describe the outlines of what I imagine in my mind to be squashy spheres defining the torso and pelvis respectively.

You may then wish to establish the basic direction of the limbs. Limbs are always secondary in importance to the major attitude of the torso and pelvis. Limbs can be simplified in terms of cylindrical and boxy shapes. Again, I've just used loose Opposing Curves to define the basic shapes of the limbs. Exaggerating the Opposing Curves is always a useful device for expressing Volume ~ you never want to describe Organic Volumes such as comprise the figure with straight lines, even if they appear rather straight to your eyes. Exxaggeration of Opposing Curves is key to getting organic volume to read.

These are just the basic steps for the Gesture or Lay~in of the figure. They are steps which are more or less modified and expanded upon as one progresses through a drawing. They should be consciously refined to bring the figure closer and closer to a meaningful whole ~ the more confident one is with these basic concepts, the better off one will be when attempting a complex figure.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20003/003_Neg-Space_New_REVIEW-SE.jpg

Hope this helps! :)

~Rebeccak

lanternkid
09-14-2005, 02:15 AM
Unn this is the first time I'mmah post in one of these threads, but I've been watching em and they're a really awesome idea - really high standard of work as well :eek:

Anyways this is mine, not finished yet...ack and already I can see a few mistakes...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/moonlantern/anatomy00301.jpg

b2 whoa those colours are so vivid and rich, the shading looks dead on too. Looking at it I think maybe you're placing her right breast too low considering she's leaning more towards the other side and has her arm stretched up. Or maybe it's just cuz it's morning here, and I'm still dopey...

zhuzhu, sodangcool...I can't get opencanvas 1.1 to do anything for me, so this is just crazy...

pixelkeg omgash it does look really Incan/Mayan. Nice job on the winged arms too, the design is wicked and I like the way you've done the 'hands' of her winged arms.

drawMonger somehow it reminds me of one of those really formal studies in oil, so beautiful.

Aaugh sorry I'm sobad at constructive crit :blush: [edit: whoa though rebecca covered everything just then in that post, wahh] Anyways thanksu somuch for creating these threads, they're so helpful. Meh, now I go do art homework on Andy Warhol.

Rebeccak
09-14-2005, 02:34 AM
moonlantern,

Welcome to the forum! :) It's great to see you finally post your work, and it looks like you've got a great start! :thumbsup:

There are some really beautiful aspects to this drawing, and your linework is one of them. You also have a very nice touch, and I appreciate that you've really brought out the subtle patterns and undulations of the skin through shading without compromising the main shape of things ~ for example, in her right leg. I think your appreciation of using Opposing Curves to create form, whether conscious or not, is really wonderful, and the only area where I think you're getting lost is around the head and a bit around the upper arms.

Drawing in this direct way with a difficult to erase medium can be stressful, and I think that part of the way to alleviate some of this stress is to lightly lay in the complete figure with, say, a sharp 4B (relatively soft) pencil before going in to really render with the fine gradations of charcoal. It is difficult to simultaneously concentrate on expression and basic proportions at the same time, so it makes sense to separate the two processes.

There are, of course, many benefits from just drawing directly onto the page ~ you learn to trust your instincts, to take risks, and to learn how to fail and learn from your mistakes. (By no means do I think that you have made major 'mistakes' in this drawing). I think of drawing itself as an act over time ~ you do a lot of drawings, and it's all a process of learning how to 'draw'. So it's not always useful to fret over single drawings...the goal is to do many, and to improve how you see.

I think also if you have not already done so in school, that you would greatly benefit from doing Master Copies of Drawings, Paintings, or Sculptures by Renaissance artists like Michelangelo, Raphael, DaVinci, and later artists like Rubens.

Great work so far, and I look forward to seeing how this turns out! Please post your updates, as many as you feel necessary. :)

~Rebeccak

PSR
09-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Rebeccak. Thank you for the very elegant and concise explanation for tackling a complex pose.

Finally managed to get something done for this session. A grey scale study of the first pose. Still not happy with the extended leg or feet, and her hand. But wanted to post before the next figures arrive.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3965/seatednudepainting8er.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I'm also taking Samanthies tutorial for a spin, with a colour version. I'll post the results if I can finish it in time

Rebeccak
09-14-2005, 03:57 PM
PSR,

You're totally welcome. :)

Your figure is looking really good so far...the basic lay~in of the head, torso left arm, and left leg are all looking great. The bits that need to be fleshed in more in terms of drawing are, as I'm sure you know, the right arm, hand, and left leg and foot. But I think you've done a great job of roughing in the values and making the bkgrd a really nice, deep gray which offsets the figure very well.

Value~wise, be careful not to go too light on her left leg, as you will run out of value range quickly. It's easy to throw a low opacity gray layer over the leg area and start to build lights through additive painting, or erase from the gray layer to reveal the lighter layer beneath in a subtractive process with the eraser tool set to a low opacity.

Keep working on this, and it will be great to see your progress! :)

BTW, are you guys finding that 2 weeks is not long enough? Would 3 be better? I just wonder if giving TOO much time might hurt the flow of things...but please let me know. :)

~Rebeccak

PSR
09-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Value~wise, be careful not to go too light on her left leg, as you will run out of value range quickly. It's easy to throw a low opacity gray layer over the leg area and start to build lights through additive painting, or erase from the gray layer to reveal the lighter layer beneath in a subtractive process with the eraser tool set to a low opacity.

Good tip, I'll give it a try, thank you.

Two weeks is fine for me. :)

pixelkeg
09-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Rebeccak: Awesome info, you rock!:buttrock:Btw i think the two week time frame is just fine if it's still good with your schedule. For me it's plenty of time to get going and develop an idea as much as possible.

cheerios
=pK=

Rebeccak
09-14-2005, 11:53 PM
pixelkeg,

Lol, thank you! :scream: I lean toward keeping the two week time frame as well, because I think it kind of forces us to keep moving along, even if it isn't always quite enough time to finish ~ the momentum is good, I think. :)

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
09-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Hi Rebecca
Still have alot of refinements to do. Worked on face yesterday.
Lips in photo kind of vague so I made up my own version.
Working on feet and hair tonight.
Thinking about placing her at jungle's edge overlooking water fall.
Sitting on boulder or tree branch, maybe.
Starting to get image and composition in my mind's eye.
Don't know if I like that idea or not.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Hi_Res_3_21.JPG

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Hi_Res_face_3_21.JPG

EAD
09-15-2005, 12:35 AM
hi all :thumbsup:
Worked a bit more on this, focussing mostly on head and upper torso but hoping to improve limbs in near future... and now I shall sleep
.......zzzzzzzz. :)

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/12/detail10pv.jpg

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/6447/update29bg.jpg

Rebeccak
09-15-2005, 12:40 AM
Spirit Dreamer and AOAH,

Just a quick peek here as I am in class, supposedly being a TA, lol! :scream:

Spirit Dreamer,

Your piece looks beautiful so far, thanks for the closeup of the face. Very dreamy yet not too smudgy ~ definitely keep going, you are doing a fantastic job, as usual. :)

AOAH,

Great to see your update! I would recommend keeping the bkgrd a solid color (mid~dark gray) until you establish the figure more fully ~ also, keeping the bkgrd one consistent value will really allow you to judge values in the figure more carefully. Right now, with so much going on in the bkgrd, it is going to be more difficult to tweak the subtle values within the figure.

Looks good so far, though, and I will definitely post more comments later when I am slacking off from my TA duties again. :hmm:

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
09-15-2005, 04:36 AM
Spirit Dreamer,

Ah, some time to take a closer look at your and AOAH's work. :)

It seems that the figure has a hot white/yellow highlight around it's rim...I would maybe tone this down a bit so that she doesn't look like she's glowing. Also, I think her hanging leg, especially her lower leg, is much too short. I'm sure you probably realize this and are still working. :)

One thing about the waterfall idea ~ you may want to be careful, because it could look too easily like a Pantene commercial, lol! :) So, I would caution you not to do something too generic...but then again you should do whatever you feel is best for the piece. :)

Definitely looking forward to your updates! :thumbsup:

AOAH,

Independently, the face and chest are really looking great. I think you are doing the right thing by trying to get shapes of values to work together, and this is a good way to paint generally.

I think the head and chest area are, each by themselves, looking fantastic. However, I think her chest is a bit small, though I could be wrong, since I am not looking at the photo.
Her head just seems to be overwhelming her chest a bit at this point. Bear in mind that you can easily copy merge, paste, and rescale areas and blend them back in if adjustments need to be made. :)

I think the left leg and foot have a great value and shape. I would just bring the right leg, foot, arm and hand up to the same basic level.

And definitely knock the bkgrd in in one fell swoop. It will take a lot out of the equation, as right now it is only providing a distraction. Later on, a good way to take care of the bkgrd, I discovered, is to create a light gray layer (masking the figure), then create a darker gray layer above it, and then erasing out the darker gray to reveal the lighter gray beneath. You can get some pretty good results with this method pretty quickly ~ it's equivalent to using a soft cloth to erase lights out of a monochromatic oil painting.

Good luck, and post your results! :)

~Rebeccak

Dark3D
09-15-2005, 05:00 AM
Well, Here is my try. Wes not to happy with this one. My wife didn't like it to much too. Oh well. I will try to do better.
http://www.dark3d.com/Gallery/images/page_figuresep4.jpg

EAD
09-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Cheers for the comments

The reason I havent used a flat background is largely because Im painting in the negative space around the figure at the same time as on the figure itself, giving me a means of creating edge. i find it easier to do this than to switch to the eraser or a mask each time I want to change an edge(or maybe Im just being lazy). Also i think its important to have the figure 'within' the space rather than stuck on top, hence Im using the same layer for foreground and background. This would be be a fatal error with a complex background but I think its ok with the simplicity of the surroundings in this particular photo.

Anyway I agree that I need to reduce the 'clutter' of the background and concentrate on the figure. I heed your advice and continue to learn :thumbsup: muchos thanks

Rebeccak
09-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Dark3D,

Have you heard of this book:

High-focus Drawing : A Revolutionary Approach to Drawing the Figure (Paperback) (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0879516046/ref=lpr_g_1/102-0950668-2427315?v=glance&s=books)

I had a teacher once who was I believe a former student of the author's and both teach this method of drawing using very fast Opposing Curves with pencil on paper. I think it would really suit your style brilliantly, as you use a very linear approach vs. a painterly approach to drawing. :) I highly recommend this book, as I think it would help you advance in your style of drawing which I happen to really like. :)

The author of the book taught at SVA (I think he may still do so) in New York.

I don't want to try to force you into taking a different approach than you are used to or like ~ but I do think you would benefit from doing a fully painted, shaded piece. But this is only a suggestion. :)

Will you continue to work on this piece? I think it has a lot of great possibilities. The main thing that I think needs to be altered is the head / face. The other thing which I would recommend with respect to the line work is to break your long lines into shorter increments ~ using overlapping forms to show what is in front of what, and taking more time to refine the outline. I think you are giving it one pass, and it is not always possible (in fact, it is very difficult) to get the figure perfect in just one pass of linework ~ so I would suggest not focusing on the interior shading at all, perhaps, but just working and reworking the exterior linework until it is really defining form in a highly satisfactory way.

Hope this is useful, and look forward to your update! :)

AOAH,

No, I absolutely agree about working the edges 'dynamically', as a friend of mine calls it ~ he referred me to a quote of John Singer Sargent's (whose work I really love) about just what you are talking about ~ in oil paint, of course, you don't have the option of creating layers and masking, nor would you necessarily want to, as edge variation is one of the key elements to a successful painting in any medium. No, I would not recommend to anyone masking the figure from the start ~ I work the same way as you, working the figure and ground simultaneously, though not necessarily on the same layers.

Looking forward to your progress! :)

~Rebeccak

b2dermawan
09-15-2005, 11:11 PM
pixelkeg: hey thanks and even more for the tips, really appreciate it.

Rebeccak: thank you for taking the time to do that! very helpful indeed :thumbsup:, will try to apply them in anyway i can.

moonlantern: thank you! and yours is a great sketch so far, any plan to paint it over digitally?

PSR: very nice, the pose and the bg are really working out very well. shapes and values in general are looking great, esp the face (love your interpretation for it, btw) and upper torso. and i certainly want to see the colored version too.

Spirit Dreamer: great choice of skin values so far. and definetely looking forward to your update!

Andyonahill: very nice, and kudos for doing it in grey-scale. btw, i usually paint like you too, simultaneosly switch between main fig and bg to create the contrast lines, and in color, doing so also helps to blend contrast colors more naturally toward the light source(s).

Dark3D: really love your line works and colors. the hands esp are made and rendered very effeciently. good job!

Anyway, i guess this is my finished one for fig 2. had some fun playing w/ the bg, which i don't usually do for figure studies:) . C&Cs are appreciated as usual.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/bdermawan/class03fig1fin.jpg

off-to sleep now, and keep up the good works:thumbsup: , everyone!

Rebeccak
09-15-2005, 11:19 PM
b2dermawan,

WOW!!! Great work on the figure and on the feathers! I really love this unique take on wings, which are seen sometimes too often ~ I really love the feel they seem to have ~ they are radiating a soft ostrich feather texture which is really pleasant to see. :thumbsup:

There are some details here and there which I think can be improved. If you wouldn't mind my doing a paintover, I can point these out more easily in that way. Give me a bit of time, and I will do that for you if it's okay. :)
Thanks for posting this amazing work! :bounce: I certainly look forward to your continued and future participation in the OFDWs! :applause:

~Rebeccak

b2dermawan
09-15-2005, 11:37 PM
Rebeccak: By all means, please do:bounce: !. This's supposed to be a study, so there's nothing i'd wish for than to improve!. personally, i think a paint over is the most effective way for me to understand, since my english aint that good. so thanks in advance!

Rebeccak
09-15-2005, 11:42 PM
b2,

No prob! :) It may be much later, but I'll have it for you at least by tomorrow. :)

~Rebeccak

lanternkid
09-16-2005, 03:36 AM
Rebeccak, thanks heaps for the input, I have a habit of getting stuck working on just one element of a drawing at a time I've realised, and also skimping on doing the basic outline (cuz the rendering is more fun :blush: ). I'll try to work on the drawing as a whole more....strangely I don't have this problem during life drawing classes, maybe because of the time limit...:shrug:Ooh and I've got an old book with colour pictures from the Sistine Chapel, I'll use that! Thanku again; we need workshop things like this in school.

Yayy thanks b2, hehe I would do a digital painting but my weekofrest is almost over, soon to be replaced by crammingforexams :cry: eight weeks of pure unadulterated legal studies, fun. Nice work on yours again; the wings look sweet! The colouring on the body turned out so well too, really glowy but still realistic...

Ahh, this is the final drawing I will be posting, before I go off and reread my Justice & Outcomes textbook (so frightening....it's like a telephone directory). I finished the head and arms, I think the pose isn't as exaggerated as in the photograph. A bit weird around the head cuz this is a digital camera shot, it's a bit more...compressed than it should be.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/moonlantern/anatomy00302.jpg

Dark3D I really like how you colour, especially how some of the colours seem really soft and others are hard-edged and scribbly. I think it works really beautifully, especially on the hair. Really nice style.

Andyonahill the face looks awesome, particularly how you did the tones on the nose and lips, reminds me of oil paintings...

Spirit Dreamer, this looks really good, I like that purpley-tinged shadow you give to the skin in some places, and the shading on the stomach looks really well done.

PSR your tones on the face and chest look...photographically good :eek:

Okii I go now.

Dark3D
09-16-2005, 04:51 AM
Rebeccak, I will try to take a look at your recommended book. I actually use a fully paint style first then work over with a linear style. Its really the only way I can go as fast as I do. I rarely have more than 1 hour of spare time to work. So I started to Block in with gray paint as a fast gesture drawing before I start the line work. I started this practice with light gray markers and pen and Ink on paper before I bought my Tablet PC. Anyway thanks for all your suggestions and help. I will try and learn from them!:thumbsup:

Well here is a fast sketch I made rather fast and cartoon like......

http://www.dark3d.com/Gallery/images/page_CGPose2.jpg

Rebeccak
09-16-2005, 05:14 AM
moonlantern,

I saw your post earlier this evening and didn't want to respond too quickly, as I would not do your work justice if rushed. Allow me to say that your Drawing is really beautiful, and that you had a good start before, but have really developed this into a very wonderful finished drawing which has so much going for it that I am sad that you will be a lawyer! Totally kidding, if I were as multitalented as you, I would take full advantage as well. :)

Before you run off and are buried beneath a pile of legal texts, can you tell us a bit about your background and training as an artist? I find it hard to believe that you are purely a hobbyist, as doing work of this calibre is impressive for a full~time art student! :)

First, let me say that I just love the linework, particularly around the torso and right leg. This is just beautiful. I also love the contrast between the (varied) sharpness of the figure's outline as contrasted with the softly mottled interior. This is done consistently and quite clearly consciously ~ well done! :)

The face also has a very beautiful and naturalistic expression which I really appreciate. And the bkgrd shading is sympathetic with and not competitive with the figure, which is an advanced concept which not everyone masters.

Overall, I have to say you have done an excellent job, and I really hope that you will be able to join us again on your breaks or when you just need relief from the legal profession. :)

Looking forward to seeing you on the forum and in future OFDWs. :) And best of luck during your studies. :)

Dark3D,

Seeing this work, I am completely convinced that you will just love the book I previously mentioned. And thank you for describing your working method, it is always interesting to hear. :) You have an innate style which I think you just need to refine. I really feel that the quickness with which you draw is both a great strength and something of a weakness, as I think the slickness of your tablet's surface is hindering you from really getting those important connections between adjoining forms which is so important to getting a figure to spatially 'read'. Perhaps it is having almost too much confidence (not to be confused with cockiness, which I don't read at all) ~ but perhaps that great exercise for beginners would also be useful to an advanced artist like you ~ flipping the reference upside~down, and drawing from the reference that way. I think it might slow you down and allow you the focus to really look at the reference in a new way. This, I am convinced, would also affect your drawing style at the most basic level.

I hope you do not take these comments as being overly critical ~ I really see so much good stuff in your drawings, but think that the book 'High Impact Drawing' would really give you a lot in terms of advancing in that particular method. :)

Great to see your work, and look forward to seeing more! :)

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
09-17-2005, 12:17 AM
Hi Rebecca
Worked on this a little more. Feet legs face whole figure really.
Decided to leave brush strokes in the original state for this one.
Trying for that expressive descriptive brush stoke oil painting look.
Still a little more detail left to do. Under neck hair feet etc.
Decided against water fall and jungle.
She doesn't have that personality or look.
You're right again
Looks more like an Aphrodite.
Maybe sitting on the edge of cloud in sky
With ruins from antiquity, Olympus behind her.
Vague and cloudlike - mirage looking.
Reuben-ish allegory type of thing.
Will have to think on it a little more.

#1 original color pallette
#2 light green tint added
#3 light peachy tint on top of green tint added
#4 adjusted saturation and value and brightness
#5 face from #1

Once more I can't decide.
Need opinions - Anyone's and everyone's are welcome
and appreciated
Take care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/37.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/38.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/39.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/40.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Face.jpg

lanternkid
09-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Hehe thanks Rebeccak, I'll still be visiting these forums regularly though (cuz they're addictive :thumbsup: ), just not drawing stuffs for the threads :sad:. Ahn, and thanks for your comments and stuff, I is honoured, seriously :) Unn just as a sidenote, I think I might've been misleading in the other post; I'm not in college yet: in Australia you can take legal studies as a subject for the high school certificate (umm, kinda like your SAT things?), sorry for the confusion :blush:

To answer your question, umm. I started drawing about four years ago, after seeing the artworks done by manga/anime artists. Ah, I dunno what to write...I found that Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain book at the library in about eighth grade and read it. I had my first life-drawing classes just after I joined CGTalk, so the combo of reading the Anatomy forum threads and having life-drawing really taught me lots, and I'm not sucking up :cool: That's it, I think.

Spirit Dreamer I like the first one and the fourth one, though I think the fourth one mightn't work with the background you're gonna do on account of it being so high-contrast...

Dark3d ahh you can get the form down so well quickly :eek:

Okii seeyou, I think I already wrote too much...:blush:

Rebeccak
09-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Spirit Dreamer,

Wow, this latest piece is looking fantastic! I think that this and your piece for OFDW 001 are really your best so far, and it's great to see how consistent you are in these pieces. :) Keep going, you know what you are doing...I think in your variations, you tend to make the colors go too 'hot', and I always like your neutral variations better. Neutral tones + a bit of saturation here in there is much more pleasing to my eye than an all~round saturated piece, which seems to burn out my retinas. ;)

Great stuff, definitely keep going! :thumbsup:

moonlantern,

WOW, only in high school! That is seriously impressive! :eek: ROFL, I think that had I been as good as you are now in high school, I would be in the stratosphere now. :scream: Well, cheers to you, it's great to see such a young person with a lot of talent! :thumbsup:

Lol, no, it's nice to hear about peoples' backgrounds, so thank you for telling us about yourself. Is there a law and art double~major in colleges there? :) I'm sure you could do very well at both. :thumbsup:

Anyway, great to have you here, and best of luck with your current studies. Glad to see you on the forum! :)

~Rebeccak

Slux
09-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi everyone a lot of nice pieces so far ... good work :thumbsup:
Ok I'am little late but as I promised in another thread here I'am
Ok nothing special as usual ... good old paper and pencil
The scan doesn't look very good ... hmm my scaner is crap :sad: ...
but anyway here it is ...

http://draw.sluxweb.net/figure_drawing003/scan-small.jpg

- Slux

Rebeccak
09-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Slux,

Lol, as usual, your 'nothing special as usual' piece is pretty special ~ nice work here, and as I would expect, your shading is quite consistent and very soothing to view. This is quite a nice, complete piece which I think anyone would be proud to claim as their own. ;)

I do think the pose looks a bit stiff, and I think this is just a matter of putting down more loose, gestural lay~in lines before committing to the final lines. But this is a minor criticism. Keep going, if you have time, please do the second pose ~ and I look forward to your continued valued participation! :)

~Rebeccak

Slux
09-17-2005, 10:11 PM
to Rebbeca
I'am glad you like it and thanks for crits ...
dunno if I will draw second pose .. hmm may be I will but for now I think I will try to draw this one in Photoshop ... because I really need to work on my skin painting :) I have painted skin only few times and results weren't very good ... probably because I have always painted from my memory .... so this should be interesting lesson :)

- Slux

Rebeccak
09-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Slux,

Painting sounds like a great idea! Just so you're aware, OFDW 004 opens tomorrow or Monday...but as you know, all OFDWs remain continuously open, so I would love it if you would continue on your piece in digital format. I'm sure your results will be well~worth the wait. :)

Note to everone: our model for OFDW 004 will be our own zhuzhu, who is a model in real life and has an amazing physique. Some of his poses are partially nude, and I trust that our audience here is mature enough to handle one of our own members here at CGTalk volunteering for the OFDW. Please be as respectful to zhuzhu as you would to our current model in your depictions and in your interactions with zhuzhu, who is an extremely valuable contributor to our Forum, and who has been incredibly generous to volunteer his great photographs. :)

~Rebeccak

drawMonger
09-18-2005, 03:55 AM
here's my attempt at the other model...i couldn't resist doing some photoshop touchup on the head of the figure ( :twisted: ) Also added a bigger study of the head for fun.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a333/drawmonger/157ab102.jpg

Great work all!! :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
09-18-2005, 04:35 AM
drawMonger,

Great to see you go after the second pose after working so hard on the first...kudos! :thumbsup:

The shading on her face and upper torso are quite nice...and I really like the shading you have done in the bkgrd ~ the consistency is quite nice.

The bit that I think could use a little refinement is the area along the right side of her ribcage...her side right beneath her rib cage is too flat, and there should be a bit of an indentation where her last right rib curves in...as is, there is sort of one continuous line which is making her form there look a bit less organic. This is a relatively easy fix.

Her left breast is a bit saggy ~ breasts as you know are essentially round forms, and it's easy to get the perspective a bit off on them...this is easily remedied in a digital format. Her arms seem a bit thin, but I think the overall sense of proportion is rather good...with a few minor tweaks, I think this drawing could become quite strong. :)

I like the up~close facial study you've done...it's nicely considered, and again, I appreciate the delicacy of your shading. I think this drawing could be strengthened if the area around the eye were given more depth ~ currently, the eye appears to be sitting on the surface of the face in an unconnected way, when it is situated within an eyesocket that has a reasonable amount of depth. The ear is a bit too close to the eye...additionally, the top of the ear should align with the eyebrow and the base of the ear with the nose...so that's a good rule to bear in mind. Finally, don't place a heavy outline around the edges of the face until you feel absolutely confident of its shape. :)

These are all nitpicky things, but I think you've done two really nice drawings ~ and I am eager to see if you will be painting this pose as well. :)

~Rebeccak

Samanthie
09-18-2005, 04:46 AM
Hi,
I am sooooo late getting anything done on this image. This time around I've had a very frustrating time with it. The arms are really hard to get right and finally I had to totally redraw her on my sketchpad and start over...still I think the proportions are off. Here is what I have so far.

Rebeccak
09-18-2005, 06:17 AM
Samanthie,

Don't worry, you'll get it...:) Some poses are funny, I think it's somewhat psychological...if we don't really like certain poses, they're harder to resolve. This is a rather funny pose, as the arms are tilted in a somewhat awkward way...I think they key to figuring out their shape and position is to look at the negative space. Are you purposely working with the image flipped horizontally? Perhaps it might also help to work on it upside down for a bit? Just a suggestion. :)

I think the torso is looking really good ~ the thing that I notice is that the head is a bit large for the torso as it is...I think there's something with the thickness of the neck and the area beneath the chin that is bothering me...I think it just requires thinning and a bit of sculpting/refining to make what you already have work. :)

EDIT: I think that a minor problem with the face is the forehead...it juts out a bit too much and is a bit squarish, giving her something of a vulcan look. I would just scale this back a bit and refine the profile to your satisfaction. :)

Could the legs be a bit longer and thinner, do you think? The model is rather tall, and in this piece, she is looking like someone of a shorter stature. I think if you elongated her features, she would read a bit more proportionally.

Finally, I think there is too much consistency in the highlighting of the figure...she has gotten quite light quickly and all over the place, which means that she is flattening out a bit...if the majority of the figure is a bit darker in value, with only key areas with a high highlight, then I think the figure would read as more dimensional and believable. :)

You're totally doing fine, and sometimes it just requires stepping back and leaving the image alone for awhile, and then coming back to it with fresh eyes. You're doing great, and I look forward to seeing your update! :)

~Rebeccak

Samanthie
09-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Thanks for all of your helpful advice Rebecca. Yes I'm working with this flipped horizontally on purpose.:) I'll try it upside down as you suggested and also will elongate the legs, fix the vulcan forehead.lol. I kept thinking she looked too short and I think her torso is not wide enough. Also yes I did hilite her basically all over. My shadows looked so harsh when I added them. I may be in too much of a hurry. What is really hard for me is the negative space between the arms and head. I see the shapes there but can't seem to get them..Will keep at it and much thanks to you again Rebecca.:)

Rebeccak
09-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Samanthie,

No problem. :) I'm sure you will 'get' the arms...even in the photo, they look a bit wierd, so I think it's a fight to make them look normal from one's own perspective. Anyway, kudos for tackling this difficult pose, and much luck! :)

~Rebeccak

drawMonger
09-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the pointers Rebecca!! I'd love to paint this one, but have to go back into propeller-head mode for a few days :( ...although looking forward to painting zhuzhu in the next workshop.

Rebeccak
09-18-2005, 08:04 AM
drawMonger,

No worries whatsoever...definitely looking forward to your participation in OFDW 004! Thanks for all your hard work in the Workshop. :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

pixelkeg
09-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Hey Rebeccak just wanted to say thanks and can't wait for OFDW 004. :)

Got swamped with work this week so coudn't take my image further :( , but I'm happy with it as a character design, might make her in 3D :)

Rebeccak
09-18-2005, 06:11 PM
pixelkeg,

Great! A 3D character would be awesome...you're also free to do a 3D model for the OFDWs, just so you know. :) Stahlberg did this for OFDW 001, it was cool to see. :)

I'll be posting the OFDW 004 either today or tomorrow. :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
09-18-2005, 09:07 PM
b2,

Sorry for the delay in posting this review...but here t'is. :) All I really did (and this is just a recommendation, mind you ;)) is to enlarge the legs a bit, particularly her hanging leg, and that's about it:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20003/b2_1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20003/b2_2.jpg

In order to accomodate her longer leg, I had to enlarge the canvas size a bit vertically.
The other change I would suggest making would be to adjust the face a bit so that it reads more dimensionally...currently, her face is reading as though it's all on one plane, and thus a little bit flat. I would work on the eye a bit to make it sit more in the socket, and perhaps even shorten the length of her entire face vertically. Bear in mind that these are only suggestions. :)

Great work, and I hope to see more! :)

~Rebeccak

Samanthie
09-19-2005, 01:24 AM
Ok lots of changes made.
Probably there is too much definition in the neck area. I think the arms are better although still not 100%. Updated the face and forehead, elongated the legs and even the torso. Still looking short in the torso to me but better. Made changes to the sides where the rib cage is because it was too small after the other changes. Lost some detail in the hair area but I can put them back in later. I am working on adding in some color to the overly hilited areas. Worked on feet as well.
Also I used the deformation tool to tilt her just a little bit to the left.

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 03:14 AM
Samanthie,

Good to see your new post! :)

I think the key ingredient which the figure is missing right now is a rhythm in Opposing Curves.

Here's just a little demo showing the opposing curves in the torso and upper leg of the figure:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20003/samanthie_Review.jpg

In practice, you can really draw from side to side, to get that flow going. It might be useful to create a new layer, and redraw, in a visible color, the figure with more rhythm to it's construction. I think this will definitely help to give life to the figure, and make it more vibrant. :)

Also, the face is looking much better. The forehead still needs a bit of refining, but of course this is still in the initial stages, and it's good that you are working the entire figure at once, and gradually bringing up the rendering.

Great work so far, and keep pushing those opposing curves, and you will certainly get there! :)

~Rebeccak

Samanthie
09-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Thank you Rebecca.:) I'll try the opposing curves this afternoon. Thanks for all of your time and energy you put into these workshops. Really great of you!:thumbsup:

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Samanthie,

You're totally welcome, thank you, too! :)

~Rebeccak

PSR
09-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Finally for this one. My colour version:

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/3898/nudeseatcolour8sn.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

PSR
09-20-2005, 12:00 AM
And a close up of the head. Hope that's ok:

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/3071/closeup014ki.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Samanthie
09-20-2005, 03:09 AM
Rebecca I am so anxious to get over to 004.
I know this isn't quite finished yet and think I will need to take your opposing curves tutorial.:)
I have given this image much more detail and color. I tried to fix the forehead a little even though her face needs more definition. Forgot to add the ankle bracelet.lol

PSR...very lovely image you have so far. Like her coloring and face very much.

Slux
09-20-2005, 11:38 AM
to PSR: Hi that looks great. I was trying this one too but it didn't turn out very well yet. I need to work on it but anyway ... drawing skin is quite difficult .. at least for me. but your pic looks good I like especially face :thumbsup:

- Slux

PSR
09-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Hi, Slux and Samanthie. Thanks for the compliments.

Slux, you should post your result, even if you are not too happy with it. You could get some pointers, that can help overcome problem areas very quickly.

Your drawing is already very good. If you are going to paint in Photoshop, have a look at Samanthie's tutorial. Lots of good tips for getting skin tones and blending.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=274082

I found it very helpful for this picture, (thanks Samanthie). Keep going :thumbsup:

b2dermawan, Love the Ostrich feathers

Rebeccak
09-20-2005, 02:11 PM
PSR,

Hmm, all I can see are the image tags for your piece...is this just me? Definitely would like to see your work! :)

Samanthie,

Wow, this has really come a long way, and if you would prefer to move over to 004, I would go ahead...it's good to be in the thick of things, as they say. :) Will post more comments on this later, but you've done a really great job on this, and even if it isn't totally finished, it could get there pretty quickly, I think. Why not dive into 004, as the first shot of zhuzhu of the three is really the best ~ and then work on this one as well, if you have time? :)

Slux,

I definitely agree with PSR, definitely post your work! :)

~Rebeccak

Slux
09-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Hi
Thanks for your encouragement :) sure I will post it later its just not finished yet ...

to PSR: thx for link it it could be quite useful :) ...

- Slux

Rebeccak
09-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Guys / Gals,

For those of you who do not know,

OPEN FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOP 004 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=278425)

is Now Open! As those of you who have participated in the OFDWs, all OFDWs remain continuosly open, despite the Opening of new OFDWs every 2 weeks.

I hope that new folks will join us for OFDW 004, which began this past Monday. :)

~Rebeccak

shyamshriram
09-22-2005, 04:55 AM
I hope im not too late here :|

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/shyamshriram3/22-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/shyamshriram3/22-2.jpg

Rebeccak
09-22-2005, 09:34 PM
shyamshriram,

Some beautiful work here! I checked out your website, and it looks like you have some really awesome illustrations...it's great to have you on board!

I like the way you break down form in organic blocks...it's nice to see the construction lines left behind, I think it makes a drawing more interesting. You do a great job of thinking 'through' forms, which is really helping your figures to read. I rather like your first drawing better than the second, as it retains this sketch quality, vs. the second piece, which is well~drawn, but maybe a little too clean.

Great stuff, and looking forward to seeing more! :)

~Rebeccak

shyamshriram
09-23-2005, 04:51 AM
:) Thanx Rebecca, WOW i thought the same thing...i didnt like that second one..that looks too cleaned.
will post more, thanx for watching my work and the feedback :)

Shyam

Rebeccak
09-23-2005, 04:53 AM
shyam,

No problem! I'm going to get cut off by the midnight server backup, but we're happy to have you aboard! :)

~Rebeccak

b2dermawan
09-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Rebeccak: Wow, almost missed your paint-over there! Thanks for taking the time and doing that for me! i definetely can see what you mean, indeed sometime i'm too afraid to play w exaggerations though the results could be vital for the overall pic as you've shown. And another weakness is with faces:blush: ! Thanks again for pointing those for me really!. Will definetely try to improve in those areas.

PSR: wow, great work man! overall great values and very natural tones. my only 2-cents is her ear area, looks a lil unfinished to me.

shyamshriram: Very nice sketches:thumbsup: , man! definetely want to see more from you.

Rebeccak
09-23-2005, 05:34 PM
b2,

No problem! Thanks for all the great work you're doing and comments you're giving to everyone. :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Pam
09-24-2005, 07:13 PM
really nice sketches everyone I will be watching this thread :)

Rebeccak
09-24-2005, 11:15 PM
Pam,

Welcome to CGTalk, and to the Anatomy Forum! :) Just so you know, we are currently on Open Figure Drawing Workshop 004 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=278425) (this thread is for OFDW 003), but of course I encourage you to check out all OFDWs, which are linked here::)

Tutorials, Workshops, Anatomy Reviews & More ... [links within] (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=273525)
(See Post #3)

Hope you will join us, or post your work on any of the appropriate threads here on the Anatomy Forum! :)

Some threads are not as frequented as others, and less frequented threads disappear, but are still on the server.

You merely need to show ALL threads by doing the following at the bottom of the Anatomy Forum:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Life%20Drawings/sort-order-threads.jpg

~Rebeccak

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2005, 11:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.