PDA

View Full Version : Living Toons - Character - Culann

Culann
11-05-2002, 08:48 PM
The Living Toons theme has a lot of potential, so I decided to participate in this one. I'm currently working out ideas, so expect some sketches to show up relatively soon. :)

Culann
11-08-2002, 12:40 PM
Right, here is a model sheet of kinds.:D Lildragon stated that we should do one every challenge, and since I never did, I thought it was about time. It's basically just a personal reminder of the style I'm going to use in the final pic, so it's not very refined, but it'll do the job. :)

art7sayan
11-09-2002, 05:25 AM
I like the style a lot Culann... Go on! :bounce:

Culann
11-09-2002, 10:40 AM
Thanks art7sayan, I will. :)
I'm sketching out the layout for the final picture now, which should be a bit more substantial than the model sheet. :wip:

Iguiniz.X.
11-11-2002, 11:37 AM
He that looks good... but for you to I have the coment give the dude a bigger head at the back.. Maybe it is just me but the head is tottaly out of balance and that makes it a bit weard.. Even when it is a toon style.

:cool:

Culann
11-11-2002, 06:20 PM
Thanks Iguiniz.X.

About the head, yes it's off-balance, but even if I altered the headshape it would probably remain like that. That said, I did change the head a little and it looks a tad more realistic now. :)
I also made a pose sketch, which shows the pose I will use in the final composition. It's only a part of the whole image though, the other half is a little more complicated. Hopefully, it will follow soon.
My favourite hobby is writing, by the way.

Tommy Lee
11-12-2002, 01:35 AM
keep going...big nose by the way(Like mine):)

Waiting for the first clean scetches.

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

Culann
11-13-2002, 06:33 PM
Hey Tommy, nice to see you're back.
I'm not going to give you clean sketches though...:)
Today, I started doing the second part of the composition.( it may end up being the only part, I'm still not sure)
Now, I don't know if this WIP is going to evolve into the final picture, or if it's just going to remain a colouring test, I'm still mulling that over. I'm worried that it might not be toony enough, I was concentrating more on the caricature aspect. Any comments would be appreciated.:hmm:
I'm aware that the WIP is a bit untidy, but considering that this is pieced together from two scans of a far-too-large-for-my-scanner(phew) A2 sheet, I think it's ok for now.

Tommy Lee
11-14-2002, 01:02 AM
Sure its toony!:beer:

Nothing more to say yet!

Tommy Lee:p

Culann
11-14-2002, 06:16 PM
Worked some more on it today. It's still far from finished, but looking at the date I don't really need to rush things. ;)

wildsheepchase
11-14-2002, 06:18 PM
Hey! This is looking pretty good. I like the method you're using to color it.:thumbsup:

Culann
11-14-2002, 06:22 PM
After colouring my last challenge entry digitally, I thought I could just as well do this one traditionally again. Progress is much quicker that way. (At least for me, I'm not that adept at digital colouring)

Tommy Lee
11-15-2002, 01:20 AM
YEAH BABY, YEAH!!!!:wavey:

Gamoron
11-16-2002, 05:17 PM
Looks good. Indianna Jones influence?

Culann
11-16-2002, 08:04 PM
Indiana Jones? Who? ;)
Yes, I was aiming for the archetypal adventurer look. It was indeed inspired by Indy, although I left out the bullwhip and fedora, considering them too obvious homages. I made some progress, but I didn't want to flood this thread with WIP's showing only marginal progress, so the next update will most likely contain a few more elements, including a reference to the hobby itself. Back to work then...:wip:

Culann
11-17-2002, 10:51 PM
Update...
This WIP-overview was tacked together pretty quickly, so if something doesn't look right, that's the reason. It's just to show that I'm still working on it.:)

Tommy Lee
11-18-2002, 06:42 AM
That comes along great...:thumbsup:
This will be a great piece. Till the next update.

Cheerz:beer:

Tommy Lee

Culann
11-19-2002, 11:55 AM
Well, Tommy, I'll certainly try to meet your expectations. :)
Here's yet another update, again pieced together rather quickly. Somehow it looks better on paper, I'll have to try to optimize the way it looks once scanned in. Anyway, back to work.
;)

Tommy Lee
11-19-2002, 11:59 AM
gettinŽbetter and better!:thumbsup:

Maybe you should take a photo of the finished one, if ya have a digi-cam. Thats the best way to bring drawings from paper to pc.

Tommy Lee

Tommy Lee
11-19-2002, 12:01 PM
And by the way....

Nice to see a challengepiece on nonvirtuel paper.....

I think IŽll do that in the next challenge too.:bounce:

Culann
11-19-2002, 06:58 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera, but the scanner'll do. I just need to scan it at a higher resolution. I will manage :)
About the non-virtual thing - well, it was certainly more practical for me, because my knowledge of digital painting is relatively limited, plus I've only got access to Paint Shop Pro 7. A nice program, but certainly no match for Painter and the like. And then there's the fact that I'm working on some pieces for my portfolio, and this is good pratice. Let's hear it for traditional media!......*clears throat*....'till the next update, then.. :p

Slacker
11-19-2002, 07:09 PM
Wooot! hehe. I really like the burning pencil for a torch! keep it up. :wavey:

Culann
11-19-2002, 07:15 PM
Thanks, I most certainly will! <-- (short reply for a change :))

Culann
11-23-2002, 12:02 PM
Another update.
I'm getting quite close to finishing it, it should just take a few more days. I haven't worked that much on it over the last couple of days, thanks to the nefarious powers of the LOTR EE DVD :D
But I'm back to 'normal' now, so...I will keep you posted on any progress.

Gamoron
11-27-2002, 03:09 PM
Nice work. What's the treasure you're after?

Culann
11-28-2002, 12:22 PM
Update!

Gamoron: Well, there was a reference to the treasure he was hunting in the original text I wrote for the parchments in the background, but it got lost since I obviously couldn't write the whole thing down when only parts of the pages were visible.:hmm: But I did include the important part of the treasure's name. It's one of the two CG Talk homage's I included. Spot them all!
I'm nearing completion. All that remains to do is to brighten the aura around the angel, complete the third parchment and add a few more minor details.

Tommy Lee
11-28-2002, 02:09 PM
Yeah Baby...Looks awesome:applause:

Traditional rules:beer:

Tommy Lee

Culann
11-30-2002, 06:46 PM
Alright, it's finally finished!
Here it is, I'm quite proud of it.:)
Thanks for the supportive comments everyone!

Culann
11-30-2002, 06:52 PM
More detailed view of the face:

Culann
11-30-2002, 06:57 PM
And here's the 'writing angel'. That's it, unless anyone wants to see a close-up of the map, or something. I somehow doubt it...

Slacker
12-01-2002, 12:47 AM
nice job ! :applause:

jeroentje
12-01-2002, 09:58 AM
Indiana Culann... haha, great idea :thumbsup:

Culann
12-11-2002, 06:31 PM
Well, I guess I won't enter the next challenge, considering my entries always vegetate in the lower ranks of the voting site. It's just doesn't make sense to spend so much time on an entry which eventually gets about as much votes as a rough concept sketch. It was a nice practice opportunity though. :hmm:

jeroentje
12-11-2002, 06:44 PM
Don't you think it's fun just to participate? There is allways someone better (I never won :shrug: ) and you're certainly not ending last... (I was last in the texturing challenge. Last out of 2. How deep can you sink?).
Would be too bad to loose you here. Specially because I think you're getting better over the last months.
I did give you points btw.

Keep your head up, Jeroen

Culann
12-11-2002, 06:54 PM
Of course it's fun to participate. And I certainly didn't think I'd win the thing! But y'know, I got quite attached to my entry and seeing it down there just isn't very uplifting. Especially when several unfinished pieces are above my finished entry.:shrug:
Participating did help me improve, but I just don't know if I can muster the time in the future. (I have a portfolio to complete and a book to write :surprised )
Anyway, thanks for the comment.

wildsheepchase
12-12-2002, 12:06 AM
I here you on that, Culann. I personally get a little agitated when there's an entry that doesn't even have a thread started and it has more votes than people who have been working their ass off for the whole month. I thought the whole point of the challenge was to be a 'work in progress' challenge. Maybe I'm wrong:shrug: I'll keep entering, because I enjoy the interaction through out the month and following people's progress.
Anyhow, I think your entry turned out great. The concept was unique and I liked how you used the traditional media. Hope to see more in the future:D

Gamoron
12-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Wildsheepchase, I'm behind you on the need of a thread with your entry. Don't even vote for them. Although it doesn't say anywhere you need a thread to enter. but...

Culann don't drop out this is nothing. Take it from me I've done worse. I've spent lots of money to have a showing of my paintings for one month. Did I sell anything? No. Did anyone like them? My friends. The sad thing is not everybody is going to like our work. I haven't won yet. But I'm still going to vote. I'm blown away that mine is where its at. Like I said to Kirt, you don't need the votes, just your peers appreciation.

Keep em coming. There's gonna be ups and there's gonna be downs.

And if you're feeling down, there's nothing like getting out of your head with :beer:

Culann
12-12-2002, 07:08 PM
Thanks for your kind comments people. :)

wildsheepchase: I completely agree with you, it's really annoying to see those thread-less entries. Who guarantees that they didn't just copy the pic from somewhere? Or that it's their work?
Also, don't the rules state that you have to post WIP's? Ah well...

Gamoron: It's not like I'm totally shattered by my failing to rise to the higher ranks, after all I never did before, but it just angers me that some thread-less entries scored higher. I also get the feeling that once your entry isn't visible on the top of the page, people are not interested in scrolling down and therefore refrain from voting for those lower entries. :shrug:

Tommy Lee
12-13-2002, 05:51 AM
You did a great Job culann:applause:
You got my vote..and it was a five. Ya earned it.

I also have to agree with wilsheepchase. I think that the entries without a thread should be deleted. I am very angry about that....
I will start a thread about that.:annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

Anyway,...superb picture ya did and I am a hard customer for real.

Cheerz my friend

Tommy Lee

Kirt
12-13-2002, 11:37 AM
Sorry Culann ... I really wish I could remove my entry from the challenge since I missed the deadline. I think your entry is great also. I voted for ya'.

Don't give up on the challenges. The site is new, maybe we can convince the admins to make a few changes (like all entries must have a thread and the ability to remove your entries if you desire).

Hopefully, you'll continue to try. IMO the best part about these challenges is that you have the opportunity to try new things and create a new piece for your portfolio. Sure, winning is nice ... but participating has it's rewards too. :thumbsup:

Culann
12-13-2002, 06:27 PM
Tommy: Well, thanks! Always nice if someone likes one's pics. :)

Kirt: Hey, I'd be the last one to ask you to remove your entry, after all, you did complete it eventually. It's in your thread, for everyone to check out. (If they actually do that is questionable, but who cares ;) )

Tommy Lee
12-13-2002, 07:29 PM
@Kirt: I would kill ya if ya remove that pic...grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Seriously its great. Even the unfinished pic(Detailshot of ya) is damn good enough for the entry. I love it and also the final pic wich is a superlative.

@Culann: Here is the thread I started. May ya give ya 2 cents there too:http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32210

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.