PDA

View Full Version : VFS Short "Gate Keeper"

shiaopoo
09-04-2005, 05:55 PM
http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d52yenting/title_new2.jpg

Hi everyone My name is Yen-Ting(Dony) Chiang, I just graduated from the 3d animation program at VFS,this is is my final project (Short Film),and I'm looking for a job as animator or 3D artist,I also create another animation reel
for job that I will post separately.

Following is the link (Right Click and Save As...)

http://www.donychiang.com/short.wmv [Mirror] (http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d52yenting/short.wmv)

It's 320X240 Low Res Version.

Any commend are welcome.

=========================================================
Contact info:

Yen-Ting (Dony)Chiang
1-778-881-1261
3d52yenting@vfs.com
http://student.vfs.com/~3d52yenting/ (http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d52yenting/)

stung
09-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Great job, man! I love the design which is combined with Chinese painting and cute style.

Heber
09-04-2005, 09:41 PM
nice short, i like the overall style you were able to achieve. congrats. :)

shakii
09-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Hey Dony, may I say a job well done on your reel.. that was a LOT of animations for a student reel! How long did it take you to do all that!? :surprised Every shot that contained the eagle was very nice, and your opening shots are awesome!

However, I do think the reel was too long, try to keep it within 2 minutes, show your best works. Some of the less quality animations will turn your potential recruiter off, such as...

0:12-0:18 Animation test on the girl pushing
-Perhaps keeping 0:14-0:17 is fine, but don`t use the start and beginning..

0:52-1:10 Lipsync
-Big guy with small mouth speaking fast.. that spells disaster for lipsync even before you've started! Even tho the expressions on the eyes are FANTASTIC.. the lipsync just doesn't cut it.. :sad:

And try to keep the lifedrawings, concept sketches short.. not saying that it's not important, but the people watching this reel care more about the animations than any thing, so dragging this part out would leave a bad aftertaste.

Nonetheless, with a better packaging of your stuff then you are there! Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Edit:
-t0nY

shiaopoo
09-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Stung:

Thanks very much for your support,I always remembered that you told me to push my stuff further and further in the lab.I think it really helped me work hard all the past time.

Heber:

Thanks for your opinion,I will try to pay more attetion on the point you mentioned about to
make my stuff better.

Shakii:

I really appreciate a lot about your detail opinions,it helps me a lot.I think you are right,I will
keep it short.

It took me 6 month from the story,design to finish the short,and I spent one more month to add some animation and combine with some shot of my short to make the animation reel.

Thanks all

blz
09-04-2005, 11:55 PM
this one is very good ,i enjoy watching it.
good work!

mia.alba
09-05-2005, 02:18 AM
I really liked the style of this piece. Different from others that I've seen.

You told a great story in under 2 minutes. I wish there was more to see!

Superb work. Keep it up and the best of luck to you!

losttogether
09-05-2005, 10:19 AM
i enjoy watching this short very much. The style is really good and special.
you r a good story teller. good job! but only one thing, i agree with tony about the drawing and sketch part, its was a big too long for showing still images...maybe you should make it shorter.
keep up and congrats.:)

shiaopoo
09-05-2005, 02:30 PM
blz :

I'm glad you like it,I'll keep up making better and better

mia.alba:

thanks for your commend,actually the story of this short could be longer because
the scale is huge,but for a reel I decided to make it short and it really took me
lots of time on animatic stage.

ally:

I'm glad you like it,when I decided to make a chinese story that time,i felt that was very risky,but I thought the first short to me is about creating a style,and I also feel happy with the result.

about my animation reel,I'll edit it again and update it later.thanks

jonbie
09-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Great Job men finally we can see your work, let me tell u your work was one of the best of the class, congrats and good luck men.

shiaopoo
09-05-2005, 09:37 PM
thanks a lot,in our class we two both face the difficulty to
creat a short film and always discussed about it.it was really fun and
we really played with animation.

Good luck to you too

Severian
09-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Hey Dony,

Great job on the final reel. You worked your ass off for this thing and it really shows. Hope you're catching up on your sleep now. Congratulations, you'll go far. See you around man.

Chris Paul

KENLEE
09-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Great job!!I knew it you are a hard worker since term 3 , now~finally we can watch your talent . Very Chinese style! cool~~. you will get a job , just keep your faith and you will get it

shiaopoo
09-06-2005, 07:51 AM
now I just used VFS server for this file because I thought it is small file(19MB),
if everyone feel very slow then I should try to find some host else.

KEN:

Thanks for your opinion,did you see I put you on my credit ...haha,yap,you really encourage me a lot,thanks a lot.

Chris:

Now I finally can take a rest now,it was a long long journey.

shiaopoo
09-07-2005, 07:04 AM
Hi,everyone,I already had my file put on faster file server.
I think it would be way more faster than VFS server.

you could download the file from new link now.:)

Dony

blz
09-07-2005, 07:55 AM
may i just say this one is great
great job and very good skills
congratulations and good luck :)

shakes825
09-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Great job Dony. You put a lot of work into this thing and it shows. I'm sure you will have lots of success. :thumbsup:

Brandon Shakley

Doobers
09-07-2005, 07:10 PM
hey dude the short looks great! I'm impressed with all the other animation tests you've already done since finishing it, you're such a hard worker! anyways good luck with job hunting, you applying for the singapore ILM?

MingDynasty1368-1644
09-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Nice Nice, good job my friend. have a good luck on job hunt!

shiaopoo
09-07-2005, 11:03 PM
blz:Thanks again,man.I'm glad that you enjoy it.I'll keep up.

Brendon:Thank you man,I really hope I can find a job.

Jacob:nice to hear from you again,I will apply for that,how about you.have you started sending your reel?

Ming:Thank,good luck to you too.

noiqsheep
09-08-2005, 01:13 PM
wooot nice reel!!! i like your style and the animation
good work!

simon

typhoon_la
09-08-2005, 01:48 PM
After seeing your works, you show Chinese style and let feel great! Your works is better than before. I believe you become good animator
Great job!!I knew it you are a hard worker since term 3 , now~finally we can watch your talent . Very Chinese style! cool~~. you will get a job , just keep your faith and you will get it

typhoon_la
09-08-2005, 02:29 PM
After seeing your works, you let your Chinese style show into it. And I feel your work than before. I believe you will be a great animator in the future.

enggray
09-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Hey,I like all the style you have in this short, tensive pace, good animation in the chasing and fighting,music also match very well,the only thing I would say it's just little bit short,I wish it would be more,but anyway,Great job!!!

shiaopoo
09-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Simon:Thank you, hope everything go smoothly for your life in Taiwan.

Wei-La:I've been here one year and sometimes I miss the time in Taiwan,if I find a job and get some spare time,I will go back for a while to meet you.

Eng:I'm happy you like it,my goal of making a short film is just about making audience happy with that,that's everything.

humanbeing1984
09-11-2005, 06:55 PM
good work man, you got oyur own genre and overall it's a nice reel, good luck in the future:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
09-11-2005, 06:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.