PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave7.5 crashing on 2 common operations, any ideas?

4dartist
11-05-2002, 07:37 PM
Hey guys sorry to post a thread like this but i figure some of you have been through this maybe and might know a quick fix. I can work fine with lightwave crashing like this but i could work so much faster without them. Heres the deal, I really have lightwave crash no other time than these 2 times.
Info: Powermac G4 | Lightwave 7.5 | OS X | Duel 800something |
:arteest:
1st | About 60percent of the time, when i change a texture, and apply it, then hit render, BOOM it closes and OSX reports Lightwave quit unexpectently (can't spell) and thats all she wrote. Sometimes it will render fine after changing textures. Oh by change textures i mean using Image Maps, like change my colorchannel from facecolor01.tga to facecolor02.tga. Also it seems that i can do it 1 or 2 times and render fine but around the 3rd image applied or so it will close down when i hit F9.

2nd | Every other time i close lightwave, after hitting the little X or going to File|Close it will shutdown correctly and then report Lightwave has quit unexpectantly. And im affraid that its not saving preferences because i think lightwave saves them after you shutdown the program down.

For the images i have been using Targa files at 24bit , 32 seems not to work and i don't need an alpha so have been using 24. Maybe Lightwave doesnt like Targas dunno.
:cry:
Thanks for the help like always!

4dartist
11-05-2002, 08:06 PM
Does anyone use anything other than .tga for textures? I kinda new to Mac so i don't know what mac software likes. Maybe .tiff not sure, i know i dont want to use .jpg, and im perty sure i don't want to use photoshop files. Thanks for any suggestions.

policarpo
11-05-2002, 08:08 PM
for the first problem...try setting your Texture resolution detail to a lower setting...like 128, then and 512...and keep upping it until you don't experience the sudden crash...

what type of Video card do you have?

as for problem 2...i seem to recall similar problems. does it do the same thing if you choose. File > Quit?

hope this helps.

:)

Eugeny
11-05-2002, 09:09 PM
tga. is LW native format and Mac don't have any problem with working with tga ...

Try jpg instead of tga or any other format - LightWave work with most formats , even Photoshop psd ...

I had the problem with crashing on quit - but it was with LW7.0 and it was on OS-9. Lightwave was crashing on quit ("quit unexpectently" as u say) then i worked with heavy scenes with large textures ... This problem was disappeared then i added additional RAM to my Mac ( it was 512 Mb). May be u don't have enough RAM to handle the project ( it's bit strange because OS-X have fabulous virtual memory management ) ? Or your images in gigantic resolution ?
Did u expect this problem with other objects and other image sets?

4dartist
11-05-2002, 09:46 PM
Mac OS: X 10.2
Memory: 768
Processor: Dual 867 MHz Power PC G4
Video Card: GeForce 4 MX (wish it was a Ti)

Ill have to try closeing with File>Quit more but it has crashed doing that too, but i close that way a lot less often so ill try that now.

Eugeny : i'd rather not use Jpg hehe because of compresion but i thiink i will try some other file formats tho like you suggest to see if i get the same problem, and my maps arn't very large, most are 512 and the jeans texture is like 2000x2000 i think. All tga's atm.

Policarpo : ill try changing my texture reso to see if that helps but i have to find where you set that hehe. i've seen a setting change for it in backdrops but not textures, im sure ill find it tho. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks guys for the help, i hope to get this kink outta the system soon lol so ill try those thiings and get back to ya. I hope its not my GeForce4mx gah!

:surprised

fourd
11-06-2002, 06:31 PM
If you press "d" (in PC Version) for display properties, you set the texture resolution in there.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.