PDA

View Full Version : new to lightwave question

rrobnett
11-05-2002, 07:21 PM
when I do a boolean intersect operation on a sphere in the forground and disc in the back ground the resulting objects surface is no longer smooth at it's edges. Not doing a weld after the boolean operation helps a little but does not get rid of the problem. Is this normal or am I just performing it wrong.

Steve Warner
11-05-2002, 07:39 PM
When you say "not smooth" can you describe that in a little more detail? Is is the edge that's not smooth, or is it the sphere that's no longer smooth? Can you post a quick screengrab?

Steve

Steve Warner
11-05-2002, 07:58 PM
Is this what you're getting?

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/Tutorials/Boolean.gif

rrobnett
11-05-2002, 08:23 PM
:) Thanks for repying Steve

You are correct in your representation of my problem. When I say smooth I mean the sphere. I am currently trying to see if I can Screen capture what I am talking about

rrobnett
11-05-2002, 08:37 PM
This attachment shows the result of my boolean opeation notice that the face is no longer smooth.

Steve Warner
11-05-2002, 09:05 PM
Hi Rrobnett,

Boolean will typically play havoc with your model and tends to produce some unruly results. It works, but if you can achieve the same result with other methods, I would recommend doing so. Here are a couple of suggestions:

The Cheap Way:
Increase the smoothing angle in of your surface. This is one of those tricks that may or may not work. If it does, it will be a simple and quick fix. Likely, it will not work. :rolleyes:

The Long Way
You can go back to your object and begin deleting and recreating polys around the edges. If you have Edge Tools, it will make it easier as you can merge polys, but this is still a tedious process.

My Suggested Way
Your resulting object is a fairly simple shape. I would recommend placing the booleaned object in a background layer for reference and trying to recreate it by hand with other methods. This is a good way to start learning the modify tools. I'd start with a disc, bandsaw it or Julienne it so that it has enough divisions to bend correctly, then use the bend tool on it. Once you've got the bend correct, you can bevel the edge polys and you'll end up with a nice clean edge.

Boolean is a really cool too and can be a lifesaver, but it generally produces more polys than are required and also produces a mesh that can be a nightmare to edit later.

Hope this helps,

Steve

rrobnett
11-05-2002, 09:10 PM
:) Thanks Steve

I am sorry to see that this is just the way it is:annoyed:
I quess I'll just have to go back and rethink my design proccess

cooperation makesthe world go 'round:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.