PDA

View Full Version : Reel of Horror

machine_theater
09-04-2005, 03:00 PM
hey everyone. i just recently graduated from full sail university down in florida. this is the reel
that came out. its a concept art/modeling reel. i think it turned out pretty good i guess. i wished i'd had more time. right now i'm just looking for some freelance concept or modeling work until i get settled somewhere. thanks for looking i hope you like it.

its about 57mb. there's also some stuff on my website but i have a lot of work left to do on it.

www.machinetheater.com/demo%20reel/sm_reel.mov (http://www.machinetheater.com/demo%20reel/sm_reel.mov)

thedigitalmonkey
09-04-2005, 08:26 PM
There's some pretty cool modeling in here.

But if this is really your reel and you're looking to get a job, i don't think reviewers would watch more than the first ten seconds. The video portions are distracting, and if you want to use that concept, they need to be scaled down to take maybe 5 times less screen time. No need to keep showing the camera zooming into the comic book. Also the turnarounds of your models are kind of choppy. Take those nice models and make a reel that just shows 20 seconds each of them spinning.

machine_theater
09-05-2005, 05:09 PM
thanks man.

yeah i know what you mean. i was just trying to come up with an interesting way to show my concept art. but i see what you're saying. reviewers just want to get to the meat of the reel basically. i'm thinking i'll do anther one after i texture them and animate them probably.

Scithious
09-05-2005, 05:19 PM
your an amazing artist but id hve to agree with thedigitalmonkey about the portions...but other then that great work man

blz
09-05-2005, 05:57 PM
wow,quite original concept
good modelling
:)

stepington
09-05-2005, 09:12 PM
I like the presentation of your reel. In my opinion it holds the viewer with a blank, "What the f***k?" moment - then a "Holy MOLEY!" moment. It's bold and for me it works well.

Great stuff! I find myself desiring to see them textured and moving. Very good life to them despite! yep, great modeling. . .

Lalecp
09-05-2005, 09:25 PM
I like the presentation of your reel. In my opinion it holds the viewer with a blank, "What the f***k?" moment - then a "Holy MOLEY!" moment. It's bold and for me it works well.

Great stuff! I find myself desiring to see them textured and moving. Very good life to them despite! yep, great modeling. . .

lol i couldnt have said it any better myself

my only crit: when u show the actual model the model seems to be going all over the place and it makes it hard to see the detail, its spining on like 10 different axis at a time while zooming,

but very nice concept are and verynice models

a very creative way of showing off concept art, but i think it could be executed in a better fashion. for example the way it was set up it didnt make me think of things that were evil, especially with the upbeat music and the lighting, it didnt seem too horrifying

other than that great job:cool:

BillSpradlin
09-06-2005, 07:09 AM
The camera moves around the models really need a lot of work, and buddy up with someone who is doing lighting to light your models properly. The lighting was blowing out and clipping in a lot of areas and a ton of detail was lost. Good luck.

Joblh
09-06-2005, 07:37 AM
i agree with billspradlin, the camera moves and lighting is pretty bad. Modelling is fantastic though :thumbsup:

machine_theater
09-06-2005, 10:03 PM
thanks you everyone for your compliments and criticisms. i agree with most of them. i spent like a day or two lighting and doing cameras in order to make my deadline for class. but i'll do another one soon and spend more time on everything else besides just modeling. thanks again for watching it.

machine_theater
09-06-2005, 10:03 PM
thank you everyone for your compliments and criticisms. i agree with most of them. i spent like a day or two lighting and doing cameras in order to make my deadline for class. but i'll do another one soon and spend more time on everything else besides just modeling. thanks again for watching it.

webhead
09-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Yes, the set-up is too long. I don't think prospective employers will want to wait for it. I thought I noticed profanity in one of your word balloons in the comic book.
That might offend some prospective employers as well. Something to consider.
Interesting style anyway.

CGTalk Moderation
09-06-2005, 10:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.