PDA

View Full Version : Character - Mesh Help

fourd
11-05-2002, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure if I got the flow of my poly's going right. I've not built but one character (a fish) in my life. This is my first humanoid character and it's going pretty slow. I know there are some excellent character modelers in here, so maybe you could give me a hand,

I submit this picture to be marked up, critiqued and abused.

Thanks.
Donald

4dartist
11-05-2002, 07:50 PM
Hey fourd not a bad start for your experience hehe. Your geometry seems to be not bad.

Pro's: You have the geometry flowing in a very good manner. Circle around the lips, circles around the eyes, and your five corners seem to be in ok places. You might be able to reduce the amount of 5 corners behind the eyes but if it gives you no problems then nevermind hehe.

Cons: Without going into detail, i think the spacing on your polygons could use attention, like around the chest and neck, just seems kinda sloppy.
It appears he is leaning against a glass window by the looks of his chest, they are flat apparing. Maybe just give it some attention there.
Lastly the neck needs some attention also, maybe take those neck muscles down a little bit so he has some neck, it would be hard to skin what you have going on there and it looks kinda funny hehe.

Thatss it.. Great model and keep going!! Maybe post a close up of you eyes/eyelids, all i wanted to make sure is that you put a lip there and not just stop the geometry on where the eyelids stop, that way light catches there :) ok dats it.

Congrats!

fourd
11-06-2002, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the input, I'll post a capture of the eye area tomorrow. But I believe I have that part under control, but it would be nice if you checked it out anyways.

Thanks for your help. It's much appreciated.

Donald:arteest:

Amaan
11-06-2002, 06:41 AM
hey donald

nice start so far. would it be possible to know/see what exactly you are trying to model? are you modeling from a reference, or are you making the shape up as you move along? In case you are making up the shape/form as you model, are you going for a realistic humanoid look, or a stylized one?

Modeling techniques vary according to the subject matter. you do have a good start, but to add anything to what 4dartist has already stated, it would be nice to know where you are headed :)

Amaan
http://www.warpedspace.org

fourd
11-06-2002, 02:10 PM
Well, I'm modeling with no reference. This character will be a trog/troll/ogre warrior.

He will be heavy/slightly fat but still have some muscles. He will be a viscious killing machine. :) Short, stout, and will be slightly hunched (his knee's will be normally bent like he is squatting.

I first imagined him as a cross between shrek, and the troll warrior from Lord of the rings..lol

I used to be really good at drawing, but I have trouble drawing for reference in use when modeling.. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.