PDA

View Full Version : awkward moments :: mover :: mikael p.

MikaelPersson
11-05-2002, 07:07 PM
Now then, I´ve commited myself.
No concept sketches or storyboards yet. In due time as they say.

if you want to see some animation, hit that .mov button down below.

SheepFactory
11-05-2002, 09:48 PM
the dragon was awesome , I am looking forward to your entry for this challenge :beer:

bentllama
11-05-2002, 10:52 PM
I am looking forward to your entry.

MikaelPersson
11-07-2002, 12:46 PM
Here´s the idea.

INT.
Gothic tower room. Stone walls. A coffin in the middle of the room.
A candelabra at the head end of the coffin. The head end is facing the camera.

Slowly sunshine is falling in from the window across the head end of the coffin.
The lid opens carefully, but as the sunshine falls in over the head it is slam shut fast.

Some rummaging around is commencing. The vampire is trying to move the coffin away from the light. But as he realizes that he can´t move it from inside he slithers out at the feet end. Crawls around the coffin at the backside. Emerging at the head end.

Then he starts to shove the coffin away from the camera, so that it will be in shadow. But as the coffin is moved the sunshine moves closer towards his hands. Then when the light falls off the coffin it hits his hands. He retracts his hands violently. Looking around, his eyes falling upon the candelabra. He uses that to shove the coffin the last inch into the shadow.

I haven´t decided or come up with any other ending. Except just cutting there. Will see. Or, maybe some of you have a great idea.

:wavey:

bentllama
11-07-2002, 03:04 PM
Wow. Neat idea...and you are gonna squeeze all of that into 15 sec?

MikaelPersson
11-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Thanks bentllama. Yes, I was happy when it landed in my head. Probably some of the thoughts in that sketch will be cut drasticly. The first thing to go is him trying to move it from inside.
Unfortunately there wont be much time for establishing shots, so I will probably have to cut straight to the action.

The first rule I will bend is number 8. Basic three point lighting. As the sunshine is such an important part, I wont count that light.

road
11-07-2002, 04:10 PM
you could probably use 3 point system and still make it work....

MikaelPersson
11-08-2002, 09:50 AM
I present to you the poster of the short.

http://goto.glocalnet.net/challenge/awkward/poster.gif

Created by a friend of mine, Dr Elak.

Virtuoso
11-09-2002, 08:23 PM
Nice idea. Really will be fun to see. Espeacially coming from you Mikael. Looking forward to it.:beer: :)

bored alien
11-09-2002, 11:41 PM
Looks like a great idea to me. I'm a fan of dark humor, so maybe you could have him not make it in time somehow. (Maybe he even gets the coffin out of the way in time and then something else happens.) Just a thought. Are you gonna do a storyboard? Looking forward to more! :bounce:

MikaelPersson
11-09-2002, 11:55 PM
Hi there Virtuoso glad to see you back. Glad you like the idea too bored alien. He not making it would change things to much I think. There will be an animatic when I´ve finished the modelling. Maybe a storyboard, but I dont think so. Anyway I´ve started the head for the vampire. I am aiming for a doll kind of look. As everything has to be rigid, therefore the doll chin (notice the crack).
The rest of his body will be thin, I am picturing something like Jack Skellington from Nightmare before christmas. Maybe not that extreme. The hands will be claw like, looong fingers. Nosferatu anyone?

http://goto.glocalnet.net/challenge/awkward/wip1.jpg

ACFred
11-10-2002, 02:04 AM
I like it! Nice touch at the end with the candelabra. I'm looking forward to watching the progress on this one.

Alec

Rogue
11-10-2002, 04:40 AM
This is a great concept. It seems alot to fit into 15 seconds, but it's do-able. Hopefully, when the challenge is over, you could take this and make a 1 minute or so short out of it. Maybe with some failed attempts at getting the coffin out of the light, but ultimate success.

Anyways, as for the challenge, I'm wondering if your character isn't simple enough. Being denied any facial deformations, a character with the level of detail you have may detract from the animation...meaning without facial movement from the brows, eye blinks, mouth, etc, it may take away from the animation.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that a character with the detail you have needs to have these facial deformations to be convincing...since we mostly look at a characters face. With this character, you're going to be drawn to his face alot and it isn't going to be moving much (unless your cunning negates what I just said).

Do you see what I'm trying to say?

Anyways, funny concept. Like I said, I'd like to see a short come from it.

MikaelPersson
11-10-2002, 11:23 AM
Hi ACFred, thanks. Glad you like it.
Yes I see what you mean Rogue. Good thing to hear the thought from someone else. I have been thinking along the same lines. Not making him to detailed. The current angle on that is to make him more doll/clay/model like. In that way I thought I´d get away with some detail. Probably I have to convey that feeling better. About the short. Have been considering making a little longer version of this too. Maybe I´ll do it right away and shorten it for the challenge. I haven´t decided yet.

Thanks for the input folks.

Stephen Vyas
11-12-2002, 08:09 AM
Seems like the making of a cult classic...
You've got my attention :)

-Steve

fellah
11-12-2002, 02:49 PM
hey mikael, great to see you participating in another challenge!
reed your story, and I found it very good and interesting! hope you'll show us the body of the vampire soon :)
and great poster!

take care
// fellah

MikaelPersson
11-12-2002, 11:25 PM
Hi there fellah. Glad you like the story. Will we see you entering too? I´ll send your regards to dr elak about the poster. känner du till nasses nekrozin?
I hope I can keep up to your expectations Stephen.

Now on to tonights update, It is almost finished, some more tweaks to come, but not much. I hope the body will be ready for animation by tomorrow evening.

http://goto.glocalnet.net/challenge/awkward/wip2.jpg

MikaelPersson
11-13-2002, 09:49 PM
Bring it on baby.

http://goto.glocalnet.net/challenge/awkward/wip3.jpg

Expect movement tomorrow.

DimitrisLiatsos
11-13-2002, 10:03 PM
:beer: Hey Mikael P :wavey:

I like your story and style !!! Hope u update soon to see some more

Good luck!!!

ACFred
11-13-2002, 10:37 PM
Oh, he's SO SEXY!

"Hi, my name iss Vlad, and I vant to impale you."

Can't wait to see the movement!

Alec

rolhionjs
11-14-2002, 09:01 PM
wow, very nice character ! keep going ! :beer:

MikaelPersson
11-14-2002, 11:08 PM
Good evening, sorry to disapoint you. But no animation tonight. Just a few different angles of the set.
Hi there guys, happy you like the story and progress. That was a real nice line you had there ACFred.

It´s hard to choose a nice angle when you´re not allowed to move the camera, but still want as dynamic a picture as possible and yet showing the most of the animation. It´s a pity the end result has to be in 4:3, when 16:9 looks so much nicer. Will se if I add a few more props tomorrow or choose another angle. There will definitely have to be something in the FG to the left if I choose one of the 16:9 shoots.

http://goto.glocalnet.net/challenge/awkward/scenografi1.jpg
This is the one I like most.

http://goto.glocalnet.net/challenge/awkward/scenografi2.jpg
Quite ok too.

http://goto.glocalnet.net/challenge/awkward/scenografi3.jpg
The end result probably has to be something towards this.

animation tomorrow? I definetely hope so.

Magarnigal
11-15-2002, 12:35 AM
Looking very nice Mikael, can't wait to see more :)

levin
11-16-2002, 04:50 AM
great story!!! cant wait to see the animatics!:bounce:

ilasolomon
11-16-2002, 07:47 AM
big HELLO! I like it Mikael, very nice model/env. looking forward to Animation. :D
ila

MikaelPersson
11-16-2002, 10:13 PM
Good evening guys, thanks for the encouraging words.
You have to wait a bit longer for animation, I´ve started but not made that much so it justifies posting. I thought I´d show where I´ve taken the set design instead.

http://goto.glocalnet.net/challenge/awkward/scenografi4.jpg

fellah
11-18-2002, 05:03 PM
I really like your scene-layout so far mikael so I ain't gonna crit anything. but just wait until you start the animation, then you'll fear me ;)

>>>Hi there fellah. Glad you like the story. Will we see you entering too?
nope, I have to much projects to finish.. maybe next time though :)

I´ll send your regards to dr elak about the poster. känner du till nasses nekrozin?
"dr elak"? :D
sadly I don't know "nasses nekrozin".. but I will check it up asap :)

update, update, update :wip:

cheers

Virtuoso
11-20-2002, 10:17 PM
Just wanted to drop by and say Hi Mikael..........As I said before the story is very nice.Avoid the light is a very good theme for this animation challenge,very good idea. Maybe you can assist me in my next novel....:)

Maybe you can add that old grainey look from old movies,make it look like you did this 70 years ago....:cool:

I am really looking forward to seeing this when complete.Now get back to it. Very nice job on the story and the modeling thus far,along with the ambiant setting,animation looks promising with your set up thus far.I'll be back soon as you get an update................Keep going,it looks very good........:thumbsup: :beer:

mv
11-21-2002, 08:45 PM
Hi there Mikael. I like it!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.