PDA

View Full Version : Suggest for a box

zoc
09-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Hi...
Can you give me a suggest for the structure of the skeleton for this "talking box"?
The classic of a biped or something different?
About the mouth...Do you think that blend shapes work enough or it would be better to build some joints around it?
Thanks a lot!

http://www.zocdesign.com/treddi/scatola.jpg

PS: how can i make the teeth and the tongue follow the movement of the mouth?

JohnPark
09-05-2005, 10:23 PM
That's a fun character. I'd use a very simplified biped with squash controls for the body. Maybe a recgularly spaced spine running up the middle that you can use to twist him around and bend him.
For the mouth I'd use blend shapes like you suggested, and I'd build the teeth and tongue into the blend shapes as well. This is one of the easiest ways to keep those parts where you want them. Then, you can add additional deformers to the tongue and teeth to move them beyone the blend shapes.
-JP

zoc
09-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi John,
what do you mean for "squash controls for the body"....that i have to use the squash deformer?
How can i make a recgularly spaced spine?
thanks a lot for your help!

Segmoria
09-06-2005, 01:36 PM
What JohnPark probably means by saying a regularly spaced spine is a spline with evenly spaced CVs to be later used with the SplineIK handle tool to control the spine of your boxy character so as to have uniform distributed deformations.

You an easily do that by creating an EP curve of linear degree that connects the bottom with the top of the spine and then applying the RebuildCurve tool with Rebuild Type in Uniform and the appropriate number of spans.

JohnPark
09-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Yes, what Segmoria said would be great. As far as squash and stretch goes, you may want to try different things that'll allow you keep the character from feeling rigid. Try a lattice to begin with, something that you can scale up and down to make him loose. The squash deformer is great, too.
-JP

zoc
09-07-2005, 12:19 AM
but do you think that rigid bind works better than soft in this case? and apply to it a deformer?
SORRY for my orrible english....

JohnPark
09-07-2005, 05:24 PM
No, I would still use smooth bind. You can add the deformer to the mesh after you skin it if you like. But ultimately you'll want the squash deformer to happen before the skin deformer. To reorder them, right click over the mesh and choose Inputs > All Inputs... This will open up the input operation window. Middle mouse click drag the Non linear (squash1) down so that appears below the skin cluster. Now, if you adjust the squash factor and then rotate some joints you'll get a very nice deformation.
-JP

zoc
09-07-2005, 06:26 PM
you are all very gentle!
this is my first character...
as soon as possible I'll show to you as the job proceeds!

JFFORTIN
09-14-2005, 01:54 AM
lattice could be good and u can add blendshape tu ur lattice so when u have squash and strech u can have the feeling of a bubbke gum u strech and not only streching wihtout shrinking ,theres a way to setup that with bones but its ur first chaarcter so the lattice is a easy way but less control.
Good luck in ur research !

zoc
10-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Here i am again... :)

So i do my paint skin and others... a spline Ik for the back work great... now i've attached a lattice to the body... but now i don't know what to do with lattice.

Thanks again!

JohnPark
10-04-2005, 10:08 PM
You'll want to parent the lattice and base into the spine hierarchy so that it travels with the rig. Also, reorder the deformation so that the FFD happens before the skinCluster. (RMB on the object and choose Inputs > All Inputs... for the interface, then MMB-drag the ffd on top of skinCluster) Even though the joints will pull the skin away from the lattice, if you squash and stretch the lattice you'll see a nice deformation happen in joint space. You can move the pivot point of the lattice to its base if you want to see the squash happen from the bottom of the skin.
-JP

Dichotomy
10-04-2005, 11:36 PM
its a little bit trickier, but using a stretchable spline Ik could also work for stretching the character. I would stick with the lattice since it is your first character, but it is something to think about :thumbsup:

zoc
10-05-2005, 03:12 PM
But do I smooth bind the lattice to joint with other surface?

zoc
10-06-2005, 11:47 AM
If you have to animate a simply box, like korn flake's box, do you thing this wrokflow is useful?
make a lattice on the box, then bind the just lattice with the joint.... so if you moove the joint the box follow the lattice, and if you move lattice point the box follow lattice point...

I know that i'm a little bit confusing, but i'm trying to learn this new kind of stuff in the best way i know, with you, internet and book...

thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2005, 11:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.