PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave on 64bit Laptop - How would it perform?

kennez
09-04-2005, 10:01 AM
I am thinking about getting a laptop for University (to make my final year project a lot easier), and I thought, why not get one that I can do some 3D on as well. Anyway, browsing online, I came across this one, made by Acer.
My brother has an Acer laptop, and my father has an Acer desktop, and we have never had a problem with either of them, so reliability is no problem, but how would LW perform on this machine?

AMD Turion ML37 (2.0GHz, 1MB cache),
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition,
1024Mb (2*512MB) DDR333 RAM,
100GB 5,400rpm HDD,
Slot load DVD-Super Multi double layer drive,
15.4"WSXGA+ TFT Display,
ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X700 with 128Mb,
Bluetooth,
8Cell Li-Ion Battery,
5 in 1 Card Reader

I am aware that there are some problems with ATI cards, but I was wondering if anybody has experience running LW on this card, or on a macine with a similar spec?

coremi
09-04-2005, 10:45 AM
i would get a 7200 rot/min HDD drive, and if it's not really needed right now i'll wait until Dualcore Turion or Centrino arrives. About ATI, i have tryed only about 4 kind of boards and all had problems with disply with Lightwave. Ati opengl implementation sucks, great boards, best price performance ratio, but not for Lightwave.

tufif
09-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Working on a laptop is so much fun! I just got my first a couple months ago. I can work on the porch, on the couch, at a friend's place, anywhere! It completely changed my work habits and made me more productive and more relaxed at the same time. :thumbsup:

ColinSmith
09-05-2005, 08:47 PM
I bought the Acer Ferrari 4005 a few weeks ago, and it seems to be the same spec as you have listed.

I haven't used it extensively in LW yet, but so far I'm very happy with it. I have had a few scenes running to check stuff out and it's all good so far and fPrime seems to preview at the same kind of rate as my P4 3Ghz desktop.
I was a bit concerned with the ATI compatibility issues, but there's nothing yet apart from some minor text alignment on button issues, which might well be more to do with the WS screen aspect antway.

kennez
09-06-2005, 10:55 AM
I bought the Acer Ferrari 4005 a few weeks ago, and it seems to be the same spec as you have listed.

I haven't used it extensively in LW yet, but so far I'm very happy with it. I have had a few scenes running to check stuff out and it's all good so far and fPrime seems to preview at the same kind of rate as my P4 3Ghz desktop.
I was a bit concerned with the ATI compatibility issues, but there's nothing yet apart from some minor text alignment on button issues, which might well be more to do with the WS screen aspect antway.

That's good to hear. It actually is the Acer Ferrari 4005, with x64 Pro.

CGTalk Moderation
09-06-2005, 10:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.