PDA

View Full Version : Keeping cool

kwshipman
11-05-2002, 05:42 PM
Hey guys. Got a question about cooling fans and staying silent. My case has 2 80mm Vantec Stealth fans in the back,one 120mm Enermax Adjustable fanin the front, a 350watt Enermax Wisper, and a ThermalTake Volcano 7 Heatsink w/80mm fan.

I am sure that this is enough to keep it cool. BUt my question is keeping it quiet. The 120mm Enermax is adjustable with this little screw thing but I dont want to have to take off the case to adjust it.

Are there any affordable options for controlling fans that work well. I have seen thoes toggle switches but how good are thoes? Are there any better options? I would like to have this thing wisper quiet when I am just surfing the net or while my wife is typing a paper. But when I start rendering to getting into UT2003 Noise wont be a consern.

kwshipman
11-05-2002, 05:53 PM
Almost forgot. I have another 80mm fan on the side of the case and a hole on the top that doesn't havfe a fan right now.

GregHess
11-06-2002, 12:28 AM
You can build a fan bus for the front 5.25 bays. By using resistor dials, you can literarly control the voltage going to each of the fans. Realistically though, you shouldn't need to have a variable fan system, just set the enermax to a quiet level, and make sure the system temp stays stable. Once everything is adjusted, it won't require additional tweaking.

www.caseetc.com (or maybe www.case-etc.com) sells instructions and premade rheobus kits.

kwshipman
11-06-2002, 01:15 AM
Well how much air flow is actually needed to keep things running smooth? It's an AMD 2000. The stealths dont push much thats why I put 2 in the back and 1 in the side. (side question; which way do they blow, in or out. Bet your asking if this guy should really be building his own computer):D

Also Thermal paste. What is it, do I need it. My heatsink had a black square on it that I think is a thermal transfer pad(?). The instructions that came with the CPU said that I had to have one or the other.

Lastly (for now anyways) the heatsink has two plug ins, one with only one wire going to a three pin connector and the other has two wires going to a three pin connector. I assume that one is for the fan and the other is for the temperater control part. But which one is which? and which one goes to the motherboard?

GregHess
11-06-2002, 01:32 AM
I usually put the quieter fans in the front of the case (pulling in the air, aka blowing over the motherboard), and the slightly noiser ones (aka higher performance) at the rear exhausting out (blowing away from the case).

"Also Thermal paste. "

Thermalpaste fills in the microscopic gaps in the metal of the heatsink and the core of the cpu. Creating a 100% smooth surface for the two to connect with. Its widely accepted that thermalpads suck ass. I usually recommend picking up a tube of artic silver III and using that instead. (You must remove the thermal pad and all residue before applying the artic silver).

Instructions on applying thermal paste are at...

www.thecoolingstore.com (If its not there I'll have to look for it)

The 3 prong plug is for the motherboard. I hope this isn't an AMD retail heatsink....

Good heatsinks to buy....

Thermalright AX7
Thermalright SK7
Thermalright SLK800

All use 80mm fans which must be purchased seperately. I recommend enermax adjustable rpm 80mm fan's for them, as you can tweak them for noise levels or performance.

kwshipman
11-06-2002, 02:01 AM
They are both 3 prong plugs. one has one wire the other two. This is for a Thermaltake Volcano 7.

Well better get some paste then.

GregHess
11-06-2002, 01:06 PM
The one with two wires is the one you plug into the mboard.

kwshipman
11-08-2002, 03:50 AM
That link for the coolingstore doesnt work. I did a search for it but could not find anything (there was a link to 3dluvr.com that show up though)

kwshipman
11-08-2002, 04:15 AM
P.s., seems I should have asked about this thermal paste before I assembled my computer. Thoes Heatsinks are hard to remove

GregHess
11-14-2002, 06:59 PM
Hey Kw!

I found the url I was talking about earlier.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Hope that helps. Sorry for the delay :).

kwshipman
11-14-2002, 10:00 PM
actually, I had already found it and my computer is now up and running (except for bank 0/1 of my ram slots, seems putting a screwdrive into the board is not a good idea.:D ) Thanks anyways though. Now off to you website to optomize my video card.

Carnifex
11-16-2002, 06:22 AM
Just as a side note, some of the more powerful fans are better powered directly by the powersupply, often using an adapter to go from the small 3-prong plug to a bigger 4-prong molex connector. Not all motherboards can handle the wattage draw that some of the faster, big fans have and burning out a motherboard fan header is not an alltogether uncommon occurrence.
That is also why the fan on the Volcano 7 comes with the two plugs. The yellow one goes to the CPU FAN header on the motherboard, while the other one (the one with two wires) goes to the molex adapter and receives power directly from the PSU.

As far as the direction of airflow on your fans go, generally the side of the fan that doesn't move, where the wires go in is the side that air comes out of.
Rear fans should exhaust, side and front fans should blow INTO the case. If you put a fan in the top, have the air blowing OUT of the case.

Regards

Ian

kwshipman
11-16-2002, 05:02 PM
thanks Ian, guess I will have to swap thoes plugs. As far as the direction the fans face, I seem to have them faceing al different directions. (I was just so excited to have it finaly all put together I didn't pay much attention to the direction of the fans.

I have a 120mm fan that is pluged into the motherboard, would you also recomend that the not be plugged into there.

GregHess
11-16-2002, 05:05 PM
The newer boards can handle increased voltage outputs. But having fans external to the board can help to increase board voltage stability. (In rare instances).

However make sure the cpu fan has a plug in the cpu fan header. Otherwise you'll loose the ability to shut down the system if the fan rpm drops below 1000 or whatever you set it to.

Carnifex
11-17-2002, 12:02 AM
Yeah, I would take the 120MM off the motherboard.
And Greg, I have seen even brand new boards fry motherboard fan headers if you stick an agressive enough fan on to it.

They're just not designed to handle the kind of power draw that these banshee fans put out.

As far as the rpm monitoring goes, well that's why the fan on the volcano 7 and on many other fans, have the 3-prong plug with a single, most of the time yellow, wire running to it. That's the output for the rpm monitoring on the fan. That's the only thing that needs to be connected to the motherboard fan header.

Regards

Ian

kwshipman
11-17-2002, 02:30 AM
that would explain why my monitoring software show 0 rpm from that fan (dang thing came without instructions)

GregHess
11-17-2002, 03:45 PM
"And Greg, I have seen even brand new boards fry motherboard fan headers if you stick an agressive enough fan on to it. "

Thats quite the truth. I do however believe in this instance that he's using one of those adjustable 120mm's, which draw a considerably less amount of power, then lets say a delta 120, or vantec tornado.

But your advice is very sound, and its always better to er on the side of caution, then to end up RMA'in your new motherboard. (Which sucks)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.