PDA

View Full Version : Pixar at MoMA

unchikun
09-03-2005, 10:59 AM
December 14, 2005–February 6, 2006

The Museum of Modern Art presents Pixar, in the most extensive theater and gallery exhibition it has ever devoted to the art of animation. Pixar Animation Studios has had worldwide critical and box office success with its feature films, from Toy Story (1995) to The Incredibles (2004). The exhibition marks the first time Pixar is lending its collection of art and films. In addition to six features and a number of shorts that will be screened in MoMA's Roy and Niuta Titus Theaters, the Yoshiko and Akio Morita Gallery will be devoted to moving-image work created especially by the studio for this exhibition.

http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2005/pixar.html

SheepFactory
09-03-2005, 05:21 PM
sweeeeet!

thanks so much for the link.

unchikun
09-06-2005, 12:34 PM
I think this is the first time I've seen a major art museum have a dedicated exhibit for "digital art". However, there will be an emphasis on traditional art such as sculpting, figure drawing and color design etc. Definately looking forward to it even though it is a few months off.

victor
09-06-2005, 03:26 PM
I think this is the first time I've seen a major art museum have a dedicated exhibit for "digital art".
I think the first I've seen was the Bitstreams show at the Whitney back in 2001 (http://www.whitney.org/exhibition/past.shtml#6).

The exhibition marks the first time Pixar is lending its collection of art and films.
I think their exhibition at the Ghibli Museum (http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/museum/pixar) in Japan might qualify for that.

mangolass
09-08-2005, 01:57 AM
December 14, 2005–February 6, 2006

The Museum of Modern Art presents Pixar, in the most extensive theater and gallery exhibition it has ever devoted to the art of animation. Pixar Animation Studios has had worldwide critical and box office success with its feature films, from Toy Story (1995) to The Incredibles (2004). The exhibition marks the first time Pixar is lending its collection of art and films. In addition to six features and a number of shorts that will be screened in MoMA's Roy and Niuta Titus Theaters, the Yoshiko and Akio Morita Gallery will be devoted to moving-image work created especially by the studio for this exhibition.

http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2005/pixar.html

Great ~ but New York is so far away! :D

We have MoMA in SF too (http://www.sfmoma.org/) ~ maybe the exhibit will come to SF when it is over in NY? Maybe February 15 in SF ~ how's that sound? :)

LT

Per-Anders
09-08-2005, 02:12 AM
Aw shucks, for a moment I thought it was the SFMoma. Well here's hoping it comes to SF.

SheepFactory
09-08-2005, 03:45 AM
Aw shucks, for a moment I thought it was the SFMoma. Well here's hoping it comes to SF.

damn , i thought it was SF too.

mangolass
09-09-2005, 11:13 PM

It gets worse ~ or better if you are in NY ~ Brad Bird and Trey Parker are both going to be at a Panel Discussion on Anarchy and Animation: Cartoon Chaos Theory in NY on Sept. 24:

http://festival.newyorker.com/

http://festival.newyorker.com/det_0924_anarchy_animation.cfm

Why does NY get all teh good stuff and not SF??? :scream:

LT

Bentagon
09-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Pssh. CA gets lots of good stuff. Here in Europe, there's barely anything except for the Annecy festival. Consider yourself lucky! I wish they recorded more of these events, like they did with that History of Computer Animation one. Anywho, I'm jealous of all of you NY'ers.

- Benjamin

RockinAkin
09-10-2005, 12:20 AM
Awesome! will definatly swing by NYC and check this out when it opens.

ReBootedOne
09-10-2005, 12:22 AM
I live in RI, just a 2 hour train ride from the city. I know where I'm goin' winter break! :D

Thanks for the info!

-eric

AndyH
09-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Damn, i wish that was on when i visited NY last year! Sounds ace - the next best thing to the ghibli museum!

I love your avatar unchikun! Its such a (no)iconic pic! I havent used XSI for years, but i still keep the noicon.pic texture to test and align my UVs in max!

unchikun
09-13-2005, 02:09 AM
New XSI looks to be good... new maya looks good too.

It would be great to see a Ghibli exhibit in the states, they have done so many classic movies. Would love to see some hand painted cels.

PhilWesson
09-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Wahoo!
Anyone wanna organize a trip? I'm about 45 min by train from the city...

isolated vertex
09-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Woo hoo! I get to go cause I live in NYC. Definitely going to check this out. (sets reminder in outlook.....)

isolated vertex
09-15-2005, 02:43 PM
The Anarchy and Animation lecture is sold out! Man, and I would have really liked to have gone.

Rye
09-15-2005, 07:16 PM
I wish this exhibit was touring. Would be great if it came to the LA area. I would go for sure. If I had the time (and the cash), I'd fly to New York just to see this.

piajartist
09-15-2005, 09:56 PM
damn, i was hoping they would come to the sfmoma. I guess all you yorkers deserve some cool stuff considering the cost of living.

vrljc
12-11-2005, 01:57 AM
Prolly a good time to revive this thread. The exhibit opens this Wednesday, December 14th. I was just @ the MOMA today and saw some character maquettes that they are about to install; they look pretty incredible. And if you are a member, there is a presentaion on Friday, December 16th by John Lassester about Pixar.

The following programs are held in conjunction with the exhibition Pixar: 20 Years of Animation The Creative Process at Pixar: A Conversation with John Lasseter

Friday December 16, 6:30 p.m.

Titus Theater 1

John Lasseter, Executive Vice President, Creative, and a founding member of Pixar Animation Studios, discusses the creative process at Pixar. From the initial concept through development, story, art, and the entire production pipeline, the creative teams at Pixar never stop.
http://www.moma.org/events/adult/index.html

Sagii
12-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Yippee the acceptance of digital art as a respected art form will take baby steps achieve... this news is a great start. This makes me really happy, I live in DC but I will make the trip to NY for this. :D

gunslingerblack
12-11-2005, 03:30 PM
nyc is only an hour away, im so going!

SheepFactory
12-11-2005, 03:42 PM
damn, i was hoping they would come to the sfmoma. I guess all you yorkers deserve some cool stuff considering the cost of living.

its not MOMA but:

http://nextframe.blogspot.com/2005/12/cartoon-museum.html

RockinAkin
12-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Definitely going to be driving up to check this out over the winter break.
Thanks for the reminder!

unchikun
12-12-2005, 04:03 AM
Thanks for the update.

Be advised that there might be a MTA (Mass Transit Authority) strike
starting on Thursday so there will be no MTA public transportation. This includes subway and buses.

unchikun
12-12-2005, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the update.

starting on Thursday so there will be no MTA public transportation. This includes subway and buses.

unchikun
12-12-2005, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the update.

unchikun
12-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Correction, the strike will occur 12:01am Friday if no agreement is made. Sorry for multiple posts previously.

Just read that there will be a zoetrope at the exhibit with sculptures of pixar characters lit by strobe lights. Definately looking forward to it with or without a strike!

hammcbride
12-12-2005, 06:09 PM
wheee, im going to MoMA on thursday, right after my morning classes at uni :p

*ahh, the joy of being closer to NYC at uni, than if i were at home* ;)

cJaynes
12-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Has any body been, worth a 5 hour drive?.. Of course I would stay a few days but that would be the main reason of going

hammcbride
12-12-2005, 09:04 PM
well, it does open on weds, so cant say how great the show is [yet ;)] but im sure it's worth it, if you have the time..

mangolass
12-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Just read that there will be a zoetrope at the exhibit with sculptures of pixar characters lit by strobe lights. Definately looking forward to it with or without a strike!

Just don't show that to the girl who has seizures playing video games! :eek:

LT

gunslingerblack
12-12-2005, 10:46 PM
omfg so wrong yet why am i laughing!

cJaynes
12-13-2005, 04:45 AM
well, it does open on weds, so cant say how great the show is [yet ;)] but im sure it's worth it, if you have the time..
haha... yea thanks. It's exam week so I am not really sure what the date is ;)

madmanmagic
12-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Tomorrow Lecture at MoMA by Lasseter is sold out - even for MEMBERS of the Museum - which I am one of.

ANYONE HAVE A SPARE TICKET?

Please contact me if you do!
Dan

The following programs are held in conjunction with the exhibition Pixar: 20 Years of Animation
The Creative Process at Pixar: A Conversation with John Lasseter
Friday December 16, 6:30 p.m.
Titus Theater 1

John Lasseter, Executive Vice President, Creative, and a founding member of Pixar Animation Studios, discusses the creative process at Pixar. From the initial concept through development, story, art, and the entire production pipeline, the creative teams at Pixar never stop.

vrljc
12-15-2005, 08:18 PM
They told me that for those who dont have a ticket, show up one hour before the event and put your name down on the wait list. Considering nasty weather and a possible transit strike tomarrow....good luck!

There will be another talk Jan 2nd by a couple other pixar guys, Bill Cone and Ralph Eggleston.

http://www.moma.org/events/adult/index.html

hammcbride
12-15-2005, 08:50 PM
i just got back from the meuseum, and i thought it was a cool exibit. yeh, there was a lot of incredibles, and cars concept art, but they are the latest films released/to be released, so it was expected. i like how they had all the maquettes of monsters inc..
ill type up a better description of the exibit, and put up some pics later today..

madmanmagic
12-16-2005, 06:55 PM
So did the transit strike happen? I am only an hour away in NJ. I could drive into THE CITY - on a 'close to holiday' FRI????

Does this sound like a bad idea?

Seriously, what are the chances of getting in by signing up for the 'NO SHOWS'

thanks
dan

hammcbride
12-17-2005, 02:52 AM
so far, no, the strike hasnt happened. dont bother driving, even on a non-strike day, its just not worth it..just take a nj transit train, to penn. station, and walk from there, to MoMA, is quicker than walking, imho..

joshmckenzie
12-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Some of the pictures on display at MOMA can be seen in this image gallery on the BBC website: Pixar Exhibition (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4527948.stm)

hammcbride
12-19-2005, 06:17 PM
ok, i went to the meuseum last thursday [the 15th]. the exibit was set up on the 1st floor, and in the theater galleries. on the first floor, in the hallway leading to that portion of the exibit, was a projection onto a wall, of wireframes, and [from what i could tell] animation rig set up, or various characters, such as mr. incredible, the tow truck from Cars, a character from bug's life [i think] and a few more, who i dont remember. walking down the hallway, there was various concept art on both sides, then some maquettes from monsters inc [sully concepts] and the incredibles, and random other characters scattered in. downstairs, was full of concept art and maquettes.

some pictures:

edna maquette:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/vaud/SUC50758.jpg

sully concept:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/vaud/SUC50759.jpg

forgot from what film this was from, another maquette:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/vaud/SUC50760.jpg

the book that went along with the exibit, has everything that was in the exibit, and more, atleast, i didnt see it...for 30 bucks, i thought it was a good price for a book full of concept art, and maquettes.

of course, this exibit had a majority of the incredibles, and cars related stuff, being it was the last released film, and the next film to be released..

[cross posted at 3dbuzz]

vrljc
12-20-2005, 12:37 AM
The color scripts are amazing! I kinda knew what the purpose of them was, but learning about them directly from John Lasseter helped to fully understand them; they are used for setting the mood of a sequence.

Other noteworthy pieces that were shown aside from what hammcbride mentioned are all of their OLD shorts shown on LCD panels. The "Luxo" short still amazes me to this day. If you go, you HAVE to check out the collage work from magazine cutouts that they used to design Edna. Such a great concept in a character design problem solve.

harlan_hill
12-20-2005, 06:53 AM
Yeah, they really are a fascinating bunch. I won't be back in NY until after the exhibit is closed, so consider me jealous. :)

I'd love to see more photos of the exhibit if anyone has some to share.

Take care all,

Bourbon Thret
12-20-2005, 12:49 PM
just curious if anyone has bought the book (exhibition catalogue) MoMA put out for the exhibition and if its any good..... i'm considering ordering it if its got lotsa nice pictures in it.

http://momastore.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=34204&cid=ILC-MoMA_Fall_2005_Exhibitions&att=Pixar

anyone???

vrljc
12-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Yes the book is very good. I wouldnt mind having it on my bookshelf. Also, If you cant make it to the exhibition, the entire thing is in the book...minus the short films of course!:)

greystudio
12-20-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm definitely planning on checking this exhibit out . . . right after the MTA strike :banghead:

hammcbride
12-20-2005, 01:44 PM
the book is totally worth it. as already said, it has everything from the exhibit, minus the shorts. its a great book to have around, as inspiration ;) even though its 30 dollars, its totally worth it..if you cant make it to the meuseum, i say buy the book, admission is 20 dollers, and most likely, you'd end up spending more than 30 dollars to get to the meuseum..

Bourbon Thret
12-20-2005, 02:00 PM
yeah based on those recommendations i was all set to buy it. then i find out shipping is a whopping $25 on top of the book price (i'm in australia BTW).

i don't know if i can really justify US$55 for that book right now. better check with the accountant (wife) first.

hmmm....

SheepFactory
12-20-2005, 04:03 PM
I wonder if SFMOMA has that book. I'll check out today.

petMonkey
12-20-2005, 06:51 PM
For those of you going to the MoMA for the Pixar Show here is my recommendation:
Start on the second Floor of the Museum. Ask a Guard or Museum employee for the location of the "Media Gallery". There you will find a gigantic digital projection of a 12 min Animated sequence (absolutely stunning 5000px wide with surround sound) created by Pixar. It will help you see the rest of the exhibit in context as it takes you on a tour of the concept art / environments of every Pixar film. In the same room is a Zoetrope with ToyStory Characters. This thing is so amazing - it has to be seen to be believed. Then continue on to the rest of the exhibit on the first floor and the floor below it.

SUB7NYC
12-21-2005, 08:22 PM
i agree w/ pet monkey start at the second floor. just went today.....less crowed due to transit strike. Highly recommended

danniesanchez
12-28-2005, 04:03 AM
Just went today just before the moma closed. Pretty awesome to see the original artwork and the Zoetrope. Very impressive. I also grabbed a pamplet by the door and they are supposed to have upcoming events and lectures.

JDPinto
12-28-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm going today, can't wait! I'll try to put some pictures back when I get back. I'll also see if I can buy the book and maybe show some stuff from it. I can't wait to see all the shorts; I've been waiting so long to be able to see them. :)

unchikun
12-31-2005, 04:31 PM
Just saw One Man Band and Finding Nemo yesterday. I felt One Man Band was OK, not the strongest Pixar short but worth watching.

I'd highly recommend catching a pixar film on the big screen again. Looks to be new prints and the sound system is terrific. One thing I noticed is how scary the movie can be for kids. There were a number of young children in the audience and they cried during a few scenes.

The lineup for the Zoetrope in the media theater was very long so didn't see it this time. The Moma in general was very crowded due to the holidays.

kwilli30
12-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Managed to catch it right after the strike. AWESOME exhibit, showcased a ton of concept art. It looks so much better in real life than the art of books - but that's why you go to exhibits.

The two installation pieces were great. The zoetrope is one of the coolest things ever, and the sound design/moving art piece was really jaw dropping.

Side note: This was also the first time i had seen a Kandinsky painting in real life.

If you can get to this exhibit, please do. It's great to see all the art from this generation right next to all the art that inspired it.

Yorgo12345
01-09-2006, 02:23 AM
I just got back from the show. I live in NY, and I didn't even know about this untill yesterday. I JUST made it!

OMG it was SO cool, the exhibit was great to see with all the sculptures and drawings etc... really you can see most of these things on the DVD bonus features. but the coolest part was definately the strobe zoetrope on the 2nd floor.

there is a GIANT panoramic screen created by 4 linked projectors that has a 15 - 20 minute montage of really cool 2 & 1/2 D immersive film. There were children everywhere some crawling some sitting, but they were all completely abosrbed. As were the adults. it was really amazing. Then, when the film ends a special glass room lights up behind you and everyone turns around and runs over to see what's inside...

...it was a giant zoetrope. The best way I can describe it is: a giant stop-animation carrusel with several claymation/toy figurines of Buzz, woody, the Green soldiers, little green aliens etc.. all frozen in successive frames of an animation cycle all around their path on the carrusel. Then the thing starts spinning. Of course, everyone starts asking "what's going on?" then the lights go out.. then a Strobe lighte comes on in perfect sync with the rotation of the carrusel. Suddenly All the characters spring to life! All the children gasped and pressed their faces to the glass "mommy, how'd they do that?" Buzz was running on a bouncy ball (with great squash and stretch) Woody was riding his horse, the aliens were jumping into and out of "claymation" holes in the floor!! It was Amazing. It was the coolest thing!

I'm so glad I went.

also, it was great to see some of the other stuff in MoMA, VanGogh's Starry Night, Dali's Melting Watches, the weird naked French statues. There was also one painter I fell in love with that I never heard of before, but I can't remember his name now...

all in all a great experience.

if the Pixar exhibit moves to museaum near you, I recomend you go see it

rblitz7
01-21-2006, 02:53 AM
Anyone going tomorrow? cause im going...with my mom. Yay!:scream:

RobertoOrtiz
01-21-2006, 02:56 AM
THE FIELD TRIP: PIXAR @ MOMA on the 28 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=311390) Some nut is organizing a trip next week

-R

JDex
01-21-2006, 02:59 AM
Anyone going tomorrow? cause im going...with my mom. Yay!:scream:

Cherish the time with your parents that you can.

rblitz7
01-21-2006, 03:01 AM
Thats cool Roberto but I think my moms set on tomorrow.:) Another time!:D

unchikun
01-21-2006, 01:08 PM
I think this lecture is new, did not see it previously:

The Role of Science in Pixar Films

Friday, February 3, 6:00 p.m.

Founders Room

Members of the Pixar artistic-engineering team and scientists discuss their collaboration during the production of films.

http://moma.org/events/adult/index.html

vfxinsane
01-24-2006, 03:48 AM
hey..ths sad for some of us living in india..we miss all such exibs n lectures :cry: ..it'ill be great if pixar releases a dvd after some days,covering the happenings at the exib...we'ill be atleast lucky enough to have the experience through it...
bala

MarieMJS
01-24-2006, 04:35 PM
cant wait to see that in London :D

Im in Paris, but I will gladly take the train to see the exhibitions, if the rumors are true that its going to London :D

embodiedform
01-24-2006, 09:17 PM
When I went to the Pixar exhibit I grabbed a bunch of exhibition brochures which are really nice- it is a couple of pages and folds out giving a whole overview of the history of the studio and also all info about the exhibit- If anyone is interested in getting one or two PM me and I will send it out to you:)

alan.bala
01-25-2006, 05:23 AM
hey jeff...
tht'ill be nice if u can post some info n other stuffs...caz v people are unlucky to attend the exib like u guys.. :cry:

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2006, 05:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.