PDA

View Full Version : To Dream...

ThePatches
09-03-2005, 09:17 AM
This is my first go at doing more than just a face in Painter. It's going to be a 'mechanical' angel dreaming of real feathers. Quite cliche I know....but I like it anyway ^^ The pic below is part of what will be a much larger painting, this is just all I have done right now.. after 3 hours...gonna go work some more! or go to bed >.>
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2901/todraem9wx.png

any comments/crits are greatly appreciated ^^

Stalk-Von-Dark
09-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Looks good so far..I think the idea is cool

fan4battle
09-03-2005, 10:45 AM
It does look nice, I can also imagine the idea. I'll be interested to see it develop.
Have you used any reference?

ThePatches
09-03-2005, 07:42 PM
a little more done....

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/3261/wip5wy.png

probably going to get rid of some of the back of the seat since I need more rom to draw the wings....

eyo
09-03-2005, 08:10 PM
that's really good! I like the idea too. I say who cares about cliches if it's done well? cliches are cliches for a reason :)

Fashmir
09-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Nice concept. I'm kind of focused on feathers myself right now. I like the idea of the mechanical overlaid on the organic with a component of sadness. It is a reflection of our time in which we in urban life find ourselves seperated ever further from the rythems of nature. I also like your depiction of a young black man as an angel. I look forward to seeing this further developed.

Check out my feather WIP titled "Flight Worshipers"

Rebeccak
09-03-2005, 08:30 PM
ThePatches,

I really like this a lot so far! The thing I notice, however, is that the figure is looking a bit like a photograph of the guy on a flat skewed plane ~ I think he needs to appear more dimensional. I think you can achieve this by just really emphasizing those opposing curves, emphasizing more where forms overlap, and building values up (gradually) more.

Also, when it comes to the mechanical bit, worry less about details than nailing the perspective ~ that will make or break the believability of the plate on his arm.

Good luck with this, and definitely look forward to seeing more updates! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

ThePatches
09-03-2005, 08:58 PM
The thing I notice, however, is that the figure is looking a bit like a photograph of the guy on a flat skewed plane ~ I think he needs to appear more dimensional. I think you can achieve this by just really emphasizing those opposing curves, emphasizing more where forms overlap, and building values up (gradually) more.

You're right! I've never painted an african american before, the approach is a bit different and takes some getting used to o.0 I'll be sure to do that tho ^^

ThePatches
09-03-2005, 09:07 PM
I think this is a little better...

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8697/wip4wu.png

Rebeccak
09-04-2005, 01:11 AM
ThePatches,

I agree, I do think this is better. :) I would just continue to build those overlapping planes, and keep lightening values, perhaps making highlights which are a bit bluish in sheen, etc. I love the mood of the piece so far, it being very soft and subtle, and I think the skin tones are great. Keep going, looking forward to your updates! :)

~Rebeccak

CGTalk Moderation
09-04-2005, 01:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.