PDA

View Full Version : Myst Creator Closes Doors

RobertoOrtiz
09-03-2005, 02:03 AM
Article from Slashdot
Quote:
"Almost all of Cyan Worlds, Inc. was laid off today, including me. I know with the talent we have here people will find new places to go and do great things. Itís sad to see a company with such talented people to basicly expire. I donít blame anyone for it happening. So today we had a company meeting in which Rand said some kind final words. Then we had a hamburger and goodbye gathering. Over the last few weeks leading to this point many of us had the hope that something would come up, but it didnít happen. I will try to stay in Spokane as long as I can. I got some really good things going for me right now here and I hate to see that just dust in the wind"

http://www.thegreydragon.com/2005/09/time-of-your-life-almost-all-of-cyan.html

-R

blacknoise
09-03-2005, 07:07 AM
No more MYST?! :(
that was the first game i've ever bought!

what a shame.... wish you all the best guys and girls from Cyan!

DorkmanScott
09-03-2005, 07:12 AM
Myst was the most boring game of all time. If I want to see paintings, I'll go to a museum. And that's why I don't go to museums.

However, it is always sad to hear when a company goes under. I did like one of their games for the old Mac system...it had a tie-in with Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe in certain aspects, like the lamp post. Anyone know what I'm talking about? That game, too, got old eventually as you could really only go in circles.

Anyway, I guess I never much cared for their games, but condolences and good luck to everyone who lost their jobs today, and I'm sure their positive attitudes and talents will take them far.

Dirtystimpy
09-03-2005, 08:04 AM
I was never a fan of the myst games, but always wished the best for the studio. I grew up 40 minutes away from spokane, and was hoping someday they would do a project that would interest me so I could come back :(

I wish all the artists the best of luck

f97ao
09-03-2005, 08:55 AM
The Myst games were some of the best games ever created imho. Me and several of our friends looked forward to these games like no other games.

And if you think they are just paintings, you just haven't looked hard enough. Riven and forward always had lots of animations and an interactive environment.
What was best in the Myst games was:
- the puzzles. Not so complex as most people like to think, and almost always very cleverly constructed. They also had alot of imagination and very often quite unique.
- the environment. Very good. Such feeling is rare in any games. Especially true for Riven.
- Graphic. of course..
- Sound. Sound is often forgotten, but the sound in Riven was just spectacular.

Don't play them alone, sit down with Myst4 with a friend and it's far more fun.

But I'm not surprised they had problems. They were originally very talented, but managed to throw it away somewhat.

Riven was perhaps the pinacle, the best game. Especially if you look when it was released. The graphic is still very good today, and the puzzles were very cleverly done. Then they outsourced the games, so Myst3 was not that good. Myst4 i haven't tried that much yet but it looks very good.

Uru was clearly not what it could have been. Some puzzles were very good, and some areas were very poorly constructed.

Myst5 I'm a little doubtful about. Seems too much like Uru, so I doubt it will be as good as Riven.

Perhaps the biggest problem is that the audience has turned away from this genre. I don't think Myst3,4, Uru sold well, did they?

I hope we will see more games like these. Don't forget to check out Schizm1, very good too and, erhm, even harder. :)

/Andreas

Boone
09-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Its a damn shame - I really thought Myst III: Exile( the only Cyan I've played ) was a stunning product.

I wish the team the very best in their future adventures! :beer:

alexyork
09-03-2005, 01:20 PM
ah man sad day indeed :( i absolutely loved all the myst games (except the 3D ones). I'm firmly in the "Myst should not be 3D" camp, but I've just downloaded the new Myst V demo and I'm about to see if I can change my mind. Riven, Exile and Revelation totally inspired me so huge cheers to everyone at Cyan for such incredible games! Best of luck to you all!

Ninjamonk
09-03-2005, 02:31 PM
shame it happened, I am not a massive fan of thier games but they have thier place. Never good to see people loss thier jobs. Good luck to them all.

Signal2Noise
09-03-2005, 03:00 PM
MYST was the sole reason I went out and put down a HUGE amount of chump change on a new computer (Pentium 66 I believe ;) ) with a CDROM drive and Windows 3.1 way back in '94 or '95. MYST was a life changing experience for me in the world of games, computers, and computer art.

It's sad to hear this news about CYAN. But then again, I knew trouble was afoot with the franchise when UBISoft started publishing the games and MYST URU did not last too long in the on-line world.

If I want to see paintings, I'll go to a museum. And that's why I don't go to museums.

Ah yes, the cultured members of CGTalk speak out! :rolleyes:

baby
09-03-2005, 03:29 PM
the myst series was not really a success anymore...
so it's not so surprising...

but it's really sad news.

JeroenDStout
09-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Myst was the most boring game of all time. If I want to see paintings, I'll go to a museum. And that's why I don't go to museums.
Every considered saying "If I want to make good statements, I'd go into politics. And that's why I'm not in politics"? Boom-boom! :D

Myst... ahhhh, Myst. Not as good as Zork, but still. It got me into wanting to make adventures. Myst, Riven and Exile were great, afterthat... well, Uru and Revelation were not really Myst in the sense of.. well, a touching adventure, I guess.

Its a damn shame - I really thought Myst III: Exile( the only Cyan I've played ) was a stunning product.
Hehe, ironically Exile was Presto, not Cyan. Presto was gone a long time ago.

DanSilverman
09-03-2005, 05:41 PM
Hehe, ironically Exile was Presto, not Cyan. Presto was gone a long time ago.

Presto Studios is a nother game company I miss. Like Myst, I really enjoyed the Journeyman Project, Buried in Time and all of those. They were also revolutionary (in my mind, at least :) ) . It looks like a lot of really creative studios are disappearing.

percydaman
09-03-2005, 05:56 PM
If you like the myst games, consider reading the books. They are pretty gripping. At least the first few.

JeroenDStout
09-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Presto Studios is a nother game company I miss. Like Myst, I really enjoyed the Journeyman Project, Buried in Time and all of those. They were also revolutionary (in my mind, at least :) ) . It looks like a lot of really creative studios are disappearing.
Shiny going gripped me. I loved Sacrifice, one of the few more original and certainly more imaginative RTS. MDK I never played, but it was great to play the demo of.

Ah.. well. It's heading like movies, really.

f97ao
09-03-2005, 07:30 PM
This is quite worrying.
Good game companies dissapearing because few people play the games, even when they are very cool. Yes Cyan did make some serious misstakes. They shouldn't have experimented so much with the concept. After all, Uru, a myst where you should jump around, and could fall down into lava??? (?!) Not the best of ideas no.

RealMyst was actually very good, worked fine in 3d imho. Myst3 I didn't like that much, didn't have the Myst feeling except for some areas (wasn't done by cyan though).

Once again you who liked Riven should seriously check out Schizm. Better than Myst1, Myst3, Uru, and quite good story and graphics too. Be warned that it's very hard. Done by some geniouses in Poland that clearly had 0 money for marketing since it was darn hard to buy. Me and a friend considered that to be the first puzzle. Just to figure out how to buy the game!

http://www.schizm.com/

I hope we will see more adventure /puzzle games. Feels hard to me to imagine a game world with no games like Myst. But then a 5+ years ago who would have thought that we would see no more Monkey Island or Grim Fandango games?

/Andreas

heavyness
09-03-2005, 07:51 PM
best selling PC game [until Sims cam along]

Myst [and the 7th Guest] sold so many CD-ROM drives back in the day [what, the game doesn't come on floppy?]

Great looking games, they will be missed.

trthing
09-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Myst dragged me to this world: thanks folks!

Neoklassik
09-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Looks like Ubisoft is taking over?

http://www.mystvgame.com/us/

chrisWhite
09-03-2005, 10:08 PM
That's a bummer, Myst and Riven both hold a lot of memories for me, probably some of the greatest games I've ever played, loved Exile as well but my computer could barely play it at the time, I should go back and play it now that I've got a better one.

Best of luck to everyone who worked at Cyan, hopefully you'll be bringing out equally great things in the future!

alexyork
09-03-2005, 11:14 PM
last year i was so broke I had to sell all my myst games on ebay. they went to a really horrible b*tch of a woman who tried to screw me over with paypal... man that was such a mistake :( i bought them again though :)

btw does anyone know if you can buy the soundtracks seperately? i know they come with the special editions, but I only have the regular editions.

baby
09-03-2005, 11:15 PM
No Ubi is publishing this "last?" chapter...Cyan is doing...

the problem came with Myst III that was not a top seller. Ubi tried to put it back on rails to the success...but it's seems it didn't work...
Even if Pascal Blanchť and his team made great efforts to continue the tradition...

It's hard to make big hits that don't include a gun nowadays....shitty...

let's see how much $ Myst V makes... :) and we'll know if it's a serie that will last after its last chapter...

Alewyork...about the soundtrack, the really pity thing is that you don't have all the material Peter Gabriel produced...one amazing song but I've heard many versions of it...it was great...
Can you find the soundtrack ? I'm not so sure...I got mine from Ubi...dunno if you could find it in shops...

alexyork
09-03-2005, 11:28 PM
yeh i just saw it on the ubi store. bit pricey especially with shipping to the UK. i might just buy the collectors' edition. that said, a collectors' edition box set with all 4 games would be awesome! about 60% of what made those games so immersive for me was the soundtrack.

i don't consider URU or V part of the myst series. i just can't. i just finished playing the V demo and... well. i just don't see the point in using full 3D. i really don't. same with URU. as soon as the demo started up and I saw a fat pot-bellied gun-toting hillbilly I knew it wasn't Myst. i was very very worried revelation would suck but I was thrilled to find it took everything from the earlier games and went even further. the graphics, story, soundtrack the whole lot. amazing. i think it's a real real shame the series is ending with yet another 3D game. i'm gonna give it a try though. i so want it to be great :sad:

I'm gonna pick up the Myst Reader books asap - they sound great!

Wes_Brown
09-04-2005, 05:12 AM
What a sad day for the gaming world.
Myst was STUNNING for its time.

Game as art.

Sad sad.

Makes me want to go out and buy of those mindless FPS games where all you see is a gun in the corner and a lot of sliding through hallways as if you are on ice. Oooh...fun! NOT... :(

f97ao
09-04-2005, 01:55 PM
The move to 3d is pretty ok, but what troubles me with Myst5 is that the style and execution is not what I'm hoping.
One thing that put me off in the demo was the characters faces. They didn't move good enough, and in Myst we are just used to everything being pretty much perfect. Breakes the illusion.

/Andreas

colintheys
09-04-2005, 02:41 PM
That's very sad. Riven was one of the things that brought my attention to 3d graphics. I remember playing that game with friends and making them mad by just going back and fourth on the cable cars cause the animation was so AWESOME. It looked so much better than anything else on the market... What a beautiful game.

DaveWortley
09-04-2005, 02:53 PM
I got Myst with my Packard Bell P75 8mb of ram back in 96, i was fascinated with it, watched the making of Myst and became totally engrossed with 3d modelling, got myself a freeware 3d prog and started playing around with displacement maps and started making my own Myst worlds. I blame Myst for my ruthless attention to detail.

Dave

francis001
09-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Wow, bummer! I didn't know about that. The original Myst was the game that first got me interested in the idea of doing concept design for games. I was a conceptual designer at Presto when we got the Myst 3 work, and I count that as one of the highlights of my career. Good luck to the people at Cyan.

Mattrne
09-05-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm so sad to hear that news :(. While I was never a fan of Myst as a game, I always thought that it and its sequels were a truly sumptuous experience visually. They were what got me into 3d donkeys years ago. Its a real shame, especially after reading a review with Rand last night in the latest Edge magazine where he was saying that you guys had a couple of interesting projects up your sleeves.

Commiserations go to all of you guys, but as Roberto said - you are all hugely talented, so at least you should be able to get work elsewhere.

aleinlatin
09-05-2005, 11:08 AM

Can I have a hug? I miss the JourneyMan as well. The games that made me a gamer today are those that came out in the Mac and my dad would proudly say:
"Look you can run two games at the same time in the Performa!!"(why two at a time was beyonf me but hey!)
The likes of Myst, Marathon (http://source.bungie.org/)(which is Open Source now YAY!) and The JourneyMan Project (http://www.rochnet.net/acatalog/Home_Page_Mystery___Puzzle_Adventures_A_F_71.html) Trilogy (once again, link provided :) ).
I recently bought the original Myst but would like to get RealMyst but can't find it. :'( I want it!!

But such a shame. One of the few companies that inspired me to not only dream about doing 3D but also about using my imagination on a different scope.

Cheers to the great memories, and thanks for all the games

FloydBishop
09-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Too bad. Myst was a big influence to me, showing what was possible in computer graphics.

This is just what the industry does NOT need, in my opinion. I guess it makes shelf room for another run and gun, driving, or football title.

Thelvin
09-06-2005, 02:55 AM
ohhh Riven... the memories...

that game really did something for me. The ambiance of that game was just incredible. I still have vivid memories of situations I ran while playing that game. Scary that those memories are so real, even when compare to realife memories of mine.

I remember the whale looking thing, down in the rocks taking some sun, and then taking a dive when he spoted me... or the bettle flying around me and then landing on a tree... oh my such beautiful imagery

sad that I haven't felt this kind of feeling to another game since..

erilaz
09-06-2005, 03:50 AM
It's a shame. The myst series was a wonderful experience (especially Riven, the jewel in their crown), but I think they should have branched out more.

Thalaxis
09-06-2005, 04:24 PM
I hope we will see more adventure /puzzle games. Feels hard to me to imagine a game world with no games like Myst. But then a 5+ years ago who would have thought that we would see no more Monkey Island or Grim Fandango games?

As a fellow Myst fan, there is at least a little bit of good news to offer: FunCom is working on a sequel to The Longest Journey" which was another beautifully-done adventure game with an interesting story.

Signal2Noise
09-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Yes, The Longest Journey is an excellent adventure game. Another good series is Syberia. I was playing Syberia II a while ago but gave up in frustration over one of the puzzles.

But I regress. Let's get back to the sorrow that is the loss of CYAN.:sad:

RockinAkin
09-06-2005, 06:27 PM
This is a real shame.
I've played every myst game as they've come out.
Myst was a big part of getting me into CG in the first place.

"MYST V: End of Ages" comes out this month.
I hope the sales are great to help Cyan Worlds out a bit.
They've got my $50... the demo looks incredible.

Everyone should do themselves a favor and pick up a copy direct from UBI:
http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=68252

Signal2Noise
09-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Everyone should do themselves a favor and pick up a copy direct from UBI:
http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=68252 (http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=68252)

Just ordered the Limited Ed. & the 16-Month Calendar thru UBI. :drool:

Thanks for the reminder & link!

annaleah
09-07-2005, 01:23 AM
I liked Riven alot....
The puzzles were mild and the story intresting...some of the sound editing was pretty cool also.

JeroenDStout
09-07-2005, 11:10 AM
And most of MR's Lume shaders we have Riven to thank for ;)

urgaffel
09-07-2005, 11:27 AM
I got Myst with my Packard Bell P75 8mb of ram back in 96, i was fascinated with it, watched the making of Myst and became totally engrossed with 3d modelling, got myself a freeware 3d prog and started playing around with displacement maps and started making my own Myst worlds. I blame Myst for my ruthless attention to detail.

Dave

Same here hehe... I did animations in 3dstudio for dos and used autodesk animation player to string them together. You could make it play different animations depending on which key you pressed :) Good times! Sad to see yet another unique franchise/company go down... Best of luck to all the people who worked there

Signal2Noise
09-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Got an email from Ubi yesterday stating my order is being processed to ship. Can't wait! Just in time for the cold season...:thumbsup:

tmcbroome
09-21-2005, 09:40 PM
A sad announcement indeed! Cyan will be missed. Myst is milestone in the history of computer games.

kabojnk
10-13-2005, 04:42 PM
I still haven't heard what they're going to be doing with their building. It's probably the coolest one we have here in Spokane, and it's not even downtown. I hope some game studio moves in... then I could go back to bragging about how there's a game company in my town. :curious:

CGTalk Moderation
10-13-2005, 04:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.