PDA

View Full Version : simple node question

gu3
09-02-2005, 11:16 PM
hey, I am doing a tutorial on creating a stretch rig, and am getting frustrated trying to connect the correct inputs/outputs. Do people usualy use the connection editor to do this,becuase connecting nodes in the hypergraph seems pretty unintuitive. Anyway, my actual problem is this: I am told to connect a multiply divide output into a plus minus average input1D[0] and a multiply divide input into the same plus minus average nodes' input 1D[1]. the problem is that I cant seem to make the 1D[1] attribute visible/usable. I just simply seem to be unhooking the previous connection and rehooking a new input into 1D[0]. What do I have to do to make a 1D[1] accesable?

I know this is a silly question, but I simply dont have a deep enough understanding of utility nodes to know what to do...
thanks!

also, I remember someone showing me a really simple but robust way to create a stretchy chain, but I cant remember it. I do remember that it DIDNT involve 3 mult\div nodes and 2 plus/min average and one condition node, or mutiple chains. I was much more simple. any ideas?

Dr.Spaz
09-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Yo.

Hey, I find +/-Average nodes to be a pain in the ass for this reason:

In order to "unlock" the inputs, you have to make a connection in the hypergraph to input1>0 and input1>1, then delete these connections. This then makes those inputs visible/available. Lame, I know. I think its some sort of bug.

If all you want to do is ass 2 values though, I would use an addDoubleLinear node. It just adds two values, cleaner that the +/-Average, that could save you .000001 seconds in production!! to make that sucker just type "createNode addDoubleLinear" in the command line.

Enjoy.

gu3
09-02-2005, 11:45 PM
ok, if I try to connect the nodes via the hypergraph the only option I get for a connection is for the input3D attributes, not the input1D ones. Is it just that the 1D attribute can ONLY have one input, despite what the tutorial says, and the 2D can have 2 and the 3D can have three?(that is what it looks like in maya help). As for the addDoubleLinear node, can that subtract? becuase thats what I need to have the aveplusmin node do, i think.

thanks for the input.

Dr.Spaz
09-03-2005, 12:04 AM
nay, the addDoubleLinear only adds.

Personally, I've only ever had it work with the input3d inputs. Unless someone posts an answer to the question about the 1d inputs, I would just use the 'X' inputs of the 3d.

darkjedi1929
09-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Simplest way to that in my opinion is to use the MEL command........

connectAttr -f object.attribute plusMinusAverage1.attribute[n];

where n is the input you want to connect to.

CGTalk Moderation
09-03-2005, 02:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.