PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't "Hold Weights" really hold weights?

PhillipCrond
09-02-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm very frustrated! I got the weights perfect on the feet of my model. In the component editor, the all of the leg verts were controlled by leg joints only. Okay, cool, then I'll hold the weights and move on... A little while later, I'm working on the jaw, and there are heel joints influencing the lips (at like 0.0001)! Then I check the feet verts in the component editor, and they have .0001 of practically every joint in the body on them. And they were locked the whole time!

What gives, Maya? Oh yeah, 6.5, by the way... Anyone else enjoying this problem?

NolanSW
09-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Did you have all the joints held before working on a set of joints? Meaning, are you painting wieghts then holding? If so then this is your downfall. Hold all first, then work on two at a time, hold one, unhold another and work your way up or out, which ever way you like to work.

xenoid
09-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Hey you can try removing those pesky tiny little weight values by using the Prune Small Weights tool... :)

mestela
09-09-2005, 12:39 AM
i've never trusted hold weights. It seems like a cheap hack so that alias doesn't have to say 'you're doing it wrong, you're making it worse'.

try and switch your workflow so that you only ever add weight. this tends to work much more predictably, and lets you avoid hold weights entirely. I wrote a little tutorial/rant on the wiki:

http://www.tokeru.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/MayaRigging

-matt

PhillipCrond
09-09-2005, 11:43 PM
i've never trusted hold weights. It seems like a cheap hack so that alias doesn't have to say 'you're doing it wrong, you're making it worse'.

try and switch your workflow so that you only ever add weight. this tends to work much more predictably, and lets you avoid hold weights entirely. I wrote a little tutorial/rant on the wiki:

http://www.tokeru.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/MayaRigging

-matt

Thanks for the link. The additive process makes a ton more sense after that analogy. Cool, I'm going to go drink a glass of sand now.

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2005, 11:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.