PDA

View Full Version : lighting tutorial on its way

Amaan
11-05-2002, 02:26 PM
Hi fellow L'wavers

I have been working on a lighting tutorial and doing all the example renders with Lightwave. In case you've missed the thread on the WIPS section of CGTalk, here's a link

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26316

Amaan

yon dabuda
11-05-2002, 02:28 PM
i'm looking foward to it. it looks fantastic so far.

polarman3d
11-05-2002, 06:40 PM
That looks awesome, Amaan! You're work is VERY inspiring. Can't wait to see the tut!...:bounce:

LNT
11-06-2002, 03:32 AM
yeah that'd be great!

Remi
11-06-2002, 07:07 PM
Yes indeed. Post a tut. Nice work by the way

Amaan
11-06-2002, 07:10 PM
hey thanks for the great feedback people. It's proceeding a bit slowly at the moment owing to work constraints. but should be done in few weeks (2 or 3 at the most)

Amaan

twinkletoes
11-06-2002, 08:15 PM
if you could just rush it along so i can use it for this months challenge that would be splendid. :thumbsup:

btw sweet renders.

Amaan
11-06-2002, 08:28 PM
hey Gareth

I will give it my best shot!

Amaan

rock
11-06-2002, 08:32 PM
Amaan,

I just have a small idea for you. Most of the lighting topics have been about no more than a dozen lights. Maybe, later you can do a tutorial on thousands of lights - and also on different day of time (sunrise, noon, sunset, and night time).

...Rock

LNT
11-07-2002, 01:13 PM
I'd rather have a tutorial that uses no more than 3-4 lights and explains the philosophy of the setup

yon dabuda
11-07-2002, 01:29 PM
thousands of lights? maybe thats a job for lightgen
3-4 lights? too much of a limitation, and besides there are quite a few lighting tutorials out there with the basic 3-4 light setup (key,back,fill).

use however many lights that work for the scene :)
as long as their is a purpose to the light and its well explained, it should be good.

Amaan
11-08-2002, 08:17 AM
hey thanks people for the feedback.

well, on a very general level, here's how my tutorial is going so far.

-a look at general lighting theory
-creating different moods with lighting
-indoor lighting
-outdoor lighting (sunrise, noon, night time etc)
-case studies

I am not jumping right away in to lighting setups. there are so many tutorials out there on 3-point light setups. I might mention it quickly. There are also no discussions on having arrays of lights. I am just using area lights (love 'em). I am doing more of a theoretical tutorial, with the principles discussed applied to some of my own work, and the work of David. Actually, there will be case studies as well, where the reasons of the placement of lights will be explained.

till now, I have got almost 90% of the stuff down for lighting theory and moods.

amaan

dark_lotus
11-08-2002, 11:13 AM
make sure you have lots of pretty pictures for us with short attention spans.

There's nothing worse than a tutorial without pictures. (well maybe a tutorial without words or pictures, which isn't a tutorial, but it could be a tutorial, just one without words and pictures, which leads me to the point that it wouldn't be a tutorial, because tutorials have words, and the good ones have words plus pictures.)

or something

Amaan
11-08-2002, 12:31 PM
dark lotus: u sure are a man/woman of many words :) don't worry. am working hard on creating tons of renders for the tute. i think i have around 20 rendered samples already.

more on the way

LNT
11-08-2002, 03:01 PM
using 3 or 4 lights in the scene does not necessarily mean that it has to be your textbook 3 point lighting rig

amaan clearly said it'd be an insight into bringing out the emotion with the lighting...for explaining the principles of it one doesnt need a scene lit like a xmass tree,esp if you use area lights

anieves
11-08-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by AmaanAkram
hey thanks people for the feedback.

well, on a very general level, here's how my tutorial is going so far.

-a look at general lighting theory
-creating different moods with lighting
-indoor lighting
-outdoor lighting (sunrise, noon, night time etc)
-case studies

I am not jumping right away in to lighting setups. there are so many tutorials out there on 3-point light setups. I might mention it quickly. There are also no discussions on having arrays of lights. I am just using area lights (love 'em). I am doing more of a theoretical tutorial, with the principles discussed applied to some of my own work, and the work of David. Actually, there will be case studies as well, where the reasons of the placement of lights will be explained.

till now, I have got almost 90% of the stuff down for lighting theory and moods.

amaan
This sounds awesome. I really cann't wait. I bought a book called "Lighting for television and film" which is good. Learned alot from it but want to see something more "3d" oriented. Your tut sounds like what I'm looking for!

dark_lotus
11-09-2002, 01:47 AM
u sure are a man/woman of many words

haha. There should be a disclaimer about posting under the influence.

lol.

Still can't wait for the tutorial.

Amaan
11-09-2002, 06:24 AM
Hi

I wrote "There are also no discussions on having arrays of lights. "

I meant that there ARE already discussions/tutorials about having light arrays etc. Lack of sleep I guess. sometimes u end up saying the opposite of what u mean. damn. gotta check that tutorial for similar blunders ;)

>using 3 or 4 lights in the scene does not necessarily mean
>that it has to be your textbook 3 point lighting rig

very true. I just throw in as many lights as I need. The only light that I think the most about is the Key light. The rest of the lights I just place around the scene to bring out any part of the subject that's in shadow or is not standing out enough. Separation of background and foreground, and depth is all what lighting is all about.

>I bought a book called "Lighting for television and film"

Anieves: most of my lighting methods are inspired from film and TV lighting :) I have read a some stuff on the subject, and found it very inspiring.

dark_lotus: love ur signature line. been stuck with reflections myself for a while :)

Delphis
11-09-2002, 09:59 AM
AmaanAkram,
Thank you for what you are doing.:)
I very much admire the lighting in your avatar and industrial/sci-fi renders.(http://warpedspace.org/wips/default.htm)
I find that few online tutorials cover fantasy art or sci-fi style surreal lighting and it seems you are very good at it, so will we be seeing it addressed in your tutorial?:rolleyes:

also wish the tutorial would be accompanied by downloadable scenes.:)

Best regards,
Delphis

Amaan
11-09-2002, 10:13 AM
Hi Delphis

thanks for your comments.

>fantasy art or sci-fi style surreal lighting

I will try. but surreal/sci-fi/fantasy lighting is just an extension of regualr lighting principles.

>also wish the tutorial would be accompanied by
>downloadable scenes

there will be some downloadable scenes. However, all the example renders shown will not have attached download scenes. One of the reasons for not having all scenes available is because they use objects made by other people.

dark_lotus
11-09-2002, 12:25 PM
love ur signature line. been stuck with reflections myself for a while

Just don't get caught up in the pool of Narcisis.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.