PDA

View Full Version : Blues Band

Overchord
09-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Hello people

I'm working on this Blues Band. I used a reference photo to sketch up the band, and started adding a bit of colouring. I'm primarily doing this as an exercise to familiarise myself with the Wacom Grpahire i jsut bought recently, and painting on the computer in general.
I'm planning to work this up to a fairly detailed level, but would like some crits at this stage as well - in particular
- Does the shading/higlight work ok - i know they are rought but can you sport any major mistakes?
- I'm thinking of placing "crowd heads" in sillouette in the foreground to somehow replace the shadows there now - started a little on this. Good idea/bad idea? And how to keep the shading sufficiently seperate?
- Should I try and add details in the background behind the spotlight or would that jsut mess up the image?

I'm going for the "Late night Blues in a Smoky Night Club" feel.

I'm posting a small version here as there really ins't that much there yet.

Any comments/crits are most welcome :)

http://www.overchord.net/cg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_BluesBand-phase01.jpg

Goliath
09-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Hello people

- Does the shading/higlight work ok - i know they are rought but can you sport any major mistakes?

well the stages I've been to have concentrated the lights on the front of the performers, so they can bee seen, even far away :)

and i think you should add detail behind the spotlight, many stages are stuffed with wires, more instruments, and scaffords all over - with more spotlights attatched,

but ofcourse it all depends what you want in your picture, what mood you seek. both options can make a great picture in the end.

have fun working on :)

Overchord
09-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Good point about the spot lights. I think maybe there could be some illumination from the front as well - but perhaps just seing the edges of the lamps in the top part of the picture.

Also good point about the wire, frames etc - will tryu to incorporate this as I'm trying to make it seem fairly intimate - not a big opne stage.

Thank you for comments - will update sometime over the weekend.

Overchord
09-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Just a small update. Added some elements in the background + more lights nearer foreground. This changes the lighting on the band quite a bit - so i'm thinking I need to redo all shading. Included sketch lines on this one

http://www.overchord.net/cg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_BluesBand-phase02.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
09-03-2005, 03:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.