PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio Advice/Help

rogfa
09-02-2005, 03:58 AM
Hi,

I'm going to apply to a few places as a Conceptual Artist and I'd like to get some help with my portfolio. I'm going to send in some finished characters and environments with vehicles and items and props and some life sketches too. I'm just wondering how many pages should I send? When does it become overkill? Is a ten to twelve page portfolio too much?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger

Rebeccak
09-02-2005, 04:00 AM
rogfa,

I think usually the maximum # of figure drawings places want to see are 10-12 of your best pieces. Every school has different requirements, which should be on their website or in their literature. If not, call the office and ask.

Good luck with your portfolio!

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

Lunatique
09-02-2005, 06:02 AM
I would say show between 3~5 of your very best pieces in each of the category.

Life sketches are not what you are hired to do, and you should show them ONLY if you are good at it. Showing mediocre or bad life sketches actually makes you look worse. Also, unless the company's job listing description asks for life sketches, you might want to keep them to a minimum (1~3).

Rebeccak
09-02-2005, 07:58 AM
rogfa,

Whoops, sorry, thought you were applying to school! *sheepish* ~ sorry for that! Erm, yeah, what Lunatique said! ;)

Cheers! :)

~Rebeccak

rogfa
09-02-2005, 06:04 PM
No, Rebeccak, don't be silly. I appreaciate all the advice. Thanks guys!

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2005, 06:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.