PDA

View Full Version : Opera 7 icons renders

jizzypop
09-01-2005, 07:36 PM
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/lw-gallery/albums/Print/638.jpg

ive been driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to make those soft reflections and shadows. ive tried gradients and area lights but everything i try doesnt seem to come out they way they did in the picture above.

does anybody have a tutorial or some tips on how to make a render like the Opera 7 icons?

NanoGator
09-01-2005, 08:13 PM
I think all you need to do is have a white plane beneath the mesh and a bluish gradient for the sky. No gradients on the surfaces or anything. Reflection blurring may help you some, too.

jabbermike
09-02-2005, 08:23 AM
I tried a little bit. Used an Arealight from above, a Gradient for the reflection with "Distance to Object" on the floor Object and a white BG. What I noticed is that diffusion has an influence on the brightness of the reflection. I got the best looking reflections with very low diffusion. But diffusion is needed to get some shadow on the floor. I think the only way to get both right is compositing. Unless somebody finds a setup within LW?

mike

dines
09-02-2005, 08:55 AM
hi....

a nice way to get soft shadows and a good ambient is to hava a flat plate where the objects are placed a white backdrop... turn down all lights intesity to 0 and use backddrop radiosity... when you give your ground a little reflective surface you could achive this kind of effect... give it a try and let me know if it helped...

dines

if you want to have light of a certain direction you could add a spot with very little intesity... play around a little...

red_oddity
09-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Have you tried Photoshop yet?
reflections and shadows are often quite simple 2d tricks (just look at the Apple aque style)

habañero
09-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Maybe with the plugins from evasion 3d (http://www.evasion3d.com/hs_lw_intro.html)? #2 (http://www.evasion3d.com/hs_lw_intro.html)

gerardo
09-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Some time ago I made this logo anim:

http://www.geocities.com/gerardstrada/tetrapack.txt

In that time I used spinning lights for shadows and LW reflection_blurring. Now I would probably use the spinning light trick again, but in reflections (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=253345) (since is more faster for animation). If you can afford render times, you may try with LW reflection blurring and an occlusion shader for blued soft shades. You can also adjust your reflection falloff with an incidence_angle gradient :)

Gerardo

jabbermike
09-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Did you do that rendering at once? If yes, how did you get you reflection so blue and still have enough diffusion for the shadows (and keep the floor so white?) I think I´m stuck. With two passes, one for shadow and one for reflection, I get a result that works.

http://www.exhibitionlevel.com/download/o7test_01.jpg

mike

palpal
09-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Hello jizzypop!

I can see that you have almost made it! But for Lightwave it is important to plan what to make. And in the opera icons I set up a scene with one "1" light only. The light is a distant light placed above to the right front of the object. Shadows is turned OFF. But for this kind of rendering you must use radiosity for good results. So the lightintensety is set to zero"0" but the global intensety is set to 100. Then I use a lightgrey background and the same lightgrey background color for the plain ground object. Add some fog and play with the reflection settings on surfaces. Remember to make the illustration look dull... so that you can alter the contrast and intensety in photoshop. Why? because you can not make it totally perfect in lightwave raw renderer without spending days!

It is good that other artist like the things I do. I will help with other questions if you have also, that is if I see the posting... I am not that active on the forums you see...

yours PÅL

jizzypop
09-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Hello jizzypop!

I can see that you have almost made it! But for Lightwave it is important to plan what to make. And in the opera icons I set up a scene with one "1" light only. The light is a distant light placed above to the right front of the object. Shadows is turned OFF. But for this kind of rendering you must use radiosity for good results. So the lightintensety is set to zero"0" but the global intensety is set to 100. Then I use a lightgrey background and the same lightgrey background color for the plain ground object. Add some fog and play with the reflection settings on surfaces. Remember to make the illustration look dull... so that you can alter the contrast and intensety in photoshop. Why? because you can not make it totally perfect in lightwave raw renderer without spending days!

It is good that other artist like the things I do. I will help with other questions if you have also, that is if I see the posting... I am not that active on the forums you see...

yours PÅL

:eek: holy moly, the guy that made them :bowdown:

thanks a lot for the help guys, i found that radiosity is definitly the key and my renders have been coming out a lot more like how i wanted them to. :applause:

gerardo
09-03-2005, 12:00 AM
Did you do that rendering at once? If yes, how did you get you reflection so blue and still have enough diffusion for the shadows (and keep the floor so white?) I think I´m stuck. With two passes, one for shadow and one for reflection, I get a result that works.

http://www.exhibitionlevel.com/download/o7test_01.jpg

mike

Yes, that also works :thumbsup: In Tetrapak logo I rendered it at once; since that was an animation (and I couldn't afford radiosity render times :blush: ), I used spinning lights for softsahdows. With that trick we can adjust the shadows strength independently from the keylight intensity, I just set a blued color for these shadows and a lot of intensity (this also works with any occlusion shader). For the floor color I don't used white but gray color, this is better because we can set a high value in diffuse channel, what makes the shadows more intense and convert a gray surface in white.
Btw, nice work PÅL :thumbsup:

Gerardo

T4D
09-03-2005, 03:14 AM
Hello jizzypop!

yours PÅL

Great to see you Around here Paul
everyone, This guy is a lighting rendering Legend :bowdown:
we can all hope he pops in here more and lets out some more tips and tricks :thumbsup:

Oh his a Top fella too :beer:

jabbermike
09-03-2005, 05:04 AM
For the floor color I don't used white but gray color, this is better because we can set a high value in diffuse channel, what makes the shadows more intense and convert a gray surface in white.
Btw, nice work PÅL :thumbsup:

Gerardo

A gray floor!!! That´s the trick!

mike

CGTalk Moderation
09-03-2005, 05:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.