PDA

View Full Version : What do i have here?

thedoc
09-01-2005, 03:55 PM
i've this idea i have and wanna turn it into a flik... i dont have a set story but what i have is information of certain aspects of the "LAND" that i've written down. I have created the tribes... valleys... and stuff.... what is what i have called???

How can i best develope into a story???

Jean Genie
09-02-2005, 02:03 AM
I'd call it a good start.

Ask youself how the elements you have interact with each other. Are the tribes' belief systems, territorial needs, ambitions clashing in any way? Is the land giving the tribes what they need? If everything you have is harmonious, then you might have to introduce new elements.

Otherwise, conflicts, even small ones are always the best way to build a story an pull it forward.

Hope that helps.
Good luck...

thedoc
09-05-2005, 08:30 AM
hey there,

sorry for the time it took for me to respond. Is there a "name" for what i have...? which is primarily a document of the lan with no story

SOE digital
09-05-2005, 04:01 PM
I'd call it a synopsis or a concept ;)

fwtep
09-05-2005, 04:07 PM
I'd call it a synopsis or a concept ;)It's neither. There's no name for it other than maybe a "setting." It's not really part of a story itself.

Fred

thedoc
09-06-2005, 10:59 AM
it's deffinently not part of ,,the story... i'd say it's a bunch of FACTS that help to make a story,

Screenblind
09-06-2005, 03:44 PM
I'd describe what you have as a Fiction. - what you are developing and fleshing out is a fictional world - If it turns out to be an inspirational and groundbreaking fictional world, you might even have a genre on your hands.

thedoc
09-07-2005, 02:05 PM
okay, thanks a lot!

meatpuppet
09-28-2005, 10:27 PM
as i understand it 'the dark crystal' came about in a similar way.

by that i mean that jim henson and crew got together and tossed around ideas for the world of the dark crystal, they created the different settings, the races and creatures, etc. and THEN began working on a story to tell using all this material.

it sounds like you're building a world which can be a very good first step in fantasy creation. once your world starts getting realistic enough you'll probably find that possible characters, conflicts, scenerios, etc. present themselves.

keep it up.

cheers,

thedoc
09-29-2005, 01:53 PM
thanks... any name for what it's called???

mrloco
09-29-2005, 01:57 PM
I would call it a setting, because its just a framework for the story, but not the story itself.

Daniel-McMillan
10-11-2005, 03:49 PM
I have created the tribes... valleys... and stuff.... what is what i have called???

How can i best develope into a story???

Sometimes it is called a "background or character sketch." If it has detailed background information about your characters. Historical drama's tend to have a lot of reserach going in - so background sheets are very helpful to the writer. I enjoy doing this when writing my screenplays (http://danielmcmillan.com/tq/film-tq.htm). I can't help but to do sketches, research, and write background story. This helps set the tone, and get your creative java brewing.

Since I'm assuming that your going to write a screenplay, the process for writing a screenplay follows these stages:

1.Treatment: An essay-style description of the story and characters. There is no specific length, but a treatment generally runs twenty-five to thirty pages.
2.First Draft: Complete screenplay in standard form (usually longer than the final draft).
3.Second Draft: A rewrite of the first draft incorporating significant changes in plot, story line, or the interrelationship of the characters.
4.Polish: Revisions of specific dialogue, action, settings, etc. (not a complete rewrite).

For starters, I like to use an outline on paper. I begin to outline where the story is going.
(Here is an example from one of my projects) I. The Shard a. Michelle and Ken
b. Traxan Lightning attack
c. TQ Guardian appears
d. Mom calls
II. School Bus Abduction a. The Funnel Cloud Anomaly
b. Space Station response
c. Valorius Mission
d. Into the Funnel
Some people like to write scenes on 3x5 cards. The program "Final Draft" can dispense your scenes onto 3x5 cards so you can experiment with the arrangement.

Also, it is a good idea to take a "Creative Writing" and "Developing Ideas" class at a local college. I enjoyed the class when I was in school - and took it twice! We still had to use typewriters and "white out" in those days (it was the early 80s) so consider yourself "candied up a bit."

There are a lot of folks who force their writing into a three acts, or another kind of forumla. Then there are folks who - when they write - it falls into place naturally. In either case, it gets better during the Second Draft phase.

Just be sure not to overdue it. The "Mona Lisa" would be some other picture if it was repainted. Go with your original inspiration. If you struggle constantly with it, and the story does not start to have a "life of its' own" then set it aside. Write something else.

Be careful who you talk to about your story when it is underway. Almost everyone who reads it will want to rewrite some portion of it. Many people seem to transform into expert authors when you have pearls to cast before them. (But left to their own devices - they never write a thing).

If you have a co-writer, stick together no matter what. I had the priveledge of having a very fun to work with co-writer, who was also a thorn in my side on the evenings where I wanted to flounder around. Needless to say - we kept at each other until, a year and a half later, we had a gem of a read.

Good luck to you, please post about your progress.

-

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2005, 03:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.