PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story 10th Anniversary Ed. DVD

Signal2Noise
09-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Disclaimer: I haven't seen a thread about this upcoming release. If there is one please move accordingly.

I saw television commercials for the first time last night announcing the release of the 10th Anniversary Edition of Toy Story. It is being released next Tuesday. Since I already own the 3-DVD (TS, TS2, + Bonus DVD) set I'll probably not get this one but I am curious about it.

In the ads it states that this edition will have "enhanced sound" and "enhanced video". How enhanced can this possibly be? It was a digital source transferred to a digital medium in the first place. Does enhancing it mean that the original transfer will again be digitally altered? Does it mean that the entire animation got rerendered? Will only those people with HDTV or other high-quality receiver notice the difference? Will this enhanced release be actually worth it?

The only other features on the DVD mentioned was a sneak preview for Cars and some other CG movie which I forget.

My interest is somewhat piqued yet pessimistic.

hopper2k
09-01-2005, 02:08 PM
i also have the ultimate toy box 3 disc set.

i'm debating whether or not it will be worth it to get this one too, but there's new features on it, right, that weren't in the 3 discer?

benwatt
09-01-2005, 03:03 PM
The reason this version of Toy Story has a higher quality image is just that the DVD image itself been created at a higher bitrate so the image should be a lot sharper. It's essentially based on the same original but just encoded at a better rate.

There's more details of this edition at Pixar's site on http://corporate.pixar.com/releaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=162197

In terms of other extras, there's now commentary available, as well as some new making of features, over and beyond those found in the Toy Box set.

Although I've got the Toy Box set, I think I'll still be purchasing this :)

hopper2k
09-01-2005, 03:09 PM
that's cool...i'll have to get it then.

itsallgoode9
09-01-2005, 07:28 PM
i'm soooo excited cause I got my orignial Ultimate Toybox stolen last year and the cheapest you can find a legit copy anymore is 100 bucks...and then you don't even know if it's legit because that's one of the most bottleged dvd's that's been produced. I would much rather have the orignial, but I'll take this new set happily :) and at 30 bucks, that's a hell of alot cheaper than the $75 I paid when then Ultimate Toybox came out :-) BTW, if anybody would want to trade me thier Ultimate Toybox for this set once it comes out PM me....I really wanna get that orignial back.

Shade01
09-01-2005, 09:34 PM
I would LOVE to see a re-render of Toy Story to todays standards :love:

JMcWilliams
09-02-2005, 12:05 AM
I would LOVE to see a re-render of Toy Story to todays standards :love:

No! leave the classics alone, you'll give Mr Lucas ideas! ;)
I still think the original looks awesome.

ArtisticVisions
09-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Eh... I'll wait for the re-release of Toy Story 2 instead.

mangolass
09-02-2005, 12:35 AM
No! leave the classics alone, you'll give Mr Lucas ideas! ;)
I still think the original looks awesome.

That would be a historic first, though: the first 3D re~make of another 3D film. They do re~makes all the time in live~action, eventually it will happen in animation, you just know it.

Probably it'll be preceeded by the first 3D re~make of a hand~drawn film ~ they'd need to make some new word for the process, like "dimensionalize" (sounds like colorize) and hire some poor company to match the original 2D animation frame by frame with 3D characters. Maybe a 3D Lion King remake? (Or how about 3D Pinocchio? Dreamworks already has the model!)

LT

mgarward
09-02-2005, 12:42 AM
(Or how about 3D Pinocchio? Dreamworks already has the model!)
Believe it or not, Mr Eisner had already suggested such a thing, I beieve, before he decided to step down.

benwatt
09-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Official site of the DVD is now up: http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/animatedfilms/toystory/home.html

remcv8
09-04-2005, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't pay for this one. Who's gettin the cash for it? Pixar???

The whole re-release dvd crap pisses me off. They just re-released Gladiator as an extended edition with two bonus discs. I love Gladiator and have already paid into it at the theatres and have the original dvd version. Though I would like to see the extra footage as well as the bonus materials, why would I want to pay $30 for the new release?

Hmm, $20 for the two movie tickets, $20 for 2 sodas, 1 popcorn, and 1 candy, $20 for the dvd... You tell me!!!

Pixar probably had nothing to do with the 10th anniversary version and Nazi/Disney is raking in the doe!!!

'tis my 1st anger post!!!

remcv8
09-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Toy Story 1 is a classic, as well as an important achievement in 3D filmaking.

No one should touch it!!!

Leave it alone!!!

beaker
09-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Pixar probably had nothing to do with the 10th anniversary version and Nazi/Disney is raking in the doe!!!Pixar had everything to do with this dvd. They had a big panel at Comicon with Peter Doctor, Joe Ranft, and a few others who were on the story team for TS1. They were very excited about the new features they made for the new release.

SheepFactory
09-04-2005, 11:41 PM
Toy Story 1 is a classic, as well as an important achievement in 3D filmaking.

No one should touch it!!!

Leave it alone!!!

Can you please not use color in your posts.

remcv8
09-05-2005, 12:43 AM
OK, I stand corrected. My bad.

Apologies to both.

I like what what they did for the Lord Of The Rings extended edition. I was able to get $10 off if I owned the earlier version.

Toy Story has made $362 million worldwide, dont you think that they've made enough on it already?

Besides, why can't we have all of the features in the first release of all of the movies on DVD? The other thing is that generally you can't rent the re-released discs at the rental stores.

...and why is the color feature available if you don't want it to be used???

kujo79
09-06-2005, 08:47 PM
sniff .....sniff sniff.....what is this i smell? Marketing?!?

I wonder how many times they are going to re release pixar films. I count 3 versions of bugs life.

Im going to wait for "ToY sToRy : the definitive collection"

Signal2Noise
09-06-2005, 09:24 PM
I went to my local DVD store to pick up the Lost Season 1 DVD set. Next to it was the new Toy Story DVD. Temptation took me over and I ended up buying it despite my initial skepticism. "What the hell" I thought since it was only $20 CDN.:shrug:

SamChen
09-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Hmm.. something in Pixar's press release caught my eye. It says:
"TOY STORY 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION follows the spectacular DVD debut of the Academy Award®-winning Walt Disney Pictures presentation of a Pixar Animation Studios film THE INCREDIBLES¹ - which has become the number one selling spring release of all time and is on track to be the best-selling DVD and video of 2005."
But as you know.. Pixar's stock fell recently due to the "less-than-expected" sales of "The Incredibles" DVD. So anyone know the real story here? Were the expectations set unreasonably high that even a record setting DVD couldn't match?

RaoUUUL
09-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Its partly due to the Disney store only selling the full screen Incredibles, i couldnt believe it.

Joe Sandstrom
09-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Its partly due to the Disney store only selling the full screen Incredibles, i couldnt believe it.

?!? That's interesting seeing that I bought my widescreen copy at the Disney store ...

Cronholio
09-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Hmm.. something in Pixar's press release caught my eye. It says:
"TOY STORY 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION follows the spectacular DVD debut of the Academy Award®-winning Walt Disney Pictures presentation of a Pixar Animation Studios film THE INCREDIBLES¹ - which has become the number one selling spring release of all time and is on track to be the best-selling DVD and video of 2005."
But as you know.. Pixar's stock fell recently due to the "less-than-expected" sales of "The Incredibles" DVD. So anyone know the real story here? Were the expectations set unreasonably high that even a record setting DVD couldn't match?

What happened is it did sell really well and may well be the best selling DVD of 2005. It did not, however, sell as well as Pixar had estimated. The reason is that sales of DVD players have reached a saturation point. They based their predictions on a market that has been growing at an incredible rate over the last few years, and suddenly that market slowed significantly, so they fell short, and I presume a lot of retailers started returning or dumping their stock of DVDs.

Squash-n-Stretch
09-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Well I don't own it in the first place so I'll be buying it definitely. There's a third Toy Story in the works right? Maybe we'll get a teaser of that on this edition? ;)

JosephGoss
09-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Well I don't own it in the first place so I'll be buying it definitely. There's a third Toy Story in the works right? Maybe we'll get a teaser of that on this edition? ;)

remember that toy stroy 3 will not be a pixar film,i think not anyway, unless that contract of theres got renewed, which i don't think it did.
did that contrct between pixar and disney get renewed?? , please help
i am confused

SamChen
09-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Being a big fan of TS1 and Pixar, I dunno if I would purchase this DVD release. Seems like a lot of rehash of the Ultimate Toybox and perhaps some stuff thrown in from the Laserdisc release (which the Toybox didn't have).. w/ a little bit of new material. These incremental releases drive me nuts. After getting the "Ultimate" Toybox.. you then realize it's not the ultimate after all. I will rent it if I see it at Blockbuster.. but I hate to subscribe to this game. Now if this release had 90% never-before-seen stuff you couldn't get before, then that's a different story.

chow-mein
09-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Being a big fan of TS1 and Pixar, I dunno if I would purchase this DVD release. Seems like a lot of rehash of the Ultimate Toybox and perhaps some stuff thrown in from the Laserdisc release (which the Toybox didn't have).. w/ a little bit of new material. These incremental releases drive me nuts. After getting the "Ultimate" Toybox.. you then realize it's not the ultimate after all. I will rent it if I see it at Blockbuster.. but I hate to subscribe to this game. Now if this release had 90% never-before-seen stuff you couldn't get before, then that's a different story.

But it's the 10th anniversary edition...there's also a Peter Jackson interview. Has it really been 10 years already? Wow.

Patiki
09-08-2005, 12:45 AM
In the region 4 Ultimate Toy Box, the movies did not have audio commentaries. I love audio commentaries; I think they're wick, so I'll definatley be getting this when it comes out down here.

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2005, 12:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.