PDA

View Full Version : help! full body ik maya 7

katha!
09-01-2005, 11:55 AM
hello everyone

I've been playing with the new full body ik tool in maya 7 and i think its really cool. I havn't worked with effectors before and maybe this is a stupid question, but ...
Warning

Freezing the transforms of your FBIK effectors will change the position of your character and its joints in world space. ????

What's the idea in making handlers that i can't freeze? Do i have to group and constrain the effectors to get a animatable rig or am i totally wrong and i didn't get in a lot of trouble afterwards, when i don't have freezed coordinates?

katharina

zinzin
09-05-2005, 10:33 AM
u can't use auto-key with full-body IK
u can only key the iks with key full body IK function

and while u playing back the animation, every effectors wouldn't update that means they will stay where they are, the viewport looks pretty messy

I can't c any point to use it yet
looking forward they will put a full functional full body ik in maya8

mojoman
09-07-2005, 05:47 AM
u can't use auto-key with full-body IK
u can only key the iks with key full body IK function

and while u playing back the animation, every effectors wouldn't update that means they will stay where they are, the viewport looks pretty messy

I can't c any point to use it yet
looking forward they will put a full functional full body ik in maya8

What happens when you kick this rig out to Motion builder 7 and take it back in?

Does it work seemlessly like it should? I thought that is where full body IK came from? (motion builder)

Someone please test and let us know....it should be more easily animatable in Motion builder 7...

zinzin
09-07-2005, 05:39 PM
the Full body IK working perfectly in even mb6
if we always have to swith between softwares, whats the point to put new functions in?

the_podman
09-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Yeah, I've got a full body IK riggs I setup in both Maya 7 and motionbuilder, but Maya 7's version of FullbodyIK is still missing some crucial things needed to be more functional. In particular, Maya lacks the ability to key in "layers". With full body ik keying, you get keys all over the place. Without a seperate layer, it makes it very hard to edit animation. The only way I can see doing this in Maya is to key over "clips", but it doesn't always give you want you want.

mojoman
09-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Yeah, I've got a full body IK riggs I setup in both Maya 7 and motionbuilder, but Maya 7's version of FullbodyIK is still missing some crucial things needed to be more functional. In particular, Maya lacks the ability to key in "layers". With full body ik keying, you get keys all over the place. Without a seperate layer, it makes it very hard to edit animation. The only way I can see doing this in Maya is to key over "clips", but it doesn't always give you want you want.

ZinZin, thanks for confirming fullbody IK from Maya works in MB6, and then you can import the data back in? But the keys are all screwed up? (to many all overlapping? it doesn't separate the keys onto layers using the character functions within Maya?)---to answer your concern about having to switch between apps.....may I be as blunt as to suggest PATIENCE. They have just recently aquired Kaydara and need to integrate the software into Maya. I'm sure they will become more and more integrated. The technologies of both applications will slowly bleed into one another.

Now wait a second here ladies and gentlmen---has anyone bothered opening up the outliner in Maya and seeing that that full body IK import automatically creates the character setups within Maya? Characters are how you can keep the keys separate in Maya no?

Press help and look at how to set up a character (I don't mean a character as in model, I mean a character set as in a set of keyable objects) in Maya.

Perhaps this solves the needs? Or does that not work?

the_podman
09-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Yes, mojoman. I have opened the outliner, well, hypergraph I prefer actually ;) and yes, I know all about character sets, trax clips, relative/non-relative motion, NLA, timewarped motions, etc. but keying over a clip with a keytick on every frame causes very strange results in animation. All Maya needs with the next release is the ability to key in layers within the timeline and it'll be the shiznot! Doing it with trax is not really the same. With MotionBuilder, you can set the weight of the layers or even have one layer totally mute the other. Still, I prefer doing as much in Maya as possible. Don't like to switch between too many apps.

For the short amount of time since they've aquired Kaydara, I'm actually SURPRISED at how much they've integrated into Maya from MB.

But there is this workaround via a script that I found that cleans up the dense keytick problem. It's called Mocaposolver from himampi over at highend3d.com. Here's the link:

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/animation/3714.html

zinzin
09-11-2005, 01:12 PM
thanks mojoman
and I am sure, eventually they can do well, integrate everything together, so that's why I said I am expecting maya8.

I read through all the help document, the full-body sys is a kind of unmature, it's a bit like just a clever rig setup to do something like MB. I know it takes time.

and looking forward...

mojoman
09-15-2005, 05:01 AM
Yes, mojoman. I have opened the outliner, well, hypergraph I prefer actually ;) and yes, I know all about character sets, trax clips, relative/non-relative motion, NLA, timewarped motions, etc. but keying over a clip with a keytick on every frame causes very strange results in animation. All Maya needs with the next release is the ability to key in layers within the timeline and it'll be the shiznot! Doing it with trax is not really the same. With MotionBuilder, you can set the weight of the layers or even have one layer totally mute the other. Still, I prefer doing as much in Maya as possible. Don't like to switch between too many apps.

For the short amount of time since they've aquired Kaydara, I'm actually SURPRISED at how much they've integrated into Maya from MB.

But there is this workaround via a script that I found that cleans up the dense keytick problem. It's called Mocaposolver from himampi over at highend3d.com. Here's the link:

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/animation/3714.html

Thanks Podman, that's a practical way to use that script...normally it looks like it would be used for motion capture data. I guess when you get deep into animation, removing unecessary keys and fixing crappy ones is a normal thing anyway. A lot of the pros spend 90%+ of their time cleaning up captured data.

So does this script make it manageable in the least for importing keys back into Maya? ( I can't test for myself at the moment)

I to am surprised at how quickly Alias assimilated Kaydara. I'm rubbing my greedy little hands to see what comes of it in the end. Now if the darn investors would just buy out Zbrush and bring Olaf (or whatever his name is) onto their Alias team, I'd just die!!

Ah...but integrating products is actually one of the most difficult things to do...and buyouts I imagine are even more difficult.

Thanks for your help BTW---awesome!

joie
09-20-2005, 06:03 PM
You donīt have to key the full body, you can key its parts, like only the arms or legs..., Is that what you wanted, donīt you?

techmage
09-23-2005, 01:14 AM
Im just starting my first short film and was starting to play with the new FBIK as a way to animate the whole film. I'm not very experienced in animation yet, but after reading this thread I'm getting the impression I shouldnt attempt FBIK cause its too immature, right? Is it even worth it to use motion builder yet? Or is that integration still too immature and not offering enough advantages over the traditional all-in-maya way? Is that hyper-real dvd way of rigging still the ideal way to do it (joint and broken joint connection with IK chains)?

the_podman
09-23-2005, 01:45 AM
It's not that I don't like FBIK, it's just that it's really meant for typical bipedal setups only. If your character extends beyond a conventional biped or quadraped(like a minatour or some creature), then FBIK doesn't really work that well. Also, with FBIK, since it's "pulling" whole character, several things are getting keys that maybe you don't want to. Without the ability to animate in layers within Maya, it's more of a headache for me to use FBIK in Maya when I could clean up motion keyticks better in MotionBuilder.

It's just a personal preference, though. I tend to create motions in "pases" starting with the root motion first, then incorporating the pose to pose method later on. It helps me keep the graph editor nice and clean rather that cleaning up later. I prefer nice simple riggs with manual clavicle controls and simple FK backs. By setting "joint limits", you can create an intuitive rigg within Maya and you won't get strange intepolations of motions because the joints don't "Bend" passed a certain point.

-pod

CGTalk Moderation
09-23-2005, 01:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.