PDA

View Full Version : Hot air in shake (particularly jet exhaust)

jaho101
09-01-2005, 05:58 AM
Well, I've taken up my self on a project of making an airplane fly across the sky and manouver. I have the model and some animation ready but, I want to make sure I have all the research done before I embark. Now, I'm quite new to Shake (I have version 4 btw) and would like to know if you pros would have any information.

Right now I'm thinking about making a distortion/blur combination for the exhaust but, if anyone has tips I'm all ears, I know very little. Anyway, here's a piture of the effect I'm looking for: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/matt_J/typhoon.jpg

Aneks
09-01-2005, 12:52 PM
done a bunch of these. I usually use a particle system generated in either a 3d app or something like particle illusion. Basically you want to make a quite an erratic particle system with a random lifespan. Then emit these from the rocket cone of the engine on your modell in a seperate pass. A good way to do this is to have two particles one red and one green. Then take this pass and use the particles to drive an iDisplace node and set teh displace x to 'red channel' and the displace 'y' to green channel. I would also use the same particle system to drive a blur as the portion of the image sholuld be blurred too.

I have sometimes used a ranomized filter or noise and a blur when 3d particles weren't available. Either way work well !

check some shot on my reel to see the effect I am talking about. Especially the jet pack and rocket toy shots

www.tahlniran.com (http://www.tahlniran.com)

There is also a tut about this somewhere in the DV garage archives where Aleex Lindsay does this using after effects !

good luck !

Saturn
09-02-2005, 07:32 AM
you an heatwave macro at highend3d.com

jaho101
09-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Okay, I tried this in Abode After Effects and it worls, however I can't seem to get this to work in Shake, okay. I have an air plane with a background if sky with clouds, they are brought together using combine. I have the jetwash imported and connected to a IDiplace node with red displacing x and green displacing y, and another with alpha for the x and y, so how exactly do I connect them to the first picture (without warping the shape of the engines, because when I do the engines get horrible warped and don't change, but stay that way)?

(still a shake noob, get confused by how nodes go into eachother)

Aneks
09-05-2005, 07:56 AM
have an air plane with a background if sky with clouds, they are brought together using combine. You mean using an over or a layer node right ?

IDiplace node with red displacing x and green displacing y, and another with alpha for the x and y, so how exactly do I connect them to the first picture

File in the background
-connect a blur node to it and connect the alpha of your 'jetwash' to its mask input. Actually you may want to use the just the luminance of your particle/jetwash effect instead of the alpha.
-append an Idispalce to the blur node. connect it as specified.
-file in the jet and place it in the FG input of an over node, connect the idsplace to the bg input.

You may find that you want to have a little of the blur and distort spilling over onto the plane in the fg This should be very easy to do ! Sorry can't give a more detailed explination but have many shots to do before deadline !

mdurwin
09-13-2005, 09:59 PM
You can attach extra polygons to the engines of the plane and give them a similar texture to glass, water or ice and animate some distortion in the texture. Put the actual live plate as the background in the 3D app. Then those polygons will look like jet exhaust and interact with the background. Otherwise you can create a displacement layer in AE easy enough. I know that doesn't answer your question in relation to Shake but it migh be an alternative.
Me, I just got shake and I don't know how to do anything more than open the program! Time to go book shopping.

Sagroth
09-22-2005, 07:58 AM
There was a nice fx called HeatHaze in Tinder package. But for Shake4 the only available distribution of Tinder contains only 9 plugs (out of ~50)... And I've found no info on what had happened. Can anyone explain that?

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2005, 07:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.