PDA

View Full Version : Comments Welcome

Miniku
08-31-2005, 11:52 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/Miniku/Untitled1.jpg

Hello. This is my first time posting. I have very little formal training and am looking for C&C for this image specifically and my style in general. It is a work in progress, she has no hand or feet and the background isn't fleshed out yet. I'm posting now so I don't lose my nerve later as this forum is full of artists I respect and admire and posting here for such an amateur is a little daunting.

A little background on the image: I used Photoshop and it is the first attempt I've deemed decent at drawing the human figure with no reference. My anatomy still needs work, and the overall composition is off as I have a tendancy to focus on details to the detriment of the overall image.

Any comments or advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm finally in an area where I can take lessons and am looking into doing so as soon as I figure out where I should concentrate.

Thank you for your time and feel free to laugh me off the boards and/or cut me up.

Euphrosyne
09-01-2005, 05:11 AM
I would move the figure over to the right just a little to get her away from the center of the painting. I would shorten the wall she is leaning on just a tiny bit, really not much at all. Make sure you have some interesting details to look at in the distant buildings. Maybe add a few more in the far distance. And make the sky more interesting, a little more contrast and variation in the size of the clouds. The position of her leg looks akward I think the ledge should be wider so her foot can be resting on the ledge. also her body looks flat. She needs more contour. I hope that this helps some. I like the overall setting and the girls face although it is alittle narrow at the cheek and chin area. Keep going it really is a nice start.

Miniku
09-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Thank you, I'll work on what you suggested when I can and post what I have.

Euphrosyne
09-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Can't wait to see what you did with this.

Miniku
09-02-2005, 11:25 AM
I only had a few hours to work on what you've mentioned yesterday and I'm still not quite happy with the results yet. I'll try to get something up this weekend.

Thanks again!

Miniku
09-02-2005, 09:50 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/Miniku/Untitled1-b.jpg

I tried to do a few things you suggested, is this what you meant? The clouds and the background still need work. I'm starting to get happier with the figure, I spent a lot of time modifying the face, only to realise that scaling it down to this resolution killed a lot of detail.

Anyway, love to hear what you think. I'm going to keep at it when I have time and keep the updates here.

mutedOracle
09-03-2005, 01:16 AM
Wow, this is coming along nicely! :thumbsup:

i like the fact that you shifted her away from the center, it gives your whole composition a more natural feel. extending the ledge also has made a big difference. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT ONCE YOU START DETAILING THE BACKGROUND.

one suggestion, that beautiful cloth you painted, can you make the bottom end "fold' under her feet and the ledge?

I'll be watching this'n!

Euphrosyne
09-03-2005, 07:04 AM
I really like what you've done with the figure and wall so far. Not so sure about the sky, I didn't mean big clouds just a little variation. I think that you need to round out her shoulder and give the arm some depth and roundness. How did everything get so blury? Keep going this piece has an interesting mood.

BMunchausen
09-07-2005, 12:54 AM
I'd say you have a good start, but you really need to tighten up that perspective before you get too much further in and depict more plainly, the difference between buildings and the figure. The buildings are inorganic - the figure is organic and it would help if the buildings didnt' look soft and squishy.

The buildings lack a convincing sense of solidity and construction and the plane she's sitting on is tilting up some.
You're using a digital program - what'll help is if you snap some verticals for yourself as guidelines and indicate your vanishing point so all your lines converge consistently.

Miniku
09-21-2005, 03:00 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/Miniku/Untitled1-c.jpg

Hello. Thanks for all the comments. I haven't had much time for anything lately as life's been... confusing. Hopefully I'll get more time to work on this. Here's my latest, still very much in progress but this is a learning exercise.

Thanks again, I'm honoured anyone even looks at it.

BMunchausen - I think you're right, thanks. I'll see if I can tighten the whole thing up. Love the nick, by the way :) .

mutedOracle
09-21-2005, 03:09 AM
VERY NICE, i like what you've done with her legs. Her pose is a lot more natural now.

Only crit i can offer, the one buidling in the back with the redish tint - it looks out of place. Your use of blue and green creates a nice atmoshpere. I'd change the color to complement the rest of your pallette, or at the very least "repeat" the color somewhere.

otherwise...looking great. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
09-21-2005, 03:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.