PDA

View Full Version : Laptop evaluation, please help

pailhead
08-31-2005, 10:49 PM
A friend of mine has set up this (http://www.powernotebooks.com/product.php?itemId=699)configuration. I spend a lot of time on university, and i need a laptop which is a replacement for a workstation. I've posted a similiar thread some months ago, when i didnt intend to go this far, but it seems to be a good idea skipping that previous choice.

pailhead
09-08-2005, 02:49 AM
I'm definitely buying this laptop, Sager NP9880 FORCE.
-WUXGA display
-3.6 pentium
-2gb ram

I have no idea what to do with the graphic card and the harddrives.

-Is RAID the way to go? (RAID0)
-If it is, is it better to raid two 80gb SATA at 5400rpm or two 60gb ultra ATA at 7200rpm?
-if not, whats better, 80gb SATA 5400, 80gb ultra ATA 5400, 60gb ultra ATA 7200rpm

Will i benefit much from the speed gained with raid?
Comparing two raided 5400 harddrives and one at 7200, which one is faster and which one heats more?

Is quadro the way to go?

I will be using this laptop mainly for Max and some cad utility, and most of the time i should have access to a power outlet.

CrazyAnimator
09-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Ya should definiatly search into what type of Video card. If it has intergraded SIS or Intel vid card. Stay far. far. way from those. Most prefered if nVidia Quadro, but even a gamer card will do. I using one for a long time. 2nd most used FireGL. My laptop I have X700 it does what (basic modelling, rendering and texturing) even tho its for gaming. But a desktop workstation is the way to go for heavy rendering.

Dell, make custom builds and that what alot of people tend to lean too.

lots
09-08-2005, 11:10 PM
If you dont have any plans for intensive HD I/O (like video editing) then dont bother with the RAID0 setup. Save the money and dump it into something more useful for rendering and using Max.

Get a bigger CPU add more ram, that kind of thing.

novadude
09-09-2005, 03:49 AM
I'm definitely buying this laptop, Sager NP9880 FORCE.
-WUXGA display
-3.6 pentium
-2gb ram

I have no idea what to do with the graphic card and the harddrives.

-Is RAID the way to go? (RAID0)
-If it is, is it better to raid two 80gb SATA at 5400rpm or two 60gb ultra ATA at 7200rpm?
-if not, whats better, 80gb SATA 5400, 80gb ultra ATA 5400, 60gb ultra ATA 7200rpm

Will i benefit much from the speed gained with raid?
Comparing two raided 5400 harddrives and one at 7200, which one is faster and which one heats more?

Is quadro the way to go?

I will be using this laptop mainly for Max and some cad utility, and most of the time i should have access to a power outlet.

You realize that with just the laptop and AC adapter you would be carrying over 15lbs., right? Besides the massive weight, it will run very hot no matter what your HD configuration. You will get less than an hour of battery life when you are working on this without being plugged into the wall outlet, even with the CPU scaled back (automatically, no way to change it) so that the immense power draw of the PIV chip won't damage the battery by drawing more current than the battery can handle.

pailhead
09-23-2005, 10:12 PM
I was considering the XPS2 over this one, but i kinda like the sager more, even though its heavier.

So in the end, im still not sure what to do with it.
I've written of the raid setup as pretty risky. If i dont take the second hdd i can get a 3.8ghz cpu.
My first hdd would be an 5400rpm 80gb SATA hard, if i were to put another one (my intention was to put a 7200rpm as the second one) is it better to get it as external hard, or to build it in?

On one hand, i wouldn't like carrying an additional component, but on the other if it would give like 15minutes of extra life when its disconnected and the laptop is working on its battery is it worth it?
The question is, if setting it up with two hardrives, whats the best way to go?
sata or ultra ata, one at 5400 one at 7200?

Since i have to about a month for this, a 7800gtx may be an option, i wont buy the quadro so its either 6800ultra or 7800gtx.

Can someone go to pctorque or powernotebooks and play around with the configurator, and make some suggestions?

CGTalk Moderation
09-23-2005, 10:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.