PDA

View Full Version : Myth & Religion: Whats the coolest creature?

Skirnir
08-31-2005, 07:17 PM
This idea for a thread just popped in there, but I thought it might be interesting.

What creatures in myth or religion do you find wacky, cool, unique, interesting etc.

Heres a short list of some unique or cool creatures I can remember:

Norse:
Nidhogg
Jormungand
Sleipnir
Surtr
Fenrir
Garm
Fafnir

partly related:
Grendel

Greek/Roman:
Cerberus
Hydra
Manticore
Gorgons
Titan
Cyclops
Basilisk
Chimera
Centaur
Giant
Harpy
Minotaur
Pegasus
Satyr
Siren/Mermaid
Hecatonchires
Scylla
Charybdis
Geryon
Typhon
Echidna
Talos
Orthos
Naberius

Egyptian/Arabian:
Sphinx
Griffin
Hippogryph
Phoenix
Roc

Other:
Dragon(Names: Terasque, Tiamat, bahamut, Shinryu, Ladon, Zu, Azhi Dakah)
Devil
Angel
Mandrake
Wyvern/Wyrm
Naga
Unicorn
Lamia
Incubus/Succubus
Elementals
Djinn/genie
Lycanthrope/Werewolf
Vampire
Lich
Wight
Lemure
Skeleton/ghost/zombie/ghoul/mummy
Manes
Kraken
Dryad
Golem
Gremlin
Imp
Genji
Homonculi
Leprachaun
Ogre
Pixie/Fairy
Treant

Add to the list or pick a favorite :)

pgp_protector
08-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Dont know about favs, but I wouldnt want to run into any of these .

And the shapes of the locusts [were] like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads [were] as it were crowns like gold, and their faces [were] as the faces of men. And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as [the teeth] of lions. And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings [was] as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle. And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power [was] to hurt men five months.

sounds real nasty.

Spritemare
08-31-2005, 07:38 PM
does the Beholder from D&D count? :D

JTD
08-31-2005, 08:05 PM
I have a special place in my heart for Dragons.

Chemix
08-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Christianity/ Semi:
Seraphim
Cherubim
Lion of God

ndog
08-31-2005, 08:26 PM
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper404/stills/bk97f808.jpg
"What are you drawing?"
"A liger."
"What's a liger?"
"It's pretty much my favourite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed. Bred for its skills and magic."
-Napoleon Dynamite

leigh
08-31-2005, 08:36 PM
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper404/stills/bk97f808.jpg
"What are you drawing?"
"A liger."
"What's a liger?"
"It's pretty much my favourite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed. Bred for its skills and magic."
-Napoleon Dynamite

ROFLMAO :scream: I love that film :love:

SevenString
08-31-2005, 08:46 PM
"TRON"

He fights for the users. :buttrock:

Seriously, I think Saraswati, the Hindu Goddess of "knowledge, music, and all the creative arts" is pretty cool.

kemijo
08-31-2005, 08:52 PM
Man, just reading that list makes me happy. Nothing to add, just reminiscing about D&D, Final Fantasy, and other RPGs.

It's still unknown how I managed to get married.

Signal2Noise
08-31-2005, 09:06 PM

Heres a short list of some unique or cool creatures I can remember:

That's some "short" list. What did you do...read your Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual for old time's sake? :)

My fave (in the AD&D days) was Loki. :twisted:

AmbiDextrose
08-31-2005, 09:12 PM
From Filipino folklore, we have:

TIKBALANG
Mythical being with the upper body of a horse and the lower limbs (from the waist down) of a man. They often ambush unwary travelers and attack using their hooves to bludgeon their victims. They were said to emit the nauseating stench of burning hair hence signaling their victims of their impending doom. Illustration by Trent Happel.

MANANANGGAL
Mythical “vampire-like” being, often a woman, with no lower limbs and has bat-like wings. Uses its proboscis-like tongue to suck-out unborn children from their mothers' wombs; Has the ability to transform to various animals in order to avoid capture & lives as a normal human beings during the day; Can only be killed by finding it's lower half (from the waist down) & smearing it with crushed garlic (bawang). Illustration by Jay Javier.

aesir
08-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Koschei the Deathless

Koschei cannot die. His soul is hidden separate from his body inside a needle, which is in an egg, which is in a duck, which is in a hare, which is in an iron chest, which is buried under a green oak tree which is on the island of Buyan, in the ocean. As long as his soul is safe, he cannot die. If the chest is dug up and opened, the hare will bolt away. If it is killed, the duck will emerge and try to fly off. Anyone possessing the egg has Koschei in their power. He begins to weaken, becomes sick and immediately loses the use of his magic. If the egg is tossed about, he likewise is flung around against his will. If the needle is broken (in some tales this must be done by specifically breaking it against Koschei's forehead), Koschei will die.

Squibbit
08-31-2005, 09:25 PM
umh.. succubus pretty much..

LadyMedusa
08-31-2005, 09:30 PM
I love mythologies :love:

You forgot the Troll (norse) and the Jotuntroll (norse). The Jotuntroll is often described as a gigant whit nine heads. To kill it, you have to cut off the ugliest head, if I remember correctly.

And what about Medusa?
Shure she was one of the Gorgons, but she was the only one that was mortal.

Edit: ... I can't decide what creature is the coolest tho'

DorkmanScott
08-31-2005, 09:37 PM
One of my favorites is the Celtic monster Nuckelavee. It looked like a horse and rider from afar, but up close it was actually one creature. The human portion had a head ten times the size of a normal man's head, with a jutting jaw like a pig's that was enormously wide. Its arms were also abnormally long, with the knuckles nearly dragging to the ground when hanging at its side. The creature had no hair, mainly because it had no skin. It was made of white sinews, and tar-black blood running in yellow veins.

Technically a sea creature, it would come on land to do evil as often as it could. It's breath was poisonous and it was blamed for death of crops, animals, and even epidemics of disease among man. It hated fresh water for some reason and would go nowhere near it, nor was it known to come to land in the rain.

eMPeck
08-31-2005, 09:41 PM
umh.. succubus pretty much...

Quoted for agreement

Here is my favourite one. Concept from one of Castlevania games :)

SovereignKnight
08-31-2005, 09:57 PM
This should be the challange topic.

:)

PS. DRAGONS RULE.

Squibbit
08-31-2005, 10:10 PM
And what about Medusa?

ah definitely medusa too ...

Neoklassik
08-31-2005, 10:19 PM
I played "A Bards Tale" and this monster was in it. I thought they made it up.
The song about it was hilarious.

A few verses:

"On death and destruction is what you will get
When he's coming for you and in your kilt you will wet.
And he's big and he's strong and its quite plain to see.
That this is the Tale of the Nukelavee.

Nukelavee! Oh Nukelavee
You're big and evil and heinous
Who could it be who set you free?
He really must be an anus.

Oh Nukelavee it's easy to see
the terror you leave is raining on me.
The village is burned and the taverns are missed
and the beer is all gone and the elders are pissed."

One of my favorites is the Celtic monster Nuckelavee. It looked like a horse and rider from afar, but up close it was actually one creature. The human portion had a head ten times the size of a normal man's head, with a jutting jaw like a pig's that was enormously wide. Its arms were also abnormally long, with the knuckles nearly dragging to the ground when hanging at its side. The creature had no hair, mainly because it had no skin. It was made of white sinews, and tar-black blood running in yellow veins.

Technically a sea creature, it would come on land to do evil as often as it could. It's breath was poisonous and it was blamed for death of crops, animals, and even epidemics of disease among man. It hated fresh water for some reason and would go nowhere near it, nor was it known to come to land in the rain.

Yourworstnightmare
08-31-2005, 10:26 PM
This thing, it's a chimera from the RE remake for Gamecube, it gave me nightmares.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/835/remakechimera6cs.jpg

Eddie_rossi
08-31-2005, 10:40 PM
What about a Banshee? The howling!

Signal2Noise
08-31-2005, 10:49 PM
This should be the challange topic.

Agreed!

I like Centaurs. Maybe I'll do one (in a non-sexual way of course!).

Skirnir
08-31-2005, 11:05 PM
Signal - nope, these were just on my mind, took me about 10 minutes to make the list which is why I said it was short. :p (to tell you the truth I have never played D&D, only videogames with a basis of their realms)

LadyMedusa - Yep forgot the troll. Very commonly used creatures and it didnt pop in there. :D Ya I was having trouble deciding if I should add medusa below gorgon or not since, she is technically a gorgon, even if a mortal one.

Well since it sparked so much interest Here are some more creatures I can think of:

Catoblepas
Wraith
Spectre
Poltergeist
Nephilim
Bogie
Leviathan
Orc
Goblin
Trologdyte
Nymph
Garuda
Simurgh
Ifreeti
gargoyle
Bunyip
Selkie
Blob
Phantasm
Phantom
Akuma
Bugbear
Brownie(sounds wierd I know, but it is a myth/folktale creature)
Cetus
Dagon
Faun(same as satyr; I guess, I might go online and check the difference later)
Firbolg
Furies
Kobold
Kujata
Leshy
Mushussu
Nereid
Nixie
Oni
Sylph
Volk

Maybe Ill think up yet even more later, but until then keep adding to the list or whatever else you'd like. :)

Signal2Noise
09-01-2005, 12:17 AM
Brownie(sounds wierd I know, but it is a myth/folktale creature)

I was kicked out of Boy Scouts for eating a Brownie! :shrug:

DorkmanScott
09-01-2005, 12:22 AM
Agreed!

I like Centaurs. Maybe I'll do one (in a non-sexual way of course!).

There's actually an entire subculture of erotic writing in which people turn into centaurs as a lead-in to the debauchery. Apparently a lot of people get into that.

You may be about to ask how I know this, but just ask yourself: do you really want the answer?

Anyway, it's not my thing. Swear to God. :eek:

Hoser
09-01-2005, 12:41 AM
Elves, dwarves, etc. aren't on the list because?

DorkmanScott
09-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Elves, dwarves, etc. aren't on the list because?

I personally don't think of them as "creatures", more as human-variants.

Hoser
09-01-2005, 12:59 AM
I personally don't think of them as "creatures", more as human-variants.

Yeah, I was thinking of that. I think they used to be creatures but since a lot of movies and books have been from their point of view and we really got to know them, they have become, like you said, human variants.

Crusader!
09-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Jormungand! Seriously, what could be cooler than a serpent that is large enough to encircle the earth?

eyo
09-01-2005, 03:29 AM
i like griffins :)

SirRon
09-01-2005, 06:13 AM
I'd definately have to say everything in the Planescape campaign setting in D&D. Tony DiTerlizzi (http://www.diterlizzi.com/) gave the universe SO much style. He's like my top 5 favorite artists. Oh, got a little off-topic there.

Specifically in the Planescape setting, I like the Marilith. I seriously recommend flipping through D&D monster manuals.

Skirnir
09-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Well since some are asking about labeling Human-variants as creatures here are some human variants in myth and religion

Dwarf
Gnome
Halfling
Elf
Drow
Lizardmen
Beastmen
Hobbit
Changling
Merfolk
Onocentaur
Hobgoblin
Hag

tufif
09-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Dont know about favs, but I wouldnt want to run into any of these .

And the shapes of the locusts [were] like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads [were] as it were crowns like gold, and their faces [were] as the faces of men. And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as [the teeth] of lions. And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings [was] as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle. And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power [was] to hurt men five months.

sounds real nasty.

Sounds sort of like how somebody from the past might describe an attack helicoptor.

bonestructure
09-01-2005, 03:30 PM
I'm partial to Norse and Irish. As far as Irish, I rather like the Morrigan and the Banshee. I'm particularly fond of brownies, a type of fairy that's rarely, if ever, portrayed.
Trolls have always been a favorite'
I also love Tolkien's Ents. If I could just model a decent tree.
We rarely seem to portray mythological giants either.
I've always been quite fond of the mythological figure of Death as well.

tufif
09-01-2005, 03:42 PM
My favorite portrayal of death has to be Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. He was good on the Family Guy too!

DorkmanScott
09-01-2005, 05:01 PM
My favorite portrayal of death has to be Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

"Do not overlook my butt. I work out all the time. Reaping burns a lot of calories."

I love that guy. So starved for attention. LOL

tfortier
09-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Chtulhu! Aaaaaaaaaaargh!

DorkmanScott
09-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Well since some are asking about labeling Human-variants as creatures here are some human variants in myth and religion

Dwarf
Gnome
Halfling
Elf
Drow
Lizardmen
Beastmen
Hobbit
Changling
Merfolk
Onocentaur
Hobgoblin
Hag

Halflings and hobbits are the same thing, aren't they?

PhilWesson
09-01-2005, 07:11 PM
http://gamesplus.in.ua/img/reviews/005/5806.gifDahaka from Prince of Persia 2 would have to be my personal favorite.

Skirnir
09-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Halflings and hobbits are the same thing, aren't they?

actually they are/were portrayed differently depending on the region of lore. Generally one could consider halfling/hobbits/gnomes/dwarfs all roughly the same in many modern cultures, however when you look at myths and religions that is not always the case.

I have seen in some myths, a halfing is a being that is half human, half dwarf(hence the term halfling). I have also seen halfling as a vicious culture of humanoids that resemble the other three but are different.

gnomes tend to be earth spirits in many myths

and dwarves tend to be a crafty civilization.

Hobbits are like the laidback small people civilization. :D

mv
09-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Well, Dragons hands down. But it is so much impregnated in our culture that it almost sounds boring.

Cthulhu is something too.

ArtisticVisions
09-02-2005, 12:31 AM
When I was kid, I had a thing for Norse mythology (of the beasts, I really liked Fenrir, Sleipnir, and the Midgard Serpent); dragons also rule in my book :D (that's how I got hooked on the old Dragonlance novels).

Lately I've been interested in biblical mythology - not just the angels and devils, but also the great beasts like Leviathan or Rahab.

Ghostscape
09-02-2005, 12:49 AM
I was kicked out of Boy Scouts for eating a Brownie! :shrug:
There's actually an entire subculture of erotic writing...

The bible has some really interesting stuff, although the things I find most appealing are the stuff in Revelations. Particularily the four beasts full of eyes (Rev 4) and the Lamb with 7 eyes and 7 horns (Rev 5) and of course...
17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication.
17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
17:6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.
17:7 And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.

I really dig the idea of the Mother of Abominations on her mount.

webhead
09-02-2005, 02:57 AM
The bible has some really interesting stuff, although the things I find most appealing are the stuff in Revelations. Particularily the four beasts full of eyes (Rev 4) and the Lamb with 7 eyes and 7 horns (Rev 5) and of course...
17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication.
17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
17:6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.
17:7 And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.

I really dig the idea of the Mother of Abominations on her mount.

That is the beast I was thinking of as well. The "mystery of the woman" riding the beast is, as I understand: The harlot pictured in the Bible known as Babylon the Great, (Babylon is where many pagan beliefs originated from that are even adopted into many Christian religions today) who is drunk with blood, is supposed to picture all those religions (Christian and Non-Christian) that carried out bloodshed on the Earth. Her being drunk with blood means she was responsible for many deaths and would ultimately pay the penalty for it.
So many terrible atrocities throughout history and today done by evil wackos all in the name of God. :cry:

Segvoia
09-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Religious Creature: Leviathan
Mythical Creature: The Gwyllgi or Welsh dog of darkness

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2005, 02:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.