PDA

View Full Version : Excellent simple drawing technique

DaveWortley
08-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Grab a bit of paper and a pencil,

draw your own hand drawing...

start off by doing the simple lines then try this...

scribble the lines of the curves of the skin, no outlines follow the contours

then try it again but keep it so the scribbles are really dense and you'll really feel the shape of the hand, you pencil should be hardly leaving the paper, every single stroke should follow a contour of the hand.

Now try drawing the other hand, but keep looking at the other hand, try not to look at your paper,

give it a go, really improves the way you draw humans and also keeps you looking at your subject whilst you draw it which really improves technique.

Dave

dinodog-jr
09-01-2005, 03:53 AM
Dave,

do u mean try to sketch my own hand which holding the drawing pencil?

I feel like not an easy task. It will be a little confuse until u get blur. My eyes get dizzy keep grabbing attention on my hand.

sometimes i got a problem in sketching, i can sketch better things on a messy paper(which oredi contains some scribbles) instead of a new paper. Anyone got such mind-distortion?

heythatreallyhurts
09-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Probably just because some people find a blank page a bit intimidating. I usually like to fill a page with a color or even some texture before I start drawing on it. As for the drawing technique, it sounds a lot like the gesture drawings one would do in a life drawing class. I agree, it's quite helpful, really quickens the hand.

DaveWortley
09-02-2005, 01:32 AM
Dave,

do u mean try to sketch my own hand which holding the drawing pencil?

I feel like not an easy task. It will be a little confuse until u get blur. My eyes get dizzy keep grabbing attention on my hand.

sometimes i got a problem in sketching, i can sketch better things on a messy paper(which oredi contains some scribbles) instead of a new paper. Anyone got such mind-distortion?

yeah try to draw your own which is holding your drawing pencil, don't try to blur it or do multiple poses.

Skirnir
09-02-2005, 02:06 AM
Sounds like M.C Escher...and he is one in a billion.

Captain Fandango
09-02-2005, 06:03 PM
start off by doing the simple lines then try this...

scribble the lines of the curves of the skin, no outlines follow the contours

then try it again but keep it so the scribbles are really dense and you'll really feel the shape of the hand, you pencil should be hardly leaving the paper, every single stroke should follow a contour of the hand.
\

Could it be... could you be suggesting... could it possibly... short stroke length???? BLASPHEMOUS DOG!!!

Quite frankly, I'm suprised you haven't already recieved the scorn of the cgtalk clergy. I, for one, can't count the times I've seen hapless members barraged by hurtful comments from testy forum monkeys denouncing their sins for not dragging the pen far enough across the page (for instance, check RebeccaK's anatomy tutorials - I believe there is a brief jibe on stroke length thereabouts).

As for the rest, I've certainly used this process of direct observation on occasion. Try extending your repertoire of body bits to include legs, feet, or, should you be blessed with a mirror, your own head or chest. Thanks for the post, old bean!

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2005, 06:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.