PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92F - To Texture or not to Texture?

quadpatch
08-31-2005, 11:40 AM
Here is the model from my avatar, I apologise if this comes up in another post as I tried to post it a few days ago and it's not appearing on the forum so it here goes again.

The model was started a long time ago (about 5 years) in Max 4, it was something I would do little bits to in the evenings after work. I used a 'Western Arms' gas BB gun for reference, I know roughly which parts on the gun are wrong so did those parts as I know they should be. The bullets, the writing down the side, the barrel, the magazine and the firing pin etc. are done from images in books and films. There is no texturing of any kind on the model at the moment hence the title of the post. I originally started off intending to model all the bits of detail I could to see. If I could get away without texturing then brilliant because back when I started the model I was bad at texturing and even more so at mapping. Now, I think I could do it but should I spend the time before putting it in my portfolio

The polygon count is about 120,000 but a lot of that is in the logo, diamond grip, modelled text and internal mechanism so without all that its about 15,000 polys.

If I get enough votes to texture it will be my next project after the 'ghost in the Shell' Tank: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=271619

So should I texture it or leave it as is and just animate it?...

http://photos23.flickr.com/38188035_c3ef1046c5_o.jpg

http://photos30.flickr.com/38188049_0e88e6fee9_o.jpg

http://photos22.flickr.com/38188081_5e3e8ff669_o.jpg

Augh
08-31-2005, 11:45 AM
Imo, looks faaar too good to leave untextured. You might want to consider swapping some details over to maps such as bump or displace, bump could probably handle most. Specmap would make it look really killer.

Given the writing is apparently geometry, I feel like an ass advising to check spelling of "parabellum", nonetheless... hehe.

Awesome model, great details :thumbsup:

quadpatch
08-31-2005, 11:54 AM
OH NOOOOO!! I didn't notice that =(. Thanks for pointing it out though as you are totally correct. It's not going to be too bad to fix... I think.

Do you really think it would be beneficial to get rid of modelling if the texture is applied or just because you wouldn't need it so much. It would pain me to take detail out. What I may do is a full modelled textured one and then a game spec one with low poly budget.

Augh
08-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Yeah I HATE things like that >_< And do them all the time T_T Glad I caught it rather than someone else though I guess hehe.

Reason I suggested mapping some of it is so that the mesh could be a lot clearer/lighter both for any revisions and for render times, but then maps kick that back up so yeah, dunno if it is "quicker". If it's easier for you to work with the gun with those details mesh based, then they work perfectly fine imo. Basically a case of what you find easier.

If you do decide to normal map a low poly one, this high poly is *perfectly* suited imo, since everything already is modeled. It would be a really keen map.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

quadpatch
08-31-2005, 12:33 PM
Ah yes someone else said it would be good to use this model as a normal map generator for a low poly model so I will deffinitely give that a go when I get round to it.

Thanks for your compliments and suggestions =)))

Edd

Nathellion
08-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Texture it. It's awesome.

Though I think that the shaders that you use will make this model really shine, rather than the textures.

Cheers. :)

quadpatch
08-31-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks Nathellion :D. That's 2 votes to texture :buttrock:, so it's looking like it will become my next project.

I'm in the middle of mapping the 100,000 polygon 'Ghost in the Shell' Tank at the moment and it's a real nightmare. Max takes minutes to update with that many polys in the Unwrap UVW window so I won't enjoy that part =(.

ParadiseFlyBird
08-31-2005, 02:45 PM
love the model man, i have always been a fan of untextured models and ambient occlusion,i just like the pure look especially if it's a clean model, like yours.
i would love to make a game thats lambert shaded with dirt map........ :)

texturing it will add a new dimention to the peice, but i personally think it looks good as is..

pfb

retardedmonkey
08-31-2005, 03:03 PM
I say texture it looks amazing as is but then you put a texture up on that bad boy and it would come alive. Great job so far!

quadpatch
08-31-2005, 03:35 PM
'ParadiseFlyBird' - I agree a radiosity style game could be realy cool and fairly easy to make too, as long as all the shadows were in the textures :eek:. I think you're of a similar opinion to me about the Beretta and like you say, adding a texture will add something to it so I'll put you down as another vote for.

'retardedmonkey' - Thanks for your kind words, your vote makes 4:0 for texturing. If I count 'ParadiseFlyBird's quote as a vote for, which it semi is :).

Ok, so if I do the texture shall I make the textures fairly subtle (new) or go for all out dirty (used) metal look? Should I make it similar to the rifle concept texture or totally different?: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=271739

Chems
08-31-2005, 08:53 PM
Definatly texture it, with that level of model detail, youd only need to add scratches etc to the metal base and it would look awesome.

quadpatch
09-01-2005, 06:39 AM
That's what I was hoping :). After the tedious mapping process I think I'll add some scratches and a nice specular map, does anyone know of any good metal textures on the net that could be used as a gun metal? Most I've seen are too dirty or just the wrong type of metal.

Woodrodius
09-01-2005, 07:20 AM
If nothing else, give it at least a specularity map so that it's material doesn't seem so matte. Great model btw.

Chems
09-01-2005, 11:30 AM
I think you will find this useful, http://st.burst.cc/tut_enin1.htm its the standard method most game modders use.

quadpatch
10-28-2005, 01:01 AM
I have been experimenting with VRay on this model and have decied, as nice as the renderer makes it look, that textures will help a lot so I am going to map it as soon as possible. I know it's taken me a while to realise this, I have been working on other projects.

Anyway, on with the render. Comments apreciated as always:

http://static.flickr.com/28/56724239_2c74c351ee_o.jpg

Havoc89
10-28-2005, 01:22 AM
Looks beautiful man. Awesome amounts of detail. I think you should texture it. Its brilliant. One question. How did you emblem text into the mesh? Did you use boolean? I tried that once, and I really regret it. :P

Anyways, awesome job mate. I look forword to seeing it texturized.

tobeythorn
10-28-2005, 02:05 AM
you geometric detail looks fantastic, although you surely could achieved similar results with texturing. i vote to keep some of the geometric detail, but also use textures. balance the use of both. the grip is excessive, as is the writing. also, as an example, there is no way that you could capture the grain of metal with geometry(as of now it looks a bit plastic). also, metal is a natural candidate for GI.

joshbare
10-28-2005, 08:44 AM
looking good, although I think it looks stronger unshaded.
If you are wanting to use it for a demo reel,a d you are not overly
confident with shading or texturing, much better to leave it plain!
Seen so many cool models ruined by a poor job at this (not in this case though)

Cyborg65
10-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Very nice model. I think you should just make good metal shader with glossy reflections, and a
specular map for small imperfections.

quadpatch
10-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks for your comments, it's all very useful.

In response to 'Havoc 69' about the text; I didn't use boolean for any of the text, I tried it and it's impossible. Don't you just love 3Ds Max? =. The logo is extruded from the spline and then distorted to fit the curve of the grip.

The text on the frame and slide are done by duplicating the text spline. Collapse one and bevel/extrude it as much as you wish. Then attach the second text spline to a rectangle that resembles the shape of the object. Then you just convert that spline to a mesh and the result is a rectangle with the text cut into it. You then attach that to your extruded text.

You can just leave it at that but if you want the model tidy (useful fro rendering). It's a good idea to subdivide the top and bottom edges of the rectangle (at the spline stage) so you don't get too many edges together. In the example below I made a subdivision for each letter, this may be a bit excessive. Now when you collapse to a mesh you get the result at the bottom. For some strange reason 3Ds Max (Ooo I love it so =) deals with the bottom edge ok (Circled) but the top edge doesn't work at all. There are 2 fixes for this, one is to turn the edges by hand and the other is to delete all the bad bits and just drag the edges up yourself. because max makes such a dogs dinner of even this I suggest not making too many polys in the curve of the text, as the more you have the harder this process can be.

http://static.flickr.com/30/56836668_d3018bfbe1_o.jpg

Here is the final result on the Beretta model:

http://static.flickr.com/24/56838507_ad20bf7b9f_o.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2005, 11:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.