PDA

View Full Version : Aqsis or Pixie

mjs1
08-30-2005, 03:56 PM
I wanted to download the source to one of the popular Renderman-compliant REYES renderers to look through. I was wondering if anyone had a preference of Aqsis or Pixie (or something else) in the areas of features, code readability, support (forums, etc.) and user base.

soopagenius
08-30-2005, 04:53 PM
I haven't looked at the code, but Pixie seems a much higher quality piece of software -- the shader compiler is much more stable, the rendering is faster, sometimes dramatically so, with fewer glitches and artifacts. Pixie also has GI features, which I believe Aqsis lacks.

Aqsis has been around for a while, but development appears to be happening at a snail's pace. Pixie appeared out of nowhere a couple years ago, with all these excellent qualities, but Okan Arikan, the author, appears to have moved on to other things, so I don't think it has been developed very much since its initial release.

I would really love to see a high-quality free renderer, and wonderful as Pixie is, it isn't quite there yet. I was using 3Delight, which is excellent indeed, but the recent new licensing restrictions are a bit onerous for a non-commercial user like me, and $1000 is steep-ish for me.

Kevin Atkinson

rendermaniac
08-30-2005, 09:55 PM
Aqsis has a good community around it - and was designed first and foremost as a REYES renderer. Paul Gregory who's in charge of it can probably add more details as he often keeps an eye on these boards. From what I have seen (admittedly not much) the code looks quite well organised, although it isn't the fastest available renderer. I am sure they would like the help if you were to contribute to the project.

Simon

Ayam
08-31-2005, 07:02 AM
[...]
I would really love to see a high-quality free renderer, and wonderful as Pixie is, it isn't quite there yet. I was using 3Delight, which is excellent indeed, but the recent new licensing restrictions are a bit onerous for a non-commercial user like me, and $1000 is steep-ish for me.
[...]

Then contribute! OS projects depend upon people that stop waiting but instead
just do it.

best regards,
Randolf,
--
http://www.ayam3d.org/ Reconstruct the World!

pgregory
09-01-2005, 07:32 AM
I haven't looked at the code, but Pixie seems a much higher quality piece of software -- the shader compiler is much more stable, the rendering is faster, sometimes dramatically so, with fewer glitches and artifacts. Pixie also has GI features, which I believe Aqsis lacks.
While I'm first to admit that Aqsis isn't at the moment as fast as Pixie, I take issue with the comments about "glitches and artifacts". We have a comprehensive regression test suite in the Aqsis CVS, that shows many many faults in other renderers (including Pixie and 3Delight) that don't show under Aqsis. If you have specific examples of content rendering incorrectly, I'd be really happy to see them, that way I can address the fault. If you take a look at our community, you will see that bugs get addressed very quickly when reported properly, despite the "snails pace" development.

Bottom line, as with all open source projects, we rely on people to report problems (properly via the bugs database) to be able to foward development. There seem to be an abundance of people willing to pass comment here and at other such forums, but not where it counts, directly to the developers. And, of course, the best way to address the "snails pace" development as you put it, is to contribute, open source projects exist for that reason. It seems to many people open source simply means "I can get it for free", there's more to it than that, open source projects succeed or fail by the people who contribute.

Cheers

PaulG

mjs1
09-02-2005, 03:14 AM
Thanks for all of the replies! I have downloaded both and am spending some time going through the various libraries.

Paul, I'd like to thank you for Aqsis, making it open source, and for your contibutions to the book "Production Rendering." These acts of generosity make understanding contributing to an advanced renderer within the grasp of non-PhD-level people like me.

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2005, 03:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.