PDA

View Full Version : XSI5: GIANT feature review

EdHarriss
08-30-2005, 02:41 PM
- For those of you that want to know more about XSI 5.
- I've written a GIANT feature review of XSI 5 and posted it on my site:
- http://www.edharriss.com/xsi/version5.htm

used2bgordy
08-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Let's get right to it. Thank you man.

lovisx
08-30-2005, 03:45 PM
wow it seems xsi and maya are now officially the same program. Only one is much more of a bargain. :thumbsup:

zukezuko
08-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Timeline and animation enhancements are very promising
cant wait

KolbyJukes
08-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Any news as to when it's going to be released?

mattmos
08-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the extensive review Ed! I'm officially at fever pitch for v.5 now... kind of sad to get so excited about a program but when I think of what I'll be able to do with the new version I just can't wait to get my hands dirty!

Airflow
08-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Yeeeeheeeheeee, cant wait....... must .....find .....more .....time .....to ......do more...............3.....d.....

trevlb
08-30-2005, 05:25 PM
just curious.. the what's new in version 5 document you refered to at the end of your review. is it possible to put a list from that online, or does that violate an NDA?

thanks for the review.

EdHarriss
08-30-2005, 07:19 PM
- Thanks everyone for the compliments!
- I don't know when it come out.
- I can't post the "what's new in XSI" without getting trouble. :)

alexyork
08-30-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm gonna have to upgrade to Essentials I think... if only to take advantage of my 64-bit system arriving tomorrow. [/gloat]

cheers Ed! :beer:

leigh
08-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Awesome! I can't wait to upgrade to v5 :buttrock:

SevenString
08-30-2005, 07:41 PM
:drool:

ncvmd,lalds;alturea

Oops, sorry. I was just wiping that off of my keyboard.

BillSpradlin
08-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Looks like it's time to take a serious look at XSI. Thanks for the review Ed.

paulrus
08-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Any news as to when it's going to be released?

Softimage sales told me mid-September..

KolbyJukes
08-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I been hearing that too, hopefully it's true.

larious
08-30-2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks Ed,

v5, your sure to be on my desk in a short time.:)

Pilchard
08-30-2005, 11:43 PM
Gonna be sweet!

Cheers man! ;)

craiggulow
08-30-2005, 11:53 PM
[Renée Zellweger]

You had me at Face Robot.

[/Renée Zellweger]

Bliz
08-31-2005, 12:43 AM
As a frustrated Maya5 complete owner (modeling anything slightly complicated in maya is torture...), the XSi v5 foundation is looking really tempting and will be cheaper than upgrading my maya license...

..BUT - do any XSi v5 beta testers know whether softimage have copied the Maya 'right mouse-button click' context menus or the Maya space bar triggered hotbox?

RangTang
08-31-2005, 12:51 AM
Are the middle button channel adjustments possible?

SimonPickard
08-31-2005, 01:11 AM
".BUT - do any XSi v5 beta testers know whether softimage have copied the Maya 'right mouse-button click' context menus or the Maya space bar triggered hotbox?"

XSI has always had this.

Just click the menu key (to the right of the right hand said windows key). This will bring up a context menu based on your current selection showing everything you can do with that slection.

Regards,
Simon.

Strang
08-31-2005, 06:47 AM
Are the middle button channel adjustments possible?

virtual sliders have been in xsi for a while..

AA_Tyrael
08-31-2005, 07:10 AM
i dont understand how you can transfer the uv of a model that has different poly count...

ThomasMahler
08-31-2005, 07:20 AM
i dont understand how you can transfer the uv of a model that has different poly count...

Magic.

Though I'd love to see that, too! ;)

j3st3r
08-31-2005, 07:39 AM
IMO it works on volume basis. The code checks the inspected point and the nearest source points according to object space, and calculates the UV for it. Or anything else. I think the basic idea is simply, but what makes it great that they did it, and works! To be honest, in XSI the only unusable feature was the ODE physics. I'm glad to see novodex.

icedeyes
08-31-2005, 07:48 AM
Ed.... You rule man.... Your site was one of the reasons that made me take a look at xsi.... Great review as always...:thumbsup:

adyy
08-31-2005, 09:37 AM
Ed, anything new about the FXTree ???
that was something that Maya hasn't and i was very curious about it. (i'm a maya user)

jason-slab
08-31-2005, 10:01 AM

not only uv's, but materials, vertex colors, property weight maps, envelope weights, and shape animation too!!

i can say it works like a charm!!

_j

thematt
08-31-2005, 10:08 AM
that gator thing is one reason we'll take a licence of Xsi, it's very powerfull, the bake ambiant occlusion is great too, not to mention face robot when it'll will be release can't wait.
As a maya user I can transfer using Fbx so I'll keep the rest in maya and use Xsi for its strengh (IMo maya has other thing to oofer that will make me keep it as the main app).

but I agree XSi seems better and better every realease.

thanks for the reveiw edd..great as always.

cheers

warpy
08-31-2005, 01:33 PM
its simply amazing, especially gator.. so what is the word on the street towards a release date?

BeWare
08-31-2005, 05:06 PM
press-release says September: http://www.softimage.com/home/press/pressreleases/050801_xsi5.htmjust can't wait, I've been hearing great things about XSI v5!

BabeBro
09-01-2005, 06:18 AM
This is quite amazing, Thanks Ed for the Review and Thanks Softimage for an incredible upgrade! I pre-ordered my FND upgrade and can't wait to get 5!

DimitrisLiatsos
09-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Gator, transformation Groups and keys on timeline ..(among couple of dozen other things) made me very happy....i now really am thinking upgrade to Essentials , just to take advantage of 64 bit...

Thanks Ed ...really nice review :thumbsup:

EdHarriss
09-01-2005, 08:20 PM
- adyy, I don't know what's new (if anything) in the fxtree.
- Thanks again to everyone for all your compliments. Glad you like the review!

AA_Tyrael
09-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Jason, i can understand how most of "Gator" things work, except the UV transfer

Different model= different cervature(Even slightly)=Texture Distortion
And when there is poly difference , and has to calculate the uv's(merge deleate etc) it would have to take some time to calc and even then cause quite a lot distortionss.

My guess is it does multiple plannar mapping(kinda like automatic mapping in maya) splited on parts and then unfold based on the profiles(pieces) of the old uv's

But even then it should cause at LEAST some distortions....

The videos in softimage website show this operation with flawless results , and i really cant beleave it

Anyone [b]used the uv transfer[b] here?

Cronholio
09-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Jason, i can understand how most of "Gator" things work, except the UV transfer

Different model= different cervature(Even slightly)=Texture Distortion
And when there is poly difference , and has to calculate the uv's(merge deleate etc) it would have to take some time to calc and even then cause quite a lot distortionss.

My guess is it does multiple plannar mapping(kinda like automatic mapping in maya) splited on parts and then unfold based on the profiles(pieces) of the old uv's

But even then it should cause at LEAST some distortions....

The videos in softimage website show this operation with flawless results , and i really cant beleave it

It's really not that complicated. A UV is just a vector, just three floats and you can treat it like any other attirbute on a point. They sample all the points on the source mesh within a given radius of a point on the destination mesh. The sampled values are then weighted based on their distance from the destination point. Since basicly what they are doing is averaging the coordinates for the new points based on their sample points, the resulting UVs are not going to be much different than the original UVs.

Strang
09-01-2005, 10:04 PM
...and i really cant beleave it

GATOR IS as advertised...

DaJuice
09-02-2005, 12:22 AM
It's not magic, as Cronholio said UV's are just like any other attribute. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/DaJuice/attrib_transfer.jpg

Cronholio
09-02-2005, 01:40 AM
This is one of those "hindsight is 20/20" type of features.

When I first saw the "feature" demoed in Houdini I was astounded. About 2 minutes after using the tool and realizing how it worked underneath, I was a bit pissed that this hadn't been implemented into every software a long, long time ago because it's such a simple concept. Touting this as a major feature at this point and giving it a clever name is kind of laughable. Developers should be embarassed they didn't do this about 10 years ago.

AA_Tyrael
09-02-2005, 03:10 AM
so basically i can make uv's for one guy and then not have to uv the others ? :-D

mattmos
09-02-2005, 01:06 PM
so basically i can make uv's for one guy and then not have to uv the others ? :-D

And you can do the same with the rig, enveloping, and even shape animation. It really is that good!

zukezuko
09-03-2005, 01:07 PM
thats nice
but i think something you dont want to do is, for example to transfer the envelopes of a dinosaur to a human like character.
:)

yog
09-03-2005, 01:52 PM
thats nice
but i think something you dont want to do is, for example to transfer the envelopes of a dinosaur to a human like character.
:)Unless it's a human character pretending to be a dinosaur :D

rock
09-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Unless it's a human character pretending to be a dinosaur :D

Or a dinosaur wanting to become human.

ThomasMahler
09-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Or a dinosaur wanting to become human.

Or a dragon who wants to become a fireman.

chow-mein
09-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Will an EXP edition be available for V.5?

Cronholio
09-03-2005, 09:02 PM
And you can do the same with the rig, enveloping, and even shape animation. It really is that good!

But it could be a whole lot better. From what I've seen you are limited to these sort of common attributes, and it seems to be implemented as a modeling tool (despite the fact that it is live). I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. Wouldn't it be much, much cooler if it worked with any arbitrary attribute, and could be used as an animation tool? Having objects pass custom attributes back and forth when they come into contact with eachother by proximity and using that to drive effects. You could have characters morphing into each other an not only swap their UVs, Shapes, Weighting and Material information but change their hair grooms and drive their shader parameters, their animation, adjust their hair... For something like a crowd animation of say, a modern battle, you could easily set up things like procedural landmines and explosions that would trigger effects and destroy agents... You could pass attributes from the world to agents when you spawn them based on where they spawn to determine look and behaviour traits for the agent... Endless possibilities.

rebo
09-03-2005, 09:33 PM
How does GATOR deal with more than one UV shell, Houdini cant deal with this, can gator?

DaJuice
09-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Well, the name is generalized attribute transfer operator, so i think it can be any attribute. I mean, it wouldn't make sense to restrict it to only a few. As for the UV shells, if you're talking about discontinous UVs, I've seen that in the gator screenies, so it can do it.

Cronholio
09-04-2005, 02:27 AM
How does GATOR deal with more than one UV shell, Houdini cant deal with

Actually Houdini can, it just requires using groups to isolate the shells. A bit more work than just plopping a SOP down but infinitely better than reskinning a whole character.

As for the name... I wouldn't assume anything. Every piece of software has a great feature or two in it that are incredibly shortsighted in design.

shingo
09-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Much of what you describe can be best achieved by other operators and events. For things as convoluted as hair, you woudl be opening a can of worms becasue fo the level of control required to achieve good results.

Crowd animation and spawning are best handled by AI algorithms and are more than just attributes.

But it could be a whole lot better. From what I've seen you are limited to these sort of common attributes, and it seems to be implemented as a modeling tool (despite the fact that it is live). I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. Wouldn't it be much, much cooler if it worked with any arbitrary attribute, and could be used as an animation tool? Having objects pass custom attributes back and forth when they come into contact with eachother by proximity and using that to drive effects. You could have characters morphing into each other an not only swap their UVs, Shapes, Weighting and Material information but change their hair grooms and drive their shader parameters, their animation, adjust their hair... For something like a crowd animation of say, a modern battle, you could easily set up things like procedural landmines and explosions that would trigger effects and destroy agents... You could pass attributes from the world to agents when you spawn them based on where they spawn to determine look and behaviour traits for the agent... Endless possibilities.

EdHarriss
09-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Crowd animation and spawning are best handled by AI algorithms and are more than just attributes.

- Good thing that Behavior is included with XSI advanced! :)

Heber
09-26-2005, 10:16 AM
ok seeing as i keep seeing those xsi 5 banners it should mean that its been released? website still marked "pre-order" only. Anyone have any official word...cant be long now......waitied too long already...

kgolebczyk
09-26-2005, 10:22 AM
hello
i have the same question as chow-mein (member.php?u=161591) : does anybody know that will be an EXP edition available for V.5?

DotPainter
09-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Yes. XSI foundation for v5 is $495 and you can upgrade for $395. See softimage.com.

dmonk
09-26-2005, 12:03 PM
ok seeing as i keep seeing those xsi 5 banners it should mean that its been released? website still marked "pre-order" only. Anyone have any official word...cant be long now......waitied too long already...

We Pre-ordered V.5 for foundation yesterday and the notice we recieved was that it would be shipped to us soon. I'm not sure if it's actually out yet. I can't wait to try it out.

poly-phobic
09-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Yes. XSI foundation for v5 is $495 and you can upgrade for $395. See softimage.com.
so i can buy foundation and upgrade to advanced for $395?
plz say yes...

digital verve
09-26-2005, 01:04 PM
so i can buy foundation and upgrade to advanced for $395?
plz say yes...

No. :)

You pay the full price of Advanced, minus the cost of Foundation if you had previously bought it. :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2005, 01:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.