PDA

View Full Version : Optical Illusions

eugenfx
08-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Hello!

This is Optical Illusions.
3 minutes, Quicktime.

Watch/download the film here: (http://www.eugen.ro/anim/iluzii_web.MOV)
http://www.eugen.ro/splash.jpg

Enjoy.

ZONKS
08-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Make it easy for people; the direct link is http://www.eugen.ro/blog/go.php?http://eugen.ro/anim/iluzii_web.MOV

Scithious
08-30-2005, 11:17 PM
i love it man, great job at using perspective in there...good job keep it up

eugenfx
08-31-2005, 08:41 AM
Right on, link corrected, thanks.
Here's the link again:
http://www.eugen.ro/anim/iluzii_web.MOV

kyrobyro
08-31-2005, 10:38 AM
good job that song for tiamat is awesome

SpinLight
08-31-2005, 10:39 AM
Nice work. I like the Sprite-like guy, couldn't notice the resemblance. I don't like some camera moves, and the edit is a little bit shakey here and there. I like most the one with the stairs. The lighting-rendering-texture can be improved but the messege is pretty clear and original alltogether.
Good work !

eugenfx
08-31-2005, 09:58 PM
About the Sprite guy: well, at the time I made this,
the sprite guy was not on TV. I mean he (fido dido)
did exist as a cartoon few people knew about.
This was in Summer 2003. Yep, that long ago.

Good observations about camera movement and
lighting. True.

pokoy
08-31-2005, 10:17 PM
liked it very much.

Zoox
09-01-2005, 04:35 AM
That was really cool :applause: I really liked it, I love that kind of stuff :thumbsup: really really great, keep it up :)

StormyQ
09-01-2005, 07:54 AM
Beautify Job. I'm a big escher fan I had wondered how some of his work would translate into a 3d digital environment.

eugenfx
09-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Beautify Job. I'm a big escher fan I had wondered how some of his work would translate into a 3d digital environment.

It's not that hard really... once you devise an algorithm for modelling the illusion.
It's all about knowing precisely where the camera will be, when you want the illusion to appear. What's a little bit harder is to actually make the object look "right" even when the camera is not in place. Otherwise the trick becomes too obvious.

tudormuscalu
09-03-2005, 03:57 PM
bigup, i keep seeing this fun eugen guy everywhere, hihihi :)

tudormuscalu
09-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Great ! You in here aait? Everywhere Eugene!

Good job, man!

aliasfreak101
09-04-2005, 12:24 AM
wow i must say, that was very well done. The music moved with the film very good, and the camera angles offered a very cinematic presence. The concept was very imaginative and unique.

''Nicely Done''

Sinistar83
09-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Wow that was pretty cool.. nice animation.. Loved the M.C. Escher style. :)

stepington
09-14-2005, 02:06 AM
One heck of dream! That was a lot of fun to watch! Thanks so much for sharing! I'd be interested in reading anything you'd like to say about making this piece. :thumbsup:

webhead
09-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Sometimes, real life seems just as abstract and confusing as the world you created here.
Good job. Two questions: What software was used? What method did you use to animate the hand drawn face on the 3D character?

JonyK
09-14-2005, 05:04 PM
This reminded me of the movie "The Labrinth", it was in black and white, it was a very good movie, tons of illusion tricks. Good Animation, 3 stars here!

eugenfx
09-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Hello again, guys.
Thanks for the feedback.

The idea of this film was born in the summer of 2000 and it was the story of a blind man living in a beautiful world of visual illusions. At the time I was busy with admittance exams, so I never really started working on it. But the idea kept growing in the back of my head.

So in 2003 I had to choose something for my graduation project - so it only seemed natural to do the film. It took me half a year to finalize the story - well, i was in no hurry; any intervention I made was of the type "wake up at night, write down the idea, back to sleep" - the best way there is.

About the character design: I'm a lazy-no-good-character-animator, so the design was built around the idea "make it easy to animate": pointy feet(for easy ground contact) tiny-tiny shoulders (do I need to explain why?) and he's basically flat (no bulges to worry about). His being flat was actually part of the concept, (i.e. he's a slave of the third dimension who plays with him.) Somehow he ended up looking like Fido-Dido, although i noticed that only months after.

It took me 2 months to complete the animation, from first vertex to final export with music.
Tiamat and Century were kind enough to give me rights to use their song. I'll return with more technical details if you want to see them.

Brigitte
09-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Nice animation, I love optical illusions, I'm always fascinated about them. :thumbsup:

eugenfx
09-18-2005, 01:22 AM
Sometimes, real life seems just as abstract and confusing as the world you created here.
Good job. Two questions: What software was used? What method did you use to animate the hand drawn face on the 3D character?

one answer to both questions:
"endomorphs"

rhino23
09-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Excellent job! Very unique idea and you pulled it off very well, I too had wondered how well Escher could translate into 3d, I was just too lazy to ever try it. Nice music choice too! Great job!!

webhead
09-18-2005, 11:12 PM
one answer to both questions:
"endomorphs"

Ah, another "Waver", eh?

Chris Bacon
09-19-2005, 12:57 AM
Magical......soothing..but I also felt sorry for the little guy.....

nice work

eugenfx
09-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Ah, another "Waver", eh?

we've become an endangered species lately, haven't we...

Grrrrrrr
09-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Good job!I loved it and you made me proud! I hope we will see you pretty soon with somenthing new!!

Ma bucur ca si Romania e in stare sa realizeze lucruri frumoase!Bravo!!

Lassjus
09-22-2005, 12:33 AM
Wow.. What an idea! I really like it. It's a bit slow, but it fits the little paperman just fine. The ending is exelent!

--Lassjus--

eugenfx
09-22-2005, 10:05 PM
A couple of stills here, i almost forgot:
http://www.eugen.ro/portfolio.php?categ=3d

jigu
09-24-2005, 04:38 PM
ohhh man!! this is simply the gr8!!

i love the last illusion.superb job u have done.:thumbsup:

eugenfx
09-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Wow.. What an idea! I really like it. It's a bit slow, but it fits the little paperman just fine. The ending is exelent!

--Lassjus--

well how do i put this... the ending is kinda accidental. I was going for a longer story,
but then at some point I just cut it... and it felt much better. At the time it was not
my option to cut there, because i had to present it to the school.

But the way things worked out, this ended up being a more powerful ending.

box3dg
09-27-2005, 02:04 AM
It's very nice shot!

E remarcabil cum ai reusit sa-l transpui pe Escher in spatiul 3D. Nu ma asteptam la finalul acela. Felicitari!

Sir_Penguin
09-27-2005, 07:03 AM
That is so cool :thumbsup:
I love the music

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2005, 07:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.