PDA

View Full Version : Serialize a rig in Maya

Xtruder
08-30-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi all,
Does anybody know how to serialize a rin in Maya?
I mean:
Think you have a biped character in Maya.
You make all the rig stuff you want (Ik, Controls, Driven Keys, interface Etc etc).
After few days someone gives you another character wich is "kinematically"
equal to the old one but is proportionally unequal: say longer arms and shorter legs.
Now you want to reuse the rig you love and already prepared (with the advantage to create
a standard in you production, same names, same controls and stuff)

How you that?
Scaling bones wont work 'cause we lose IK relations.

So?

darkjedi1929
08-30-2005, 04:07 PM
hey Xtruder.

What you are asking for is definetly possible...All you gotta do is use MEL. Heard of Final Rig? That is exactly what you need in my opinion. Try visting www.radiantsquare.com (http://www.radiantsquare.com)

In brief, just take your rig and then code it's construction up in MEL. You have to follow this structure basically:

> Create some helper objects which help you define the basic dimensions of your character, i.e., where the shoulders are, where the elbows are, etc.

> Then taking the positions of those helper objects, create the joints.

> Setup the IK and other things as required.

It may sound a little confusing if you read it, but just check out the link above, you will understand what I mean.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

lucille
09-01-2005, 04:16 PM
It is possible to do this--but your really better off scripting your "hero" rig and then
running the script on different base skeletons. Failing that--abstract your hero rig
no deformers or parented extras--and save it. Now create a stripped version of this
rig---just a simple base skeleton. Take this base skel and pose it inside your new character.
Only translate joints on the major axis--so the rotations will be maintained. Save this.
Now re import your stripped hero rig. If you don't know mel this is a good time to learn.
You'll need to reset the translations (major axis only) on your rig joints to match
your new template skeleton. Then you'll need to match the rotations. Finally you'll
need to repostion your ik controllers and handles. You may need to freeze some contoller
values--depending on how you deal with that...Good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
09-01-2005, 04:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.