PDA

View Full Version : Fire, Water, War and Peace

Cybergooch
08-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Hey all, wanted to post a piece I just finished:

http://www.cybergooch.com/images/artwork/firewaterwarpeace.jpg

This was lit with Lumen for the skyfill. I was getting render times of 2 hours + when using radiosity, even with low settings. That time dropped to about 25 minutes with Lumen, and the tests I was doing showed little difference between the two, so I consider Lumen a good buy, especially for how easy it is to set up.

I used Jenna Iterator for the lines of monks going into the temple, and Jenna Tweener for the railings and temple stairs.

The photos of the sky and the mountains were shot at my house in northern Nevada. :)

Enjoy!
-E

lightblitter22
08-30-2005, 01:25 AM
Beautiful composition/idea. Like it a lot.

Daoine
08-30-2005, 01:58 AM
Beautiful image Eric, I love the composition.

Save Jenna!!!

Daoine

hightillidie
08-30-2005, 05:17 AM
Wow , thats so beatifull, any chance of a bigger version> ?

JoelOtron
08-30-2005, 05:48 AM
Wow--thats some image.
Great job!

If you are looking for any critiques--then heres one (otherwise just skip)
The big shiva statue in the distance looks a bit too crisp and contrasty to me--which diminishes its scale, distance and volume a bit. I might not have the shadows be so black and , maybe have some backlight creeping into the back ends of the shadows, like under the arms, behind the head, under the knee etc. Maybe add a touch of atmospheric haze between the foreground and the statue to push the space more.

But you're probably done with it right :)

Thanks for posting.

wuensch
08-30-2005, 07:39 AM
:thumbsup:
Great picture,
great fantasy-- could be a cover for a novel, great execution.

I second JoeIDs input that the depth of the statue could be improves (mybe a little fog near the bottom from water-spray?)
--but the pic is damn good and you could easily add the forg or dust in Photoshop with a few stroke if you wanted--
on the other hand the pic has a nice contrast and an illustrative feeling to it, so I would only tweak a little tiny bit.
:buttrock:
Olli

flyingP
08-30-2005, 07:49 AM
nice composition, the moons bug a me a wee bit atm, but it's nothing major, all n' all a very nice image :applause:

Cybergooch
08-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Wow , thats so beatifull, any chance of a bigger version> ?

Thanks Hightillidie, here's a link (http://www.cybergooch.com/cgtalk/FireWaterWarPeace.jpg) to a 1280 x 1024 version.

Cybergooch
08-30-2005, 05:34 PM
@ Joel & Olli...you guys are absolutely right about the atmosphere adding to the depth and scale. I had an environment object in the scene earlier on, and tweaked it for forever for depth and opacity and color and everything else, but wasn't happy with the result. I wanted the sky and mountains to be clear, and the haze interfered too much.

I guess that means it's leaning towards an illustrative look then as opposed to photoreal, but in this case I preferred the higher contrast. Although I also have to say that a number of the reference photos I worked from showed a surprising lack of atmosphere, with really dark shadows.

JoelOtron
08-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Understood--all makes sense Eric.

Just reacting to the image and being super picky as usual :)

You should post it on renderosity and the finished work section out in the main forums here at cgTalk. Front page material in my book.

Some blow-up details would be cool too. My eyse wander off into those blue and orange tunnels and I want to see whats in there. :)

Aurety
08-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Great Picture Eric, just a little critic for the angle of the sun and the triangular light under the bridge, hard to read the real width of the bridge with this view so this lighting seem weird. Sorry for my poor english to explain that... :sad:

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2005, 07:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.