lildragon
11-04-2002, 11:24 PM
let em rip

SheepFactory
11-04-2002, 11:31 PM
I am so in this challenge :beer:

Soeren Nielsen
11-04-2002, 11:43 PM
woopiedoo! :D Im there too, hmmm gotta fetch a cam of some sort.
/me goes to find a junkie who is willing to act stupidly for a burger or two

amckay
11-05-2002, 01:26 AM
Hey, erm if we don't have access to a camera can we just shoot a still image and just animate the hell out of everything via projection mapping? :) (as long as it looks good)

-Allan McKay

AlexAlvarez
11-05-2002, 02:27 AM
I went back and forth on this one, and in the end the answer was no...
sorry, but integrating CG into video is part of the challenge.

:)

A.

A MacVey
11-05-2002, 02:28 AM
i'm pretty sure i'm in

DragomanJK
11-05-2002, 04:30 AM
Have you seen the price on those Canons???!!! :thumbsdow :jawdrop:
only $3,500, any reviews/info, not that I would ever get one.

But real question- matte paintings for after destruction?

I've never integrated live footage with CG, just done few CG animations... how much hard drive space are we talking about for uncompressed video from a normal Sony camera via firewire?

zoom? digital or normal?

Must include some sort of 3d, or can it all be smoke and fire and matte cuts?

SheepFactory
11-05-2002, 05:00 AM
5 Seconds of uncompressed footage should be around 200-300 mb

The canon xl1 is very nice , but the sony handycam should be just fine for this challenge. Thats what i am going to be using also.

good luck!

aazimkhan
11-05-2002, 05:00 AM
Oh..thats sad then.....since we cant use still images.
I wanted to give this challenge atleast a try...

oh well.

:sad:

RobertoOrtiz
11-05-2002, 05:06 AM
Cool contest, I hope I can participate.

I have one question, for the recording of the live action.

How important is to use a tripod with the camera?

Here is the DC area cops have been REALLY paranoid about tripods after 9-11 and the sniper.

I know this because I have tried before to record some stock footage, and repeatedly been stopped by the cops.
:annoyed:

Any ideas?

Anyway I have some camera tracking software.

Thanks,

-Roberto Ortiz

Gilgamesh
11-05-2002, 05:09 AM
aazimkhan: You don't know anyone with a video camera? Maybe there is someone in his area that can help him out?

Sheep: I think I'm going to be doing the caricature, but if you need someone to run around in your video, or fall into a crack, or get crushed by some concrete, give me a call. :thumbsup: An earthquake visual effect in San Francsico is perfect.

SheepFactory
11-05-2002, 05:29 AM
totally :beer:

CobraX
11-05-2002, 05:33 AM
Hi,

- Is the use of Camcorders Mini DV fine?
- What do you mean by model the street geometry?
- What Textures do we apply to the geometry if there is already the street live action?

....i am really sorry to ask those dumb questions. I don't want the professionals to be desperate reading my post. But i really want to learn VFX and want to get in the challenge...

Thank you.

:blush:

aazimkhan
11-05-2002, 05:35 AM
Why cant we use still images...i understand that camera tracking will be easier...but same amount of effort is put into other parts....like creating the CG elements, correct prespective, color-correction, masking etc etc.

Heres a scene from my lil vfx reel, I did using still image...and was wodering if i could do something similar for the challenge.

www.aazim.odhn.com/test/vfx_comp.avi (http://www.aazim.odhn.com/test/vfx_comp.avi)

:)

amckay
11-05-2002, 05:50 AM
yeah I'm sure worst case scenario I'll find a way to record footage, although I've lost count of how many times I've worked on shots for features where the plate is just a still and we've had to put the matte pieces in and then animate 3d cars ect. moving to make it look like it's footage moving.

derelict
11-05-2002, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by aazimkhan
Why cant we use still images...i understand that camera tracking will be easier...but same amount of effort is put into other parts....like creating the CG elements, correct prespective, color-correction, masking etc etc.

That is because it is the nature of the challange... meaning there must be a video grains, tree waving or water flowing and all that moving stuff that comes with a footage.

Take it from me aazim... having to doctor the moving footage is wayyyy easier than working on stills.

5 seconds you say?...well, story boading and the angle of the footage it the main player here i supposed.

lildragon
11-05-2002, 07:14 AM
new rule posted

8) To avoid server bandwith issues please keep your test animations below the 150K anything above this is problematic (this of course applies only to those people that will be uploading their WIP to our servers)

salud

derelict
11-05-2002, 07:20 AM
150K... we will be posting cr*p!... can it be maybe a little bigger. lol:)

lildragon
11-05-2002, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by derelict
150K... we will be posting cr*p!... can it be maybe a little bigger. lol:)

Yes! find your own server to host it on ;)

salud

MrWyatt
11-05-2002, 07:28 AM
I hope I will have time for this, I would love to, as this is the main reason I went into cg-graphics, VFX.

derelict
11-05-2002, 07:41 AM
Yes! find your own server to host it on

That was helpful of you. A simple NO would have been better.

googlo
11-05-2002, 08:52 AM
I Think it would have been more forum user friendly if a sample stock of live footage that met the requirement was made available for download, that way at least the people who couldn't make the footage themselves could still participate.
I don't think this is unreasonable. In past classic challenges models were provided for people to texture that hadn't participated in the previous modelling challenge so they could compete with the current one. I kind of feel like this is the same type of situation.
Just voicing an idea here so people don't feel left out and could compete still if they wanted to give something like this a try. :)

vfx
11-05-2002, 09:35 AM
Well,I have a lot of uni work at the mo but I will definitely participate in a vfx challenge - about time this happend - congrats to cgchallenge on their great work!!!

Look forward to this it kinda creates initiative to do something - Inspiration Factory!!!!

lildragon
11-05-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by derelict
That was helpful of you. A simple NO would have been better.

But it's the truth, if you have server space you can use it. We're already bending over backwards here. Have a tiny bit of sympathy :hmm:

salud

derelict
11-05-2002, 10:08 AM
But it's the truth, if you have server space you can use it. We're already bending over backwards here. Have a tiny bit of sympathy

Hi lildragon,

I thought you sounded a little sacastic there... I guess i was wrong. I will try to hunt down a site for it than.

Cheers!

lildragon
11-05-2002, 10:09 AM
No harm done.

Enjoy

MrWyatt
11-05-2002, 10:43 AM
Iīm in a filmclass, so I have access to cameras and stuff like that, but I guess there are some out there who arenīt that lucky and wonīt be able to participate for that reason.

1. Will it be possible to participate with not self shot footage such as ripping it from a DVD or footage you find in the internet?

2. I know matchmoving a lifeplate that wasnīt filmed from a tripod but out of your hand is more difficult, but it doesnīt require 10000 $ apps to do the trick. So will there be challenges where it will be possible to use panned, zoomed and tilted liveplates as well as still ones in the future. Here is a nice link to a free-for-non-comercial-issues cameratracker that works realy great.

ICARUS (http://aig.cs.man.ac.uk/icarus/)

just my 2 cents on this.:insane:

Mouser
11-05-2002, 02:23 PM
I think that having set paramaters to define the playing field is exactly how most of us recieve shots to work on. Unless you are on set (which often times isn't possible) then you're given the plate that they shot. if the director shot it locked off, it's our job to make that work. I think that's why everyone needs to have a locked off shot to start as a base. that's also why alex said the fissure can't extend past the street. If the script calls for only a fissure in the street, we probably can't go rogue and start making the whole neighborhood crumble into a gaping pit :D ... arbitrary paramaters are a fact of life in the vfx biz

at least that's how it is for me :)

~G

RobertoOrtiz
11-05-2002, 02:25 PM
If we have multiple scenes, do we have to do ALL the shots
with a live action element in them?

And I am still fuzzy about the tripod rule.
(see my earlier post)

-Roberto Ortiz

Mouser
11-05-2002, 03:13 PM
I'm going to give this challenge a whirl. do we post WIP's here? or on CG Challenge? Not sure if CG Challenge is a gallery or a new board to handle all the challenge activity :shrug:

~G

CobraX
11-05-2002, 03:14 PM
can someone please tell me why we have to model street geometry please?

And what textures do we apply to the street?

i am lost...it's my first time VFX....

AND By the way....can we use the stuff we create here in our Port- Folio? or Demo Reel?

lildragon
11-05-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by gcapps
I'm going to give this challenge a whirl. do we post WIP's here? or on CG Challenge? Not sure if CG Challenge is a gallery or a new board to handle all the challenge activity :shrug:

~G

CGChallenge acts as a hub to host all the challenge pics and info, all WIP stays in the forums. CGTalk and CGchallenge go hand in hand.

good luck

salud

AlexAlvarez
11-05-2002, 04:38 PM
tripod: The only way to shoot something with a locked down camera is on a tripod... and the rules call for video shot with a locked down camera.

modeling street: Your liveaction footage will have a street in it. You are going to be adding CG cracks and fissures to the street. You will therefore need to model a 3D representation of the street.

still image: Working on a still shot with a 35mm camera is not the same as working with video. This is a CG/video challenge.

A.

Phred42
11-05-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by RobertoOrtiz
[B]If we have multiple scenes, do we have to do ALL the shots
with a live action element in them?

And I am still fuzzy about the tripod rule.
(see my earlier post)

Hi Roberto,

"You do not remember how bad Jaws 3 was because your brain protects you!" ;)

I thought the guidelines Alex posted were pretty clear. The end result is a single, five-second shot of moving video. Since he wants your original plate, then it'll have to match his specs - unless you can fake him out by making a moving matte painting out of stills and various 3d bits. =P

"Locked off" usually means on a tripod (and not panning or anything), but you could probably put your camera on a stack of books or one of those City Paper dispensers and no one would know!

A question to Alex and Tito- the guidelines specifically mention DV acquisition. Can we go higher-quality than that if we have access to the equipment? A buddy of mine has some film stock he's itching to get rid of, and he occaisionally also has access to high-def cameras (I'd probably downconvert to anamorphic standard def if we went that way, though.) What are the specs of the 2 non-sorensen deliverable movies?

-Brian

AlexAlvarez
11-05-2002, 05:25 PM
If you have access to HD or Film equipment, be my guest. :)
I assume you know that digitizing them is a much more involved process, and if you haven't digitized HD yet, you may want to check that before you shoot.

We just did effects for a Roger Corman film shot on HD and we got the plates a month late because of HD digitization problems... the original house couldn't get them digitized correctly, so finally Cinesite did us a favor and digitized the footage.

A.

Chris
11-05-2002, 06:35 PM
How do you guys want the original shot? Original Res or downsized to 320x240?

so do you want to receive for example:

x1 sorenson2 320x240 final (for web)
x1 Pal DV 720x576 Original plate
x1 Pal DV 720x576 Final Comp

:) This sounds cool! I'm in!

RobertoOrtiz
11-05-2002, 07:40 PM
Phred42 thanks for your idea!

:thumbsup:

Thanks to your suggestion I have decided
to throw my hat in the race.

Thanks

-Roberto Ortiz

amckay
11-05-2002, 07:49 PM
CobraX, RE: Modeling street geometry ect..

http://www.3dluvr.com/content/article/66
http://www.3dluvr.com/content/article/67
http://www.rethinkfx.com/tutorials/compmax.htm

There's some tutorials on compositing/visual effects which might give you a better understanding on matting out 3d scenes with geometry to cast and receive shadows as well as control interaction with the CG and live action elements.

-Allan McKay.

CobraX
11-05-2002, 11:06 PM
Thank you very much AMcKay and also Pyro for the Help.

The tuts on 3dluvr look good. Do I map(i am using maya) the picture in Perspective or in Front view?

I am really happy i am going to learn how to make nice VFX :D

Watch me coming ...

I'll be the best in 2 months

...hahhahaha whatever...i wish :p

hehe

take care all. :)

vfs-frenchie
11-06-2002, 11:50 AM
aazim u should read carrefully no stills images like your demo buy u a digital camcorder u super rich since u from uea

DAmn Z lol
talk u u later buddy

vfs-frenchie

icedeyes
11-06-2002, 08:12 PM
Is there anywhere we can get a video of a street?? I would like to take part in this challenge mainly for practice but i don't have a digital cam. Can anyone help??? Thanks in advance...

recon
11-06-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by RobertoOrtiz
Cool contest, I hope I can participate.
---------
Here is the DC area cops have been REALLY paranoid about tripods after 9-11 and the sniper.

I know this because I have tried before to record some stock footage, and repeatedly been stopped by the cops.
:annoyed:
--------

-Roberto Ortiz

Just take a couple of guys, wear orange safety vests, and carry clipboards. If a cop confronts you, ask him to be in your movie!
(Really it might work!)

-j

Arioch
11-07-2002, 05:31 PM
Obviously the look of the shot is the challenge here but should we be concerning ourselves with adding audio at all? Just curious since sound FX can add so much to a shot but I don't want to waste any time on it if the final comp should be silent.

Leonard
11-07-2002, 10:08 PM
Good question.

To make it fair (because we're concentrating on VISUAL effects), I would think that for judging purposes, no sound effects be used.

But I don't make the rules - Tito and Alex, what do you think?

Leo

Skeeter33
11-08-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by googlo
I Think it would have been more forum user friendly if a sample stock of live footage that met the requirement was made available for download, that way at least the people who couldn't make the footage themselves could still participate.
I don't think this is unreasonable. In past classic challenges models were provided for people to texture that hadn't participated in the previous modelling challenge so they could compete with the current one. I kind of feel like this is the same type of situation.
Just voicing an idea here so people don't feel left out and could compete still if they wanted to give something like this a try. :)

I really have to agree because I would truly love to take part in this challenge, but its a bit hard to do without a cam and no one i know has one. Oh well, maybe in a future VFX challenge this may be considered. I sure hope so.

Ronski
11-08-2002, 09:16 PM
As I don't have access to a camera is it okay if we source the background plate from stock footage?

Cheers,
Kieron

amckay
11-09-2002, 12:32 AM
Hey Kieron, are you entering? It'd be great to see what you come up with ;)

AlexAlvarez
11-09-2002, 12:39 AM
Yes, stock footage is fine...

A.

AlexAlvarez
11-09-2002, 12:42 AM
Re: sound....

Not a requirement, but I have no problem hearing some rumbling, crunching, screeching, ...

A.

Ronski
11-09-2002, 11:25 AM
Hi Allan,
well if I can get the footage & get some time (time is the hard bit!) I'll give it a go but keep your expectations low :thumbsup:

Kieron

3dsmax5
11-12-2002, 10:16 AM
A little fact....quakes this size usually last more than 5 seconds.
(I presume it's a magnitude 6.0?)
It's like yelling in a canyon...yelling louder makes the echo last longer.
:shrug:

CobraX
11-12-2002, 11:59 PM
Hi all :annoyed: ...i would like to know if anyone here is using maya for their earthquake...

I am, and i really can't figure out how to make the street match with the shot, and texture it etc etc...

All i need is just a pointer...

So if you please have the time, help me... :shrug:

i thank you very much

:scream:

amckay
11-13-2002, 12:44 AM
Bleh I was going to use max if I was entering, but basically get your plate and create a image plane under environment in your camera attributes and set up the appreture size to be whatever image and pixel aspect ratios
such as 1.778 and 1.33 (that's for HD though) and the other necessary options.

I haven't done any projection mapping in Maya yet although I think there's a projection node or else surely at least some uv map nodes that can read the cameras mapping. Eitherway hopefully someone else can comment on this area, but essentially set up the plate and begin matting out your scene and lighting it ect. And go from there.

Personally I don't think I'll be entering this challenge as I haven't really got any free time to go out and shoot footage, although I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

- Allan

astrofish
11-28-2002, 12:20 PM
Since the deadline is getting close, could you clarify where the final submissions are to be uploaded? Are we to just add a link to our threads and host them ourselves, or will there be somewhere to upload them to?

Also, is anything else to be included in the submission other than the original footage and the final footage (e.g. storyboard)?

Leonard
11-28-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by astrofish
Since the deadline is getting close, could you clarify where the final submissions are to be uploaded? Are we to just add a link to our threads and host them ourselves, or will there be somewhere to upload them to?

Also, is anything else to be included in the submission other than the original footage and the final footage (e.g. storyboard)?

Yup I have to code that module into the Challenge website. I can't do it till next week. I persoally think the deadline has to be extended though, as it looks like everyone's sort of only halfway there.

Leo

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.