PDA

View Full Version : November 2002 challenge issues resolved in this thread

baby
11-05-2002, 12:13 AM
what's this rule ?!?!?

I mean it's like asking no model with 5 vertices poly !!!!!!!

OK body animation is what comes first...and it's really important...

but why rejecting a whole important part of animation ?!? no Eyes morphing ?!? no mouth opening ?,!? no special morph squash and stretch ?!?!? huuuuu....no blink ?!?

nb : no sound ?! so why are all the studios recording sound before animation starts ?!?

bentllama
11-05-2002, 12:16 AM
Not for the first challenge baby...

...the idea is to focus on the body language...which happens to be one of the MOST important parts of character animation...

bentllama
11-05-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by baby

YES, it is.

no Eyes morphing ?!?

PLACE a bone in the eye geometry and scale the bone.

no mouth opening ?,!?

Nowhere in the rules does it say characters are jawless. Use a bone to animate the jaw. Parent the jaw geometry to a bone and rotate the bone.

no special morph squash and stretch ?!?!??

Squash and stretch can be acheived through scaling parts of the skeleton.

huuuuu....no blink ?!?

Again, the absence of eylids is not required. Parent the eyelid geometry to a bone and rotate the bone.

no sound ?! so why are all the studios recording sound before animation starts ?!?

Ever hear of pantomime? How about silent films? Working with sound adds an extra level to the challenge. We may work with sound in the future, but pantomime exercises are a great test for one's animation ability.

All in all i hope I have opened your eyes to the cahllenge and what you can do with the restrictions given and a little bit of thought and common sense. I cannot wait to see some of the entries!

Now quit reading and go start thumbnailing for your aniamtions! :)

baby
11-05-2002, 01:43 AM
but a "how the hell am I going to do this because I can do that or that or that very easily" contest ?!?

SO I must concentrate on doing a complex character setup instead of focusing on animation...

:wip:

just kidding

part of my work is basicaly preparing characters for animators, to make their life easier...so they don't have to bother on technical stuff...

Theta-Dot
11-05-2002, 02:43 AM
I'm not very wise with all of this. What does "sectional geometry is a must, (this will level the playing field if you choose to use a high or low poly model, and it will also eliminate the need for envelopes)" What does that mean?
Also: "no blendshapes/morph targets/or deformations" Would a bend or melt modifier in max be a deformation? Thanks

-ThetaDot

A MacVey
11-05-2002, 03:31 AM
could i use pre-existing models for this, like a character that came with max or one i download off the net, as long as i make my own rig?

jschleifer
11-05-2002, 03:31 AM
The idea is that we don't want people spending unnecessary time modeling complicated geometry to try and make a model look good.. and spend less time animating it.

The whole point, as bentllama put it, is to focus on character animation, not on modeling technique or skinning technique. This "levels the playing field" because someone who can animate a series of boxes so well that you think the thing is crying over the fact that it can't use the restroom.. is going to be much more sucessful than someone who can't really animate, but can model like the dickens.. or someone who spends all their time creating intricate deformers to make the skin appear to move, bulge, etc etc etc, but doesn't actually spend the time animating.

The thing to realize is that having an amazing model, or NOT having an amazing model isn't going to matter. What matters is having an amazing animation.

-jason

oh yeah, as for sectional geometry.. that simply means pieces of geometry which are just parented under the joints. You can use cubes, or cylinders, or interlocking pieces of geo.. but don't worry about skinning or enveloping.

DragomanJK
11-05-2002, 05:16 AM
So is there one going on? B/c the 2d animation thread has no messages and it speaks of 3d technology (lights, etc) and directs me here...

So about the 2d if available - Flash animation? That's what I figure... I don't know :hmm: What else is there for 2d, cut-outs? 3d converted to 2d flash... any integration of 3d models or geometry(house) into Flash?

road
11-05-2002, 05:30 AM
Can we just use a default biped skeleton out of Character Studio?

b.Schulz
11-05-2002, 05:31 AM
I wouldn't see why not as you should be focusing on animation....but as you can see in rule number....

"2) you are required to build your own rig, try not to use a rig that's not your own, this is why the challenges will help you in that area."

So I would say no.? Although "try not" is the key word there. so.....????
:shrug:

DragomanJK
11-05-2002, 05:48 AM
ok, for 3d animations, any rules on soft bodies and particles and stuff?

bentllama
11-05-2002, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by DragomanJK
ok, for 3d animations, any rules on soft bodies and particles and stuff?

soft bodies = deformations
rules state "no deformations"

particles...knock yourself out...if you can get them to look OK with a 3pt lighing scheme go ahead...BUT...the focus of this animation is CHARACTER ANIMATION [if you wanna do particles/dynamics perhaps you would be better versed at doing the VFX challenge]

bentllama
11-05-2002, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by road
Can we just use a default biped skeleton out of Character Studio?

A CS biped with a bit of work put into it would be fine for aniamtion purposes...we just do not want to see dozens of characters in clips that look the same...if you are going to use CS, try to have different geometry attached to it...

...in the end, it is all about good character animation !

bentllama
11-05-2002, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by b.Schulz
I wouldn't see why not as you should be focusing on animation....but as you can see in rule number....

"2) you are required to build your own rig, try not to use a rig that's not your own, this is why the challenges will help you in that area."

So I would say no.? Although "try not" is the key word there. so.....????
:shrug:

true the words TRY NOT are in there...but so is the word CHALLENGE...

most character animators should have a basic knowledge of rigging, and as you can see there are many of us here with tips and tricks to make your rigging experience more pleasant...

just remember, in the end it is all about the animation! :)

bentllama
11-05-2002, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by DragomanJK
So is there one going on? B/c the 2d animation thread has no messages and it speaks of 3d technology (lights, etc) and directs me here...

So about the 2d if available - Flash animation? That's what I figure... I don't know :hmm: What else is there for 2d, cut-outs? 3d converted to 2d flash... any integration of 3d models or geometry(house) into Flash?

there is a 2d challenge and that challenge would include work animated by hand that is not 3D... flash [no 3d], pencil tests, oil on glass, etc

south park or disney, the style doesnt matter so long as it remains true to 2d animation...

skello
11-05-2002, 06:55 AM
How come no blendshapes or deformations?...the animations will look better and more expressive with at least a couple of those
Is that going to be a rigid rule??

bentllama
11-05-2002, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by skello
How come no blendshapes or deformations?...the animations will look better and more expressive with at least a couple of those
Is that going to be a rigid rule??

A VERY RIGID RULE...

[at least for this first challenge...]

skello
11-05-2002, 07:13 AM
so what is my rig supposed to deform
?....should i just post an animated rig??....c'mon......whats all this no deformation stuff?
a bone must deform som'n...

bentllama
11-05-2002, 07:27 AM
so what is my rig supposed to deform
?....should i just post an animated rig??....c'mon......whats all this no deformation stuff?
a bone must deform som'n...

skello, I think you are missing the point...

no deformations...you can have geometry parented under a joint and that will represent the character, therefore the BONE does not deform anything the static mesh simply follows the joint...

...look at the mech character on your site...you can hard link/parent his geo to the joints and have them follow the joints themselves WITHOUT using any deformers...

skello
11-05-2002, 07:40 AM
aaaaw!!!!.....i guess no single mesh characters then:argh:

bentllama
11-05-2002, 07:46 AM
aaaaw!!!!.....i guess no single mesh characters then:argh:

no single mesh characters...but, you can slice them up into appropriate pieces and parent those peices to the joints for animation purposes...*wink*wink*

...and by the Power of Greyskull, they will suprisingly look very similar to the single mesh character you had before!

wow. wonders never cease to amaze me! :)

[ps: Ram Man was the best]

derelict
11-05-2002, 07:56 AM
you mention leveling the playing field.... might as well have a rig character in given software and have it downloaded for the animation work... for all the 3 categories.

lildragon
11-05-2002, 08:12 AM
new rules posted

12) To avoid server bandwith issues please keep your test animations below the 150K anything above this is problematic (this of course applies only to those people that will be uploading their WIP to our servers)

salud

bentllama
11-05-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by derelict
you mention leveling the playing field.... might as well have a rig character in given software and have it downloaded for the animation work... for all the 3 categories.

that was a thought we tossed around...the bigest problem is access to different packages :) ...we may stew over this idea in the future...

Fiber
11-05-2002, 09:18 AM
this is great,i'm in for sure.
I need some animations for my portfolio and this is just great.
I hope there are people out there planning on using messiah for LW,cause i'm gonna need all the help i can get!

oh,and 3 cheers for providing this oppurtunity(spelling?). :)

ptit_titi
11-05-2002, 09:22 AM
how heavy must be the final animation ? what kinda compression do we have to use in quicktime ? 15 sec is already heavy for little modem no ?

Plop
11-05-2002, 09:58 AM
dhhaaaaa I don't like these rules ... without expressions it's not very interresting ... it's a basic animation exercice and I wait a 'true' animation challenge (with no restriction on the character set up )

but it's great to see animation challenges on CGtalk ...:)

scene215
11-05-2002, 09:59 AM
So what it comes down to is that you are looking for a multiple sectioned character rigged up with forward kinematics correct? No inverse kinematics. So all we need to do is create the bones setup for the character and then animate it.

NANONEEN
11-05-2002, 10:04 AM
every body should plan his work has he wants it to!
if we find that our model is too difficult, it will be a lesson for the next time!
but it's true that adding bones instead of morph for expressions even if it 's your method seems to be strange!
it make the rigging harder!
Animation is more than just moving the body, it come together with sound, light, camera etc....especially when you want to make funny scene!

ptit_titi
11-05-2002, 10:06 AM
hmmm... maybe you're right Nanoneen, but every body don't have the same skill ruling animation. So for a first animation challenge, the simple way of moving only the main character is a good start for newbies like i am.

Totitch
11-05-2002, 10:14 AM
I agree with Baby and Derzen.

An animation without Facial expressions can't be really interesting. Without sound too.
So if i participate the challenge, i will do 2 version. One with all the restriction to participate the challenge, and one with all i think is good to do a good character animation...

But i 'm very pleased to see an animation challenge here!

Even if your rules are hard, Bravo mods!!! :thumbsup:

dilithium
11-05-2002, 11:42 AM
Dear Sir/madam,

I have taken part in animation competitions on the web previously and also animate as my job. I feel that some of the restrictions (if I have read them correctly) are a little harsh.

I dislike (a lot) rigging characters. That is why there are people hired at work to do them. 99% of us cannot be jack-of-all-trades. I do not, and never did, want to be a technical animator. Please, don't force me. It will not 'level the field', only hinder those animators who cannot model or rig. If I wish to use someone else's model, nicely rigged, why not?

Whereas I have no problems with sectional geometry, I do have a major gripe with no blendshapes/morph targets. My job is based around upto a dozen characters. A lot of this animation comes from facial features - eyebrows and eyes, especially. Wire and lattice deformation is almost essantial without attaching many more joints to comensate. If I can't animate it will show, regardless of how many joints/morph targets I have.

There isn't enough time to work on two competitions and there are other websites without such restrictions.

However, your selection of competitions so far have been excellent. I only wish I could model well enough to take part. That and a bit of spare time :)

Thank you for listening. I hope my constructive comments have been taken in good faith.

Yours sincerely.

John Lee
11-05-2002, 01:24 PM
What about face bones? Sectional gemometry does that mean just use boxes parented together????

thanks

Neolee

Rogue
11-05-2002, 03:58 PM
I don't understand why everyone is whinning. The way I understand it, it's an excersize in body motion and expression. Therefor there is no need for any deforming geometry. If you feel you can't make the animation 'interesting' without expressions, then your missing the whole point of this challenge.

As for the rigging, I see both sides. I can understand someone not wanting to get caught up in setting up a character and just focus on animating. But understanding the setup you're using will benefit you when animating....understanding limitations, how to fix certain issues when the time arises, or how to work around a problem.

They setup doesn't have to be elaborate. Just use some simple shapes and place there pivot points where the joint is and you're done.

1) it's easy to setup

2) your going to get good feeback (always a plus for animating).

Setting up the IK for the legs may be difficult for beginners but you should have an understanding of this anyways and there should be plenty of tutorials out there for you to use.

A guy from Pixar said, "we focus on the body language before we do facial expression. If we can sell the body language, then the facial expression is the icing on the cake."

Express with the BODY, not the face!!! If you want to be an animator, you better learn to do this.

John Lee
11-05-2002, 04:03 PM
Hey rouge

U nailed it with a hammer there my friend! So are u entering?

Neolee40

Rogue
11-05-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by neolee40
Hey rouge

U nailed it with a hammer there my friend! So are u entering?

Neolee40
Hey man.

Well, I'm animating a spot for the 10 second club, if i get done and have time to start this one, I will. I'd really like to do one for here too, but there's only so much time in a day. Each month, I'm going to have to evaluate which challenge seems more fun or something I need to work on. :)

dilithium
11-05-2002, 04:34 PM
What if you plan to do a character without limbs to express. There's nothing in the comp that says it has to be bipedal.

The mammoth from Ice Age had a mouth/teeth/tongue obscured by a great big trunk... So no mouth shapes but, the extra bits (love DVD's) mention that all of his emotion comes through his eyes/eyebrows.

It's a fun thing. I have enough restrictions at work. There's no prize up for grabs. Let people enjoy the competition as they see fit. If they screw up, Great! You learn from your mistakes as well as having restrictions imposed upon you.

:beer:

lildragon
11-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by dilithium
There's no prize up for grabs. Let people enjoy the competition as they see fit.

Indeed there is, Red-Eye Studio (one of the sponsors on the right) for one is supplying a "moves" CD valued @ almost $3000, we've still yet to release info on the prizes, but we have a month to do so... :D

salud

bentllama
11-05-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by scene215
So what it comes down to is that you are looking for a multiple sectioned character rigged up with forward kinematics correct? No inverse kinematics. So all we need to do is create the bones setup for the character and then animate it.

you can use whatever rig you want to drive the characters, IK, FK, spline IK, mathmatical expressions, whatever...

...just follow the other rules...

dilithium
11-05-2002, 04:58 PM
Indeed there is.

Hmmmm? That could sway a few decisions. Now it starts to feel like another freelance job :) Only I might not get paid. Even more like a freelance job :p

rockrat
11-05-2002, 04:59 PM
Created, of course, by me??

Or does everything have to be from scratch?

And can you use more than one character?

bentllama
11-05-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Totitch
An animation without Facial expressions can't be really interesting. Without sound too.

I am sure many of this months entries will prove you wrong. :) :beer:

Ckerr812
11-05-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
Indeed there is, Red-Eye Studio (one of the sponsors on the right) for one is supplying a "moves" CD valued @ almost $3000, we've still yet to release info on the prizes, but we have a month to do so...

salud

Does anyone else see the irony of winning a mo cap CD for an animation contest :)

As for the rules I think there great, this means you concentrate on building the skeleton and character set up, so the movements will be smooth and not look like there straight from Character studio.

lildragon
11-05-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by rockrat
Created, of course, by me??

Or does everything have to be from scratch?

And can you use more than one character?

Yup you can use anything, just have fun animating

salud

dilithium
11-05-2002, 05:15 PM
this means you concentrate on building the skeleton and character set up, so the movements will be smooth and not look like there straight from Character studio.

Isn't this the opposite of what we're arguing (sorry) constructively debating about? :wip: Minimal set-up time...Maximum animation time.

lildragon
11-05-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Ckerr812
Does anyone else see the irony of winning a mo cap CD for an animation contest :)

LOL!! yeah yeah :p

Ckerr812
11-05-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by dilithium
Isn't this the opposite of what we're arguing (sorry) constructively debating about? :wip: Minimal set-up time...Maximum animation time.

I dunno, Rules are rules. If you don't follow them, then your fired ;)..hehe

Totitch
11-05-2002, 05:26 PM
Bentlama: You are sure many of this months entries will prove you wrong...I hope so!...Your entry maybe?! :hmm:
And i know it can be...But look at
http://10secondclub.org/ .
There is no big rules and it's ok... Some rules you put are great (Lightning for exemple which isn't the aim of this challenge) but morphing is a good way to animate a mouth or eyebrow...It's just a restriction too much...(And a lot of people said it to you :shrug: )

Ok! i don't want to be boring! I hopen my mouth too much sometimes! But i just want the thing to be better in a better world!!!:rolleyes: :D ...let's go and we will see! I'm very excited to do it!!! :thumbsup:

muckywetnoodle
11-05-2002, 05:47 PM
Hmm, I would like to do these but I can't say I agree with the no morph target thing either. I think that should be to the discretion of the animator. I've been working on setting up a cast of characters for just this sort of thing but of course I can't use them now so most of my month would be spent designing, rigging and setting up rather than animating. Don't have time for that. :(

MikaelPersson
11-05-2002, 06:10 PM
I cant really see what you are whining about (ok. debating ;) ). These are the rules, prove that you have the cabability to animate. This way there will probably be some animation to show, not just fancy setups with a little animation tagging along.
I really like these simple constraining rules.

Stop chatting. Animate! :)

:wavey:

levin
11-05-2002, 06:15 PM
i disagree that the no morphs restriction would make it boring. in fact i believe it would make it more dynamic!!

think of a character without a face... and how to give life to it. an earthworm doesnt have a face. so does a shadow. yet we see these stuff in traditional animation.

finishing a marathon is not a challenge. finishing a marathon with only one good leg is.

baby
11-05-2002, 06:21 PM
I agree with all that...

but too many restrictions is no good...

the rule should say only body movement will be judge, so no need for morph blend ect ect...
but it shouldn't be don't use that, or that, or that....

artist = freedom

Ok I also talk too much...I don't even know in which challenge I'm going to participate...

if it's the animation one...I will put blink, and morph and whatever I want...then I'll be thrown away.... I don't care I will have done what I wanted.... :)

isn't it the participant who made the challenge how it became ?!?
so why shouldn't they give their opinion ?!?

and where is Pascal ?!?!?

a character without morph blink is....dead.... :wip: :rolleyes:

bentllama
11-05-2002, 06:32 PM
PEOPLE...

The reasoning behind the rules for the 1st ever animation challenge here at CG Talk are simple. Myself, Jason Schliefer and the other mods thought that a simpler, more straight forward first challenge would be best.

Any good animator, as well as the animation masters out there will tell you that the body language is what sells the character.
Animated storytelling is all about the "suspension of disbelief"...and you can acheive that with body language alone.
It can be difficult for some, but that is why it is called a "challenge".

This first challenge is ALL ABOUT THE ANIMATION...

We never said you could not have eyebrows, eye direction, a jaw or any other feature...we only stated that it had to be NON DEFORMING...

Several of you may find the rules of this first challenge stringent, but I ask you to give it a chance. The fun and feedback you will receive from this challenge will be very rewarding. The prize will be too, even if it is ironic. :)

There will be ample time to provide feedback about this first challenge and a brainstorming thread will be started before our next aniamtion challenge...so I ask that you all reserve your comments for the near future, and focus on making this first CG talk animation challenge a great one! :)

Enough talk! Let's get animating! :) :beer:

baby
11-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Let's get animating!

right now I can't, I'm eating chocolate and brioche !!! :cool: sorry :p :scream:

Totitch
11-05-2002, 06:42 PM
:annoyed: .... (Thinking)...:annoyed: ....
Oki! it's oki for me for this time! (Mrrfff!) :thumbsup:

But you know what to do for the next one! ;)

Ps: Allez Baby! on se fait celui la comme ça! Y'a nanoneen qui va surement le faire aussi! Fait comme le bambou, plie pour cette fois, mais y'a toujours un retour aprés avoir plié! (Lao tseu le grand sage qui a quand meme la rage mais comme il peut pas faire autrement, il ferme sa gueule ) ;)

baby
11-05-2002, 06:43 PM
look my smiley is morphing => :insane:

nananananeeeeeeeeeereeeeeee

mouhahahahahahaha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

muckywetnoodle
11-05-2002, 07:35 PM
I think a few minutes debating hours of setup is entirely valid, hence an issues thread.

Even a super-simple segmented character takes some time to come up with, make and rig that could have been spent animating.

Anhow, just my thoughts. I can understand making the rules pretty exacting especially for the first round but I'd personally like more flexibility in the future.

NANONEEN
11-05-2002, 07:56 PM
NO, I'm not agree with you ....
listen what I wanted to say....
because I'm agree with the fact that I want to .... :shrug: ....spend...no...to say that.....euh....it's not possible to....morph.........or stretch....
:p

vive Paris!
je dors le tour eiffel et le sacrée coeur...
avez vous des croissant madame?

escusez moi, j'avai rien à dire mais j'etais quand meme énérvé.....

Totitch
11-05-2002, 09:05 PM
:D

Sacré français!!! C'est le révolution dans tout le Paris!
Bonjours madame! Je veux le baguette et le formage! :bounce:

SheepFactory
11-05-2002, 09:10 PM
:D

Sacré français!!! C'est le révolution dans tout le Paris!
Bonjours madame! Je veux le baguette et le formage! :bounce:

RIGHT! :buttrock:

so what did he say?

NANONEEN
11-05-2002, 09:14 PM
et aussi le courouhasshant:beer:

lildragon
11-05-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
RIGHT! :buttrock:

so what did he say?

from the MASTER LINGUIST BABELFISH

"Crowned French!!! It is the revolution in all Paris! Bonjours Madam! I want the rod and forming! "

weeeeeeeeeeee

NANONEEN
11-05-2002, 09:21 PM
good translation lildragon! :applause:
try to traduce that:
y'en a et bah i' ont pas trop envi de faire que y'a pas de morph et de stretch itou itou a bah i sont pas tres trop content mais i vont quand meme le faire....parce que apres tout c'est juste pour rire avec marcel bélivot!!!!

Totitch
11-05-2002, 09:21 PM
it's a joke lil!

We laugh a little with nano!!! Hahaha!
Because only us, French Bastards open our mouth! But we are not bad at all! Just contradiction spirit! Let it go!!! :D

I said nothing important! Something like Damned Frenchy, it's the revolution! Hello madame, i want croissant and cheese!!!
Ahahaha! Sorry! French 2 cents humor!

road
11-05-2002, 09:22 PM
quicktime with sorenson 3 a must (sorenson 3 codec should be free within the quicktime install)

anyone have a clue how i can get my animation into this format?

muckywetnoodle
11-05-2002, 09:42 PM
try to traduce that:
y'en a et bah i' ont pas trop envi de faire que y'a pas de morph et de stretch itou itou a bah i sont pas tres trop content mais i vont quand meme le faire....parce que apres tout c'est juste pour rire avec marcel bélivot!!!!

I am the best at making apple pie. You all shall bow to my pie making. Bah, I hate blueberry pie, bow to the apple. Bow now or suffer!!!!

Nahaz
11-06-2002, 12:17 AM
Charactor animation is NOT about moving something realistically, it is about bringing something to life.

A cube can be infused with life.

Totitch
11-06-2002, 01:02 AM
Ohhh really?! :eek:

bentllama
11-06-2002, 01:22 AM
I am at an impass as to which one to animate... mover? restroom? or bank machine?

I cannot decide.

b.Schulz
11-06-2002, 01:24 AM
Nahaz is totally right Totitch .

That's a difficult decision there bentllama. They are all great exercises.

I wish I had time to participate.
:annoyed:

Plop
11-06-2002, 09:23 AM
je vouloir peut etre lo faire aussi sitoul'monde s'y mé .... mé sé vrémant paske tout lo monde que j'aime bien si mé ...

bon je rendez vous a le tour eiffel ... y fo ke jy aïe

NANONEEN
11-06-2002, 09:33 AM
oh!
ah le tour eiffel, vraiment, n'est il pas?
moi aussi je vais à le toue eiffel et j'adore les petites françaises...
bisou sur le bouche
" -what he says?
-qu"est ce qui dit?
-what he says?..."

Totitch
11-06-2002, 09:39 AM
tout le français fait bisous sur le bouche dans le rue devant le zenfant! Houlala!
Bonjour Madmazelle...Voulez vous coucher avec moi?!
on va a la Moulin rouge! c'est le Gai Paris! trés trés chic avec le champâââgne s'il vous plait!

NANONEEN
11-06-2002, 09:53 AM
Paris paillette!!
paris c'est la fete!
levez les gambettes!
bougez vous bandeuh de creveeeettes!!
Paris la rue!
paris pigalle!
paris banal!
paris mo nu men tAAAAAAAAle !!!!:buttrock:

baby
11-06-2002, 10:11 AM
Paris vos gueules !!!!!!!

bande de spammer !!!

;)

LichiMan
11-06-2002, 11:56 AM
I love this Animation challenge... but...

Sorenson 3?

The linux users have problems with this format because Apple doesn't build quicktime for linux.

I could make one .mov file for my final animation, but I can't make all my animation tests on Sorenson 3...

What can the linux users do?

Totich, Nanoneen ... hope I see you in this challenge :wavey:

KayosIII
11-06-2002, 01:49 PM
AS the previous poster put... soronsen is not avaible for either encoding or playback under linux.

Only a small subset of the quicktime formats are supported. (the ones that are use mpeg based compression or png or jpg).

Some of the MPEG-4 based codecs work quite well under linux, compress well and show good quality.

I think divx is supported on Mac, Windows & Linux. Xvid - would be a preferable choice but does not at this point support mac. Since It is open source I see it being avaible on Mac long before soronson is available under linux.

I would be happy to help with testing video formats....

maelstrom
11-06-2002, 07:45 PM
i'm considering to participate in the contest too... i think it's a great idea to constrain yourself to a restricted format and make the best out of it!
it reminds me of Dogma: back to the roots and use just simple tools to tell a story: gimmicks not allowed!

i already have an idea and will start storyboarding soon.

just to make sure:

static camera -
does this disallow the use of blank cuts to suggest passing time?

sectional geometry -
no binding whatsoever allowed? the character i've got in mind is not human and would look awkward being basically built out of detached meshes... a smooth single mesh would suit much better.

bentllama
11-06-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by maelstrom
i'm considering to participate in the contest too... i think it's a great idea to constrain yourself to a restricted format and make the best out of it!
it reminds me of Dogma: back to the roots and use just simple tools to tell a story: gimmicks not allowed!

i already have an idea and will start storyboarding soon.

just to make sure:

static camera -
does this disallow the use of blank cuts to suggest passing time?

sectional geometry -
no binding whatsoever allowed? the character i've got in mind is not human and would look awkward being basically built out of detached meshes... a smooth single mesh would suit much better.

NO BINDING/NO DEFORMATIONS - only sectional/parented geometry

maelstrom
11-06-2002, 09:45 PM
oki, roger that!

cam question?

puppetmaster
11-06-2002, 09:50 PM
>> Nahaz <<

Charactor animation is NOT about moving something realistically, it is about bringing something to life.

A cube can be infused with life.

Yes man !!!:thumbsup:

Nemises
11-06-2002, 10:12 PM
Gonna be hard to get that cube to life without deformers though! ..hehe

Joke by the way :).. I'm all for this challenge..
I'm a hopeless animater, but one doesnt get any better by NOT animating!..
I have a Character and Small story in mind, and will story board it tonight, and post..
It wont be anywhere near as good as you pro guys, but what the heck...at least without fancy setups and deformers i have a "chance" :)

Totitch
11-06-2002, 10:15 PM
puppetmaster! :cry:

But who says the opposite?
Nobody here says a cube can't have life! Pfouuuu! :surprised
Why trying to snub us? Every body looked at "The Dot and the Line"(chuck jones) and knows everything can be alive! Ok!

We just say that too much rules and contrainte are not approprietness with an artistic work, and pleasure (We are here for that no?)... Some rules are great and essential! other less!

Nothing more! It was not an attaque again Mod rules, no! Just a point of view and a critic to do the challenge better! nothing more... can we critic something without be considered as a killjoy!

Let the challenge began! Enjoy all together!!! :bounce:

puppetmaster
11-06-2002, 10:36 PM
Nobody here says a cube can't have life! Pfouuuu!

?????
I have only substitute Nahaz post nothing more.....
I didn't say anybody says that....joke...:p

Rogue
11-07-2002, 01:23 AM
We just say that too much rules and contrainte are not approprietness with an artistic work, and pleasure (We are here for that no?)...
I respect what you're trying to say, but I don't agree. The art will come when you make a stick figure with no face come to life. A facial deformation (eyes, brows, mouth, etc) will make the animation read easier. Making it read without these features will be more challenging and vastly improve you skills and understanding of character animation.

Don't make me quote the guy from Pixar again. :)

NANONEEN
11-07-2002, 04:56 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by X xtreme3DKillerInstinctMoonLight ShadownShaolinShaquill
I think 3D animation is good but I love skateboard to
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I totally disagree with you X xtreme3DKillerInstinctMoonLight ShadownShaolinShaquill !!!
how can you say such a ridiculous thing! animation is not....euh....yes....but.....not the skateboa......

Chong
11-07-2002, 05:41 AM
eRR, I can use Character studio right?:shrug:

rockrat
11-07-2002, 08:49 AM
Is it OK to use a couple of textures on the background/set?

road
11-07-2002, 05:08 PM
I'm a little confused .... do we post on cgchallenge after we are completely done with the challenge? and we post are wip here?
Does that go for all the challenges?

stzaske
11-08-2002, 09:10 AM
I don't mind most of the rules. The only rule that I don't like is the rule requiring you to build your own rig. I'm not looking forward to building a rig from scratch. I have a 3rd party rig I almost always use.

As for Character Studio, I believe the rules, as stated, mean you CANNOT use Character Studio. If I remember 3D Studio Max, Character Studio creates the biped skeleton for you. The rules state you have to create your own rig, so that would be against the rules.

-=STZ=-

MikaelPersson
11-09-2002, 09:16 PM
To all of you doing restroom animations. I would just like to point you to some great inspiration. Animations created by Daniel Martinez Lara:

only one light (1.44 Mb cinepak) (http://www.3dluvr.com/pepeland/a_only-one-light.zip)

and the long version:
WC preview (4.9 Mb mpeg4) (http://www.3dluvr.com/pepeland/a_Wc_Preview.zip)

:wavey:

KayosIII
11-11-2002, 12:49 AM
Ok I did a little testing and OpenDivX encoded Quicktime works well for Linux Users... (at least those using Intel32 architecture) -- should be available for Windows and Mac users, gives good compression and gives output quality.

Please consider it in place of Soronson for future challenges.

stzaske
11-12-2002, 03:01 AM
Hmmm...is it just me, or do the two avatars above mine look alarmingly similar?

-=STZ=-

Rogue
11-12-2002, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by stzaske
Hmmm...is it just me, or do the two avatars above mine look alarmingly similar?

-=STZ=-
I saw your avatar just the other night. I friend showed me this animation that was bizarre to say the least, but strangely funny.

eek
11-12-2002, 10:08 AM

Body animation doesnt always come first. Firstly if the characters got a head then you lead with that, then the body say 2-4 frames later.If the characters got eyes then you lead with them then the head, then the body. All down to anticipation - action - reaction,
- followthrough from a thought process. Everything you do starts from a thought unless it a reaction to something,eg.being punched but even then your eyes react at about a 100th/sec so you head may delay just 1 frame! I comes from reaction and thought processes. If you can see the object about to hit you etc, even for a split second your brain will take over reacting causing subsequent reactions, throwing your arms out say.

Everything you do is a thought process. Unless its a reaction to something. Which will in effect cause a thought process leading to action, and in turn a reaction.

MAN, this is complicated!

Eek ( been away for a while, just poping in!)

baby
11-12-2002, 12:56 PM
well usually you don't start animating the facials until you don't have the correct body animation/motion...

I didn't invent this, it's in the preston blair courses, the illusion of life ect ect...one of the first thing U learn in an animation class...

that's the purpose of the "bag" or the "ball" exercice...

if the global movement succeed in showing what U want, you succeed in your animation then U can go for the facial exp...

then what U want to say in your animation is a different matter...

I'm talking about the technical process...not the meaning of an animation...

eek
11-13-2002, 05:19 PM
Im not talking about facial stuff i.e lip synch - eyeborows etc. Im talking about moving/rotating the head leading the action. And im not saying the head always leads, but generally theres a thought process going on.. also the overlap maybe just 1 or 2 frames onto the body. Also the head and body may both lead before overlap happens in either. Where's the action coming from? is the key. If you suddenly hear something, your eyes flick round, head 1-2 frames later. Body and chest next,maybe slight followthrough in chest ,body.

Eek

dungbeetle
11-15-2002, 02:28 AM
toook me a real loooooooong time to read tru all the 7 pages of posted threads.how come some people just keep complaining?if it doesn't suit what u want, just don't enter!!!. :airguitar
if u've chosen to enter, then don't complain! let's start animating!

dungbeetle
11-15-2002, 02:31 AM
hi,newbie here.

can't really understand what's the 3rd topic, the mover, means the character's job is a mover?what's a mover? a tracktor/crane driver?can someone please gimme some examples :)

:bounce:

Rogue
11-15-2002, 04:19 AM
The way I understand it, it is an animation of a character moving something....anything....and in some way it is awkward to do so. You could choose to have a character moving something like a swingset. That would be an awkward object for most entities to move. Or, I suppose, it could be a simple object to move but for some circumstance, it becomes difficult. For instance, you could have a guy trying to pick up a book and all the pages fall out and try to gather them all before they hit the ground....or a boulder fall from nowhere on the book. The sky is the limits. :)

Hope this helps out.

dungbeetle
11-15-2002, 10:41 AM
got an image of what that MOVEr means :)
was planning to participate in the competiton, this morning, but unfortunately i've just been briefed an assignment, to animate a toilet bowl,being kicked out BY an outhouse("character with no limbs" project)..
too bad. will try to enter the next competition!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.