PDA

View Full Version : Firm Tests Gaming on Movie-Style Screens

RobertoOrtiz
08-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Quote:
"Ever wish you could experience the "holodeck," the 3-D virtual environment aboard the Starship Enterprise? There's a company that believes it's come close, letting video game players play with huge, high-definition screens that envelop the user.

HoloDek, which takes its name from the "Star Trek" series, has been testing out the concept in Hampton for about a year.

"This is a movie theater for gamers," Mike Fortier, vice president for technology at HoloDek, told The Boston Globe.

The company's test site features 42 gaming stations with high-speed personal computers and high-definition screens ranging in size from 17 inches to 13 feet.

Then there's the "half-pipe," which features a screen that is 20 feet wide and 12 feet high. Another creation is a sphere, which is 20 feet in diameter and eventually will offer a 360-degree wraparound gaming effect. The gamer sits inside the sphere on a robot that rumbles, banks, and spins out, providing many of the same effects as a flight simulator."

>>Link<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050829/ap_on_hi_te/movie_theater_gaming)
-R

ThomasMahler
08-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Can't wait to have such a "sphere" at home!

Doh! ;)

percydaman
08-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Sounds cool...would rather they didn't use the term "holodeck" though. To the non startrekky among us it sounds geeky, and to the startrekky among us, its prolly a travesty to call it what it aint... :)

t-toe
08-29-2005, 06:13 PM
yeah, I'm no huge trek fan, but I know enough to know that that is hardly a "holodeck". I'd call it more an "IMAX for Gaming". plus, I refuse to believe Paramount hasn't already trademarked the name "Holodeck" to sell to the highest bidder when the technology becomes available.

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2005, 06:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.