PDA

View Full Version : demo reel 2004-2005

Shirley
08-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Here is my first demo reel

it contains older work as well as recents.

The software used are : Blender, 3Ds max, and Combustion.

I would be grateful to recieve constructive comments from this community.

right-click the link and save as :

http://silent.angel.free.fr/Yoothfilms.mov (http://silent.angel.free.fr/Yoothfilms.mov)

Tanks a lot in advance.

Best regards to all

e.

gabio
08-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Look like blender particle at some place. If so you could render particle in a separate pass, turn vector on and apply motion blur.

Nice overall feelling. The music bug me a bit though. Like it's not fitting...

Good luck!

BgDM
08-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Some nice work. Glad to see you are still around too, garbager. :thumbsup:

I think there was a bit too much on the "Play Dead" titles though. Could have been downplayed a bit IMO, as the other stuff was much better.

BgDM

jussing
08-29-2005, 06:11 PM
OK, here's my take. Don't mean to be harsh, just trying to help. ;)

1) Most importantly: too damn long! I was bored, and barely watched it to the end. If I was the reel-resposible in a company you sent it to, and I had watched 20 reels that day, and still had 20 to go, I'd have stopped it after a minute. Re-edit to an absolute maximum of two minutes.

2) Start with the best work, but save ONE impressive shot for last. Put all the second-best in the middle. Cut all the "so-so" work out of the reel.
Personally, I think your particles were cool, and your Toon Town-style shots were good, too. All the cloned-robot clips were not impressive enough to take up the majority of the reel (I don't know if they did, but that's how it felt to me when I watched it... robots, robots, robots....). Plus, what did you do on those robot clips anyway? Texturing, modelling, everything? They look like clips that might be cool when they are finished, but.... they really don't look finished, sorry.

3) Like someone else, I really didn't like the music... Now, firstly, I guess that shouldn't stop someone from liking the graphics, and second, it's a music-opinion thing, and the guy watching your reel just might love the music... Still, I'd advice you to select some music that more people than that band's fanclub will like. :)

Hope you can use this input. Again, I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to help. ;)

Cheers,
- Jonas

jussing
08-29-2005, 06:14 PM
I liked the color-grading shot, too. Lots of people need to make DV look like 35mm scope film these days. Put that shot somewhere in the beginning. :)

Shirley
08-30-2005, 07:06 AM
thanks a lot for these advices and comments. This is my first reel, so I really needed some advice.
About the shots, there all are personnal work, even the live shooting. that is why I thought it wasn't important to mention who did what, as it would be even more boring to write my name all the time :)

I definitely feel it is too long, I'll try to make it shorter.

if you have any advice about the best shots to put at the start, at the end, I would be very grateful.

thanks again it really helps people!!! :)

jussing
08-30-2005, 09:16 AM
About the shots, there all are personnal work, even the live shooting. that is why I thought it wasn't important to mention who did what, as it would be even more boring to write my name all the time :)
OK, you're very right about that. Then I think you should put that information once in the end title card (or in the beginning), because when I'm watching it I'm thinking you did some of it, not all of it - because the clips all look so different.

Good luck!

- Jonas

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2005, 09:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.