PDA

View Full Version : Demoreel 2005 Michael Toumazou

JuGGerNauTT
08-29-2005, 07:28 AM
Hello guys and girls of CG Talk, the name is Mike, reaching you from sunny Cyprus. Been following CGTalk for quite sometime now, but like many people, never actually posted any work :argh: ...... Too embarassed!!!

Well, I've finished from the Animation course at Bournemouth in 2004 and since then I have worked as a freelancer in my country, while applying at "gaming companies" mainly, in the UK and US. What I need, like most people here, is an honest evaluation of my work from you guys. Because frankly after almost a year past and many unresponded mails, I'm starting to believe that I just don't have what it takes to fulfill my dream.... :cry: :banghead: :banghead:

Seriously now, I would apriciate it very much if anyone of you would bother to download and review it. If it sucks, it sucks, if something's a miss or of it's just plain wrong, let me know. Would also be greatful of any help that might provide useful in my job-hunt.

Thanks again for reading through this boys and girls. Here is the link to my reel:

http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0VDQTZBVT44SZ16RF8LGL9FMU8

** Zip File containg a WM9 720 x 576 Showreel and a "breakdown" image ----- 40MB
(Since it's a temporary link, could anyone mirror it too? Hope I'm not asking for too much :hmm: )

Here are a few pics to tease you too.... :)

kira-hime
08-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Even though I haven't actually made a demo reel myself yet, I've been thinking about it a lot and read all the demo reel threads on cgtalk in preparation ^.-

So, what I suggest is that you start your reel much, much faster. Also keep in mind most of the time the guys who watch reels have the sound muted to screen out all the annoying Matrix music they usually get. So an animation based off music and nothing else probably isn't the best way to go, especially when there's that really long part where you see nothing but the bottom of the chandelier while he's playing.

Also it's kind of taboo to be a 3d generalist when you send in reels, they tend to look for modelers, texturerers, lighters, animators...I'd pick one you like and work on it, and incorporate new work into your reel.

And just so you know, it's best to put reels up in .mov format here, cause of the people who (for some reason >.>) use macs. And unzipping is often too much work too. Just to let you know. :thumbsup:

Good luck!

JuGGerNauTT
08-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Hi Molly and thanks for your comments. you are right about the reel starting too late, just wanted to give some time to the viewer to realize what I do. Well the first shots of the piece are preety abstract as you noted. It starts of with the piano interior, then it's the reflection on the piano's tail and then it slowly introduces you into the scene. Just so that you get the story, is about a vampire who lost his mortal wife and comes into this tower to perform a piece of music and bring her soul back.

I tried to compose the music as less complex as possible but still maintain a dramatic atmosphere that comes to it's peak when he dies in the end. But yeah if the guys have the volume off, I guess all my work is wasted. Bad thing is that this is my best piece of work and if I cut it out, my ass is gone!! :p

You are right about separating jobs into modellers, texture artists e.t.c, in big companies, but to be honest, I'm aming for mid-level companies, that require people that do loads of different stuff, since my work cannot be compared with the high-profile work I see around CGTalk. (I'm not that talented). So, because I know my limitations, I try to adapt as best I can.

Will give QT a few more shots to get the reel out. :scream: :wip: :wip: :wip:

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2005, 12:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.