PDA

View Full Version : Modeling with ZBrush

godfatherwow
08-29-2005, 12:37 AM
Just wonder, dose zbrush is the way to go now with modeling?

AA_Tyrael
09-02-2005, 02:23 AM
i dont think zbrush is the way to "model"

It's used primarily to add details that are impossible to do with most of the primary apps(maya,xsi) due to the high poly counts:/

You could use zspheres to model in zbrush, but to be honest i prefer maya for modelling, and then zbrush for detailing

And that only if i need to add a lot of detail, maya artisan(sculpting mode) is quite good for most of my work :-)

ThomasMahler
09-02-2005, 09:48 AM
I think most modelers start to combine their workflows now - There's no really easy and straightforward way yet to retopologize high poly models, so starting from scratch in ZBrush most of the time isn't the way to go.

So you could combine the traditional way of doing models with the ZBrush way of modeling - Having the forms in place before you start worrying about topology is a good way to go.

coCoKNIght
09-02-2005, 10:37 AM
If you do modelling all the way in zbrush your uv's will be a total mess. This will make texturing in 2d apps such as photoshop impossible. Thus you'll have to make textures in zbrush, which is actually not so bad but can get quiet time consuming depending on how much textures you need to do and how complex the model is.

When starting the modelling in a standard 3d app, you can uv mapp your model to your likings, then model details in zbrush and make textures with the 2d app you like.

note that i'm no pro yet with zbrush, so this might not be entirely correct.

zenmonkeycat
09-02-2005, 04:55 PM
I think most modelers start to combine their workflows now...

Yep. I usually go from Wings3D (basic form) to Max, but now I've started to go backwards too (using splines and extra stuff that Max does, then take that into Wings for details.) I think most people in 3d, not just modellers, use hybrid workflows; I know when I texture I work in PS, Painter and max, and when I render output I'll combine several Max renderings using Photoshop, occasionally bringing in Painter to get the right feel.

I'd argue that audio people are the masters of workflow combination, since you often get MIDI sequencers hooked to soft synths making wave files that you bring into Soundforge to edit, then you combine them in Acid or Cubase, then run the output through a mastering program. You'll find rigs with 20 programs all working together, particularly when some of them are open-source or freeware. So modellers and texture artists have a long way to go on that front.

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2005, 04:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.